PDA

View Full Version : My one and only cue - Steve Klein

xidica
11-20-2006, 05:21 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have found the perfect cue for me.

The cue in question is a Steve Klein Bocote/Maple fancy sneaky pete with 5/16-14 buffalo horn piloted joint. It weighs in at 18.9 oz and Steve has *REALLY* outdone himself this time.

I had a good Elkmaster tip put on by Ben Tubbs last night(if you're in the DFW area you know who I'm talking about).

Let me tell you what; I love this cue!!! :D

This cue shoots the lights out, period. Even when I don't ;)

The only time I shoot bad with this cue is when my mental game is off or my mechanics are not correct(certainly not the cue's fault).

Anyways, I was playing around with Adobe Photoshop and made a compilation image of several pictures I took of it and I'll try to attach it here...

Maniac
11-20-2006, 08:38 AM
I had a good Elkmaster tip put on by Ben Tubbs last night(if you're in the DFW area you know who I'm talking about).

I don't know who you are talking about because I'm still fairly new to this re-tipping thing. If you could tell me where this man is located and/or give me a way to contact him, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

BTW, nice sneaky!!!

Maniac

Hanky
11-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Man I havent heard Bens name in some time. He was always a very nice person. I spent the better part of 2 years with him in the early 90's Back when it was Champs not CJ's. He is the one who tought me how to put on tips.

Hanky

Joseph Ortega
11-20-2006, 09:30 AM
the last time a saw ben was at the Clicks on skillman and 635. he does good work at a fairly reasonable price. i use a standard triangle tip and he charges me 10 bucks to put it on and wax the shaft.

xidica
11-20-2006, 11:09 AM
He still works at Clicks and Skillman mostly. (he runs around a lot)
Last night he picked up the shaft from me at Cape Buffalo and had it back in around an hour and thirty minutes.

For those that don't know, he's the "Tip Doctor" in DFW.

The great thing about him is he'll just come to you, I'm sure he won't mind me posting his information for you DFW players just in case you're in a pinch :

Ben "Tip Doctor" Tubbs
Professional Cue Repair
Pager - 214-786-9609

xidica
11-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't know who you are talking about because I'm still fairly new to this re-tipping thing. If you could tell me where this man is located and/or give me a way to contact him, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

BTW, nice sneaky!!!
Maniac

Thanks a lot Maniac! Steve Klein is a real great cue maker out of Flower Mound, Texas. Here's his contact information :

http://www.kleincues.com/

His e-mail is on the Contact section of the page.
- He specializes in making short spliced v-bottom points, either veneered or re-machined.
- Everything is made in his shop, except pins, rubber bumpers, and tips. His cues are forward balanced with a solid wood to wood hit.
- He uses specially engineered joint pins to keep the weight in the joint to a minimum.

Joseph Ortega
11-20-2006, 11:14 AM
by the way.... he always calls right back. also if you need any other type of cue repair you can also take it to him. he has cue maker friends who give him great deals and he passes them off to you. he will take your cue and have back in your hands whenever he says he will.

My friend had a Mali with a broken joint, cracked ferrule, and dings all over the butt. he had it refinished, new ferrule and new joint for 80 bucks. i thought that was a great deal and he even met us at a gas station to give it back.

xidica
11-20-2006, 11:19 AM
by the way.... he always calls right back. also if you need any other type of cue repair you can also take it to him. he has cue maker friends who give him great deals and he passes them off to you. he will take your cue and have back in your hands whenever he says he will.

My friend had a Mali with a broken joint, cracked ferrule, and dings all over the butt. he had it refinished, new ferrule and new joint for 80 bucks. i thought that was a great deal and he even met us at a gas station to give it back.

Wow, that is really a good deal for 80 bucks considering all the work. Heck, REP POINTS! :D

Once "The Billiard Den" gets opened up by Larry "Sneaky Pete" Rothberg at 75 and Arapaho he's going to have Ben there in the Pro Shop doing repairs as well.

Keep the posts coming folk, and watch out for Steve Klein cues; they hit REAL well and are great for the money.

BillPorter
11-20-2006, 12:32 PM
A few months ago, Mike Haines and I were in touch with some TV people who were doing a production on the U.S. Bar Table Championship. They were going to have a short segment on the history of pool and they ended up using some photos shot by Mike. One of these photos was of Ben Tubbs, I think it was taken at C.J.'s, but can't recall for sure the locale. Anyway, that image of Ben is full-screen for about 1.5 seconds and easily recognizable. Maybe one of you guys recorded the show and can show it to him. I think Mike will be getting a DVD within a few days and can take his laptop to the PH to show Ben his moment in the limelight. BTW, here's a link to the shot of Ben that they used: http://billporter.smugmug.com/gallery/1414086/1/67039966 (It is a bit of a mystery how that shot of Ben ended up in that particular gallery, but we just left it in.)

xidica
11-20-2006, 11:57 PM
WOW! That's just awesome! Thanks a lot Bill and here's some more rep for you.

Look at this cat about to make his cash :D

the_saint_siwa
11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Just my honest opinion, I'm not particulary care about that "buttsleeve extension" look on this particular cue. I like Bocote, heard alot of good things about Steve Klein cues but the look of this particular buttsleeve isn't really pulling my chain. But hey, if it hits GOOD for you, that's all should matter to you.

Don't get me wrong, I love SP infact my playing cue at the moment is a SP, but I think the SP that Murray Tucker has was a very BEAUTIFUL SP!!! Simple but so Pretty. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=37186

I couldn't really participate on your poll cause the option isn't reallly available for me.

Steve

xidica
11-21-2006, 08:37 AM
the_saint_siwa:
I really appreciate your honest feedback on the cue.
To be honest with you, while I'm not *crazy* about the buttsleeve look; I also think that Steve may have done it for a reason ;)

The thing just feels so good and strokes like an extension of my arm I wouldn't care if it was barbie pink with barney purple points... :D