PDA

View Full Version : Predator shaft Q

I rack balls
11-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I have an older model 314 and I was wondering if any of you have sent your shaft in to have your ferrule replaced and how long it took. I hope they are still replacing them ha :)

Thanks!

Eric.A.

Paul Mon
11-20-2006, 11:53 AM
I had a ferrule crack (2000) and it was replaced free. I gave it to the Predator rep at the Valley Forge Expo and they mailed me a new one in under 2 weeks. That said I now have a spare 314 shaft because I'm so hooked on them.

Paul Mon

Varney Cues
11-20-2006, 12:17 PM
You may be interested to read the thread titled "Predator Shaft Question"
...I believe it's currently on pg 2 here in the main forum.
Multiple pages concerning this very issue.;)

dave fingers
11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I have not replaced one but I have seen one broke off. The hole inside is larger than I believed. The original ferrule wall is very thin.
I would send it to Varney Cues. He is well know in this area for working magic with the Predators. Many players take him new shafts for his mods. I have heard & seen nothing but very high praise for his work.

SLE95
11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I have an older model 314 and I was wondering if any of you have sent your shaft in to have your ferrule replaced and how long it took. I hope they are still replacing them ha :)

Thanks!

Eric.A.

I think it will depend on how old your shaft is. I read somewhere that a user requested a ferrule replacement, but Predator told him that they no longer replaced the 1" ferrules, otherwise the Predator website shows a 7-10 day turn around time.

buddha162
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM
You may be interested to read the thread titled "Predator Shaft Question"
...I believe it's currently on pg 2 here in the main forum.
Multiple pages concerning this very issue.;)

How does that thread answer his question? He's wondering how long it will take Predator to replace their proprietory ferrule. Why don't you just come out and say "send me your shaft and $$$, I retip Allison Fisher's cue!"?

If you're going to jump into threads that has nothing to do with you and push your services, please don't be coy about it.

-Roger (oh and here's a senseless wink at ya: ;) )

inthezone
11-20-2006, 07:09 PM
How does that thread answer his question? He's wondering how long it will take Predator to replace their proprietory ferrule. Why don't you just come out and say "send me your shaft and $$$, I retip Allison Fisher's cue!"?

If you're going to jump into threads that has nothing to do with you and push your services, please don't be coy about it.

Here here....or should I say, TAP TAP...

dave fingers
11-20-2006, 07:33 PM

I think you are a bit harsh here. Mr. Varney is in no way pushing his services. Looks to me like he just refered a member to another thread that has alot of information. I see no harm in that. Seems anyone needing a new 314 ferrule would find that thread interesting. Why bring up Allison? I've read a lot of post by Varney Cues and I've never read him brag about it once. I wish some pro trusted me enough to work on their cue. I can't imagine a world champion and future hall of famer letting me near their cue. What a great honor. Sorry but I just call it like I see it.:(

buddha162
11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
I think you are a bit harsh here. Mr. Varney is in no way pushing his services. Looks to me like he just refered a member to another thread that has alot of information. I see no harm in that. Seems anyone needing a new 314 ferrule would find that thread interesting. Why bring up Allison? I've read a lot of post by Varney Cues and I've never read him brag about it once. I wish some pro trusted me enough to work on their cue. I can't imagine a world champion and future hall of famer letting me near their cue. What a great honor. Sorry but I just call it like I see it.:(

I'm sorry but I get a strong whiff of undeserved arrogance from the man. "Play with a Varney or get beaten by one"?? "World Champion's choice"?? He retips her cuetec, lol.

And don't tell me he's not pushing his wares...It's like the guy who posted about replacing a bent pin in his cue, and Varney jumps in and says "why don't you just upgrade to a Varney Pin!?"

It's sad, really.

-Roger

pharaoh68
11-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Dave-
I don't know how long you've been lurking on this site before you joined, but if you've been around long enough, you would know that Kevin Varney is nothing more than a shameless, self-promotoing, arrogant man who uses this site to peddle his wares as he purports to be a legend in his own right.

I've read a lot more posts than you have by Varney and if you can honestly say that you have NEVER seen him braqg about his affiliation with Allison Fisher or the "superior quality" of his cues, then you simply can not and should not say that you have read a lot of his posts because they are almost ALL filled with arrogance.

As for calling it like you see it, get glasses because you are missing quite a bit here. That entire thread that Roger linked is nothing more than Varney self-promoting his "I make Predator Shafts even better" techniques.

dave fingers
11-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Dave-
I don't know how long you've been lurking on this site before you joined, but if you've been around long enough, you would know that Kevin Varney is nothing more than a shameless, self-promotoing, arrogant man who uses this site to peddle his wares as he purports to be a legend in his own right.

I've read a lot more posts than you have by Varney and if you can honestly say that you have NEVER seen him braqg about his affiliation with Allison Fisher or the "superior quality" of his cues, then you simply can not and should not say that you have read a lot of his posts because they are almost ALL filled with arrogance.

As for calling it like you see it, get glasses because you are missing quite a bit here. That entire thread that Roger linked is nothing more than Varney self-promoting his "I make Predator Shafts even better" techniques.

I guess its clear that I won't be on this forum very long. Not with a couple of forum nazi's like Pharaoh68 & Buddha162 deciding what/who is right or wrong. First let me say I hate to defend anyone who doesn't need it. Sitting behind a computer makes many very brave. You both should read the thread in the non pool section relating to this issue.
Let me go on record that I have read ALL of Varney Cues post. Yes thats right, I read them all hoping to be able to learn one thing. I also read all of Dennis Searings post as well. I wondered why Mr. Searing had been a forum member as long as he has and only has I think 10 posts. Its easy to see why now. With the way you treat Mr. Varney, no wonder more famous makers don't waste their time & energy on this forum. At least Mr. Varney has taken a lot of time to try and share with the forum. I find a lot of what Varney Cues says is true and good advice. So what if he uses this site to "peddle his wares". Thats what its there for. I signed up to promote myself & my cues as well. I see no problem with that. I too see that Kevin has done a lot of good deeds on this site as well. As far as him being a legend, maybe since you both live in NJ you are not aware of what else goes on in other places. In the NC area Mr. Varney is somewhat a legend for sure. Its quite well known that you can take him most any cue and rest assured it will play better when he returns it. Its no coincidence that all the pros in this area use only Kevin. I willing to bet that neither one of you have ever talked with Kevin or used his services. Looks clear to me that the only ones crying are the ones who have not used his services. I said I have read it all, and there are quite a few threads from members who state what great work & service they received from him. I think its in horrible bad taste to complain about a man that you've never spoke with or had dealing with.
I see nothing wrong with his self-promoting. I mean it is a business. Do you expect him to be quiet & not promote his products? He is well known for making the 314 play even better. If you have a better product then why not promote it? I even read where he has worked on some for free so they could report back their results. What more can one ask? Are you guys cuemakers or even in the cue business?
From an outsiders view looking in, I must say that it appears you are just jealous of his confidence, work quality, and the following he has built. I hope that one day I can become half as successful as Varney Cues. Thanks to Pharaoh68 & Budda162, I will now rethink if I will even post my cues for sell here on this forum. I may just go back to lurking. Like Dennis.

Pinocchio
11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Their not nazi's just a wof pack of two.Probably 70% of the time when Varney post anything Buddha has his usless unmeaningful BS to add. If
you look they are both from New Jersey not thats bad but probably just buds playing follow the leader. I just overlook Buddha. One the other hand I try to read all of KV's in the hope of learning something from someone with experience. KV has knowledge an a sense of humor. I look forward to more of his posts. I'd say if I lived around KV we would probably be shooting buds. I love to point my one of my handgun at a piece of paper an try to create a 4 leaf clover. So hang in there Dave they have no clue.

Pinocchio

rocky
11-21-2006, 10:21 AM
If you would like to send you shaft in to have the ferrule replaced, it is not a problem. The turn around time is a maximum of ten days from the time that we receive it till we ship it back.

Why don't you give me a call here at the factory and I will give you the information that you need.

Darrin Brown
Customer service Mgr.
Predator Products
1-888-314-4111

No Illusions
11-21-2006, 10:37 AM
I guess its clear that I won't be on this forum very long. Not with a couple of forum nazi's like Pharaoh68 & Buddha162 deciding what/who is right or wrong. First let me say I hate to defend anyone who doesn't need it. Sitting behind a computer makes many very brave. You both should read the thread in the non pool section relating to this issue.
Let me go on record that I have read ALL of Varney Cues post. Yes thats right, I read them all hoping to be able to learn one thing. I also read all of Dennis Searings post as well. I wondered why Mr. Searing had been a forum member as long as he has and only has I think 10 posts. Its easy to see why now. With the way you treat Mr. Varney, no wonder more famous makers don't waste their time & energy on this forum. At least Mr. Varney has taken a lot of time to try and share with the forum. I find a lot of what Varney Cues says is true and good advice. So what if he uses this site to "peddle his wares". Thats what its there for. I signed up to promote myself & my cues as well. I see no problem with that. I too see that Kevin has done a lot of good deeds on this site as well. As far as him being a legend, maybe since you both live in NJ you are not aware of what else goes on in other places. In the NC area Mr. Varney is somewhat a legend for sure. Its quite well known that you can take him most any cue and rest assured it will play better when he returns it. Its no coincidence that all the pros in this area use only Kevin. I willing to bet that neither one of you have ever talked with Kevin or used his services. Looks clear to me that the only ones crying are the ones who have not used his services. I said I have read it all, and there are quite a few threads from members who state what great work & service they received from him. I think its in horrible bad taste to complain about a man that you've never spoke with or had dealing with.
I see nothing wrong with his self-promoting. I mean it is a business. Do you expect him to be quiet & not promote his products? He is well known for making the 314 play even better. If you have a better product then why not promote it? I even read where he has worked on some for free so they could report back their results. What more can one ask? Are you guys cuemakers or even in the cue business?
From an outsiders view looking in, I must say that it appears you are just jealous of his confidence, work quality, and the following he has built. I hope that one day I can become half as successful as Varney Cues. Thanks to Pharaoh68 & Budda162, I will now rethink if I will even post my cues for sell here on this forum. I may just go back to lurking. Like Dennis.
TAP TAP TAP
Well said David.
I've know Kevin for several years. He has been nothing but warm and professional. I own 4 of his cues and plan to buy more. I'm like Pinocchio in that it seems to be the same couple bashing Kevin. I know the man well and I'd wager neither one would say anything to his face. Without a doubt pharaboy and his buddy have had no business dealing with Kevin or we wouldn't be having this conversation. The man is extremely talented with a wealth of knowledge. I'm also one that reads and enjoys his post. I've learned quite a bit from him.
David, don't give up on this forum just yet. Not all are "haters".
Kevin, keep up the good work in the new shop and on this forum. Thank you.
I guess if Jerry Franklin came back from the dead, a couple of nits somewhere would find something negitive to say.:mad:

Fuji-whopper
11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
It's a public forum, if you aren't open to hearing something negative about someone every once in a while then maybe public forums aren't for you. I used to HATE seeing posts about stupid crap and people's self righteous attitudes, but the truth of the matter is that it IS a public forum and EVERYONE is heard.

You can use your "ignore" button, but you would be surprised at what you might fail to learn from these "idiots". You have to take the good with the bad, develop some thicker skin and learn, I think that's what we are all here to do right?

bigpocket
11-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Thats it I telling my mom. Then I going to buy a cuetec :D :D :D

dave fingers
11-21-2006, 11:03 AM
It's a public forum, if you aren't open to hearing something negative about someone every once in a while then maybe public forums aren't for you. I used to HATE seeing posts about stupid crap and people's self righteous attitudes, but the truth of the matter is that it IS a public forum and EVERYONE is heard.

You can use your "ignore" button, but you would be surprised at what you might fail to learn from these "idiots". You have to take the good with the bad, develop some thicker skin and learn, I think that's what we are all here to do right?
So then why did you take the time to give me BAD rep points because I said something positive about Varney cues. Is that fair? I deserved BAD rep points? I THINK NOT! Don't place any orders with me mister!:rolleyes:

Fuji-whopper
11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Jesus christ, complaining about rep points now? I took the time to inform you of my opinion, please delete that rep and go on your merry way then.

Man, you really need to chill, this is cyberspace where things aren't real. Except for that guy in England that got shot for talking trash on the internet. But if that were true then Dhakala and some others would be dead already. What's your business anyways? I don't see where I would place an order with you.

Chill dude, breathe.

pharaoh68
11-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Their not nazi's just a wof pack of two.Probably 70% of the time when Varney post anything Buddha has his usless unmeaningful BS to add. If
you look they are both from New Jersey not thats bad but probably just buds playing follow the leader. I just overlook Buddha. One the other hand I try to read all of KV's in the hope of learning something from someone with experience. KV has knowledge an a sense of humor. I look forward to more of his posts. I'd say if I lived around KV we would probably be shooting buds. I love to point my one of my handgun at a piece of paper an try to create a 4 leaf clover. So hang in there Dave they have no clue.

Pinocchio

Hey Pinocchio!

First, what's a "wof pack"?

Secondly, when someone opens the door to criticism and ridicule, others should not complain when he is subsequently ridiculed. For example, there have been multiple instances in which a member asks about a particular custom cue maker and Varney jumps in and says, "well if you like that, try one of mine" or something ridiculous like that.

Third, why should it matter that Roger and I are friends and that we shoot out of the same room? Does that mean that we agree on everything? Hell no!!! When it comes to cues, sometimes Roger and I are like night and day. For example, I think his favorite cuemaker is mediocre at best! I just happen to agree with Roger in his so-called "assaults" on Kevin Varney because I dislike the way Varney handles himself in these forums.

Now, to address other issues. I think someone else asked why Dennis Searing doesn't post here much. Well, I think the reason that some cuemakers like Dennis, Joel Hercek, James White, and a slew of other cuemakers post here so infrequently is because of the volume of their orders. And, yes. You're probably right. There are probably people on these forums like me who rub cuemakers the wrong way. So I ask you this: is it wrong to know what I like in a cue and a cuemaker?

pharaoh68
11-21-2006, 01:16 PM

And a lot of that information is Mr. Varney trying to convince people that he can make a Predator shaft even better!!!

Koop
11-21-2006, 01:22 PM
True, they are from New Jersey but it seems to me that the ones getting all hot and bothered are from NC. Ain't that where Varney is from?

I may not be as vocal but I tend to agree with Pharaoh and Buddha. I think he shamelessly self-promotes and should stick to the For Sale section. Either that or pay some fees for all the free advertising he does on here.

buddha162
11-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I guess its clear that I won't be on this forum very long. Not with a couple of forum nazi's like Pharaoh68 & Buddha162 deciding what/who is right or wrong.

Don't be so sensitive Dave, I know you're offended because I'm insulting your hometown hero but really...that's no cause for you to leave this place.

There are over a dozen well-known cuemakers posting on this site. You make it seem as if I have something out for AZ cuemakers in general, and that simply isn't true. When's the last time you read anything disparaging from me about Mike Webb? Brian Mordt? John Showman? JW Petree? Bill Webb?

All of them, like Varney, promote their cuemaking on this forum. The difference is they do it tastefully, with pictures and information rather than senseless strutting and posturing.

I am always on the lookout for new cuemakers showcasing their talent on AZ, as are most people on this forum who have any interest in cues and cuemaking in general. For that reason you should stay. If you can't take my posts then by all means, place me on your ignore list. I do understand your sentiments here, but we obviously are not seeing Varney in the same light and that's okay, no need to desert in protest.

-Roger

buddha162
11-21-2006, 02:30 PM
sometimes Roger and I are like night and day. For example, I think his favorite cuemaker is mediocre at best!

No you didn't...mediocre at best?!?

-Roger

X Breaker
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
With all due respect to Kevin Varney, I do not think it would be appropriate to compare Mr. Varney to the late Jerry Franklin or Dennis Searing.:)

I also do not believe I have ever read anything negative from Roger or Brian about Dennis Searing.

Mr. Searing is a proven legend who has built cues sold for $3000+ with a long back order waiting list. His used cues are so collectible that it is almost a no brainer to make money sell them. Mr. Searing is so busy and he simply has no need to promote his work here or anywhere else. We are fortunate when he decides to share his opinion and knowledge with us.

Based on the collectibility and value of his cues, I am sure none of us would disagree that Mr. Searing is a legend.

Just my opinion.

Richard

ratcues
11-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I don't know Kevin nor have I ever spoke with him. I only know him through this forum. I do not always agree with him but I do respect his opinion. He has just as much right to say what he wants as you guys do to criticize him.

That being said, why all of the hostility? Block him if you do not want to hear from him. Do not send your cues to him. Do not buy his cues. But I think it is wrong to attack his work or his character. Attack his opinions, his methods, or his means if you so choose.

Stop and think about the fact that he has not responded to this thread and the personal attacks. I think that shows some character.

Just my opinion. Doesn't matter to me either way. Just thought I'd try help everyone make nice. ;)

Cornerman
11-22-2006, 10:03 AM
With the way you treat Mr. Varney, no wonder more famous makers don't waste their time & energy on this forum. This isn't a realistic conclusion, IMO. At any time, there are a few dozen cuemakers on this site. Most use their real name. Some are incognito. And I ain't blowing their cover. If they actually had time to post, they'd probably post more.

At least Mr. Varney has taken a lot of time to try and share with the forum. Definitely what he does best. And I think most people appreciate it.

So what if he uses this site to "peddle his wares". Thats what its there for. I signed up to promote myself & my cues as well.
This might be part of the biggest issue. This site is NOT built on peddling wares. There is a For Sale section as a courtesty to those wanting to do such a thing. But, generally speaking this site is for discussion and sharing. Not peddling.

The blatant advertising is a big gray area that I think can be tactfully approached. I think there's room for sharing without crossing this gray area.

Fred

ratcues
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
{{{{This might be part of the biggest issue. This site is NOT built on peddling wares. There is a For Sale section as a courtesty to those wanting to do such a thing. But, generally speaking this site is for discussion and sharing. Not peddling.

The blatant advertising is a big gray area that I think can be tactfully approached. I think there's room for sharing without crossing this gray area.

Fred[/QUOTE]}}}}

I agree. Peddle IF someone asks.

It is also difficult to peddle on the "For Sale" when you offer a service. I cannot go there and post "I do cue repair." I can post a cue that I built but not my service. That is what is gray to me. How do you do that tactfully?

Cornerman
11-22-2006, 10:14 AM
It is also difficult to peddle on the "For Sale" when you offer a service. I cannot go there and post "I do cue repair." I can post a cue that I built but not my service. That is what is gray to me. How do you do that tactfully?

You discuss your service as a matter of discussion, and you have it in your signature. So, you've already done it tactfully.

Fred

JoeyInCali
11-22-2006, 10:16 AM

I am always on the lookout for new cuemakers showcasing their talent on AZ,
-Roger
I'm a talentless hack but I did stay at the Motel 6.
Can't afford fancy Holiday Inn.

Sharkey
11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Seems to me that all Varney wants to do is make money off of an already awesome product and reduce the performance in the process. You would think that being a cue Maker he would be promoting his own shafts?

Varney Cues
11-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Stop and think about the fact that he has not responded to this thread and the personal attacks. I think that shows some character.

I simply have work to do and have zero time for this childish nonsense.
Its the same small group over & over again. Absolutely none of them have ever spoken to me or had any dealings with me what so ever. It goes so far as that I've had more than one member who I don't even know, PM me true names & addresses should I feel the need. This is how I feed my family...so I don't apologize for promoting myself or my cues. I'm sure they would have a bit different outlook if I came to their jobs and attacked them. There is no complaint about my work or my cues....they are upset with my sig line, my business logo, my attitude, etc. Seems they must feel threatened in some way since they have nothing better to do than try to tarnish my name....for such petty crap. I choose not to surround myself with such bad karma. Its a much better life when you actually try and help people.
Thank you goes out to Dave, Mark, Pinnochio, and Ratcues. Save your breath gentleman...thank you for the effort though. Anyone & everyone who has ever dealt with me knows the quality and service that I provide. Thats why the long, long list of happy Varney customers is forever growing.
On that note I'd like to take a minute and wish all my friends, fans, customers, and even the bad mouthing few...a very happy & safe Thanksgiving. God bless everyone & their families on this fabulous holiday.
KV

JoeyInCali
11-22-2006, 11:35 AM
a very happy & safe Thanksgiving. God bless everyone & their families on this fabulous holiday.
KV
Happy Tnxgiving KV.
I think we have enough wood chips to barbecue turkey.
You think cocobolo chips are better than mesquite.:D

Varney Cues
11-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Happy Tnxgiving KV.
I think we have enough wood chips to barbecue turkey.
You think cocobolo chips are better than mesquite.:D
Only Ramin wood for my bird Joey...the coco fumes burn my eyes.:D

X Breaker
11-22-2006, 12:08 PM
My opinion on this matter, not that it would really matter to anyone:) , is that it is nice for pool and all the players and customers when a person is building quality products. I think quality products(be it a repaired job or a cue) serve to raise the standards of our industry, so our customers will benefit. It also serves to educate the customers to become more knowledgable on what to look for. In other words, it is good for pool as a whole.

I would rather have someone doing quality work charging a resonable price, than someone trying to offer customers lousy jobs/products at a dirt cheap price.

From what I have heard and read, Mr. Varney has done a great job in satisfying his customers. They are very excited about their new JB cues and they have no problem referring and recommending his work--I think that is awesome. I wish we have more cue makers/repair person doing the same thing.

I said this before and I will say it again, I think building/marketing cues is like playing pool in a tournament--it is much more fun when there are lots of great competitions. In that sense, I would like to wish Mr. Varney all the best in coming up with better products and designs.:)

The pool industry is like a big ship and we are all in this together. Let's support each other and help to make this industry grow.:)

Best regards,
Richard

ribdoner
11-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I propose signatures are limited to one line of shameless spam....

Several are OVER THE TOP!!!

buddha162
11-23-2006, 01:50 AM
It goes so far as that I've had more than one member who I don't even know, PM me true names & addresses should I feel the need.

Lmfao, feel the need for what? From what I understand you have a tendency to insinuate physical confrontation. That's okay, really. My full name is Roger Aye, and I live in Fort Lee, NJ, everything listed. You might seem intimidating to some with your inane photos of ammo and guns and whatnot, but I'll tell you this...when it comes to the 2nd amendment, we are in full agreement. The difference is I don't post pictures of my firearms to make me feel tough about myself.

This is how I feed my family...so I don't apologize for promoting myself or my cues.

I have no problem with you promoting your business; it's the way you go about it that I find offensive. I have no doubt that you are a competent repairman/cuemaker.

On that note I'd like to take a minute and wish all my friends, fans, customers, and even the bad mouthing few...a very happy & safe Thanksgiving. God bless everyone & their families on this fabulous holiday.
KV

And a happy thanksgiving to you as well. If you or anyone else ever need Turkey tips, or any culinary info, feel free to ask...I'm a chef.

-Roger

Cornerman
11-23-2006, 07:21 AM
And a happy thanksgiving to you as well. If you or anyone else ever need Turkey tips, or any culinary info, feel free to ask...I'm a chef.

-Roger
Dammmit Roger, why didn't you say so earlier?

Fred <~~~ finished cooking for the day ... time to eat