PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Chicago Action

Love The Game
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I'll be in the Lincoln Park area in Chicago from 11-24 through 11-27. I'll be using public transportation. Looking for some friendly action. Where can I get played?

Russ Chewning
11-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I'll be in the Lincoln Park area in Chicago from 11-24 through 11-27. I'll be using public transportation. Looking for some friendly action. Where can I get played?

Now, I'm not trying to be combative, but telling everyone you're using public trans is not a good idea for 2 reasons:

1. People might think that you can't afford a car, so will not be willing to gamble someone with not much in their pocket.

2. Chicago is a RUFF town, from all Freddie tells us, and it's probably dangerous for people to know you are riding the bus in case you DO win a big score...

Russ

Love The Game
11-20-2006, 06:55 PM
I have been all over Metro Chicago and have played at Chris' and other well known rooms.

Just looking for a fair game near Lincoln Park.

tk_it_ez
11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Now, I'm not trying to be combative, but telling everyone you're using public trans is not a good idea for 2 reasons:

1. People might think that you can't afford a car, so will not be willing to gamble someone with not much in their pocket.

2. Chicago is a RUFF town, from all Freddie tells us, and it's probably dangerous for people to know you are riding the bus in case you DO win a big score...

Russ

I have been to Chicago a couple of times and have a few friends that either do live or have lived there. It is like anywhere else, there are always parts of town that you may not want to be in.

From my understanding most people there use public transportation so it is not frowned on as much as other places. My guess is also that he is stating this so people do not offer him a game at places that he would need to be able to drive to.

Nathan

inthezone
11-20-2006, 06:59 PM

Russ
I am thinking if he's sharp enough to take down a big score in Chicago, he calls a cab....

Russ Chewning
11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I am thinking if he's sharp enough to take down a big score in Chicago, he calls a cab....

Touche. Thanks for correcting me, all..

Russ

lights_out
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
I've lived in and around Chicago my whole life, you'll be fine. Lincoln Park is an upscale yuppie area, very busy, lots of people all the time. Unfortunately I'll be working all week the evening shift or I'd play ya some.

Da Poet
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM

Russ

When someone in Bagdad says a town is RUFF, that will certainly get your attention! :D

Lincoln Park doesn't have any real action going. There's a lot of friendly bar tables and a few upscale rooms with so so 8 footers.

The only place I would recommend for casual action would be Chris's Billiards at 4635 N. Milwaukee. But getting there and back from Lincoln Park would take at least 20 minutes each way in a cab ($25 or more), but because of the layout of the CTA, it will take at least an hour one way. The neighborhood isn't real bad, but if you have a good night and are concerned about safety in the wee hours, then just call a cab. Chris's has no alchohol and I've never even seen anything but good competition there.

The smoking ban in pool rooms, (bars are still okay) changed a lot of things recently and the dust hasn't quite settled yet.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Love The Game
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Poet,

Thanks for the information. I'll probably end up at Chris,' but I'm in town on business and am limited as to travel and time.

cuejoey
11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Main room Chris's on Milwaukee av.after 6pm.nice old place.

freddy the beard
11-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Poet,

Thanks for the information. I'll probably end up at Chris,' but I'm in town on business and am limited as to travel and time.

If you want to play an old washed-up player some bank pool I have a Gold Crown 1 in my basement. If so, call me at 312 961 8888.

the Beard

97Buick22
11-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Freddie- If you want action go to Red Shoes and you'll get all you want.

freddy the beard
11-21-2006, 08:38 AM

The problem with me going anywhere, is I get up at 4 or 5 AM and have difficulty staying up past 7;30PM. It's tuff getting old.

the Beard

Black-Balled
11-21-2006, 08:45 AM
The problem with me going anywhere, is I get up at 4 or 5 AM and have difficulty staying up past 7;30PM. It's tuff getting old.

the Beard

Hahaha! I am a good bit younger than you and I can stay up till 10.30.:)

Cory in DC
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Poet,

WARNING: This information is somewhat dated, but may still be useful.

One place in Lincoln Park where you will find about 15 big tables, but won't find any action is Corner Pocket, at Halsted and Wrightwood (IIRC). A fun alternative is Burwood Tap, at Wrightwood and Burling. It has an 8' challenge bar table, and you might win $40 or so, plus free beer, if you hold the table most of the night.

It's probably easier for you to get to downtown than to Chris's. If so, then you should visit G-Cue (http://www.g-cuechicago.com/), which is Tom Karabatsos' place -- he's a nice guy and a monster shooter, so there's probably action there.

The other place in Downtown is City Pool Hall (http://citypoolhall.com/html/main.html). You'll likely find action there, perhaps Marvin (or his twin brother, ????), or Jamaican Erin.

Cory

1 Pocket Ghost
11-21-2006, 11:14 AM

One place in Lincoln Park where you will find about 15 big tables, but won't find any action is Corner Pocket, at Halsted and Wrightwood (IIRC). A fun alternative is Burwood Tap, at Wrightwood and Burling. It has an 8' challenge bar table, and you might win $40 or so, plus free beer, if you hold the table most of the night.

It's probably easier for you to get to downtown than to Chris's. If so, then you should visit G-Cue (http://www.g-cuechicago.com/), which is Tom Karabatsos' place -- he's a nice guy and a monster shooter, so there's probably action there.

The other place in Downtown is City Pool Hall (http://citypoolhall.com/html/main.html). You'll likely find action there, perhaps Marvin (or his twin brother, ????), or Jamaican Erin.

Cory

Cory, Gotta correct your action report......G-Cue is a beautiful poolroom but there is 0 action...........City Poolhall has no real players/action - only possible action would consist of some cheap ( $10-$20 9ball sets ) on their league or weekly tournament night.............As has already been stated....Chris's and Red Shoes are the only action pool rooms in town - those are the 2 places where the good players hang around.

Love The Game
11-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Freddy,

I would be honored to play you some cheap banks, but it would have to be downtown. I'm not near your level, but love to match up a fair game. Prefer nine ball or one pocket.

As to everyone else, thanks for the heads up as to where to play - I appreciate it.

Looking forward to my latest visit to a great city.

NeZ
11-21-2006, 12:08 PM

One place in Lincoln Park where you will find about 15 big tables, but won't find any action is Corner Pocket, at Halsted and Wrightwood (IIRC).

The Corner Pocket closed down earlier this year. The same company owns 7-10 Lanes on Lincoln near Diversey and Southport Lanes on Southport. Both are nice places with 6 tables a piece and good food but no action.

cuejoey
11-21-2006, 12:16 PM
What's the location of Red Shoes ? thanks

dogginda9
11-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Pulaski right around what would be 119th street. There is a Wendys in the parking lot and a Burger King across Pulaski. Could even be a Jewel several doors down.

skins
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
just ask for john z. he's easy money. :rolleyes: it's must be nice to own a place where the mice come to the cat. ;)

cuejoey
11-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks 9 .did you win Best in State yet ?:D

magnetardo
11-21-2006, 06:15 PM
If you want to play an old washed-up player some bank pool I have a Gold Crown 1 in my basement. If so, call me at 312 961 8888.

the Beard

PM sent! :D

dogginda9
11-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks 9 .did you win Best in State yet ?:D
Best in show? .......... But of course!!!!!!!!;)

Cory in DC
11-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Cory, Gotta correct your action report......G-Cue is a beautiful poolroom but there is 0 action...........City Poolhall has no real players/action - only possible action would consist of some cheap ( $10-$20 9ball sets ) on their league or weekly tournament night.............As has already been stated....Chris's and Red Shoes are the only action pool rooms in town - those are the 2 places where the good players hang around.

Thanks, good to know for next time I'm around Chicago (like I said, my information is a bit dated.) Of course, $20 sets with league players might be exactly what the original poster is looking for, since he said "friendly action." But it sounds like he wouldn't find even that at G-Cue on any night, and only at City Pool Hall on league nights. Best to head to Chris's!

Cory

Love The Game
11-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Last time on this this thread - I'm a pretty decent player. Match up a game. Nine ball or one pocket. Somebody propose a game.....

I'll give up the nuts to get a game. Do something in my neighborhood- you will get played......Denver area,,,,,

Love The Game
11-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Willing to play somebody from Downtown/Metro Chicago with correct weight.. Nine ball or one pocket; November 24 - 27. My family is shopping in downtown Chicago, and I can't predict exact time when game is available. Game is is ALWAYS on when we connect @303 810 4123.

BTW, this is not a challenge to you to make a fair game. Just call and
tell me how you want to play.....

dmgwalsh
11-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Pulaski right around what would be 119th street. There is a Wendys in the parking lot and a Burger King across Pulaski. Could even be a Jewel several doors down.

The burger king is closed but the Jewel is in the same shopping center a few steps north.

RED SHOE BILLIARDS
12009 S. Pulaski Rd
ALSIP, ILLINOIS 60658
(708) 388-3700

John Lavin and John Zaksis run it. Piggy Banks is there a lot. Nick Varner just won a one pocket tournament there last Saturday. He was still in town playing Lavin on Monday. Lots of action can be found there.

dmgwalsh
11-22-2006, 05:06 AM
Freddy,

I would be honored to play you some cheap banks, but it would have to be downtown. I'm not near your level, but love to match up a fair game. Prefer nine ball or one pocket.

As to everyone else, thanks for the heads up as to where to play - I appreciate it.

Looking forward to my latest visit to a great city.

Freddy lives in Bridgeport near Comiskey park or whatever they are calling it these days. probably a 10 minute el ride from downtown. you ought to give him a call.

pro-tyme
11-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Cory, Gotta correct your action report......G-Cue is a beautiful poolroom but there is 0 action...........City Poolhall has no real players/action - only possible action would consist of some cheap ( $10-$20 9ball sets ) on their league or weekly tournament night.............As has already been stated....Chris's and Red Shoes are the only action pool rooms in town - those are the 2 places where the good players hang around.i believe you forgot about us over at pro-tyme, we have several players that love the challenge....... dan,ike,jim,nick and many more at any givin time all games and speed of players welcome other players a phone call away check us out at www.protymebilliards.com comming soon 1pocket tourny check web site under upcomming events for further info posting soon

popman
11-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Why not try the Chicago Billiard Cafe on Irving Park Road? I understand that's where all the pros go when in town.

Pop.

Flex
11-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Why not try the Chicago Billiard Cafe on Irving Park Road? I understand that's where all the pros go when in town.

Pop.

Not exactly accurate. There's a pretty strong Thursday night 9-ball tournament ($20, single elimination, handicapped) where some pretty strong players show up, Gil Hernandez, Sergio Perez, Ed Flack, Neal Jacobs, and others, but to say it's where all the pros go is a bit of a stretch, at least these days. Definitely a place to check out though. More will be found at Chris's.

raemondo
11-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Not exactly accurate. There's a pretty strong Thursday night 9-ball tournament ($20, single elimination, handicapped) where some pretty strong players show up, Gil Hernandez, Sergio Perez, Ed Flack, Neal Jacobs, and others, but to say it's where all the pros go is a bit of a stretch, at least these days. Definitely a place to check out though. More will be found at Chris's.

I definitely second that. I was in Chicago for the whole summer and I played in the weekly tournaments at the Billiard Cafe and Chris's. Bar none, I felt that the field at Chris's was way stronger. Both places seem to attract a lot of younger players. For action though, I feel that Red Shoes is better than Chris's. I guess it also depends on the games you wanna play...for 9-ball I'd go to Chris's, for the other games it's Red Shoes. Pro-Tyme has a decently tough field for the thursday night tourneys too, but more often than not when I was there, I saw mostly recreational players in the building.

1 Pocket Ghost
11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Ok, I really don't want to have a 'war of the words' with anybody here...but when I see inaccurate info given to an AZ members question, I feel that I have to interject - and I really don't understand why so often I see people give what is supposedly definitive info, when in fact it is incorrect.....

....As for me, re. pool, I've been playing/gambling in Chicago for 35 years now, so I think I know where the action is and isn't, and what type of action....That said.....

Pop.

No, the pros don't go there when they're in town, neither do any other players - The Chicago Billiard Cafe was a great action room every night of the week back in the 80's thru the early 90's, but for approx. the last 10-12 years there's been no action there except on their weekly tournament night.

for 9-ball I'd go to Chris's, for the other games it's Red Shoes.

9 ball at Chris's ?....That's the best joke I've heard all week - there's almost zero 9 ball at Chris's......Chris's is a One Pocket and 3 cushion pool room, and always has been - If you walk into Chris's and there's 5 gambling games going on, it's 10 to 1 that all 5 matches will be One Pocket......If a 9 ball player comes in looking for a serious 9 ball game, Ed Young or somebody has to get on the phone and try to find Marco Marquez to come over......But yes, Red Shoes has good bank and one pocket action.

i believe you forgot about us over at pro-tyme, we have several players that love the challenge....... dan,ike,jim,nick and many more at any givin time all games and speed of players welcome other players a phone call away

Ok, I accept that, but I was mostly talking about pool rooms closer to the city, and according to mapquest you are located 30 miles sw from central Chicago..........And just to add to that, 30 miles nw from central Chicago is the pool room Quentin Corner which also has a little bit of action.

And lastly, you might be able to get bank pool action over at Freddy the Beards house......^_^

Gotta go baste the turkey now, Happy Thanksgiving to all , Ghost

dogginda9
11-23-2006, 12:33 PM
1PocketGhost hit the nail on the head. To go one step further, there is not much 9 ball action ANYWHERE in the city. And he is also correct about Quenten Corner Pocket. Every time I have gone there I got some kind of action. Usually prearranged but not always the case. Happy Thanksgiving all.

raemondo
11-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Hmm thanks for the correction Ghost....that's just weird because everytime I head up to Chris's, I almost always get asked to play sets of 9-ball. This must have happened at least 3 times....it's probably either because I'm asian, or I'm young, or I might have been practicing 9-ball.

Flex
11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Hmm thanks for the correction Ghost....that's just weird because everytime I head up to Chris's, I almost always get asked to play sets of 9-ball. This must have happened at least 3 times....it's probably either because I'm asian, or I'm young, or I might have been practicing 9-ball.

It might also be that some people like to play YOU 9-ball. BTW, how have you fared when matching up there?

cuejoey
11-23-2006, 09:24 PM
1PocketGhost hit the nail on the head. To go one step further, there is not much 9 ball action ANYWHERE in the city. And he is also correct about Quenten Corner Pocket. Every time I have gone there I got some kind of action. Usually prearranged but not always the case. Happy Thanksgiving all.:) And that ladies and gentlemen comes from one hell of a great player.:D

raemondo
11-24-2006, 07:45 AM
It might also be that some people like to play YOU 9-ball. BTW, how have you fared when matching up there?

Hey Flex, I haven't had the chance to match up with anyone 9-ball yet at Chris's, though I'm sure I'll get robbed. Everytime I've been there I've always had a friend to play with. Moreover, I don't usually play for money unless I really want to play for the experience.

I do alright in the sunday night tourneys sometimes, I think I've come up 3rd twice, but my handicap is low at 7.5.

Do you and Ghost frequent Chris's a lot? We should match up sometime. I was just there on monday night talking to Ed Young about getting a cue done, don't know if you guys were there then.

hemicudas
11-24-2006, 09:28 AM
1PocketGhost hit the nail on the head. To go one step further, there is not much 9 ball action ANYWHERE in the city. And he is also correct about Quenten Corner Pocket. Every time I have gone there I got some kind of action. Usually prearranged but not always the case. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Just curious. Is there any late night bar table action in Cicero any more? That use to be the place for late night.

BTW, that can't be your cat???

dogginda9
11-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Just curious. Is there any late night bar table action in Cicero any more? That use to be the place for late night.

BTW, that can't be your cat???
There isn't too much late night action anywhere that I've heard of recently. Every once in a while I'll get a random call about somebody woofin' somewhere. Not often enough though. Ritchies has some but not near as much as before. That is my little monster. She's tougher than she looks.:)

dmgwalsh
11-24-2006, 05:39 PM

Raemundo: How was your session with Latimer this week? I split with Klein tonight. Beat him the first game 80-30. He took an intentional 3rd scratch.
Second game, he started better, then I caught him. I needed 13 and he needed 31. He then ran 29 and gave me a shot. I got 11 and missed and he got me. Oh well, a split is ok. Hope you had a nice thanksgiving.

raemondo
11-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Raemundo: How was your session with Latimer this week? I split with Klein tonight. Beat him the first game 80-30. He took an intentional 3rd scratch.
Second game, he started better, then I caught him. I needed 13 and he needed 31. He then ran 29 and gave me a shot. I got 11 and missed and he got me. Oh well, a split is ok. Hope you had a nice thanksgiving.

Hey Dennis,

I'm not sure if my session with Latimer was really an "action" session....we had a good race to 100, where he got me at about 80+. It was close. 8-ball I did a little better than him, but mostly because he was just plain missing shots. He's the better 9-ball player though, I definitely can't out-stroke him. Good to hear you spilt with Klein, although I think you should have won them both.

I had a great thanksgiving, hope yours was smashing too. Eileen showed me the list and it was pretty sumptuous. I had a great time in Tinley Park. Thanks again buddy! Next time, I'm taking the Scruggs SP for a test drive.

Aaron_S
11-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Question answered. Thanks.