PDA

View Full Version : How quickly can lessons have an impact?

Scott Lee
11-22-2006, 10:23 AM
You read about Joe Tucker's feelings. Here's another...The answer is...IMMEDIATELY! I spent 4 hrs., on Saturday, with an A player in Boston, working on his stroke, and his setup and delivery. The very next day, he WON the "Best of the Best" Tournament. He sent me an email to let me know that it was due to my help, and that my directions were running in his mind, during the entire tournament.

For anyone interested, I'll be in the Baltimore/Wash. DC area Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and possibly Sunday...and I have some time slots available. I'll be going up to the York, PA and Lancaster, PA after that.
Please email me if you are interested.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
email: poolology@aol.com

Brian in VA
11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi Scott,

Based on my experiences in golf, I think it's especially true in top level players. Something small can make all the difference at that level and be enough to really ignite them.

I'm beginning to see my new pre-stroke stick without thinking about it but I still relapse from time to time. But it's getting there and I'm getting better.

Thanks!

Poz
11-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Scott
Your lesson had an immediate significant impact on my life. Since you left my home on Monday, I have lived in my pool room. My wife called her lawyer and the divorce will be final by the next time I see you.
Safe travelling. Bob

chas1022
11-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Well Bob u should have plenty of free time to practice then. Chuck

Scott Lee
11-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Scott
Your lesson had an immediate significant impact on my life. Since you left my home on Monday, I have lived in my pool room. My wife called her lawyer and the divorce will be final by the next time I see you.
Safe travelling. Bob

Bob...Well, at least I KNOW who will get the Kling! LOL Sure had fun...see you again soon!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

PoolSharkAllen
11-23-2006, 02:19 AM
Scott
Bob
Your wife made you choose between playing pool and her? :eek: ;)

Flex
11-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Is that story real or a hustle?

DelaWho???
11-23-2006, 06:25 AM
I had a Marathon 2hr lesson with Scott last night, and I am overwhelmed with the volume of knowledge he attempted to cram into my pea brain. He identified all my bad habits in about 30 seconds and laid them bare for my disection. There was my brain and lack of good fundimentals spattered all over the table....:eek:
I was relieved to find out what I was doing wrong, because I had no idea, and what to do to fix it. It wasn't as bad as I suspected it would be, I was/am doing a lot of things right (Scott is very good at pointing out your strengths), but what I was/am doing wrong was/is having a serious impact on my consistency and game.
I expect to play like crap until I incorporate what he showed me into my game and the mental chatter quiets down.
He was kind enough not to tell me to take a 2 week break and then quit.
Last year I decided to take up golf and had a "pro" look at my swing. He said "I can't help you"..... Fortunately Scott was up to the challenge. I hit them like a gorilla, and Scott has helped me figure out how to get some measure of control. I'll also add (just to show what he was working with) that he had to show me where center ball was.....:rolleyes: Thats right I can't find the middle of a sphere.....but I can now.....
That ought to explain why I sign my posts

McCue Banger McCue

Scott: I hope you'll give me a call next time you're here in the first state, if I'm not too much of a lost cause....lol

Mike_Mason
11-23-2006, 08:12 AM
My impression is that most people realize an improvement in their game immediately upon instruction. The level of improvement depends on many things. It may be a small improvement or a big improvement. The trick is to keep the improvement as part of your game.

A top player imo has a better ability to incorporate a new wrinkle in their game and keep it until they find something better to replace it.

A lesser player imo will realize an immediate improvement and quickly forget about it and revert back to the habits they had before the lesson. And when I say quickly I mean ten minutes sometimes lol.

And that is why I recommend getting to know a good player/instructor and learn things over a stretch of time. Give yourself more chances to eliminate bad but ingrained habits.

sjm
11-23-2006, 08:20 AM
No doubt, lessons can have an immediate impact, breaking bad habits, forming good ones, and adding insights and understanding.

Nonetheless, it's in the reenforcement process that I think most of the real learning takes place. I'm largely of the opinion that only a small fraction of what is learned is during a lesson, and that the gains are so easily erased if new found habits and knowledge are not applied immeidately and with diligence.

Scott Lee
11-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Banger McCue...Don't worry, be happy! You now have the tools to get where you want to go! Stick with the mother drills! I'll definitely see you next time I'm in DE!

Mike and sjm...You're both absolutely correct! We will forget 85-90% of new information, within two weeks, if we don't review it. That's why videotaping the lesson is SO critical. The student has paperwork to read and review, as well as hearing and seeing himself on camera. If the student reviews the material frequently enough, they can retain at least 75%, over the long term.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Sprite
11-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Scott
Safe travelling. Bob

Very similar. Even since i touch pool, i lose 2 girlfriends.:(

DelaWho???
11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
I have to add that after, I paid for the 6 and 1/2 hrs of table time and help Scott get his stuff in the car, give him basic directions to Baltimore(hope you didn't get lost Scott), I was so frazzled that I forgot to pay him... I shake his hand tell him it's nice to meet him and in a fog turn to go to my car...."Banger" he says "We still need to take care of business" I'm acting like I'm out with the guys and we're just parting ways.....Damn that was embarassing, because when I paid for the table time I made sure I got exact change for him.... He makes you feel like you've known him for a long time, and he has really excellent people skills, that you forget it's a business proposition, and the guy is trying to make a living.

It was time well spent Scott, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully next time I see you you won't have to call me on the cash....:rolleyes: I don't think you'll be calling my a yahoo again either....:cool: At least I'm not a duck killer....

McCue Banger McCue

Scott Lee
11-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Dan...Your directions were perfect. Thanks for all the help! I'm working with 5 more people here in Baltimore tomorrow and Saturday! God, I love my job!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com