PDA

View Full Version : Railbird Arena

Snapshot9
11-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I have often wondered, mostly about TV matches, if there were regulations concerning how far the crowd has to be from the table being played on?

They seem to be a little far back, and that viewing the match might be a little hard to follow for some fans, like watching a game from across a Pool room.

Seems to me, that the excitement might be captured more if the fans were a little closer more like an 'arena' feel, oval in lieu of rectanglular shape. Similiar, I suppose, to some challenge tables in some venues that
have plenty of railbird seating around them.

Can someone shed some light on this subject?

inthezone
11-21-2006, 08:43 AM
I have often wondered, mostly about TV matches, if there were regulations concerning how far the crowd has to be from the table being played on?

They seem to be a little far back, and that viewing the match might be a little hard to follow for some fans, like watching a game from across a Pool room.

Seems to me, that the excitement might be captured more if the fans were a little closer more like an 'arena' feel, oval in lieu of rectanglular shape. Similiar, I suppose, to some challenge tables in some venues that

Yeah, good question. I am thinking in part it may have something to do with the handheld camera operator(s) and they generally have an assistant managing the cable.

Sure adds to the excitement tho when the crowd is close...and knowledgeable...and UNPROMTED...and even a bit unruly.

I thought the WPC finals scene was quite cool.

desert1pocket
11-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't know, but I wish I could move the rail birds where I play further away from the table. The young ones can be taught to stay out of the way in short order, but some of the old guys are just plain stubborn.

ajrack
11-22-2006, 09:03 PM
If you watch a Snooker match the spectators are a little distance away but they have elevated seating to help.

BigDaddyInc.
11-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Right on i just love the railbirds that if i told them all they had to do was hit a rail they still could'nt win. But they'll sit there and tell you "how it's done" all nite long! And they could'nt make a ball in the ocean! What makes a person do that?

unknownpro
11-23-2006, 02:31 AM

I think fire regulations require a certain distance be left in front of bleachers. Then they put up a divider way wide of the table. I'd rather have the bleachers right up close to the table with no divider. You get sharked anyway, so they might as well be close enough to see which ball is which and not get a headache trying.

Raised seating is the best, like Salisbury, MD had. You could hear a pin drop in the pit. Spectators had a great view and were very close but you couldn't really see them while you were shooting.

unknownpro

Johnnyt
11-23-2006, 06:28 AM
The long distance away is called the Earl Factor Rule.:D Johnnyt