PDA

View Full Version : Is 'The Cannon' just a Pop nowdays!

Snapshot9
11-20-2006, 10:02 AM
A few years ago, much was going around about Shannon 'The Cannon' Daulton, and he seemed to be the player to beat. He won tournaments and was declared unofficially to be a Champion player.

But, it seems, the recent years have not been as kind to Shannon, and he does not seem to be Champion material anymore, but merely a contender, albeit a good one, but just a contender.

Am I wrong? If so, I will concede my point, if sufficient proof is given, but lets examine his playing career for the last 10-15 years, and see where he was and compare to today, then decide.

They had him on the front page a day or two ago, being one of the leaders in the Nationals, but he ended up placing 9th-12th. Has this been his fate the last few years?

Note: THIS IS ONLY ABOUT SHANNON, AND NOT OTHER PLAYERS. Please limit your posts to information or opinions about Shannon.

mosconiac
11-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I've noticed the same thing, but just attributed it to something (I have no idea what) in his private life affecting his on table performance. His performances in the IPT were not up to his standard. Hopefully, this will pass and he will regain his position within the rankings.

CaptainHook
11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Last time I heard anything about him, he was hanging out with Nascar driver Tony Stewart and they went to a trade show and Tony purchased some expensive cutom cues. :)

Timberly
11-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Last time I heard anything about him, he was hanging out with Nascar driver Tony Stewart and they went to a trade show and Tony purchased some expensive cutom cues. :)
Shannon gave Tony a custom made Jack Justis case as a gift... Tony reciprocated while they were at the Derby City Classic last yr and bought Shannon a Gina Cue.

huckster
11-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Let's put it this way. If anyone is wondering how well Shannon is playing these days offer to play him 10 ahead 9ball for 20k or better yet 6 ahead short rack banks for 20k. A lot of champions prefer to stay away from the tournament grind and practicing. Because........................................Dru m roll please..................There is no money in pool I played cheap poker with Shannon two years ago and he never mentioned pool once. The U.S champions are burnt out. I chuckle everytime I see a post that Sigel can't play, Daulton can't play, Hopkins can't play, McCready can't play etc. I alot of world beaters know that they can not make a living at pool alone. Take for example the Viking national championship Mike Janis is great for the sport and runs a great tourny, but first paid 5k. It took a week and expenses for a chance to win 5k. I am willing to bet anyone finishing below 5/6th lost money for the week (I do not want to debate that) pool is a no win situation. When I was little I wanted to grow up to be a pool player like Grandpa, until I heard the stories of how many players end up with nothing. What happens when the stroke goes, and the eyesight gets bad? Back to the point yes Shannon is still top 5 in the US IMHO

Russ Chewning
11-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Back to the point yes Shannon is still top 5 in the US IMHO

I think top 5 is a SERIOUS stretch..

Russ

Sweet Marissa
11-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Shannin will always be a player to watch out for in any tourney IMO.

Snapshot9
11-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Let's put it this way. If anyone is wondering how well Shannon is playing these days offer to play him 10 ahead 9ball for 20k or better yet 6 ahead short rack banks for 20k. A lot of champions prefer to stay away from the tournament grind and practicing. Because........................................Dru m roll please..................There is no money in pool I played cheap poker with Shannon two years ago and he never mentioned pool once. The U.S champions are burnt out. I chuckle everytime I see a post that Sigel can't play, Daulton can't play, Hopkins can't play, McCready can't play etc. I alot of world beaters know that they can not make a living at pool alone. Take for example the Viking national championship Mike Janis is great for the sport and runs a great tourny, but first paid 5k. It took a week and expenses for a chance to win 5k. I am willing to bet anyone finishing below 5/6th lost money for the week (I do not want to debate that) pool is a no win situation. When I was little I wanted to grow up to be a pool player like Grandpa, until I heard the stories of how many players end up with nothing. What happens when the stroke goes, and the eyesight gets bad? Back to the point yes Shannon is still top 5 in the US IMHO

This wasn't meant to turn into a woofing contest, merely to examine Shannon's playing career, turns it has taken, what's he up to, how he feels about the game, etc.. BUT SINCE YOU BROUGHT IT UP, James Walden told me directly that his backer put him up to play Shannon there, and Shannon's backer WOULD NOT PUT HIM UP. So, before you go off on I will beat the world phrases, you might want to account for exceptions to it. If he is still playing that good, seems he would have finished higher than 9th/12th in the tournament he just finished.

BazookaJoe
11-20-2006, 12:53 PM
This wasn't meant to turn into a woofing contest, merely to examine Shannon's playing career, turns it has taken, what's he up to, how he feels about the game, etc.. BUT SINCE YOU BROUGHT IT UP, James Walden told me directly that his backer put him up to play Shannon there, and Shannon's backer WOULD NOT PUT HIM UP. So, before you go off on I will beat the world phrases, you might want to account for exceptions to it. If he is still playing that good, seems he would have finished higher than 9th/12th in the tournament he just finished.
It would be interesting to know the circumstances behind this wager being turned down.
Circumstances other than who you are playing will often dictate whether or not it's a good game.
And, for the record, he did finish higher than this year's US Open winner. (Absolutely not meant to take anything away from John Schmidt)

Timberly
11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
If he is still playing that good, seems he would have finished higher than 9th/12th in the tournament he just finished.
Archer can and has gone 2 & out... even champions have bad days in pool. As you should know Scott, tournament play is different than gambling and Shannon was raised on the gambling side of pool. Couple that with the fact that Shannon doesn't play the normal tournament trail so it's quite possible for you to go without hearing from or about him for awhile.

It would be interesting to know the circumstances behind this wager being turned down.
Circumstances other than who you are playing will often dictate whether or not it's a good game.
Exactly!

BazookaJoe
11-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I think top 5 is a SERIOUS stretch..

Russ

I think a genuine "top 5" is impossible to determine without leaving someone out.
But, let's just say there aren't 4 guys out there willing to offer him weight.

Southpaw
11-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I just saw Shannon play this past week at the Viking Tour $25k guaranteed tourney in Atlanta and he is playing very well. That was one of the strongest fields (without the Phillipinos) you will see. He also said that he has a standing offer with anyone who wants to play a set of 9ball, banks and one pocket (including efren) can bet whatever they want to.

Southpaw

ioCross
11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
there are lots of pros that go on hot streaks for a year or two then go cold for a while. i think with a game as easy to run out in as 9ball, where lots of the top tier pros can run mutiple racks off the break (as opposed to straight pool years back) its easier for different people to go on streaks where they win a big event, get all pumped up and play very well for a few years until losing that touch. if all the pro events played one pocket or straight pool, we might have a situation where "the cream of the crop" rises and we have a small group of players winning every event consecutively... but this is only speculation on my part :)

Russ Chewning
11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I just saw Shannon play this past week at the Viking Tour $25k guaranteed tourney in Atlanta and he is playing very well. That was one of the strongest fields (without the Phillipinos) you will see. He also said that he has a standing offer with anyone who wants to play a set of 9ball, banks and one pocket (including efren) can bet whatever they want to.

Southpaw

Was Efren within earshot? Because Efren is supposed to beat him 9 Ball and One Pocket, and I don't think Shannon is a big favorite in Banks. Especially the way Efren is playing lately. He's been the best for quite awhile, but lately he has been embarassing the other pros in One Pocket.

Russ

BazookaJoe
11-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Was Efren within earshot? Because Efren is supposed to beat him 9 Ball and One Pocket, and I don't think Shannon is a big favorite in Banks. Especially the way Efren is playing lately. He's been the best for quite awhile, but lately he has been embarassing the other pros in One Pocket.

Russ

I have to disagree.
None of the top tier pros are "supposed" to beat any of the other top tier pros in 9 ball. A 9 ball match can come down to who had the best night's rest or morning bowell movement. I do agree that without weight, I can't see him(or anyone else) coming out on top in one-pocket.

Aaron_S
11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Tony reciprocated while they were at the Derby City Classic last yr and bought Shannon a Gina Cue.

Damn. I've got to find Tony's address and send him a sweater or something for x-mas.

Aaron
(always had a thing for Ginacues)

mnorwood
11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I think he was in a car accident a few years ago. I don't know if it actually effected his game. If you consider his record at the Derby City Classic he is a player that can never be counted out. If the money was right he would be as good as anyone in the world.

mosconiac
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
I didn't set out to offend any Shannon supporters, but his recent tournament performance has not been up to his usual level. I'm also not wolfing action...just making a casual observation and wondering why this great player has slipped in recent times.

Several people have mentioned $$$ as a motivator and I don't get that. If that was the case, wouldn't the $$$ being promised by the IPT (up to $500,000) be sufficient?

Recent Finishes:

IPT World Open 8-Ball: 51st ($500,000 top prize)
IPT North American Open 8-Ball: 85th ($350,000 top prize)

Luv2RunOut1
11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah exactly and i think one of the reasons the gambling side of pool is different is because you keep playing until someone says enough, well in the ipt with the round robin format he had plenty of time to come out on top, considering he doesnt play people race to 100 for 500k! The money is more than he has seen on "gambling" side. But this just confirms what ive been thinking that the international game has shifted the balance from americans dominating pool to a world sport.

Timberly
11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Several people have mentioned $$$ as a motivator and I don't get that. If that was the case, wouldn't the $$$ being promised by the IPT (up to $500,000) be sufficient?

Recent Finishes:

If you were referring to what I said... I said gambling is different than a tournament... it's not the money in the tournament, it's the different mind set. There are tournament players and gamblers.... they're starting to be more tournament players than gamblers these days but that wasn't the world that Shannon honed his skills in.

51st out of 200.... if my calculations are correct (math is my WORST subject) then he finished 1 spot out of the top 25%. Still not too shabby. If you want to look at it in another perpespective....Thorsten won Vegas and didn't make it past the 1st round of Reno. ;)

mnorwood
11-20-2006, 03:24 PM
I didn't set out to offend any Shannon supporters, but his recent tournament performance has not been up to his usual level. I'm also not wolfing action...just making a casual observation and wondering why this great player has slipped in recent times.

Recent Finishes:

I don't know how much you keep up with the IPT but the whole thing went bust. Rodney Morris is only getting 11 percent of his prize money. The whole IPT thing started falling apart after vegas. If anything Shannon and other players are more in the hole now than they were before the IPT. They never got a return on the travel and lodging cost they had to put out.

Ktown D
11-20-2006, 03:43 PM
If you want to know why Shannon doesn't play as much or as consistently as he once did, just look out on the frst tee on any pretty day. Pool as his top priority has slid in recent years. He also has a girlfriend and extended family and he is content not burning the tournament trail constantly.

Don't get me wrong, he can still get there for the cash and there are not many that I think are favored to beat him in any game. There is not a long line of people willing to play Shannon for the cash, if you think there is you are mistaken.

Pinocchio
11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Players have highs an lows.I,ve known Shannon since he was about 12yrs
old. He likes to have fun golf. fishin, fun with his buds, a little poker maybe a brewsky an a personal life.
Shannon is still very young don't count him out he might get serious an
just play pool for a couple of years if that happens, look out. Shannon's
best pool is ahead of him as far as I am concerned. With a stroke like
his he's got a little magician in him, too. Winter is here its time to play
an it won,t be long before you see him holding a big trophy in a billiard
magazine or my names not Pinocchio.

JG-in-KY
11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Here's my .02. I've known Shannon since he was about 7 or 8 and he grew up in a town about 25 miles away. He has always played good for the $$$. He just seems like the more money that is at stake the better he plays. As far as the Walden situation, who knows. Could have been a lot of different circumstances we don't know about. IMHO I think he is the best all around player for the cash in the US (for sure top 5). If someone could beat him in Kentucky/East TN, they could win enough money to burn three wet mules!

Craig
11-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I was at J.O.B. billiards like 2-3 yrs ago and this was during the Music City Open Tournament, and Shannon Daulton was there and playing very well, he got on the intercom and said the building has got the 8-ball and there was probably 8-10 Champions including everyone else there and no one accepted.

Chesscat
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I watched Shannon in his first (or second?) match on Saturday, which he won. He was obviously better than the other guy, but his opponent actually was ahead and maybe got on the hill, but then he self-destructed. Anway, the point is that after the match I heard Shannon tell him, "You know, I use to play pool every day just like you, but there's no money in it." Those were the words out of Shannon's mouth. I agree that he has a world-class stroke and the heart of a champion, but he is not playing and practicing every day "'cause there's no money in it." I admire him though. His case is unbelievable, you have got to see it.

gulfportdoc
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
there are lots of pros that go on hot streaks for a year or two then go cold for a while. i think with a game as easy to run out in as 9ball, where lots of the top tier pros can run mutiple racks off the break (as opposed to straight pool years back) its easier for different people to go on streaks where they win a big event, get all pumped up and play very well for a few years until losing that touch. if all the pro events played one pocket or straight pool, we might have a situation where "the cream of the crop" rises and we have a small group of players winning every event consecutively... but this is only speculation on my part :)
Good points. There have been very few who have stayed on top for long in 9-ball. The best of them have had sporadic visits to the championship circle. And there have been dozens of great "flashes in the pan". The way 9-ball is played today is such a random game between players of equal or near-equal caliber, it's astonishing that anyone is able to stay on top for long. IMO if two guys who play about the same match up, the outcome will be 100% luck. As a pro player I knew used to tell me: "If you get the rolls, you'll win. If not, you'll lose." Short race 9-ball with today's rules is more akin to poker.

Doc

5ballcharlie
11-20-2006, 08:57 PM
A few years ago, much was going around about Shannon 'The Cannon' Daulton, and he seemed to be the player to beat. He won tournaments and was declared unofficially to be a Champion player.

But, it seems, the recent years have not been as kind to Shannon, and he does not seem to be Champion material anymore, but merely a contender, albeit a good one, but just a contender.

Am I wrong? If so, I will concede my point, if sufficient proof is given, but lets examine his playing career for the last 10-15 years, and see where he was and compare to today, then decide.

They had him on the front page a day or two ago, being one of the leaders in the Nationals, but he ended up placing 9th-12th. Has this been his fate the last few years?

Note: THIS IS ONLY ABOUT SHANNON, AND NOT OTHER PLAYERS. Please limit your posts to information or opinions about Shannon.
whats the point? gambling and tournaments are two different things.

Terry Ardeno
11-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Does he still own a pool room? I knew he did when he lived in Kentucky, but since he moved to Tenn, I have not heard what happened to his room.

Shannon Daulton is one of my all time favorites. He is a very gifted all around great player. Very fun to watch while at the table.

Pinocchio
11-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Last I heard he was in Carolinas.

Gerry
11-21-2006, 05:14 AM
I think everyone covered the bases of the original question here. I'd add, like some others have said, if the games of choice in the lime light were 1 pocket, and banks, we'd all be tired of seeing Shannons mug on the front page:D

I have MANY Accustats of Him, and the guy has a super high gear when He's really into the match. Being a lefty myself, I enjoy watching his patterns.

His knowledge of the difficult games, at such a young age was surprising to me, and his teacher/s should be proud.

Gerry

Timberly
11-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Last I heard he was in Carolinas.
Shannon has been in South Carolina for at least a yr... maybe two now?? The older I get the more time seems to stand still. :rolleyes:

He lives with Marge (great supportive g/f), her children, their dogs and IIRC they're living in a new house. Overall I think Shannon is pretty happy in life right now. ;)

RSB-Refugee
11-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Damn. I've got to find Tony's address and send him a sweater or something for x-mas.

Aaron
(always had a thing for Ginacues)
Who is this Tony guy? Maybe, I'll have to send him, a Jeff Gordon hat. That ought to at least, be good for a Schon, don't ya think? ;)

Tracy

the_saint_siwa
11-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Who is this Tony guy? Maybe, I'll have to send him, a Jeff Gordon hat. That ought to at least, be good for a Schon, don't ya think? ;)

Tracy

I think it's Tony Stewart, The NASCAR driver/champ?

Timberly
11-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Here's your sign :D

RSB-Refugee
11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Here's your sign :D

I think it's Tony Stewart, The NASCAR driver/champ?
Man, tough crowd! I was joking. I guess, my delivery was bad. By the way, I'm not a Gordon fan, Tony is my favorite driver.

Tracy

Timberly
11-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Man, tough crowd! I was joking. I guess, my delivery was bad. By the way, I'm not a Gordon fan, Tony is my favorite driver.

Tracy
LOL, I got your joke... the "sign" was for TSS :D