PDA

View Full Version : Action at the Viking Tour this past weekend

Southpaw
11-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I was at the Viking Tour $25k guaranteed tourney this past week and saw some of the best pool I have ever seen, both in the tourney and the back room. If anyone hasnt seen Shane Van Boeing play yet.....you are really missing out! This kid is 23 years old and has the game and composure of anyone. I watched him give Tony Watson the 8 on a triple shimmed diamond for $500 a rack and Shane played unbelieveable. After that, he gave Troy Frank the same game and pretty much tortured Troy. Then, he took the 8 from Corey and lost, but it was a dog fight. It was also fun hanging out with some of the players at Wild Bill's. Also, I want to say that I got to talk to "Mr.400" John Schmidt (although we have met before) and despite some of the remarks that I have posted on here in the past based on circumstantial situations, he is really a stand-up guy. Good luck with your room in Fla. John. I would love to come play there when you get it up and going.

Southpaw

Timberly
11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
I was at the Viking Tour $25k guaranteed tourney this past week and saw some of the best pool I have ever seen, both in the tourney and the back room. If anyone hasnt seen Shane Van Boeing play yet.....you are really missing out! This kid is 23 years old and has the game and composure of anyone. I watched him give Tony Watson the 8 on a triple shimmed diamond for $500 a rack and Shane played unbelieveable. After that, he gave Troy Frank the same game and pretty much tortured Troy. Then, he took the 8 from Corey and lost, but it was a dog fight. It was also fun hanging out with some of the players at Wild Bill's. Also, I want to say that I got to talk to "Mr.400" John Schmidt (although we have met before) and despite some of the remarks that I have posted on here in the past based on circumstantial situations, he is really a stand-up guy. Good luck with your room in Fla. John. I would love to come play there when you get it up and going.

Southpaw
Wait until you see Shane play 8 ball on a barbox! :eek: He really put on a show playing Scott Frost at the open. I would've loved to have watched the match between he & Corey!

Can I call you a JS groupie now?!?!?! :D

smittie1984
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I wish I wasn't so slammed with work so that I could have been there every night. I saw part of the Stevie vs Mark 1pocket match on Wedensday. Which was great to watch.

I came Sunday but came in sort of late.

frankncali
11-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Shane gave Troy Frank the 8!!!

Giving Tony was strong but giving Troy the 8 is really strong.

It seems odd that he can give Troy the 8 but didnt get there getting
the 8 from Corey.

Granted at that level the 8 isnt really a terrible amount of weight but still.

I wonder if Shane was shaken a bit playing Corey.

bignasty
11-20-2006, 09:14 PM
they were playin for 3k and i think that might have been the problem! cory is a much BIGGER name! to bad there wasnt a bar table there! would of loved to see cory play the kid in some bar table 8 ball for some BIGGER money! i think shane will do a lil bit better next time!hats off to cory he is an animal!won of the best for the cash! period!:cool:

thebestpoolroom
11-21-2006, 12:54 AM

Southpaw

Guess what folks, Southpaw was in action himself.

It was great meeting you at the tournament. You still owe me a coke:) .

John

WINTHEDAY14
11-21-2006, 07:01 AM
How did Ike runnels do playing one pocket?

Black-Balled
11-21-2006, 07:09 AM
they were playin for 3k and i think that might have been the problem! cory is a much BIGGER name! to bad there wasnt a bar table there! would of loved to see cory play the kid in some bar table 8 ball for some BIGGER money! i think shane will do a lil bit better next time!hats off to cory he is an animal!won of the best for the cash! period!:cool:

Shane is a bad dude for sure!

Cory is purdy bada$$ himself tho too, eh:eek:

DGunter
11-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Shane's break, or lack thereof, killed him playing Corey. I wouldn't say that is the only reason why he lost though. There is a reason why alot of people think Corey is the strongest 9-ball player in the world. He is brutal...especially playing rack-your-own. He just doesn't have alot of weaknesses and Shane was not in the form he was in while playing Troy.

I enjoyed watching the match regardless. Some really good shotmaking, and excellent safety play. That table length jump on the two by Shane was pretty incredible.

How did Ike runnels do playing one pocket?I think Cliff got the better of him, although I'm not sure. Not even sure how they were playing, although I know that Cliff had won the last game when Ike unscrewed.

cdavis9771
11-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Shane gave Troy Frank the 8!!!

Giving Tony was strong but giving Troy the 8 is really strong.

It seems odd that he can give Troy the 8 but didnt get there getting
the 8 from Corey.

Granted at that level the 8 isnt really a terrible amount of weight but still.

I wonder if Shane was shaken a bit playing Corey.

Thats what i thinking. Maybe he was mentally tired. You know giving those guys the 8 ain't no picnic. :)

Southpaw
11-22-2006, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=e Can I call you a JS groupie now?!?!?! :D[/QUOTE]

Ok...I guess I deserve that. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong.

Southpaw

Southpaw
11-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Guess what folks, Southpaw was in action himself.

It was great meeting you at the tournament. You still owe me a coke:) .

John

LOL...yeah it was tuff one pocket action. Thanks for a great time John. You and your staff and The Poolroom are class acts.

Southpaw

xidica
11-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Just to clarify. They were giving the called 8 I presume and not wild?

Southpaw
11-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Just to clarify. They were giving the called 8 I presume and not wild?

Nope...it was the wild 8. and I think Cliff was giving Ike 9 to 6...not sure about that tho.

Southpaw

xidica
11-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Even our own Stephen Brown was only getting the call 8 from a fairly strong player not too long ago at Hawley's, but ended up pulling it out really strong and came out ahead by a few bucks :D

Wish I could have been there to see it!

thebestpoolroom
11-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Last night, Cliff was giving Corey 9-6 playing 1-hole. I think they were playing 5 ahead for a few bucks. With the spot, Corey had to shoot EVERY SHOT with a bridge. It was exciting to watch. Man, both of them made some great shots. Cliff got ahead by winning 3 games in a row. However, Corey was able to pull back to even and eventually won the set.

jimmy-leggs
11-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Ive seen shane play a few times,watch out for him in the future,solid player.

DawgAndy
11-22-2006, 03:12 PM
You don't hear about Troy getting tortured very often. Getting tortured getting the 8 maybe never. I consider him in the top 20 of American players. Always considered him somewhat more of a tournament player.

Andy

Russ Chewning
11-22-2006, 09:11 PM
You don't hear about Troy getting tortured very often. Getting tortured getting the 8 maybe never. I consider him in the top 20 of American players. Always considered him somewhat more of a tournament player.

Andy

I think top 20 is too high. Maybe when he busted on the scene he was top 20. Probably not even then.

There's lots of guys that wouldn't mind playing Troy even, that aren't well known. Lots of consistent regional tourney winners I think can take Troy.

Reason why you don't hear of him getting tortured is because he spent a lot of time on the road, and is supposed to be smarter than getting in a bad game.

You see it a lot, a formerly unknown player snaps off a tourney, plays well for a few years, and begins to think no one under Efren can spot him.

As an example, I probably think there are a few international players right now who can spot Bustamente the 8. And Troy is by no means even in the same class as Bustamente now, let alone 5 years ago.

I really think to be considered in the top 20, you have to be capable of snapping off 2 or more strong international fields in a year, and sorry, but Troy is not at that level.

Russ

JG-in-KY
11-22-2006, 10:16 PM

As an example, I probably think there are a few international players right now who can spot Bustamente the 8. And Troy is by no means even in the same class as Bustamente now, let alone 5 years ago.

Russ

Just curious, which players?

Russ Chewning
11-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Just curious, which players?

Manalo
Alcano
Wu (If he gambles, and if he plays up to his standard)

Deuel (Yes, I believe he can spot Busta the 8 long run. He's beat Efren even One Pocket gambling, for god's sake!)

Hohmann (Don't think he gambles, but I think he can spot Busta the 8)

And a host of others we never see outside of Asia.

Busta is not playing nearly as well as he used to, and he was always was a few levels below Efren. He has all the tools, but just not nearly as consistent as some of the other international players.

And the 8 really isn't all that much of a spot, really.

Russ

Ruthless
11-22-2006, 11:13 PM
The only time I ever played Troy was on the FL Tour in Melbourne and I won 9-6. Next time may be his turn...who knows. But he is a nice mannered player.

:D

whiteoak
11-23-2006, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=Russ Chewning]

Deuel (Yes, I believe he can spot Busta the 8 long run. He's beat Efren even One Pocket gambling, for god's sake!)

1pocketfanatic
11-23-2006, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=Russ Chewning]

Might i ask when and where efren beat corey? The last time they played one hole to my knowledge was at derby city this past year and efren got the best of it within a very short period of time playing for 3k.

DawgAndy
11-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Russ
I know very well Troys road background. I said top 20 American player, I should have mentioned, tournament wise. If there was a tour with 10- 12 stops yearly I think Troy would be in the top 20. Look at his Open finishes every year. You are the one that mentioned International. BTW when do you consider him "coming on the seen"? He was well known and respected by the top pros before he won DCC.
As far as Corey using a bridge on every shot, didn't he get the best of McCready with this same spot?

Andy

JG-in-KY
11-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Manalo
Alcano

Busta is not playing nearly as well as he used to, and he was always was a few levels below Efren. He has all the tools, but just not nearly as consistent as some of the other international players.

Russ

I'll have to disrespectfully disagree with you here. Sure he is a few levels below Efren in one pocket (who isn't?), but not in nine ball. I think he still has a lot of years left. At one point when CJ Wiley was beating just about everyone in the US, Busta gave him the wild eight and BBQ him. CJ commented that he hoped he wouldn't offer him the 7, because he would have to play and didn't think he(CJ) could win! We all the know the great story about his and Archer's match.

BazookaJoe
11-23-2006, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=whiteoak]

Might i ask when and where efren beat corey? The last time they played one hole to my knowledge was at derby city this past year and efren got the best of it within a very short period of time playing for 3k.

I also would like to know when this took place
Russ, you said they were playing even?
That's silly. No one gambles even one-pocket with Bata.

inthezone
11-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I'll have to disrespectfully disagree with you here. Sure he is a few levels below Efren in one pocket (who isn't?), but not in nine ball. I think he still has a lot of years left. At one point when CJ Wiley was beating just about everyone in the US, Busta gave him the wild eight and BBQ him. CJ commented that he hoped he wouldn't offer him the 7, because he would have to play and didn't think he(CJ) could win! We all the know the great story about his and Archer's match.

Yeah, I was there for that match with Archer in Toledo - Archer was pretty much the man back then. After Archer ran that set out (he actually ran 12 from the break, not all 13), Bustamante's people asked to double the bet for the next set and Archer refused. Busta came out 1 set up.

And I don't think Corey plays Efren even........yet;)

BazookaJoe
11-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Russ

While I agreeed with some of the stuff about Troy, this is just NUTZ.
No nine-baller in his right mind would give Busta any weight.

vagabond
11-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Sure he is a few levels below Efren in one pocket (who isn't?)

I am NOT. I will give weight of ONE SECOND to Effren.Race to four games with a shot clock-4 seconds for me and 5 seconds for Effren. For every shot clock violation the players owes a ball to the table.He can come to my place any time to challenge me and take away the Title from me.:cool:

ironman
11-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Even our own Stephen Brown was only getting the call 8 from a fairly strong player not too long ago at Hawley's, but ended up pulling it out really strong and came out ahead by a few bucks :D

I met Stephen Brown this passt weekend. He is going to be a good player.

sliqueshot
11-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Manalo
Alcano

Russ

It's funny all players you mention are more of a tourney player then money with probably the exception of Deuel. There is no player in this planet can spot the 8 to Busta in 9 ball. Even the best money players out there like Orcullo, Alex P, Chin Shin Yang, Alcano, Efren would never dared to spot the 8 to Busta in 9 ball.

Mystick Cue Fan
11-23-2006, 04:55 PM

He was getting the wild 8 from a really cool guy I know....:D

Tony

biggame
11-23-2006, 06:35 PM
If anyone would like to make a game with Troy, down here in Florida if the game is fair I will stake him for 2 0r 3 thousand a set pm if anyone is interested.

Ruthless
11-23-2006, 07:25 PM
If anyone would like to make a game with Troy, down here in Florida if the game is fair I will stake him for 2 0r 3 thousand a set pm if anyone is interested.

Heads up with Louis Viera and I'm sure we can arrange something.

biggame
11-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Troy said he would play just tell me when?

biggame
11-26-2006, 12:35 PM
back to the top

PROG8R
11-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Heads up with Louis Viera and I'm sure we can arrange something.

I have not heard of Louis playing lately. I have wondered lately where he is and what he has been up to. I would have liked to see him when Chewbacca was in town resently slapping everyone around.

Ruthless
11-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Troy said he would play just tell me when?

Didn't see a response for a day so I didn't see this until now.

Just about any weekend you feel like driving to Orlando seeing that you wanted a game for Troy. PM if you need a cell #. Ft Myers is way too far to go when there's all the action you could ever want here and very little there.

I have not heard of Louis playing lately. I have wondered lately where he is and what he has been up to. I would have liked to see him when Chewbacca was in town resently slapping everyone around.

He's back playing pretty strong. He knocked off the Viking event @ Bakers a couple of weeks ago.

You can find him at Jimmy's about any night now, he's practicing 3 hrs a day for a big $$ game in New Jersey in a couple of weeks.

(we've got a mexican here that can give Louis the last 4 and rob him)

:)

raemondo
11-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Just about any weekend you feel like driving to Orlando seeing that you wanted a game for Troy. PM if you need a cell #. Ft Myers is way too far to go when there's all the action you could ever want here and very little there.

Ruthless, where is the action in Orlando? Is it anywhere close to disneyworld? (I'm not kidding, I'm asking for real)

Also, is there more action in Orlando than say, Miami?

thanks

Ruthless
11-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Ruthless, where is the action in Orlando? Is it anywhere close to disneyworld? (I'm not kidding, I'm asking for real)

Also, is there more action in Orlando than say, Miami?

thanks

Miami has more action right now by a little, but it's spread out a little further. Nothing is real close to Disney but if you go 20 min - 1 hr in about any direction you can find a bunch. Disney is not really in Orlando. Disney is in Reedy Creek and the FL natives wish it was at the South Pole.............

Ruthless
11-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I hear Outback calling my name..............bbl