PDA

View Full Version : The Break Cue Lie

8-ball bernie
11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
it is in my opinion, that a while back, when pool players started buying break cues, that they wer'e told that you can damage your playing cue,so you need a cheaper cue to break with.then manufactueres saw that players wer'e buying cheaper cues as if to not damage their playing cue, so they sold us on, here look these are cues that are made to improve your break. question, what would happen if you broke with your playing cue? and used the exact same force/speed as you would with a so called "break cue" my answer?= the same results, first of all, no damage would occur to your precious playing cue, none what so ever! your tip will remain intact, ferrull will hold up,and your shaft will be the same as well. my point? break cues do not improve your break,and more importantly, you can not damage your playing cue,if you chose to use it as a break shot cue as well.

ribdoner
11-21-2006, 08:56 PM
it is in my opinion, that a while back, when pool players started buying break cues, that they wer'e told that you can damage your playing cue,so you need a cheaper cue to break with.then manufactueres saw that players wer'e buying cheaper cues as if to not damage their playing cue, so they sold us on, here look these are cues that are made to improve your break. question, what would happen if you broke with your playing cue? and used the exact same force/speed as you would with a so called "break cue" my answer?= the same results, first of all, no damage would occur to your precious playing cue, none what so ever! your tip will remain intact, ferrull will hold up,and your shaft will be the same as well. my point? break cues do not improve your break,and more importantly, you can not damage your playing cue,if you chose to use it as a break shot cue as well.

You are 100% correct.....as long as you only play one pocket or straight pool.;)

Tristan
11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
If you break hard, your tip will flatten, mushroom, and wear out more quickly. Also one might like to break with a different tip hardness/diameter and/or shaft stiffness than that of their playing cue.

If you break soft it probably wouldn't make much difference.

--
Tristan

mooseman
11-21-2006, 09:02 PM
My only concern is what the effect of breaking when you have an ivory ferrule and/or joint on you playing cue. However if you consider how these materials are used in the wild as animals defend themselves I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

JoeyInCali
11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Tips don't last that long these days.
Why even shorten their lifespan?
b/j's are cheap these days.

Actionhound
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
you can also warp the shaft of a cue by breaking with it (thats what a very well respected cue maker told me)... so its not only the tip and ferrule that can be damaged... but also the shaft... but hey... who needs the shaft anyway... lol

JohnPT
11-21-2006, 09:21 PM
you can also warp the shaft of a cue by breaking with it (thats what a very well respected cue maker told me)... so its not only the tip and ferrule that can be damaged... but also the shaft... but hey... who needs the shaft anyway... lol

to clarify your statement, yes the break can warp a shaft IF you bend it on the table on the follow-thru. otherwise, it should not harm the shaft. unless, its a laminated shaft and you break like a monster.

Ruthless
11-21-2006, 09:22 PM

I wish you would tell this to the makers who build me cues. The 50+ ferrules, several split shafts, wobbling damaged joints, and even the McD butt I broke in half breaking with must have all been faulty products.

You learn something everyday (not) :eek:

JohnPT
11-21-2006, 09:24 PM
I wish you would tell this to the makers who build me cues. The 50+ ferrules, several split shafts, wobbling damaged joints, and even the McD butt I broke in half brealing with must have all been faulty products.

You learn something everyday (not) :eek:

I have not heard of anybody else damage as much cues. maybe it's you? :confused:

Ruthless
11-21-2006, 09:29 PM
I have not heard of anybody else damage as much cues. maybe it's you? :confused:

I know several people that play pro that also have break speeds in the higher 27-30 mph range that do the same on a regular basis.

Solartje
11-21-2006, 09:44 PM
since colin posted his power break technique, and my j/b was in repair (as it was broken in the inside), i used a regular housecue. it took me 5 breaks, before i split the housecue in 2...

ive broken shafts with phenolic tips (my J&J j/b cue)...

and im REALLY not a powerbreaker yet. at 20mph, u can break any shaft.

Icon of Sin
11-21-2006, 10:56 PM
More proof of you not belonging on the IPT. You're an idiot.

trueblu8
11-21-2006, 11:53 PM
since colin posted his power break technique, and my j/b was in repair (as it was broken in the inside), i used a regular housecue. it took me 5 breaks, before i split the housecue in 2...
Would you happen to have the link to that post?

xidica
11-22-2006, 12:07 AM
TAP TAP TAP!

This is just hilarious. Why not just break with a crowbar or something? Because you could NEVER break that right? You couldn't even bend it? No? No warpage?

Please...There are reasons break cues are made, and I tell you that my Jerico Stinger ain't too shabby...

But do what you like man..What do I care?

manwon
11-22-2006, 12:32 AM
TAP TAP TAP!

This is just hilarious. Why not just break with a crowbar or something? Because you could NEVER break that right? You couldn't even bend it? No? No warpage?

Please...There are reasons break cues are made, and I tell you that my Jerico Stinger ain't too shabby...

But do what you like man..What do I care?

It is hilarious, this guy should double his medication;) , however on another note owning a Billiards retail store, repair shop, and a pool hall I wish he was located in my area, it sounds like him and his friends would be a good source of income.:D

Manwon

junior718
11-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Well for Bernie its ok cause he dont really do much breaking.

cuetechasaurus
11-22-2006, 03:32 AM

ROFL!!!

Bernie, if you don't have a strong break, then sure you can use your playing cue. But if you do, you definately need a cue made for breaking. It's got alot to do with the tip, the ferrule, the flexibility of the shaft, the balance, and how solid the cue hits. I definately would not shoot a game with my break cue, there are alot of shots I can't do with it that I can do with my playing cue.

Look Bernie no offense, but I really think you should stop giving advice. I have yet to see you give any good advice, and there are alot of new players to this sport that read this website, and might think that since you are an IPT "pro", that you know what you are talking about. You might be doing alot more damage than good to people's games. Think about that for a second.

I used to think that you try to give advice out of the kindness of your heart. But after reading some of your other posts, where you boast about how good you can play, I think you are doing this for your ego more than anything.

Snapshot9
11-22-2006, 04:33 AM
It is not too hard to figure out that Bernie is an original BAR ROOM player that just got somewhat good, and didn't have the proper training from Pool rooms to begin with.

I have popped several tips breaking. I have split ferrules breaking (with SP). Before I got a break cue, I had several comments for years about how much my shaft bowed when breaking. (pro taper).

First off, a shaft that is 14mm with a conical taper is much much stiffer than a playing cue that is 12.75-13mm with a pro taper (13-15") and does not bow when breaking. Then the harder and shorter ferrule (if a break ferrule is on it) with a phenolic tip which measures somewhere around an 81 hardness level also contributes to giving you more of a power break even with less speed than you might have broke with before.

The only time I was timed was in Vegas several years ago, and I had speeds of 26, 28, and 31 something. I have tried a few different break cues, some did not seem that much better, some did, but if it allows you to break better and more consistent, which raises your overall game, then
it is well worth it. I have had several comments about my break since getting the J&J break/jump cue, and most of the guys I play ALL TRY to get the break from me because as they say, 'You break too good'. I heard that last Saturday night when matching up.

enzo
11-22-2006, 04:36 AM
my playing cue is great at putting a lot of spin on a cueball, it really grabs the cueball when i hit it. so, when i hit hard and a tad off center there is quite a bit of spin on the cueball. my break cue and its tip arent nearly as good at putting that amount of torque on the ball, but thats what i want right??? break cues seem to work for me. think of it like golf clubs in a players bag, just not to that extent.

tigerallenyim
11-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Agreed.
They make break cues not for marketing issues, but to meet the demands of the pool community. Even breaking with a playing cue will result is some sort of change to it. I've learn that by using my playing cue as a break cue, that I had to get it more maintained more than usual. Which would mean less time for me to shoot.... hey, for a long time I had only one cue so bringing it in to get it maintained bited the bag. So eventually I bought a breaking cue, i've obtained two benefits:
1. Less maintenance on both cues than having one cue doing two jobs.
2. Lessons learned on breaking efficiently.

xidica
11-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Agreed.
They make break cues not for marketing issues, but to meet the demands of the pool community. Even breaking with a playing cue will result is some sort of change to it. I've learn that by using my playing cue as a break cue, that I had to get it more maintained more than usual. Which would mean less time for me to shoot.... hey, for a long time I had only one cue so bringing it in to get it maintained bited the bag. So eventually I bought a breaking cue, i've obtained two benefits:
1. Less maintenance on both cues than having one cue doing two jobs.
2. Lessons learned on breaking efficiently.

Completely agreed. Less re-tipping on your cue. Less maintenance on the shafts. Less chance of damage to the playing cue.

I just recently got a bocote Jerico Stinger and man. Let me tell you what that thing is *insane* (for me anyway)

Purdman
11-22-2006, 07:54 AM
.01: I shape my tips the way I like them. They somewhat shape themselves thru use. The are shaped by my lathe and stroke. I find that if I use the same shape tip, I play more consistant. With that said, if I break with said tip, I will most certainly change the shape of the tip thus creating inconsistancy.

.02: I break with a custom SledgeHammer. Been using it for several years now and have developed a consistant break. I like it!!

.03: It probably doesn't bother Bernie to break with his playing cue because he doesn't get a chance to break except when playing the 8 Ball ghost!;)

Sorry Bernie, got to tell it like it is buddy!
Purdman:cool:

8-ball bernie
11-22-2006, 10:06 AM
i read your replies,and most of them wer'e interesting, some did agree with me,yes, if you break like sigel in a downward motion, your playing shaft doesn't have a chance, however, if you break flat across at 19 mph,your cue will be perfect,without any clue of damage. and this is the other point i want to drive home,the break shot is pure luck, if you don't believe me, try this experiment, break 5 times with your favorite break cue, note the results, then break 5 times with your playing cue,was there a difference?

on an 8-ball break could you predict what would happen? the answer is no and no,the break is pure luck in 8-ball from the box, and your playing cue,does just as fine of a job without damage.

Sharkeyes
11-22-2006, 10:42 AM
perhaps you might wish to rephrase the 8-ball statement.

I believe that the existence of most of the popular break or jump break cues today are due to the 9-ball crazy the last 20-30 years. They were designed so that players with weaker strokes were able to create more cue ball speed in order to get similar results like some of the pros were.

True, some players do prefer to break with a standard playing cue using a leather tip but there are quite a few players out there who break with a phenolic or specialty designed break cues and will swear by them.

Its not so much a scam but definitely a marketing strategy that just about every industry utilizes. Its simply supply and demand in motion. Public wants something that will improve their lives and the industry responded. In the process, they gave every possible reason they could think of to make their product appealing. It worked, like it does everywhere, with everything, at anytime.

Handsumm
11-22-2006, 10:44 AM
i read your replies,and most of them wer'e interesting, some did agree with me,yes, if you break like sigel in a downward motion, your playing shaft doesn't have a chance, however, if you break flat across at 19 mph,your cue will be perfect,without any clue of damage. and this is the other point i want to drive home,the break shot is pure luck, if you don't believe me, try this experiment, break 5 times with your favorite break cue, note the results, then break 5 times with your playing cue,was there a difference?

on an 8-ball break could you predict what would happen? the answer is no and no,the break is pure luck in 8-ball from the box, and your playing cue,does just as fine of a job without damage.

Dude, either you have a grandma break, or your playing cue IS a break cue, because you WILL NOT get the desired effect from breaking with your playing cue, especially if your playing cue has a soft tip on a thin flexible shaft.

Do you drive with your putter? NO.

My playing cue has a width of 11.75mm and a triangle tip on it. It is a little bit harder than most tips, but not half as hard as a phenolic. My shaft is very flexible on my playing cue, which translates into MORE SPIN, LESS IMPACT FORCE. MY break cue however, with its phenolic tip and 14mm shaft that is not flexible, transmits MORE ENERGY into the rack sending balls screaming for help.

Can you break with your playing cue, yes. Should you? Hell no, not if you don't want to RESHAPE and RETIP, and PURCHASE NEW SHAFTS, and HAVE SHITTY BREAK SPEED, and whatever else.

Get a clue man, you are wrong and everyone else is disagreeing with you.

BazookaJoe
11-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Who the hell gives Bernie positive rep?:confused:

8-ball bernie
11-22-2006, 10:57 AM
final post from me on this subject, this is what i'm saying, the break in 8-ball from the box, is pure luck, and no matter what cue you break with, you can not~ and will not predict the results,it's up to god, so go ahead, spend a fortune on a break cue, if that is your fancy, but if the ipt continues,and breaking from the box in 8-ball stays as the current rules are, you will see, more and more players, selling off their break cues,because~~~~~in 8-ball breaking from the box is 100% unpredictable.the end,over and out.

ScottR
11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Who the hell gives Bernie positive rep?:confused:
Must be sympathy rep . . . Or his momma. :p

Klopek
11-22-2006, 11:08 AM
After reading this I'm reminded of the Principal's speech in the movie Billy Madison,

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Bernie, you make me smile, thank-you. :)

jhendri2
11-22-2006, 11:14 AM
The biggest issue in breaking with your playing cue is the tip. I had the same problem as Snapshot in that tips would occassionally fly off when I broke.

As far as having a predictable break, yes if you practice it you can make predictions and they should be making the head ball in the side pocket and stopping the cue in the middle of the table when not breaking from the box which is typically only seen in the IPT. As far as the IPT goes, if there was no discernable difference in breaking with a leather tip and a phenolic tip, why did the IPT outlaw the phonelic tip? Because it gives the player an advantage...

Jim

PoolFool
11-22-2006, 11:16 AM
final post from me on this subject, this is what i'm saying, the break in 8-ball from the box, is pure luck...
You really have no clue what you are talking about. If you are playing 8ball or rotation you can not break softly. It's not a question of just pocketing a ball on the break, but really trying to get all the balls open to possibly run the table too. People who break hard need a harder and more durable ferrule and a harder tip helps too. Who in their right mind would slam a break shot with a ivory Ferrule and have a good chance of it cracking on them. You are clueless if you believe that a ferrule can not crack or break. You will NEVER get a clean open rack breaking soft in rotation, 8 Ball and 10 Ball. You have a chance in 9ball or 7ball because of less resistance, but once you add another ball your odds of an open rack really diminish. Once again you prove that you don't know Jack from Jill.

cuesrus
11-22-2006, 11:17 AM

Very funny, lol!
Absolutely correct. Bernie breaks only if he wins the lag!
Bernie loves to give bad advice and spew on about things he really doesn't have any expertise in. It may have a negative affect on new pool players but true pool players will realize that Bernie is not very knowledgeable.

Bernie, Do the entire pool community right and do not offer any more tips!!!
Thanks
Sincerely yours, Pool World at Large

PoolFool
11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
it is in my opinion, that a while back, when pool players started buying break cues, that they WER'E....Also on another note. If you make the mistake once, fine; But THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS WER'E!!! You spell it wrong EVERYTIME!!! It's either we're, were or where!

Handsumm
11-22-2006, 11:20 AM
final post from me on this subject, this is what i'm saying, the break in 8-ball from the box, is pure luck, and no matter what cue you break with, you can not~ and will not predict the results,it's up to god, so go ahead, spend a fortune on a break cue, if that is your fancy, but if the ipt continues,and breaking from the box in 8-ball stays as the current rules are, you will see, more and more players, selling off their break cues,because~~~~~in 8-ball breaking from the box is 100% unpredictable.the end,over and out.

It was up to God when he wrote the laws of physics. Have you studied physics? I have, somewhat extensively, but when I was faced with a difficult problem or equation i didn't pray about it.

Pool is not chaos, it is governed by laws which are determinant in form. Yes we may have trouble predicting the outcome of a break, but only because we are human. How do you think video game software programmers write the code for the game? Physics, predictable, calculable, physics.

Let me give it too you this way, may be too over your head, but here I go.

When two spherical objects collide they transfer energy to eachother. Some of the energy is lost in this collision which can be heard or seen (by a high speed video). When the object striking the other is deformed, it loses energy. A deformation is proportional to an objects density. If an objects is "softer" is will deform more, producing a weaker collision. (ie. not as much impact force, breaks don't spread with as much velocity, lesser chance of making a ball, etc.).

Therefore, if you use a harder (phenolic resin or other substance) tip. More energy is transferred to the cue ball equaling greater impact velocity which in turn produces a greater probability of making a ball on the break.

There, undisputable fact.

Billiard-ball collisions

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Physics/Particle_collisions.htm

supergreenman
11-22-2006, 11:20 AM
I'd go to 8-ball bernie for tax advice before I went to him for advice on pool.

PoolFool
11-22-2006, 11:25 AM
If you did that YOU'D get a call from the IRS really really fast... or in Bernie's language , YO'UD.

td873
11-22-2006, 11:27 AM
question, what would happen if you broke with your playing cue? and used the exact same force/speed as you would with a so called "break cue" my answer?= the same results

This is not an accurate statement. More conical tapers and different hardnesses in materials will yield different results in cue ball velocity. There is analytical data showing this.

Also, as mentioned before, mushrooming is a possibility with soft single layer tips. Further, if you have an ivory ferrule, there is a well-known possibility of damage to your cue - which is (generally) not present for phenolic tipped break cues.

Moreover, in the high stakes world of professional pool, any advantage that can be gained by using specialized equipment can be the difference between winning and losing.

-td

SCCues
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
If you break hard, your tip will flatten, mushroom, and wear out more quickly. Also one might like to break with a different tip hardness/diameter and/or shaft stiffness than that of their playing cue.

If you break soft it probably wouldn't make much difference.

--
Tristan
I play with a predator shaft with a soft Moori tip and I don't think it can take many sessions of playing 9 Ball for 5 hours. The tip will flatten and mushroom and the shaft itself has a hollow section behind the ferrule. I just don't think a shaft like this is intended to break with in 9 ball. My break cue has a stiff shaft with a phenolic ferrule tip combo and it's almost indestructable while my playing shaft is much more fragile.

Handsumm
11-22-2006, 11:58 AM
This is not an accurate statement. More conical tapers and different hardnesses in materials will yield different results in cue ball velocity. There is analytical data showing this.

Also, as mentioned before, mushrooming is a possibility with soft single layer tips. Further, if you have an ivory ferrule, there is a well-known possibility of damage to your cue - which is (generally) not present for phenolic tipped break cues.

Moreover, in the high stakes world of professional pool, any advantage that can be gained by using specialized equipment can be the difference between winning and losing.

-td

uhhhhh, thanks for reiterating my above post that proves this statement

td873
11-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Just for the record, I didn't read your post (I seldom read down to the third page of any of Bernie's Posts), so if my statement was a repeat, then take it as a compliment. In fact, it looks like I may have been typing at the same time as you, just hit enter later.

In any event, I think I stated the point more succinctly ;)

-td

Klopek
11-22-2006, 05:00 PM

-td
td873 made his point more succinctly, which I appreciate.:)

tk_it_ez
11-22-2006, 05:15 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. You might be doing your posting during your rec time in the prison library.

Nathan

berlowmj
11-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Perhaps the "break cue lie" was part of the Protocols of Zion.

StormHotRod300
11-23-2006, 02:23 AM
I do believe Larry Nevel was using a Omen JB cue as his playing cue and break cue in the IPT! but what kind of tip was he using? IDK But he is also a rare exception too.

The only way i can think that you could break with your playing cue and still get a similar result, as if you was using a break cue, would be if your playing cue had a Phenolic ferrule, and a HARD TIP! like a moori hard, water buffalo, stingray, sniper etc etc etc.

I have a Action SP with a phenolic ferrule/tip combo on it and IT BREAK GREAT!

And to say i could take my playing cue which has a LBM ferrule and a Triangle tip and still get the same results is crazy!

inthezone
11-23-2006, 07:42 AM
When the object striking the other is deformed, it loses energy.

Also STORES energy...think of a rubber ball.

A deformation is proportional to an objects density.

Actually it is proportional to its STIFFNESS (modulus of elasticity)...has nothing to do with density.

If an objects is "softer" is will deform more, producing a weaker collision.

Ever see a pic of a golf ball being compressed by a driver head?

A phenolic tip is faster in large part because it is more ELASTIC (live) and leather is more PLASTIC (dead)

MasterRacker
12-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I have a mercury-filled aluminum break cue with a stainless steel tip. When I let my stroke out a little to get above 40mph, I hear a kind of pinging noise. Is that normal? :eek:

MattRDavis
12-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I have a mercury-filled aluminum break cue with a stainless steel tip. When I let my stroke out a little to get above 40mph, I hear a kind of pinging noise. Is that normal? :eek:

I think I must have the same cue, except mine has a lithium wrap.

Whenever I break, people complain that their teeth hurt.

Wussies.

Pinocchio
12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
"I agree with Bernie 100% as long as you are playing one pocket or straight pool". Quote from Riboner
If you have a good break you can have flat tip - no tip -cracked ferrule-
giant ding in shaft from hitting light or worse
Pinocchio

seymore15074
12-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I see why someone may be skepical of the need for break cues, but the fact remains that they are important.

The majority of cues are fine to break with, but even then you may not want to put your tip through that kind of torture. You'll find yourself scuffing your tip more than shooting. If you are one of the people that are breaking your break cue when breaking, you are either breaking too hard, or breaking wrong. A standard cue will not break from breaking.

There are some cues that will not hold up to a break, however. Take the OB-1 shaft, for example. Break with it, and you can say goodbye to that ferrule. High-end cues that are made with ivory or other fragile materials are also not intended for breaking.

Also, I can't speak for everyone else's break cue, but my break cue DOES break better than my other cue. It is a different weight, has a stiffer shaft, and has a phenolic tip.

There is my unbiased response to the post.

despotic931
12-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I do believe Larry Nevel was using a Omen JB cue as his playing cue and break cue in the IPT! but what kind of tip was he using? IDK But he is also a rare exception too.

The only way i can think that you could break with your playing cue and still get a similar result, as if you was using a break cue, would be if your playing cue had a Phenolic ferrule, and a HARD TIP! like a moori hard, water buffalo, stingray, sniper etc etc etc.

I have a Action SP with a phenolic ferrule/tip combo on it and IT BREAK GREAT!

And to say i could take my playing cue which has a LBM ferrule and a Triangle tip and still get the same results is crazy!

I play pool with Larry (well, more like watch him run out, lol) but I believe he had a water buffalo tip on that cue

jimmy-leggs
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
If you did that YOU'D get a call from the IRS really really fast... or in Bernie's language , YO'UD.
yo'u mak'e me lau'gh poo'lfool .kee'p it up. lmho.

fish on
12-13-2006, 08:43 AM
I think I must have the same cue, except mine has a lithium wrap.

Whenever I break, people complain that their teeth hurt.

Wussies.

You guys made me laugh and I am on the way to get a flu shot, so not easy thing to do!:D

fish on
12-13-2006, 08:46 AM

The posts are these two above.