PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Balls: Glasses, Contact Lenses, Lasik

issycue
11-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey everybody... I wear glasses with moderate vision correction. Without correction, I can see the end rail and a fuzzy object ball (that really looks like 2 or 3). Generally speaking, my glasses get in the way, and I end up playing without them. Has anybody else had the same problems? and if so, what was your solution? Contacts? Bigger eye glasses? Lasik surgery?

ridewiththewind
11-18-2006, 03:23 PM
I used to wear contacts when playing, but went back to glasses. Even tho' rooms in our area are now smokeless, you will find that the climate control systems used in many of these places will dry out those contacts pronto...and there is nothing worse while your shooting than dry contacts!!

If I could afford Lasik and it worked (I have astigmatism), I would...but never again with the contacts.

Lisa

Flex
11-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Check these out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250048857354&category=31415

My glasses are similar. And I have no problem even when getting really down on the ball. The top of the frame never gets in the way.

Flex

JohnInNH
11-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Paul,

I had the same problem years ago and had to give up pool until I discovered contacts and now at least I can be competitive as long as they don't dry out especially with air conditioning, I carry eye drops with me whenever I have a problem with dry eyes.

John

Williebetmore
11-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I finally found the solution. Regular prescription glasses, rimless, decent-sized lenses (but not "frog-like"), super light frames, set nose pieces so they ride high (up to, or just above eyebrow level). I have progressive bifocals, the reading portion made fairly narrow and low, the top portion set for 2-10 foot focus (not infinity). All I can say is WOW, the visibility and comfort are unbelieveable, and most people don't even notice them.`

I also got the UV protective, anti-glare coating. I didn't do the high focal center thing (just made sure the entire usable upper area is for 2-10 foot focusing, only the very bottom of the lenses is for progressive bifocals, so there is great focus anywhere above the bifocal line).

I also was unable to get any "cable" attachments for the ear pieces. Does anyone know where I could get some; the glasses would be perfect if I could convert (they're pretty nice already).

P.S. - I HAD to get the progressive bifocals at the bottom of the lenses for scorekeeping and tip grooming purposes. I'll be playing breakup soon and he cheats like crazy, I'll have to be able to watch the scoresheet.

VIProfessor
11-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I've worn glasses since I was six years old and thus, despite playing for over thirty years, I've never played a game without my glasses. For someone like me, or for anyone who simply prefers glasses to contacts, the solution is to get glasses with high rims and/or to wear a strap to keep the glasses from slipping down your nose. This will work even with an extremely low stance (my very short beard brushes my cue when I'm down on my shot). Otherwise, I'd say go with contacts as long as you're prepared to deal with them drying out under climate-controlled conditions.

By the way, Lasik is always an option. I know that Buddy Hall, for one, has had excellent results from it.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

SnakePool
11-18-2006, 05:37 PM
I have seen a nose piece that elevates the level of the glasses higher up the nose. I couldn't even begin telling you how to find them. It does look odd when you first see them on someone but I'm sure they are effective. I use contacts and I carry around rewetting drops at all times in my case. I also have a pair that is just for the pool halls and a pair for everyday use. My pool hall set are cleaned daily and haven't had too many problems, my brand is O2optix, they are a breathable contact lens. I wish I could afford lasik as it would correct my astigmatism, balls are always fuzzy. (no pun intended) LOL

GTeye
11-18-2006, 06:10 PM
You can certainly have Lasik with Astigmatism, I know this because I had it done just 20 days ago.

My left eye had a large astigmatism and my right eye had a very small one.

They corrected both of my eyes and did a wonderful job. My right eye sees 20/15 now and my left eye sees just a tiny tiny bit under 20/20. With both my eyes I can see 20/15 clear as day now.

Before the surgery I would see double images, much like you described, one bold and solid and 2 others that were transparent images.

The reason my left eye is not as good as my right eye is because it turned out I suffer from amblyopia, basically meaning one eye never became as strong as the other when I was young. Luckily it was a mild case, some people wind up basically blind due to it. Lasik cannot exactly cure the amblyopia but it can get rid of that eyes astigmatism and enable it to see to the best of it's ability, which in my case was slightly worse than 20/20.

There are some halo's around lights at first after the lasik, they told me it lasts from a couple of months to a year usually but it's only been 20 something days for me and they are virtually gone already for me.

For me it has worked out wonderful of course not everyones results will be identical but at the moment I'm very happy with the lasik results and if your not suffering from something like amblyopia, then many many many people wind up with perfect 20/15 after the surgery.

There is also something new called IntraLase , which basically means that everything is done with a laser now from the cutting of the flap to the actual procedure, this is what I had done and it was easy, fast and seems to have healed up really fast.

MrLucky
11-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I am near sighted and with recent onset of Diabetes I found my vision changing to not being able to see clear even on the bottom rail of bar box so I tried the acuvue bifocal contacts and they improved it a lot now I wear bausch and Lombs multifocal lenses with great success! the one proble is , as you mention some rooms are so smoky they have your eyes drying out quickly!:)

issycue
11-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Cool! Thanks everyone... I have tried contacts in the past too, but my doc suggests not wearing them (my eyes are on the dryer side). I will look for bigger glasses (those ones on eBay are BIG!). I think I saw Karen Corr with big lenses that were rimless. Has anyone tried those special sports goggles? They seem to be small (like the SCUBA gear type, but I would think they would have to a large viewing area.

And, Lasik here runs about $2000 at min, and about $3500 for the full-meal-deal. I have friends who recently had surgery and their results were similar to the above-poster's...but I could buy one or even two nice cues for that.

We'll see. :eek:

GTeye
11-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Lasik can run anywhere from $600 for both eyes all the way up to $3000 or so depending on the options you choose.

I had my surgery done in Bellevue, WA, which is very close to you, at Luna Eye Center.

Mine cost $998 per eye but that's only because I paid the extra money for the Intralase laser to cut the flap.

I could have had traditional lasik done without the intralse for $998 for both eyes including all followup visits, etc, complete package.

Traditional lasik with the micro blade doing the flap I have seen offered as low as $295 per eye. Luna Eye Center is also having a 50% off sale at the moment, THey will cut any quote/ad you bring to them.

Things such as wavefront, intralase, etc all raise the price but you don't have to do those things.

runscott
11-18-2006, 08:11 PM
After studying the threads on AZ related to the topic, I bought large frame 3-10 foot focus glasses. I wear them for pool and to watch television, and they work great.

...however, since I normally wear 'distance only' glasses, I've found that when I walk up to the pool table it takes a couple of games for my eyes to get adjusted. Best to wear them for 30 minutes or so before playing.

alstl
11-18-2006, 08:25 PM
I wear contacts and I carry eye drops in my case but I still have problems with them drying and getting blurred vision.

If you ask Efren Reyes he will recommend lasik.

Donovan
11-18-2006, 09:36 PM
5 years ago, I was tested to see if I could have lasik done and my left eye was too poor to fix. I just had the tests done again and they said with the advancements made since then, I am now a candidate for a 95% left eye and 100% right eye.

I know my game will fall for a while after being able to see the balls 100% of the time. When I first got glasses to shoot with-that happened. There were still times I would have to look over my glasses for long shots and seeing colored ear-muffs instead of balls made me really rely on feel instead of vision. Being able to see the balls all the time will really change things.

I worked it out with the local doctor, so I could have one eye done Dec 28and the other on Jan 2. The reason for doing this may help some of you on the financial side of things. Like some people, my insurance from work gives me a spending account each year. By doing the surgeries in 2 separate years, I could use both years spending accounts to help pay for it.

I will post my progress if anyone is interested.

jamesroberts
11-19-2006, 01:25 AM
lasik can be good but if your eyes get dry after lasik they can get blurry too.......i know i always to keep drops for my eyes.......and smoke can make them a little blurry

buddha162
11-19-2006, 03:06 AM
I have chronically dry eyes and wear contacts, and I always carry a little dispenser of saline solution. I refill them a few times and get a new container.

When I used to use "rewetting drops" specifically for contact lenses, the relief was always temporary and my eyes eventually become more irritated. Saline is natural, and you can use as much as you want w/o worrying about chemical irritation.

-Roger

whitewolf
11-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Theratears in the tablets is the best thing in the world for dry eyes, unless you want to pay $1500 for the eye plugs (yuck).

These tables have fish oils, omega 3 fatty acids, etc. which are also very good for the heart.

I had lasik and love it, but due to the dry eye syndrome which some people like myself get, your vision may suffer. In the cold winter my right eye is 20/13 and my left eye is 20/15, but in the summer with all the pollen and dry eyes my left eye turns to mud if I don't use the drops.

If your eyes are super bad like mine were, wearing the coke bottle glasses makes the balls much smaller and distored if you have bad astigmatism. In those cases I don't think that having the big big glasses would help. If you must shoot with glasses however, I would get the big glasses.

Finally, they recommend getting lasik at an older age as your eyes are less likely to change, but I know some young people who have been very successful with it.

ajrack
11-20-2006, 01:07 AM
If you get oversized lenses, that have the side bar to your ear attached in the middle or lower part of the lenses, your vision should be fine. This is the only set up I have seen that unobstructs your vision when bending over and shooting.

rackmsuckr
11-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Glenn Atwell called me yesterday to tell me he had LASIK done and he said he has never made a better decision. He said he could see edges on the balls so crisp and clear, like he hadn't seen in 15 years.

This news came right on the heels of being in a tournament and right while I was down shooting, my right eye felt like it got a rock in it. I asked to take a break and laid my cue on the table and ran to the bathroom. I couldn't find my contact, it was up underneath my eyelid. I got it out and started to clean it, stuck it back in my eye and it promptly went back up under my eyelid.

So I took it out and looked at it, and there was a half-moon chunk gone out of the whole thing! I threw it in the trash and from then on, it was totally a blur. I called Mike and had him bring down an extra pair, and he was halfway into baking a cake, so it fell in the middle. :(

But meanwhile, I had to finish the game. I missed 3 easy shots in a row to let the guy win. It was embarrassing! I was just kind of pointing my stick where I thought it should be. This guy ended up winning the tournament. :mad:

Asians have a hard time wearing glasses at the table, since we have no bridges on our noses to hold them up. I tried it and you need to have huge glasses, otherwise you get dizzy looking from the OB to the CB.

I was always chicken to have LASIK, because Geiler told me he saw halos, plus I saw the operation online and it was scary! Also, I remember getting contacts that cranked me too far out and I couldn't see anything on the table, so I wanted to make sure I could see at least 2 feet away as well. Maybe I will look into the wavefront thing. :o

daylate$short
11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
I have worn glasses for the last 45 years, and have a pretty strong correction prescription. Several of my friends (pool players) have had Lasik, and are very happy with the results. I finally checked to see if I could have it, but with my diabetes, and some other factors, the doctors would not do it for me. I didn't have a problem with vision except on the long table length shots where I had to get down on the cue. I had taken a course with randyg, where he told me about the sportglasses he markets; I contacted him and ordered a set in my prescription. I couldn't belive how much better the sight picture was with these glasses; no problem maintaining view of the cueball, opject ball, and target pocket while down on the shot. Large lenses, adjustable nose bridge, and cable earpieces make all the difference. I consider the price as money well spent. Check out Randy's website www.poolschool.info

tigerallenyim
11-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I have chronically dry eyes and wear contacts, and I always carry a little dispenser of saline solution. I refill them a few times and get a new container.

When I used to use "rewetting drops" specifically for contact lenses, the relief was always temporary and my eyes eventually become more irritated. Saline is natural, and you can use as much as you want w/o worrying about chemical irritation.

-Roger
Well, I like that idea, but how does one do that during a match. I believe I have the contacts curse! My contacts happen to dry out during a middle of a match!

ScottW
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Just last year I got contacts for the first time in my life - primarily for pool. Man, what a difference! I love'em - not having to look over the rims of my glasses.

I might consider Lasik at some point, but my eyes really aren't bad (my prescription is -0.75 in both eyes), so it's kinda overkill for me.

I once saw a guy shooting with glasses. His lenses were pretty bulbously tall. But the kicker was, he would take the glasses off, flip'em over, and lay'em back on his head - so that the ends of the arms were sticking UP and the bridge of the glasses, normally at the top of the frames, was now at the BOTTOM, resting on his nose - and the lenses poked up over his eyebrows. It was the most peculiar thing to see. But, it worked for him I suppose. :)

buddha162
11-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, I like that idea, but how does one do that during a match. I believe I have the contacts curse! My contacts happen to dry out during a middle of a match!

I've had so much practice with the eyedropper I can deposit a single droplet of saline on my eye---single handed---while walking, driving (this is cause for some nervous seat-shifting in my passengers), paddling my canoe, riding the subway, and certainly in the middle of a pool match. In fact, my line of sight never leaves the horizontal plane...it's a fine balance of finger pressure and timing, lol.

What does happen when you use an added lubricant (saline, visine, whatever kind) is your body starts to produce less natural tears...and soon you find yourself needing eyedrops every couple of hours. My eyes were too dry to wear contacts w/o the aid of artificial moisture, and of all the products out there saline proves to be the most comfortable and safe...for me.

Remember, practice makes perfect :)

-Roger

NJ_Qball
11-20-2006, 06:57 PM
I have had glasses since I was 10, went through all kinds, big and small, high and low, wide and thin, you name it. I have had soft lense contacts and still do, but find that I also get dry eye when playing. When you are shooting, you do not blink as often, and dry air doesn't help. So, I made the move to get a pair of glasses that work perfect for playing. They are 3/4 of inch tall and 2 inches wide, rimless, with anti-glare. But here is the trick. The glasses are snug to my head and the nose bridge is pretty tight keeping my glasses high on face. The arms are over-bent behing my ears so they do not fall down.

I find that playing with glasses is better than contacts anyway, because what you can't see can't distract you.

issycue
11-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Asians have a hard time wearing glasses at the table, since we have no bridges on our noses to hold them up...

I know what you mean about asian noses... hmmm.... LASIK or rhinoplasty?? :D

Snapshot9
11-21-2006, 04:23 AM
I don't think anyone on here has had more problems with their eyes than me. I have 20/1000 vision in left eye and 20/800 in right eye with astigmatism FRONT AND BACK of my eyes, and I have corneal scarring from a pair of hard contacts warping when I was in my 20's(wore them too long - through Navy and college).

I have worn hard contacts since I was 18 (my birthday present) except for 3 years after my corneal scarring when I had to wear glasses.

It had been a long time since going to my eye doctor (same one since the corneal scarring), and I have been to him 5 times in recent weeks. I have to go back at least 1 more time. Prior to going recently, I have been wearing Polycon 2's hard lenses with 20/40 vision (the best I could get).

The doctor has put soft lenses on me, which is a real switch for me, but they have made so many advances with them. At my last visit, I read the 20/25 line with them (both distance, was mono visioned with hard contacts). He monovisioned me with the soft ones for a couple of weeks, but I had a problem with 2 types of shots probably because of my astigmatism. The distance ones seem to have settled in, and I can play pretty good with them. Whenever I have a problem, I assume it is because of my astigmatism, because soft lenses can not correct astigmatism in the back of the eye, only the front, hard lenses correct both types of astigmatism.

I have been getting along with the soft ones pretty well, but do notice a slight dryiness around 1-2 in the morning after being in the poolroom for a few hours, but I am extremely happy with the 20/25 vision.

I have shot with glasses before, so between shooting with hard contacts, soft contacts, and glasses, glasses are the worst by far, for me. The depth perception is different, the balls look different, and I hate glasses anyway (it's a coke bottle thing from when I was a kid). Besides, my vision is only correctable to 20/60-80 with glasses.

I am pretty sure I will adapt to soft contacts okay, and they will be much easier on my scarred corneas, plus I am getting older, and my eyes are not as moist as they used to be.

They have soft contacts with astigmatism correction now for the front of your eye. They have made greats strides in both contacts, and with eye surgeries both. My eye doctor had to special order a soft contact with more curvature for my right eye, and I still have to go back to get fitted for it. Needless to say, I can not have any type of surgery because of my corneal scarring on my eyes.

TheOne
11-21-2006, 04:56 AM

-Roger

WOW you described exactly what happened to me last year. The 14.1 comp was my first event wearing contacts which was a little disturbing. I found they where great for the first 4-6 hours but after that they became extremely uncomfortable and my vision deteriorated badly. I had the drops you mention but that just seemed to make my eyes dry up badly. After 4-5 12 hour days of pool my eyes were on fire, in my last match I actually blinked my contacts out because they were so dry :(

It would recommend contacts over glasses, I spent a little extra and got the 1-Day Acuvue MOIST which are excellent. After the 14.1 event I didn't hit a ball for a month to let my eyes recover and since then I have slowly "broke" my eyes into wearing contacts, I would recommend anyone do this before playing a tournament proper.

I only recently found the Saline solution and it is fantastic, that blink stuff is terrible and I found I was always scooping the solution out of the contact holders instead lol.

In Summary Acuvue MOIST daily with Saline solution drops would probably allow you to play all day and night.

PS
One things for sure I can't shoot for shit now without them! :(

tigerallenyim
11-21-2006, 06:37 AM
I've had so much practice with the eyedropper I can deposit a single droplet of saline on my eye---single handed---while walking, driving (this is cause for some nervous seat-shifting in my passengers), paddling my canoe, riding the subway, and certainly in the middle of a pool match. In fact, my line of sight never leaves the horizontal plane...it's a fine balance of finger pressure and timing, lol.

What does happen when you use an added lubricant (saline, visine, whatever kind) is your body starts to produce less natural tears...and soon you find yourself needing eyedrops every couple of hours. My eyes were too dry to wear contacts w/o the aid of artificial moisture, and of all the products out there saline proves to be the most comfortable and safe...for me.

Remember, practice makes perfect :)

-Roger
Thanks.... I'll need to try that.

buddha162
11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
WOW you described exactly what happened to me last year................
I only recently found the Saline solution and it is fantastic, that blink stuff is terrible and I found I was always scooping the solution out of the contact holders instead lol.

In Summary Acuvue MOIST daily with Saline solution drops would probably allow you to play all day and night.

It's funny because my optometrist in Taiwan immediately recommended saline when he precribed my contacts, yet the doctor here in NJ seems ambivalent towards saline, renue, saying they're all the same thing.

-Roger

Travis Bickle
11-22-2006, 07:27 AM
To anybody out there having troubles with contacts -- don't give up until you've at least tried daily disposables. They're 70% water and never dry out. You don't know they're there, really. And they only cost $1 a day, if you buy online. Yeah, I've got astigmatism, too.

And if you've got lousy vision like mine (somewhere around 20/500) you probably get distortion around the edges with glasses, like I do. I started wearing hard lenses when I was 17, then later switched to gas-perm. Neither were all that comfortable. But disposables are in a different league totally.

Hey, I'd love to get LASIK too ... but until then, I'm OK.

TheOne
11-22-2006, 07:40 AM
To anybody out there having troubles with contacts -- don't give up until you've at least tried daily disposables. They're 70% water and never dry out. You don't know they're there, really. And they only cost $1 a day, if you buy online. Yeah, I've got astigmatism, too.

And if you've got lousy vision like mine (somewhere around 20/500) you probably get distortion around the edges with glasses, like I do. I started wearing hard lenses when I was 17, then later switched to gas-perm. Neither were all that comfortable. But disposables are in a different league totally.

I agree they are excellent and it's what I recommended but make no mistake they will dry out if you are competing all day long. Saline is a very good solution though. (sorry couldn't resist ;))

chefjeff
11-22-2006, 08:25 AM
I used to wear contacts when playing, but went back to glasses. Even tho' rooms in our area are now smokeless, you will find that the climate control systems used in many of these places will dry out those contacts pronto...and there is nothing worse while your shooting than dry contacts!!

(snip)

Lisa

Don't worry, Lisa....I'm getting the govt to pull out their guns to stop these killers from using these types of ventilation systems. I have a right to wear my contacts and not have them dry out.:D

Jeff Livingston

TheOne
11-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Don't worry, Lisa....I'm getting the govt to pull out their guns to stop these killers from using these types of ventilation systems. I have a right to wear my contacts and not have them dry out.:D

Jeff Livingston

Damn you beat me to it, I was going to lobby them to allow the room OWNERS to pump mustard gas through THEIR ventilation systems too. It's THEIR property and THEIR system they can do whatever they want with it god dam it! :D

Rod
11-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I've read use a saline solution for eye drops. I've never done that but what kind do you prefer?

I have ReNu as a multipurpose cleaner. I read Baush & Lamb sensitive eyes is a saline solution that cleans lenses but does not disinfect. It appears rinse them with sensitive eyes then put them in ReNu to disinfect after use.

If I described this correctly would you then rinse them again in the saline solution before putting them back in your eyes. Then use the saline solution as eye drops?

What brand/s do you all use and your method?

Thanks, Rod

Rod
11-22-2006, 10:02 AM
I've read use a saline solution for eye drops. I've never done that but what kind do you prefer?

I have ReNu as a multipurpose cleaner. I read Baush & Lamb sensitive eyes is a saline solution that cleans lenses but does not disinfect. It appears rinse them with sensitive eyes then put them in ReNu to disinfect after use.

If I described this correctly would you then rinse them again in the saline solution before putting them back in your eyes. Then use the saline solution as eye drops?

Thanks, Rod

Does'nt anyone that uses saline have any comments, brands used, method etc?

Rod

cmartor3
11-22-2006, 10:12 AM
all i know is that my right contact lens is the wrong prescription for my eye. & i miss the same shot over & over & over again due to this....it really gets me angry to lose on account of bad eyes......

buddha162
11-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks, Rod

Hi Rod,

I've used many brands of saline for rinsing contacts and drops, including Renu's Sensitive Eyes. To me, it doesn't make any difference...it's basically 2 ingredients: salt and water, so I don't think it matters what brand you go with.

However, for disinfecting my lenses, I found that the best product is CibaVision's Clear Care no rub solution. A little case with a plastic neutralizer disc comes in the package. It seems to cause the least irritation, and according to a few optometrists they do the best job cleaning debris and protein buildup from your lenses.

I do not flush my lenses with saline when using Clear Care, but I had to when using Renu. Remember that with Clear Care you *must* let the solution neutralize for 6 hours, and never, ever place unneutralized solution in your eye; I've learned that the hard way.

-Roger

Jody B
11-22-2006, 05:34 PM
If you cant have surgery you can buy these:

http://www.decot.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=6

Wade Crane uses them and he dont play too bad.

Travis Bickle
11-22-2006, 07:26 PM
I agree they are excellent and it's what I recommended but make no mistake they will dry out if you are competing all day long. Saline is a very good solution though. (sorry couldn't resist ;))

er, sorry, mate ... my eyes must've glazed over by the time I reached your post!

I've been wearing Bausch and Lomb SofLens ... I carry some generic brand rewetting solution in my case, but have used it maybe twice. Never bother to carry it around ordinarily.

I'm surprised you need to build up your wearing time, but maybe you're not as calloused an individual as I am.

Rod
11-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi Rod,

I've used many brands of saline for rinsing contacts and drops, including Renu's Sensitive Eyes. To me, it doesn't make any difference...it's basically 2 ingredients: salt and water, so I don't think it matters what brand you go with.

However, for disinfecting my lenses, I found that the best product is CibaVision's Clear Care no rub solution. A little case with a plastic neutralizer disc comes in the package. It seems to cause the least irritation, and according to a few optometrists they do the best job cleaning debris and protein buildup from your lenses.

I do not flush my lenses with saline when using Clear Care, but I had to when using Renu. Remember that with Clear Care you *must* let the solution neutralize for 6 hours, and never, ever place unneutralized solution in your eye; I've learned that the hard way.

-Roger

Thanks Roger, that gives me another option. After a bit of research Clear care sounds like a good option.

Rod

acedotcom
11-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey everybody... I wear glasses with moderate vision correction. Without correction, I can see the end rail and a fuzzy object ball (that really looks like 2 or 3). Generally speaking, my glasses get in the way, and I end up playing without them. Has anybody else had the same problems? and if so, what was your solution? Contacts? Bigger eye glasses? Lasik surgery?

First I drove 100 miles to see some guy who advertised himself as a sports vision specialist. Unfortunately, he specialized in fitting linebackers with contacts and knew nothing about pool. I later had the $360 glasses he made for me turned into sunglasses. Finally, I opted for Lasik. Instead of finding the best man for the job I went to the Earl Scheib of Lasik surgeons. He had to redo my left eye but the right came out pretty well the first time. Neither eye is 20-20 but I see pretty well. I'm more comfortable over the balls and don't have to crane my neck to keep the frames from getting in the way, and I'm playing a lot better now. Still, honestly, I don't know if it's the Lasik that helped me improve or simply all the work I've put into my game.

Sometime I think I should've held up on the Lasik and waited until something better came along.

Secaucus Fats
11-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Cool! Thanks everyone... I have tried contacts in the past too, but my doc suggests not wearing them (my eyes are on the dryer side). I will look for bigger glasses (those ones on eBay are BIG!). I think I saw Karen Corr with big lenses that were rimless. Has anyone tried those special sports goggles? They seem to be small (like the SCUBA gear type, but I would think they would have to a large viewing area.

And, Lasik here runs about $2000 at min, and about $3500 for the full-meal-deal. I have friends who recently had surgery and their results were similar to the above-poster's...but I could buy one or even two nice cues for that.

We'll see. :eek:

Why not get a pair of shoothing glasses?

I have a pair of Zeiss Scopz, do a little search for Zeiss Scopz, Ranger XLW, and Decot Hy-Wyd.

Fats

issycue
11-24-2006, 02:38 AM
If you cant have surgery you can buy these:

http://www.decot.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=6

Wade Crane uses them and he dont play too bad.

Cool! These are interesting...not very attractive but sounds like a good solution to be able to adjust the lens height!

Now, if only there was a pair that was gyro balanced or something so the glasses would self adjust as I bend down, move, etc...

issycue
11-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Why not get a pair of shoothing glasses?

I have a pair of Zeiss Scopz, do a little search for Zeiss Scopz, Ranger XLW, and Decot Hy-Wyd.

Fats

Thanks for the tip. I knew there was another sport that required some kind of specialty glasses.

issycue
11-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Well, I think I'm gonna give contacts a try again... at least until I can afford Lasik. I'm thinking as long as I need vision correction the big glasses would be a good backup to the contacts, that I can carry in my case.

Funny, right now I play better without my glasses on. Even though I put my glasses on, since I'm looking over the lenses when I am down to shoot, I don't see the balls clearly... just as if I'm not wearing them at all. However, when I just keep the glasses off, I seem to be more consistent... weird. Also, since I can't see too much detail beyond the table, my distractions are limited! So perhaps it's a blessing in disguise?

Anyway, one way or the other, like the other poster remarked, my game can improve only if I get out there and rackem... so no more excues!

*see* you guys out there!

Paul.

Donovan
11-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, I think I'm gonna give contacts a try again... at least until I can afford Lasik. I'm thinking as long as I need vision correction the big glasses would be a good backup to the contacts, that I can carry in my case.

Funny, right now I play better without my glasses on. Even though I put my glasses on, since I'm looking over the lenses when I am down to shoot, I don't see the balls clearly... just as if I'm not wearing them at all. However, when I just keep the glasses off, I seem to be more consistent... weird. Also, since I can't see too much detail beyond the table, my distractions are limited! So perhaps it's a blessing in disguise?

Anyway, one way or the other, like the other poster remarked, my game can improve only if I get out there and rackem... so no more excues!

*see* you guys out there!

Paul.

I personally think it is because you have been playing by feel for so long. When you do this your brain just knows how to help you adjust without you thinking about it. Whe I first got the big glasses, my game went downhill for a while, because I was able to see the balls and my brain had to learn a new way to adjust. It took me like 3 months to get used to the glasses and I played like 4 to 8 hours a day then. However, I can sight out the harder long shots better becuase of this.

Hopefully after the Lasik, There won't be as big of an adjustment, as there was then.

It was very frustrating and almost made me give up on the glasses, but it was well worth it to stick it out. If you are not going to do Lasik, and you can where contacts, that is something you should really try.

I will let you know day by day how the ordeal unfolds on here with the Lasik. This will all start around DEC 30 for my left (bad) eye and on throughto JAN 2 when they do my right eye. plus the few days that follow.

pwd72s
11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
A shooter @ the cue ball, Salem, OR. suggested these to me...I'm thinking of ordering a pair. Thanks for all the info on this thread...

http://www.decot.com/index.asp

mooseman
11-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Well I finally tried shooting wearing glasses because things just aren't crystal clear anymore. Because I get so low over my cue I of course found I was sighting over the top which meant I wasn't looking through the glasses. I did some research and came across 3 items. The DECOT frames listed above, a pair of tall glasses (that I've seen snooker players wearing), and a device called the SPOONY.
http://www.spoonyteam.com/

I finally purchased a spoony because the price is right (as compared with purchasing another pair of glasses). The actual price is high for what you get but still cheaper than buying the glasses above.

I got the thing in the mail yesterday and played with my glasses today. My opponents had a good chuckle until I ran a few racks in a row. They probably thought I was sharking them.....

I can see clearly again just like the old days......

issycue
11-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Well I finally tried shooting wearing glasses because things just aren't crystal clear anymore. Because I get so low over my cue I of course found I was sighting over the top which meant I wasn't looking through the glasses. I did some research and came across 3 items. The DECOT frames listed above, a pair of tall glasses (that I've seen snooker players wearing), and a device called the SPOONY.
http://www.spoonyteam.com/

I finally purchased a spoony because the price is right (as compared with purchasing another pair of glasses). The actual price is high for what you get but still cheaper than buying the glasses above.

I got the thing in the mail yesterday and played with my glasses today. My opponents had a good chuckle until I ran a few racks in a row. They probably thought I was sharking them.....

I can see clearly again just like the old days......

That's great! the spoony does look a little goofy, but I swear it's an idea i've had and even thought about a make-shift solution that would've accomplished the same effect... I may give it a try... see if it'll fit my nose bridge (I barely have one...) Thanks for the post.

issycue
01-21-2007, 04:23 AM
resurrecting the thread for a quick update... I got a spoony in the mail but have not yet tried it... also, I opted for contact lenses for those of you who've followed the thread. My doc suggested Laser treatment as a 'final option' for my eyes, since he anticipates, given my health issues, I'll have a high probability of developing eye problems in time...and the Laser surgery now would put me at a disadvantage if/when those problems occur. The contacts have been working great. I have a gas permeable type of soft lens that supposedly lets more oxygen get to the eye, and even if my eyes are bit more sensitive to it, they feel less irritated overall.

Cheers! Play well... --Paul.

Snapshot9
01-21-2007, 05:48 AM

I ended up with one Acuvue with astigmatism and one Baush and Lomb lense, both monthly disposables. A 6 pack of each runs $78, or $156 dollars a year. I am really surprised with them, and most of the time, I can not feel them at all.

And, in the 6 weeks I have had the final ones, I have not lost a money match yet, and I play every weekend, and usually 1 night during the week.
Broke even once, rest of the time, I won. This 20/25 vision is GREAT.
I haven't had this good of vision since I was 4 or 5.