PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to buy a cue?

alstl
11-19-2006, 10:02 AM
e-bay, a-z billiards, or from a broke pool player in a pool hall?

mattman
11-19-2006, 10:24 AM
You might try www.seyberts.com ...they usually have some good deals. Also, deinitely lookup Neilson Billiards on ebay....I just bought a Predator P2 from them.

Matt

cuejoey
11-19-2006, 11:19 AM
check out www.gobilliards.com he is a great pool player also.....

Irish634
11-19-2006, 11:20 AM
You also might try some of the custom cue makers that float around on this forum.

Craig

George
11-19-2006, 11:28 AM

The broke pool player of course :rolleyes:

George<---got some of my best deals at the pool hall

cfrandy
11-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Seybert's...can't beat the price or service!

rackem
11-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Valley forge or the Derby City Classic.

BillPorter
11-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Try here: http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards

Check his 8,000+ feedbacks with 100% positive. His customer serive is superb. I have bought many items from him through the years and can recommend him without reservation.

ioCross
11-19-2006, 12:16 PM
honestly, buying a new cue is kind of stupid when you can buy a used one for up to 50% markdown. cues are one of those things that should last a long time as long as the owner takes decent care of it, and there really is no difference between a brand new cue and a used cue as long as the owner takes good care of it.

that being said, ive picked up some wonderful deals from broke pool players before.

pooldogue
11-19-2006, 01:49 PM
From the cuemaker him or herself ,although i do not know of a female pool cue builder...........................:D

ridewiththewind
11-19-2006, 02:26 PM
From the cuemaker him or herself ,although i do not know of a female pool cue builder...........................:D

AnnieO Cues here in the states...Gracie Cues in the Phillipines. Maybe me, someday.;)

desert1pocket
11-19-2006, 02:28 PM
The broke pool player of course :rolleyes:

George<---got some of my best deals at the pool hall

I've gotta agree that the broke pool player will always have the best deal. If you want new, I'd have to agree with the others about Seyberts. You might find a cue elsewhere for $2-$4 cheaper, but with Seyberts, if there is a problem you know they will make it right.

GTeye
11-19-2006, 02:43 PM
I've used Platinum Billiards - http://www.platinumbilliards.com

Very friendly and helpful and prompt service.

I've had very good experiences with Seyberts as well.

manwon
11-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Valley forge or the Derby City Classic.

I smell rice cookin!!!!!!!!!!:p

ridewiththewind
11-19-2006, 03:25 PM

Ebay is such a crap shoot now...it scares the hell outta me! I did pick up a nice killer bargain on some no-name custom for the ol' man a couple of years ago...and he seems very happy with it...plus it's still straight! Beyond that...I just don't do it anymore.:mad:

AZ can offer up some good deals...as long as you are dealing with the right sellers...and are 'johnny on the spot'.;)

I have never run into anyone at my local playing establishments that have been that broke that they were selling their cues...but I would liike too!:D

Donovan
11-19-2006, 03:26 PM
I bought my last 6 cues with GoBilliards.com and am as happy as can be. These including, a South West, Dishaw, Samsara,... Plus, if you have any questions, he will take the time to talk to you about what you want.

manwon
11-19-2006, 03:31 PM

I am a billiard retailer, and this is not a sales pitch.

I would not buy any cue that I intent to use as my primary playing cue unless I can chalk it and shoot with it before I buy it.

No two cues although identical will ever feel exactly the same. When I sell cues to my customers, I will change the weight and the tip for free when they purchase a cue.

I let them test as many cues as they want until the find the wright cue for them. Service after the sale is the most important aspect a retailer can offer a customer. Even with the warranties offered today by production cue manufactures, if my customer has a problem with a cue, I will fix it, replace it, or send it back to the manufacturer for them for free.

I even keep low end loaner cues here that I will let them use until their problems have been corrected.

I would not purchase anything on the INTERNET because things I have outlined above, so I suppose I would recommend a good brick and mortar retailer or a broke pool player;)

Have a nice day!!!!!!

manwon

BillPorter
11-19-2006, 03:35 PM
I defy anyone to read this entire thread and not come away thinking that Joe Nielsen is not one of the best sources of billiard supplies, including cues, on the Internet.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=44228

I've dealt with the following very GOOD Internet dealers: Billiard Warehouse, Seyberts, Hawleys, Atlas, Beads & Billiards, Billiards Express, Platinum Billiards, and a few others I could recommend. But if I want the best deal (price AND service) on the production cues that Joe carries, I always send my business his way.

skins
11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I am a billiard retailer, and this is not a sales pitch.

I would not buy any cue that I intent to use as my primary playing cue unless I can chalk it and shoot with it before I buy it.

with all respect manwon your statement isn't true for allot of buyers. players who have "some" idea what they want, with a little simple research, can pick the right custom maker for their "needs" to make a cue or buy out of stock from a dealer that they would love and play jam up with. is it nice to hit a cue first? sure, but the facts are that even when trying a cue out you have to "fully" test it which includes chalking up and wearing the tip in some to get the "broken in" feel that will tell you if the cue is within your playing specs. no retailer is going to let you do this with the shaft(s) that come with the cue. he'll give you a demo shaft to hit with which is not the ones that come with the cue (dry hitting alone is not enough to get the real feel of how the cue will play). you can get most of the answers needed from forums such as this. there allot very knowledgeable players on this forum that can put someone in the right direction. my advise is to ask members on this forum which cues play well and start from there. the responses then conversations with the makers will make the decision more clear as to what type cue is needed for your game and with your budget figured in, from which maker or dealer to purchase from. just my thoughts

Pinocchio
11-19-2006, 04:49 PM
We"ve many cuemakers on the forum from low end cues to top dollar. Some with waiting list some have cues for immediate delivery. I"ve never really heard anything bad about any of them. How could you go wrong with family. Also many used cues from various cuemakers. Ebay to me is more like a crap shoot. Hope you find exactly what your looking for.

Pinocchio

Nine Ball
11-19-2006, 06:28 PM

From me!! heh. I'll always give a good deal on a great cue.

manwon
11-19-2006, 07:39 PM
with all respect manwon your statement isn't true for allot of buyers. players who have "some" idea what they want, with a little simple research, can pick the right custom maker for their "needs" to make a cue or buy out of stock from a dealer that they would love and play jam up with. is it nice to hit a cue first? sure, but the facts are that even when trying a cue out you have to "fully" test it which includes chalking up and wearing the tip in some to get the "broken in" feel that will tell you if the cue is within your playing specs. no retailer is going to let you do this with the shaft(s) that come with the cue. he'll give you a demo shaft to hit with which is not the ones that come with the cue (dry hitting alone is not enough to get the real feel of how the cue will play). you can get most of the answers needed from forums such as this. there allot very knowledgeable players on this forum that can put someone in the right direction. my advise is to ask members on this forum which cues play well and start from there. the responses then conversations with the makers will make the decision more clear as to what type cue is needed for your game and with your budget figured in, from which maker or dealer to purchase from. just my thoughts

You have a point, however, I do allow my customers to chalk the cues they are shooting with maybe this is why as a retailer I do not have to sell my merchandise on ebay, where cash is king and good luck with service after the sale.

I would also like to say that while you can get information about how a cue maker make cues and treats his customers, the hit of any cue is very subjective from person to person, and if you buy a cue without the ability to return it after you have chalked it and hit a few balls, you may be very sorry, but I also respect your opinion, and as I always say to each his own.

Have a great Night, and I wish you well on your next purchase.

Manwon

Frankenstroke
11-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I agree with rackem. Anywhere there is a large gathering of dealers and makers, like the Derby City Classic, will give you the opportunity to check out a cue firsthand.

Radiophonicus
11-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Nielsen's on Ebay is by far the cheapest I've found. Don't be fooled by it being an Ebay store, Joe knows his stuff and will help you out all the way through with anything you might need. I just bought a $383 (reg. price) McDermott from him for much closer to $300 using make an offer.

skins
11-20-2006, 09:50 AM
You have a point, however, I do allow my customers to chalk the cues they are shooting with maybe this is why as a retailer I do not have to sell my merchandise on ebay, where cash is king and good luck with service after the sale.

I would also like to say that while you can get information about how a cue maker make cues and treats his customers, the hit of any cue is very subjective from person to person, and if you buy a cue without the ability to return it after you have chalked it and hit a few balls, you may be very sorry, but I also respect your opinion, and as I always say to each his own.

Have a great Night, and I wish you well on your next purchase.

Manwon

as i've stated imo you can't get the real feel of how a cue will play on hitting "a few balls". you need to break the tip and cue in a bit which can take days. that's why hitting with a cue first is not the tell all option for new cue purchases. you need info from knowledgeable people who have played with different cues and can explain what type player each may benefit. i stand by my advise but as you stated i will respect yours as well for your clientele.

Jude Rosenstock
11-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Yes, I like the crack-addict broke pool player approach. Get that Southwest for $200 from someone in desperate need of a fix and if the cue shoots like crap, you can unload it for $500.

alstl
11-20-2006, 11:34 AM
One of the reasons I started this thread was something that happened last week at a pool hall. One of the better players in St Louis was watching me play his buddy and asked me about my Schon. He said he has had several Schons and sold them all when he needed money. He was trying to talk a guy into selling him a Scruggs at a bargain price but the guy wouldn't do it. He said he had owned a couple Scruggs too, same deal he sold them for needed cash. When the guy wouldn't sell him the Scruggs, his exact words were "That's ok, if you hang around pool rooms long enough somebody will go broke and sell their cue."

xidica
11-20-2006, 11:54 AM
There's a lot of good input from everyone here. I think you should definitely listen to the guys who have been around for a bit and go with one of their websites. (seyberts, platinumbilliards, nielsons ebay store, etc)

Also, you can get a great deal off a broke pool player or guy who just doesn't like the way a cue hits. Hang around the pool halls :p

CaptainHook
11-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Martin screen name jazznpool always has good deals in the Wanted/For sale thread.:)

xidica
11-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Also can't go wrong with Joe Lolley of Bamacues. *NEVER* had a problem with him ;)

Carl
11-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I've had good experiences with erikleecues.com -- great prices on Schon cues, and usually has a good variety of custom cues. Erik is a nice guy and very responsive.

matadorcustomcues.com if you're in the market for a Coker.

Dave Mackay
11-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I totally agree with Bill Porter, Joe Nielsen is the way to go, he stocks a massive range...... a lot more than his site shows so do either email him or call him and see if he can help you out, i have bought everything from tips to custom made predator shafts to cues from Joe and never had a single problem and when i have come accross items he does not stock he has found them for me and supplied me with them quickly and at a great price.

I'm not 100% but i think he stills offer a little discount for azbilliards members so mention seeing this post or i'm sure mention Bill Porters recommendation and he will give you a good quote.

I DO NOT WORK FOR JOE!!!!! unless he is going to open a United Kingdom branch lol

CCMC1
11-20-2006, 03:46 PM
I defy anyone to read this entire thread and not come away thinking that Joe Nielsen is not one of the best sources of billiard supplies, including cues, on the Internet.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=44228

I've dealt with the following very GOOD Internet dealers: Billiard Warehouse, Seyberts, Hawleys, Atlas, Beads & Billiards, Billiards Express, Platinum Billiards, and a few others I could recommend. But if I want the best deal (price AND service) on the production cues that Joe carries, I always send my business his way.

Bill, I said "thank you" in my thread, but I wanted to do it here as well... the Nielsen crew are top-notch in my book. I purchased my first "serious" cue today from them... at a nice price.

BillPorter
11-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Bill, I said "thank you" in my thread, but I wanted to do it here as well... the Nielsen crew are top-notch in my book. I purchased my first "serious" cue today from them... at a nice price.
I certainly don't work for Joe and get no kick-back, so you may wonder why I go out of my way to praise him. It's because he showed me great customer service more than once and I told him that if ever asked, I would definitely recommend him. So when I see a thread about buying stuff on the Internet, I always stick in a recommendation for Joe. Good luck with your new cue!

alstl
11-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I haven't bought a cue from Nielsen but I did buy a light, bridge, chalk, balls etc from him when I got my table and he was excellent to deal with.

I actually bought my cue, a Schon, from cue and cushion who posts here from time to time, although I bought the cue before I knew who he was or about this web site. Their place probably sells more cues than any other single place in St Louis. They are friendly and they let you hit with the cue before you buy it. They also will deal with you on a trade.