PDA

View Full Version : APA droping the 8 on the break question

Nickelsig229
11-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Has anyone ever heard of the APA paying a player when they sink the 8 on the break? I did this in a match and some players have told me that I was supposed to receive money and a patch for it.

Just curious if they are breaking my stones or if in fact that is what the APA does.

xidica
11-21-2006, 08:13 AM
No, but it does happen in BCA. I think $10

Gregg
11-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Has anyone ever heard of the APA paying a player when they sink the 8 on the break? I did this in a match and some players have told me that I was supposed to receive money and a patch for it.

Just curious if they are breaking my stones or if in fact that is what the APA does.

You get a patch, no money.

MattRDavis
11-21-2006, 08:18 AM
I think we get $5 per 8OB in my APA league.

I seem to recall getting an envelope last year.

42NateBaller
11-21-2006, 08:19 AM
No money, but a patch. I think it would be awesome if they financially rewarded 8BBs, B&Rs, and Top Gun. Certainly would generate more interest in my area for better players.

xidica
11-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Completely agreed.

A better financial reward system would actually make people play.

UWPoolGod1
11-21-2006, 08:40 AM
A patch for the first 8BB or BNR. No break and run. At the end of each session you get a frameable sheet with how many 8BB's, sheet for BNR's, sheet for SHOs you had for the session.

Our BCA league does not pay for 8BBs or BNRs but usually my teammates have a pre-league side bet on these as well as best winning %.

ScottW
11-21-2006, 08:44 AM
The "pay for an 8 on the break" may be a local league operator thing. I've found that league operators often have little oddities in how they run their leagues.

Otherwise, you'll like get either a patch or a pin for your feat.

Tony_in_MD
11-21-2006, 08:52 AM
In the APA league I was in, we had to pay for our patch.:eek:

Gregg
11-21-2006, 09:24 AM

Yea, it seems what, if anything, you receive is up to the league operator.

In our area, we get a patch for each BR and 8 on the break, every time, for free. No cash reward though. This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Our local TAP league gave us nothing.

Rich R.
11-21-2006, 09:56 AM
I have played in both of the two APA areas that cover Maryland. We had to pay for the patches or pins in both areas and there were no cash rewards.

I assume, if the patches or pins are awarded, with no charge, or if there is a cash prize, it is something done by the local league operator.

hustlefinger
11-21-2006, 10:14 AM
I have played in both of the two APA areas that cover Maryland. We had to pay for the patches or pins in both areas and there were no cash rewards.

I hope you two are joking, but something tells me you are not.

Our LO gives away the patches, I didn’t realize other areas made the players pay for them. That’s pitiful.

…one small reason why the APA gets a bad rap, IMO.

Nickelsig229 - we get patches, no money.

Rick

Tony_in_MD
11-21-2006, 06:00 PM

Our LO gives away the patches, I didn’t realize other areas made the players pay for them. That’s pitiful.

…one small reason why the APA gets a bad rap, IMO.

Nickelsig229 - we get patches, no money.

Rick

Not Joking. Sad but true.

AJM

Tony_in_MD
11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Yea, it seems what, if anything, you receive is up to the league operator.

In our area, we get a patch for each BR and 8 on the break, every time, for free. No cash reward though. This is the first I'm hearing of this.

Our local TAP league gave us nothing.

I am now playing in a TAP league after 5 years of APA in Marylandl. TAP league operator at least gives us patches.

AJM

Rich R.
11-22-2006, 04:30 AM

It's definitely no joke.

There are two areas that cover Maryland. One is run by Terry Justice and the other is run by Lee Tiani. Both charge for the patches and pins.

DelaWho???
11-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Delaware is run by Melvin Craig, and we're supposed to get the first patch free (still haven't gotten mine) and then any subsequently earned patch costs a dollar.
I got my first break and run 3 weeks ago, and still no patch. I think the team captain has to fill out a form, and mine probably didn't.

Patches???? We don't need no stinking patches!

:cool:

McCue Banger McCue

DoomCue
11-22-2006, 06:51 AM
No money, but a patch. I think it would be awesome if they financially rewarded 8BBs, B&Rs, and Top Gun. Certainly would generate more interest in my area for better players.
In APA-Raleigh, we don't get money for 8's or 9's on the break, or break and runs (we do get free patches). However, we do have Top Gun tournaments. The top 32 from each league (8, 9, Masters) play a tourney for each session. The top 4 win cash, and the top 8 advance to a year-end tournament. The 24 who make the final tournament then play a round-robin event and the winner gets his/her way paid to Vegas for the NTC to play in as many Mini-Manias as his/her heart desires.

Our LO came up with this idea in order to reward individual players for having a great session/year, and I think it's a great idea. Our LO comes up with a lot of great ideas - he started the APA Masters league, too. He has the mindset that rewarding the players for team AND individual achievement will give players more options when choosing a type of league and give better players an incentive to play. It seems to be working - he has tripled the number of teams in the Raleigh area in the last three years and it's gone from mostly bangers to a very well-balanced league, with a number of top quality players. He does all of these little mini-events out of his own pocket (sort of - he's really just re-investing his money in the business), and we players really appreciate his efforts.

-djb

Nickelsig229
11-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Recieved a patch no money. I didn't have to pay for the patch. I'm going to sew it onto a white bed sheet and hang it over my shoulder like a cape and run around the pool hall before every match yelling "DUN DUN DUN CAPTAIN BREAKTASTIC"

Should be fun to rub it into my teamies that I got it...

xidica
11-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Recieved a patch no money. I didn't have to pay for the patch. I'm going to sew it onto a white bed sheet and hang it over my shoulder like a cape and run around the pool hall before every match yelling "DUN DUN DUN CAPTAIN BREAKTASTIC"

Should be fun to rub it into my teamies that I got it...

LOL. That's hilarious! :D
Rep points if I have them to spread around ;)