PDA

View Full Version : Madison Bob's website?

Butterwheel
11-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Did Bob Griffin sell his domain name? madisonbob.com no longer comes up with his website like it used to. Bob, I know you're an AZ'er, if you have a new web address, I'd really like to know what it is!!

Thanks,
Mike Johnson

PS, Mr. Griffin, I have been looking for one of your cues for a long time and recently found one used. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival in the mail. I've heard nothing but great things about your cues.

DrCue'sProtege
11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
the bob is plural.

madisonbobS.com

DCP

p.s. oops, that doesnt work either. got a real estate website. dunno whats happened to Bob............

DougT
11-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah, it looks like his URL lapsed or something.
Google still shows Madison Bob's Custom Cues, but the URL brings up Madison MS info. Not a good sign for Bob.

http://www.madisonbobs.com/

ScottW
11-20-2006, 02:19 PM
It's not really a 'real estate' site - it's a typical placeholder-page-full-of-links page. Usually the result of a previously registered domain expiring, and some squatter group jumping on it, re-registering it for themselves, and sticking up some page full of links that they get cash for clickthroughs from.

The WHOIS record for that domain show it as expiring on 11/17/2006 - three days ago. I'd bet that the domain expired (i.e. Mr. Griffin didn't renew it in time), some squatter group jumped on the domain, and threw that page of links up. Network Solution's WHOIS info on that domain hasn't updated yet.

That said, I'd bet it'd be a huge asspain for Mr. Griffin to get his domain back. He'd likely be better off registering something new, like madisonbobscues.com or somesuch - and stay more on the ball as far as paying those domain fees (or just buy it for ten years at once).

ScottW
11-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Try this, worked for me!
http://www.madisonbobs.com/

Hmm. Could be the domain got updated and the DNS records haven't snaked their way through the net.

DougT, could you pop open a command prompt (I'm assuming you're on windows), type this in:

ping madisonbobs.com

and reply with the IP address that you get back? (i.e. the bit that's four numbers separated by periods, like ###.###.###.###)

DougT
11-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Sure thing;

First try got
unknown host at madisonbobs.com

Second try got
Pinging Madisonbobs.com [69.25.142.39] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Then some ping statistics, summary is
4 sent, 0 received

Doug

ScottW
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
That's the same IP I get on my end.

You're seeing the right site? Not just a bunch of nonsensical links?

DougT
11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
No, I only get the squatter's site.
I initially posted that I had it, but after looking closer, I edited my post.

tigerallenyim
11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
It's not really a 'real estate' site - it's a typical placeholder-page-full-of-links page. Usually the result of a previously registered domain expiring, and some squatter group jumping on it, re-registering it for themselves, and sticking up some page full of links that they get cash for clickthroughs from.

The WHOIS record for that domain show it as expiring on 11/17/2006 - three days ago. I'd bet that the domain expired (i.e. Mr. Griffin didn't renew it in time), some squatter group jumped on the domain, and threw that page of links up. Network Solution's WHOIS info on that domain hasn't updated yet.

That said, I'd bet it'd be a huge asspain for Mr. Griffin to get his domain back. He'd likely be better off registering something new, like madisonbobscues.com or somesuch - and stay more on the ball as far as paying those domain fees (or just buy it for ten years at once).
Well, it all depends if he wants to wait. If the domain just expired, he still has 30 days, which is the probation period set by ICAAN. If he still does not purchase it within that probation period, I believe it goes on hold for another 90 days. After that, the domain goes into the wild.

I could be wrong tho...

ScottW
11-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Well, if someone can reach this fellow, I'd say do it and tell him to give it a shot. It's only three days gone now. Maybe he's got a chance. Recommend he lay down for a few years' worth of registration fees while he's at it. :D

tigerallenyim
11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
If the domain is in truly in the wild, I am certain someone here can buy it for him and then sell it back to him at that price. Domains can be bought cheap these days. Just hope that his virtual host will still have his web files. :)

If anyone is interested, I can attempt to find out if the domain is in the wild, or whatever status it is in. According to ALLWHOIS, the Nameservers are under register.com and the registrar is of some company i am not fond of.

Anyway, it is set to lock. If someone is able to get a hold of him, I am purty certain that he can obtain his domain back.... so long as it is within 30 days of the expiration date.

Hope that helps.

ScottW
11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
ALLWHOIS shows the same info as NetSol - shows it expiring on 11/17/2006, i.e. three days back.

I'd wager that the domain is assigned to a new registrar - which one, no telling, as the WHOIS info is still the old pre-expiry info.

I hope you're right on the lock issue. :)

As far as buying the domain from a squatter, that's not the way to go - all that does is tell the squatter that snatching up people's domains is a thumbs-up business plan!

I doubt the original site host has done anything with the web files - they're probably just sitting idle, as there's no traffic getting to his now-domainless site.

alstl
11-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Did Bob Griffin sell his domain name? madisonbob.com no longer comes up with his website like it used to. Bob, I know you're an AZ'er, if you have a new web address, I'd really like to know what it is!!

Thanks,
Mike Johnson

PS, Mr. Griffin, I have been looking for one of your cues for a long time and recently found one used. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival in the mail. I've heard nothing but great things about your cues.

Would that be the sneaky that recently sold on e-bay?

Cue Crazy
11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
ALLWHOIS shows the same info as NetSol - shows it expiring on 11/17/2006, i.e. three days back.

I'd wager that the domain is assigned to a new registrar - which one, no telling, as the WHOIS info is still the old pre-expiry info.

I hope you're right on the lock issue. :)

As far as buying the domain from a squatter, that's not the way to go - all that does is tell the squatter that snatching up people's domains is a thumbs-up business plan!

I doubt the original site host has done anything with the web files - they're probably just sitting idle, as there's no traffic getting to his now-domainless site.

I guess they all expired on the 17th because that was My due date also. You can put a card on file and they will bill It automatically when the domain comes up for renewal, but if that expires also in between the due dates, you don't notice it, and don't update It, then It does no good anyway.
They do send you a notice ahead of time though, and I just paid up for a couple of years in advance, so I don't have to do it every year. I'm sure It's no secret that Keeping the domain is really cheap cost wise, It's everything that goes with it that adds up. Perhaps He let it go on purpose, and is planning a domain name change? Who knows, they did give notice as I mentioned, but seems like there was'nt alot of advance time, maybe a week or 2.

Butterwheel
11-22-2006, 06:26 AM
Would that be the sneaky that recently sold on e-bay?
Yessir, that'd be the one!:D
I'm actually quite surprised I got it for what I did...my "max bid" was substantially higher that what I won the auction with.

------------------------
Mike J.

Pinocchio
11-22-2006, 06:44 AM
If some one needs Bob's phone # I have it somewhere if you will pm me I will pm back # tonite.

catscradle
11-22-2006, 06:50 AM
I just sent him an email letting him know.

If anybody wants to reach him try darlena griffin [dagriffin@seidata.com].

catscradle
11-22-2006, 07:00 AM
If some one needs Bob's phone # I have it somewhere if you will pm me I will pm back # tonite.

From the Blue Book website:

GRIFFIN & SON CUSTOM CUES
Mr. “Madison” Bob Griffin
5883N 933W
Deputy, IN 47230
812-873-7745
www.madisonbobs.com
dagriffin@seidata.com

BTW, as I remember from my dealings with him, they work late running a pool room so don't bother calling before noon.

tigerallenyim
11-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Does he need a cheap host, or just his domain back?

If he needs a cheap host. i can hook him up to my virtual host. I don't normally ask for much, just basically props for helping. :) If the transfer is large, I will only ask for what my host charges me.
Of course, if he gets like 1 milliion uniques, then that's something different. But normally I can work anything out. And yeah, it will support FP ext, PHP, and all that stuff.
The host is working on a new CPanel. But shouldn't be a problem.

If his problem is the domain issue, I can see what I can do in getting his domain back for him. So long as he pays me back for the registration. :)

Have him or someone who knows him PM me for me real e/m addy and lmk what he is looking to do.

I don't know the guy, but it seems like most people in this forum is looking for his best interests. :) So might as well see what I can do to assist.

tigerallenyim
11-22-2006, 07:10 AM

Wow.... Do we have those kinda people in this forum who would do this sorta thing? I definitely would have reconsidered in posting that solution... my apologies.... Sure, I am certain people on GFY and Oprano would do something like that, but in this forum? Wowzers

True, but I guess it depends on their AUP & TC, some do... some don't. Besdies, there is always the WBM.... well at least to extract the text.

xidica
11-22-2006, 07:16 AM
His domain expired and got squatted. There's not much he can do about it but buy it back or get another one.

tigerallenyim
11-22-2006, 07:21 AM
His domain expired and got squatted. There's not much he can do about it but buy it back or get another one.
that bites.

catscradle
11-22-2006, 07:25 AM

Such smucks! :mad:
I guess the days of the hippie world view of the kinder, gentler www is long gone. :(

alstl
11-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Yessir, that'd be the one!:D
I'm actually quite surprised I got it for what I did...my "max bid" was substantially higher that what I won the auction with.

------------------------
Mike J.

I don't know much about those cues but I think you got a good deal. I considered bidding on it but my luck on e-bay has been lousy.

catscradle
11-22-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't know much about those cues but I think you got a good deal. I considered bidding on it but my luck on e-bay has been lousy.

Madison Bob makes a great cue. Nothing special artistically, but they sure do play nice.

alstl
11-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Madison Bob makes a great cue. Nothing special artistically, but they sure do play nice.

I don't doubt it but I've been burned using e-bay the three times I've used it. Two were received warped and the third transaction got so messed up that I wound up paying the seller $50 just to forget the whole thing.

Butterwheel
11-23-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't doubt it but I've been burned using e-bay the three times I've used it. Two were received warped and the third transaction got so messed up that I wound up paying the seller $50 just to forget the whole thing.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. :( FWIW, I recently bought a Bob Frey sneaky off ebay. It was described honestly as "used but in good condition." The flippin' thing was mint!!!
Dunno, maybe look for cues being auctioned by people who have a history selling/auctioning cues.

Cheers,
Mike Johnson
-----------------
Current Player: Schon STL-6 w/314
Breaker: Dufferin w/ Gugino custom 14mm shaft
Others: Pechauer PH1, Bob Reinis, Bob Frey sneaky, Madison Bob sneaky

woody_968
11-23-2006, 02:37 PM

Bobs cues play great, and he can and will put as much art work into a cue as you want :D

martin
11-24-2006, 01:31 AM
I just sent him an email letting him know.

If anybody wants to reach him try darlena griffin [dagriffin@seidata.com].

I mailed to this address one month ago and got no response till now.:(

cubswin
11-24-2006, 09:48 AM
I mailed to this address one month ago and got no response till now.:(
My experience with Him is its easier to call him than email.

Hidy Ho
11-24-2006, 12:55 PM
My experience with Him is its easier to call him than email.

He's been alirght with me on email before .. and Martin is in Taiwan :D

cubswin
11-24-2006, 04:06 PM
He's been alirght with me on email before .. and Martin is in Taiwan :D

good to read. I know when I ordered a cue from him last year, email communication was a bit sporadic. Wasn't horrible, just wasn't the easiest way to get information. A phone call got things working along better. Really like Bob, and his cue's. Wish I'd of kept mine, but needed some cash.

speaking of cash, still have that Adams?