PDA

View Full Version : Three questions: Cue purchase, break, and tip size

CCMC1
11-19-2006, 04:37 PM
I know this is my first post… but I did spend about five hours reading information on this forum… the threads answered several other questions I had… I love it here already. Hopefully, no one will feel that my questions below are amateurish. I did search the forum before posting.

Short version, for those who don’t want (have time) to read my long story:

I have questions about the following topics:

1. Choice in sticks… go with $100 high-end or low-end $100 stick? For example, Players high-end would be around $100… McDermott low-end around $100. I know I should spend more, but financially I’m not there. I’m thinking a low-end McDermott, after researching this forum.

2. Where to hit the ball on the break? High, medium, or low? Basically, I’m jumping the white ball off the table. (I watched the videos many recommend here, but they did not mentioned where to hit the ball with your cue.) I've heard all. When I pratice, I can't tell where I hit it at... I need more pratice on the break.

3. Is there a difference in play from a 13mm shaft and 12mm shaft? My hands seem to be too small for the 13mm shaft (does not feel right), but the 12mm seems fine.

Long story:

I picked up a pool stick about six months go after laying off for 20 years. Rusty? Yes… it was terrible. I started shooting for fun with a friend of mine with “house” sticks. After about three or four months, I got to the point that I could run all the balls on the break (if the break was decent).

I received two sticks from a relative, a 19 oz stick and a 16 oz stick. The 19 was a fiberglass stick with a messed up tip, and the 16 is warped at the joint (In the middle, someone had on wall and leaned on it, I think). Both would cost too much to get fixed at this point. Well, not too much, but I can get a new stick with the money I can get one of these fixed for.

Anyway, I’ve been shooting with the 16 oz stick with some success… BUT the other night I played with the 19 oz and was able to play a lot better. For example, long shots are hard for me with the 16 oz, but with the 19 oz, I was able to hit nice solid long shots.

Guess I simply want to improve my play by practicing with a decent cue. My goal is to get to a point I can play in an amateur league. Pool is good, clean fun…. Glad I found it again.

desert1pocket
11-19-2006, 06:16 PM
As for #1, it really doesn't matter, but for $100 I would pick up a decent used sneaky if it were me.

#2- I don't know what game you're playing, but for most breaks you want to hit as close to center ball as possible. You also want to hit the head ball as squarely as possible, which tranfers the most energy into the rack, and stops the cue near the center of the table.

#3- There is a big difference in how a cue will play with not only different shaft sizes, but different tapers as well. In general, a larger diameter shaft will have a more stiff hit, and more deflection. A smaller diameter shaft will be generaly more flexible and have less deflection. As far as which way to go, it is all personal opinion.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

Irish634
11-19-2006, 06:23 PM
For #1 you really can't beat McDermott's lifetime warranty on their shafts. Good luck in your choices.

rackem
11-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Please take a look at this thread. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=46418

Wally in Cincy
11-19-2006, 06:49 PM
You won't go wrong with a McDermott. Even a low end cue will serve your purposes as long as you need it to.

CCMC1
11-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Please take a look at this thread. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=46418

Rackem, thanks... but I'm looking for something new. Think it will be a while before I have enough skill to understand the 2nd hand market... or request a custom cue (not that I can afford that now).

desert1pocket, I'm playing what I guess is called "regular pool." Not 9 ball or anything....

Irish634, yes, that is what I was thinking. Plus, after some research, I can't really tell the difference in their $200 models and 139 models. Same basic stick, but with some graphics. I don't like graphics, so a low-end might fit me perfectly.

Wally in Cincy
11-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I don't like graphics, so a low-end might fit me perfectly.

http://mcdermottcue.com/M61I_a.asp

$139

Nice wood, pretty cue

rackem
11-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Rackem, thanks... but I'm looking for something new. Think it will be a while before I have enough skill to understand the 2nd hand market... or request a custom cue (not that I can afford that now).

desert1pocket, I'm playing what I guess is called "regular pool." Not 9 ball or anything....

Irish634, yes, that is what I was thinking. Plus, after some research, I can't really tell the difference in their $200 models and 139 models. Same basic stick, but with some graphics. I don't like graphics, so a low-end might fit me perfectly.

Huh? They are new pick your favorite forearm for $80 delivered. The butt sleeves are the same. They retail for $125

CCMC1
11-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Huh? They are new pick your favorite forearm for $80 delivered. The butt sleeves are the same. They retail for $125

lol... after reading the thread, I thought they were used. If you read that post, it reads as you selling used sticks.... it does not say "new" in the thread.... :) It does say "I have used one myself as my bar cue for over a year." I thought they were used....

I guess you were showing examples of their use from similar cue sticks. :)

I'll take a look into it... never heard of the name brand before....

CCMC1
11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
http://mcdermottcue.com/M61I_a.asp

$139

Nice wood, pretty cue

I found this guy in another thread on this forum: http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards

He has those for about $111.00 shipped, maybe lower. With over 8000 positives, you can't really go wrong....

I'll have to do some research on wrapped or not wrapped... I've never really thought about it... but it seems that wrapped only cost a couple of dollars more.

psychoblinker
11-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I know this is my first post… but I did spend about five hours reading information on this forum… the threads answered several other questions I had… I love it here already. Hopefully, no one will feel that my questions below are amateurish. I did search the forum before posting.

1. Choice in sticks… go with $100 high-end or low-end $100 stick? For example, Players high-end would be around $100… McDermott low-end around $100. I know I should spend more, but financially I’m not there. I’m thinking a low-end McDermott, after researching this forum.

2. Where to hit the ball on the break? High, medium, or low? Basically, I’m jumping the white ball off the table. (I watched the videos many recommend here, but they did not mentioned where to hit the ball with your cue.) I've heard all. When I pratice, I can't tell where I hit it at... I need more pratice on the break.

3. Is there a difference in play from a 13mm shaft and 12mm shaft? My hands seem to be too small for the 13mm shaft (does not feel right), but the 12mm seems fine.

Long story:

I picked up a pool stick about six months go after laying off for 20 years. Rusty? Yes… it was terrible. I started shooting for fun with a friend of mine with “house” sticks. After about three or four months, I got to the point that I could run all the balls on the break (if the break was decent).

I received two sticks from a relative, a 19 oz stick and a 16 oz stick. The 19 was a fiberglass stick with a messed up tip, and the 16 is warped at the joint (In the middle, someone had on wall and leaned on it, I think). Both would cost too much to get fixed at this point. Well, not too much, but I can get a new stick with the money I can get one of these fixed for.

Anyway, I’ve been shooting with the 16 oz stick with some success… BUT the other night I played with the 19 oz and was able to play a lot better. For example, long shots are hard for me with the 16 oz, but with the 19 oz, I was able to hit nice solid long shots.

Guess I simply want to improve my play by practicing with a decent cue. My goal is to get to a point I can play in an amateur league. Pool is good, clean fun…. Glad I found it again.

hi there. i hope this helps in some way.

question 1. between a high players cue and an MCD, ill go with the MCD, simply cause they all hit about the same no matter the price and graphics on the cue. moreover with a lifetime warranty, you cant beat it.

question 2. on the break, i tend to aim real low on the cue ball. as im letting it rip, the action of my break will inadvertingly bring my cue tip to the center of the cue ball and thats where i want it to be. i find that i can stop my cue ball dead with this method. it works for me, you can try it out. also, with your hand ball flying off, it could be you are using too much force in the break. try slow it down a notch. just a suggestion. by no means it the "right" way.

question 3. as desert1pocket said, a lot of things go into the shaft and how it plays. whether its 13mm or 12mm, your shaft action will be different, its up to you to see what is your personal preference. the taperof the shaft also plays a big part. experiment before purchasing your cue to see what you like best.

cheers
jaz ortega

Cornerman
11-19-2006, 07:35 PM
1. Choice in sticks… go with $100 high-end or low-end $100 stick? For example, Players high-end would be around $100… McDermott low-end around $100. I know I should spend more, but financially I’m not there. I’m thinking a low-end McDermott, after researching this forum. Whichever feels better. The money, in the end, is $100 regardless which cue you go with. I'm not a big fan of McDermott, and have had tremendous success with Players. But, the next guy could be completely opposite. Go with the one that feels the best. It's not an investment. It's just a cue.

2. Where to hit the ball on the break? High, medium, or low? Basically, I’m jumping the white ball off the table. (I watched the videos many recommend here, but they did not mentioned where to hit the ball with your cue.) I've heard all. When I pratice, I can't tell where I hit it at... I need more pratice on the break. When you practice, put Sharpie marks on the cueball so that you can tell. I aim low, but I've found through the markings that my best breaks happen when I hit a hair above center. My elbow drops and I can live with it.

.See my "In praise of thinner tips" post. There is a huge difference in feel between a 12 mm shaft and a 13 mm shaft. If the 12 mm shaft feels better, go with it. Just remember that you can always take away wood later, but you can't add it.

Fred

dave fingers
11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
As for #1, it really doesn't matter, but for $100 I would pick up a decent used sneaky if it were me.

#2- I don't know what game you're playing, but for most breaks you want to hit as close to center ball as possible. You also want to hit the head ball as squarely as possible, which tranfers the most energy into the rack, and stops the cue near the center of the table.

#3- There is a big difference in how a cue will play with not only different shaft sizes, but different tapers as well. In general, a larger diameter shaft will have a more stiff hit, and more deflection. A smaller diameter shaft will be generaly more flexible and have less deflection. As far as which way to go, it is all personal opinion.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

I totally agree w/ everything desert1pocket has to say here. The only thing I could add is make sure your cue is level when you are breaking. If it is not level, then you are skipping the ball across the table and this can lead to the ball flying off.

lights_out
11-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Whichever feels better. The money, in the end, is $100 regardless which cue you go with. I'm not a big fan of McDermott, and have had tremendous success with Players. But, the next guy could be completely opposite. Go with the one that feels the best. It's not an investment. It's just a cue.

When you practice, put Sharpie marks on the cueball so that you can tell. I aim low, but I've found through the markings that my best breaks happen when I hit a hair above center. My elbow drops and I can live with it.

See my "In praise of thinner tips" post. There is a huge difference in feel between a 12 mm shaft and a 13 mm shaft. If the 12 mm shaft feels better, go with it. Just remember that you can always take away wood later, but you can't add it.

Fred

I agree with Fred. If possible, shoot with several cues and see which you like. For your break question, I like to hit the cue ball dead center if possible, the cue ball jumps back off the rack (due to the greater mass of the rack) and no spin parks the cue ball on dead center hits on the head ball. The sharpie tip is a good idea but I usually line up the red dot on the Aramith cue balls and aim for it, giving me a visual aim point without having to mark up a cue ball. Lastly, if you like thinner shafts and are confident with them, then go with them. Personally, I'm like you, I like thinner shafts. My Predator Z shafts start out at 11.75 mm but some of them have dwindled down over the years.

rackem
11-19-2006, 10:41 PM
lol... after reading the thread, I thought they were used. If you read that post, it reads as you selling used sticks.... it does not say "new" in the thread.... :) It does say "I have used one myself as my bar cue for over a year." I thought they were used....

I guess you were showing examples of their use from similar cue sticks. :)

I'll take a look into it... never heard of the name brand before....

Thanks for the imput on my post. I made a couple of revisions for clarification. Yes I was just pointing out that I do have first hand knowledge that these cues do hold up to the rigors of every day play. Palmer has been around for years. I personally have been selling their product for 9 years. Let me know if your interested

cubswin
11-19-2006, 10:46 PM
personally I'm picking the up the low end joss sneaky off of ebay.

CCMC1
11-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Thought I would let you guys and gals know that I decided on a cue…. The Mcdermott c-157. It is a solid black, plain cue. Nothing fancy about this stick, which is what I wanted. http://www.mcdermottcue.com/C157_a.asp .

I also decided not to go with a wrap. I shot with wraps and without wraps, I don’t think it makes a difference. My hands don’t get sweaty and on one cue that I shot with, I kept playing with the wrap before some of my shots. Plus, I’ve shot more without a wrap, than with one.

It came in at $111 at http://stores.ebay.com/Nielsens-Billiards . I thought this was an excellent price since my local merchant wanted $120 for a lower-priced Mcdermott (that he would have had to order). The people at Nielsens are really nice… they answered all my “newbie” questions and seemed not to mind answering my questions. I know, they wanted a sale, but sometimes you get companies that are not friendly or customer service oriented.

I would like to thank user Bill Porter for posting the eBay link… people like bill, and everyone else who answered my questions, are what make the internet such a nice place….

Well, I’ll practice, practice and practice. I’ll be sure to post Wed night after I’ve had my first couple of games with the cue.

Thank you.

Wally in Cincy
11-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I shot with wraps and without wraps, I don’t think it makes a difference. u.

At this point I would agree. Down the road after you play with some different cues you may develop a preference. I bought a McDermott that just happened to have a leather wrap and I found I preferred it to linen. It's all subjective.

Enjoy the cue.

JoeyA
11-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Long story:

--------------------
Based upon what you describe as your level of play, you will do very well in most leagues.

Play with what you feel most comfortable with. That will change with your level of play.

Hit some balls with other player's cues as most people are always willing to sell their cue for a reasonable price to move up to a better or more expensive cue.
Welcome,

JoeyA

xidica
11-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Also, nothing wrong with no wrap. I hate a wrap on my cue! :)

Good luck and welcome aboard.

tigerallenyim
11-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Yeah I would have to agree with most peeps here.
1. McDermotts are great. I've been using the same one for the past three years.... and cue has been over 10 yrs old. You get more bang for your buck.
2. Definitely square. But again, it all depends on what u want to acheive. Most pros will hit at the apex squarely so that they pocket a ball and have the cue ball somewhere in the vicinity of the ctr of the table. Others will hit the ball behind the apex. I tend to hit the ball squarely just below ctr, with a bit of english... of course, breaking from the box area.
3. Well, i've been told different diameters achieve different results. As stated before, u definitely want to experiment with different diameters. For me, for playing cue, small diameters feel more comfortable. And as for breaking cues, I use a larger diameter. Which is something u might want 2 think about.