PDA

View Full Version : My 14.1 high runs for February

Blackjack
02-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Every day I log down my high run for the day. This month I was able to play every day and I thought I would share some of the highs and lows with everybody here. I record these on a spreadsheet every month and I also print out a graph to go with it.

Feb 1 - 46
Feb 2 - 32
Feb 3 - 51
Feb 4 - 24
Feb 5 - 37
Feb 6 - 39
Feb 7 - 42
Feb 8 - 48
Feb 9 - 59
Feb 10 - 84
Feb 11 - 57
Feb 12 - 66
Feb 13 - 33
Feb 14 -141
Feb 15 - 76
Feb 16 - 54
Feb 17 - 72
Feb 18 - 98
Feb 19 - 52
Feb 20 - 53
Feb 21 -109
Feb 22 - 59
Feb 23 - 44
Feb 24 - 62
Feb 25 - 37
Feb 26 - 56
Feb 27 - 44

The way that I play my practice runs:

I start out with 15 balls on the table - and run 14 leaving a break ball - those 14 do not count towards my run. My run starts with the first break ball.

The run ends when I miss or am forced to play safe.

In February I recorded 2 runs over 100 - a 141 and a 109.

My average "HIGH RUN" is 58.33333.
I only recorded my high runs for the day, not every single run.

If you wonder why I don't count the first 14, its because by looking at the numbers I can tell where in the rack I started seeing trouble and where my run ended. There are a few high 50's and quite a few 44 ball runs. These were due to ineffectively spreading the pack on the break shot - OR - missing a secondary break ball. (44 balls is 3 racks [42] + the break ball and ending up with nada) - (58 is basically the same thing - only 14 balls later - lol). There is a nice 72 that I recorded on February 17 - which came to an end by crashing into my break ball late in the rack and knocking it against the rail - yes I was pissed because this was the smoothest run that I had in a long time and it ended due to a silly, careless, position error. The next day I was able to reach 98 and I missed a break ball by an eyelash - mostly because I was thinking about getting to 100. lol.

I have also posted this to show everybody that I don't hit triple digits every day. Somedays I don't even get close. I recorded some very low numbers (one day it was in the low 20's) and remember - these are my high runs for the day. The trick is to learn and correct what you are doing wrong. Most of my runs ended due to carelessness or by losing my cue ball somewhere along the way. There are also a large majority of unrecorded runs that ended due to having a crappy result off the break shot - mostly not getting any secondary break shots or key balls to develop. I have droughts that like that too. I had a stretch at the beginning of the month where I was unable to get over 60.

Next month I will do the same and I will compare my daily numbers with February to see if I improved or got worse. I hope this gives some of you the passion to get out there and play every day. You never know when something will kick in and you will get that next big run. The day before my 141 I was unable to get over 40. :confused:

Travis Bickle
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Blackjack,

About how many hours went into these sessions, on average?

Steve Lipsky
02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Nice runs David... also, thanks for your diligence in keeping these stats.

I must confess, I've read this a couple times but I still can't figure out why you're not counting the first 14. Can you elaborate on this please?

Dan White
02-27-2007, 08:27 PM

I must confess, I've read this a couple times but I still can't figure out why you're not counting the first 14. Can you elaborate on this please?

It sounds like he's scattering the first rack out on the table, and maybe shooting them to get warmed up a little?

a guess.

dwhite

acedotcom
02-27-2007, 09:11 PM
With 141 on 2/14 and 109 on 2/21, I'd say it wouldn't be such a good idea to play you on a Wednesday. On the other hand, you might be vulnerable on Tuesdays. If I'm reading the data correctly... ;)

Jimmy M.
02-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Feb 7 - 42
Feb 10 - 84
Feb 18 - 98
Feb 26 - 56

These are the ones that get under my skin - the missed break shots.

Gerry
02-28-2007, 05:58 AM
These are the ones that get under my skin - the missed break shots.

showing your hand there Jimmy!...only seasoned 14.1rs would pick that up!!

>putting in my notes..."Don't play Blackjack on Wednesday, Jimmy M. knows too much!" :)

Gerry

Williebetmore
02-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Steve,
Just an observation; he must be using a modified "Betmore System."

I've always felt that giving yourself a breakshot was like giving yourself a free 14 balls - so I always just kept track of runs in competition, and never tried straight pool in practice sessions. Once you convinced me that practice runs were in someway meaningful (you actually stated that it was easier to run balls in competition for you), I started my system which is to scatter 7-10 balls in foot area of the table; run them off (not counting those balls toward the run); and start with whatever break shot I can devise. It still is an artificial system (since there is always at least one suitable break shot in the balls I scatter); but I feel less like I got a "free 14" (since I do actually have to play up to a break shot - though I do not have to "manufacture" one).

My high run of 57 I guess could have been higher if I had counted the 7 or 8 balls I started with on the table. I like Blackjacks method.

Gerry
02-28-2007, 06:15 AM
I do basically the same thing, but I usually start out with the CB on the foot rail and make myself shoot a long one in the upper corner to start out, and if I miss I shoot a bunch of them since this is the shot you get after a safety battle a lot of times.

Gerry

Blackjack
02-28-2007, 11:09 AM
It sounds like he's scattering the first rack out on the table, and maybe shooting them to get warmed up a little?

a guess.

dwhite

Exactly.

I just toss them on the table, leaving a few balls in the rack area. I don't start and official run until the break shot because I count in 14's - its just the way that I have always practiced. As far as playing me on wednesdays, I started out of the gate with a 70 this morning - and by looking at that number, JimmyM knows exactly what happened. lol

acedotcom
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
It pains me to admit this, but my high run for February (during practice) was 28.

And I counted the first 14 balls!

Unfortunately, on my excursions to the pool room, I didn't run into anyone my speed who wanted to gamble on straight pool, just 9-ball, so I don't know how I would've done under pressure. Most likely, I would've made the loose balls, then played safe. I don't play outrageous break shots when I'm playing for money.:)

Steve Lipsky
02-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Exactly.

I just toss them on the table, leaving a few balls in the rack area. I don't start and official run until the break shot because I count in 14's - its just the way that I have always practiced. As far as playing me on wednesdays, I started out of the gate with a 70 this morning - and by looking at that number, JimmyM knows exactly what happened. lol

OK, as you know I respect the hell out of you David, but... :D

Why not just start with a full rack? Then you're divisible by 14 still, and your run is correct. If you think it's "cheating" to start out with open balls, fair enough, but why don't you just start with a closed rack and a break ball - exactly like any other rack would begin?

To be serious for a moment, if you ran 298 balls your way (but knew you started with 10 from the first rack that you're not counting), wouldn't you consider yourself a 300-ball runner? If you didn't, I'd follow you around, telling people you are!

To each his own, of course, but not giving yourself credit for balls that you have run... jeez man, it's kind of wacky lol :).

Blackjack
02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
To each his own, of course, but not giving yourself credit for balls that you have run... jeez man, it's kind of wacky lol :).

lol... Its just the way I have always done it. I guess "technically" it makes my 141 a 155, but I have never counted the first rack towards the run, so to me it doesn't matter. I just try to get in position for a workable break shot, rinse then repeat. Wacky? Not to me, but I guess you can call me Wackjack from now on. lol

Jimmy M.
02-28-2007, 01:34 PM
showing your hand there Jimmy!...only seasoned 14.1rs would pick that up!!

>putting in my notes..."Don't play Blackjack on Wednesday, Jimmy M. knows too much!" :)

Gerry

I just know where many of my runs have ended. ;)

Vahmurka
02-28-2007, 03:01 PM
makes me jealous you can play every day lol. Moreover you can devote enough time to straight pool daily!
Could be really great if you were recording your attempts on video. These 109 and 141 especially would've been nice to watch with your commentary. Posted on YouTube like TheOne did :)

Blackjack
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
makes me jealous you can play every day lol. Moreover you can devote enough time to straight pool daily!
Could be really great if you were recording your attempts on video. These 109 and 141 especially would've been nice to watch with your commentary. Posted on YouTube like TheOne did :)

I have my own room here in El Paso, I can play as much as I want. I was thinking of recording a few of my runs in the near future or possibly setting up a web cam so that anybody can watch my practices live.

Takumi4G63
02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Is it really not legitimate to start out a run with a break shot? The thing is, it sometimes happens in competition where you are left with an easy break shot when someone misses, or just two or three balls left to an easy break shot. Actually, this happens a lot even playing A or AA players. Do you not count it as a high run then, just because it's easy or your opponent leaves you easy? I think we all would count a run off this as legitimate.

No doubt it is more difficult to start off a run by waiting until you run to a break ball, but it seems arbitrary to count this as a legitimate way to start a run but not starting with a break shot. It still isn't a competition situation, and you are still setting yourself up easier than you will often be left in competition with 15 wide open balls, or 7, or however many you give yourself.

I guess my point is that it seems arbitrary to say one type of practice run is legitimate while another is not, when neither of them can really be said to be competition situations. One is more challenging, but I don't see any clear criteria separating the situations when both can happen in competition.

The only thing that seems obvious is that it shouldn't count to leave yourself 14 hangers and an easy break shot, and count all those towards a run.

Takumi4G63
03-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Blackjack, I was wondering how tight the pockets are on the table you practice on? Regardless, you are a real strong straight pool player. Keep it up.

3andstop
03-02-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm sure most of us have read the book Pointing the Way by the Monk. He talks about our Id and how it is going to be there, exposing it, coming to terms with it, and even naming it.

Well, when I practice straight pool I do something to keep my Id occupied. I play a game against it. I've named my Id Sid. :) and we start right out from the opening break and see who can make the highest run.

Its neat, cause if Sid starts running balls, "I" can get in his head for a change! :)

mworkman
03-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I think its cool that he can play every day also. Maybe that's my problem. :rolleyes: Thanks for keeping track of your high runs for the day also. It will make me feel better when my high run for the day is in the 20's. I can just tell myself "Blackjack has days like this too". :D

sniper
03-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I wished I had the discipline to play every single day like you Blackjack. Unfortunately 14.1 matchups are few and far between around here, the only sessions I get in are when I play at home by myself.

Poolmanis
11-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Every day I log down my high run for the day. This month I was able to play every day and I thought I would share some of the highs and lows with everybody here. I record these on a spreadsheet every month and I also print out a graph to go with it.

Feb 1 - 46
Feb 2 - 32
Feb 3 - 51
Feb 4 - 24
Feb 5 - 37
Feb 6 - 39
Feb 7 - 42
Feb 8 - 48
Feb 9 - 59
Feb 10 - 84
Feb 11 - 57
Feb 12 - 66
Feb 13 - 33
Feb 14 -141
Feb 15 - 76
Feb 16 - 54
Feb 17 - 72
Feb 18 - 98
Feb 19 - 52
Feb 20 - 53
Feb 21 -109
Feb 22 - 59
Feb 23 - 44
Feb 24 - 62
Feb 25 - 37
Feb 26 - 56
Feb 27 - 44

The way that I play my practice runs:

I start out with 15 balls on the table - and run 14 leaving a break ball - those 14 do not count towards my run. My run starts with the first break ball.

The run ends when I miss or am forced to play safe.

In February I recorded 2 runs over 100 - a 141 and a 109.

My average "HIGH RUN" is 58.33333.
I only recorded my high runs for the day, not every single run.

If you wonder why I don't count the first 14, its because by looking at the numbers I can tell where in the rack I started seeing trouble and where my run ended. There are a few high 50's and quite a few 44 ball runs. These were due to ineffectively spreading the pack on the break shot - OR - missing a secondary break ball. (44 balls is 3 racks [42] + the break ball and ending up with nada) - (58 is basically the same thing - only 14 balls later - lol). There is a nice 72 that I recorded on February 17 - which came to an end by crashing into my break ball late in the rack and knocking it against the rail - yes I was pissed because this was the smoothest run that I had in a long time and it ended due to a silly, careless, position error. The next day I was able to reach 98 and I missed a break ball by an eyelash - mostly because I was thinking about getting to 100. lol.

I have also posted this to show everybody that I don't hit triple digits every day. Somedays I don't even get close. I recorded some very low numbers (one day it was in the low 20's) and remember - these are my high runs for the day. The trick is to learn and correct what you are doing wrong. Most of my runs ended due to carelessness or by losing my cue ball somewhere along the way. There are also a large majority of unrecorded runs that ended due to having a crappy result off the break shot - mostly not getting any secondary break shots or key balls to develop. I have droughts that like that too. I had a stretch at the beginning of the month where I was unable to get over 60.

Next month I will do the same and I will compare my daily numbers with February to see if I improved or got worse. I hope this gives some of you the passion to get out there and play every day. You never know when something will kick in and you will get that next big run. The day before my 141 I was unable to get over 40. :confused:

I dig up oldie. sry about that all..

Ive been digging 14.1 forum to find old threads where i could pick up inspiration.. This seem to be one.
Great idea.
I gonna try do something similar to get more motivation. Maybe I try do 3-4 days per week same consept next month.

Dan White
11-27-2015, 02:02 AM
I dig up oldie. sry about that all..

Ive been digging 14.1 forum to find old threads where i could pick up inspiration.. This seem to be one.
Great idea.
I gonna try do something similar to get more motivation. Maybe I try do 3-4 days per week same consept next month.

That would be great to see. I saw this thread and was very interested to see Blackjack doing something like this now in 2015. As I read the follow up posts I saw one from me! That's when I realized the thread was 8 years old. I wonder if BJ ever continued the data collection into the next month.

In regards to how to start a run when keeping track I have two thoughts. First, I start my runs often by giving myself a less than ideal break shot. Maybe something a little too shallow so that the initial break isn't so great. To me that takes care of the bias in smashing open the first rack.

Secondly, when I start running 100's on command then I'll worry more about how my first rack starts!

Blackjack
11-27-2015, 01:07 PM
That would be great to see. I saw this thread and was very interested to see Blackjack doing something like this now in 2015. As I read the follow up posts I saw one from me! That's when I realized the thread was 8 years old. I wonder if BJ ever continued the data collection into the next month.

In regards to how to start a run when keeping track I have two thoughts. First, I start my runs often by giving myself a less than ideal break shot. Maybe something a little too shallow so that the initial break isn't so great. To me that takes care of the bias in smashing open the first rack.

Secondly, when I start running 100's on command then I'll worry more about how my first rack starts!

I kept track of my high runs for the day for a little while (on & off) - but I think I stopped a few months after this. I might have the results saved on a disk somewhere - but 8 years after the fact - I doubt that any of data would even be useful to me.

I have lost the ability to play the game for long periods of time (Parkinson's Disease), so it is not likely that I would attempt anything like this today.

What I learned from it was that on some days I played better - some days I played worse - and some days I played somewhere in between.

Poolmanis
11-28-2015, 06:05 AM
I kept track of my high runs for the day for a little while (on & off) - but I think I stopped a few months after this. I might have the results saved on a disk somewhere - but 8 years after the fact - I doubt that any of data would even be useful to me.

I have lost the ability to play the game for long periods of time (Parkinson's Disease), so it is not likely that I would attempt anything like this today.

What I learned from it was that on some days I played better - some days I played worse - and some days I played somewhere in between.

Damn. I feel sorry about your health issue..
I still feel this is great consept. I might try record all my scores. So I then could mark down daily average + high run and after month have 2 measurements: high run average and all run average. If i get lazy I still gotta do at least high run average.

Dan White
12-06-2015, 05:32 AM

Sorry to hear about your health issue. Hopefully you can keep it under some control. Do you still do player evaluations? Those were always interesting.

Sounds from the bold text that maybe you didn't get a lot out of the exercise?

alstl
12-06-2015, 09:06 AM

I wasn't aware of your health problems. I have always enjoyed your posts and analysis.

jieiko
01-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Hello Blackjack

Yes, I heard about your condition from a friend of mine about a month ago. I really need to give you credit for a major quantum leap in my playing ability. It was mostly the earlier stuff you posted about the mental aspect of the game. Resiliency is the name of one article that I read and it changed my game nearly over night. I really enjoyed reading those articles and I even apply them to my life in generally. Oh yeah, the one about feeding the correct animal was a great one as well. Hang tough brother!

Blackjack
01-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Hello Blackjack

Yes, I heard about your condition from a friend of mine about a month ago. I really need to give you credit for a major quantum leap in my playing ability. It was mostly the earlier stuff you posted about the mental aspect of the game. Resiliency is the name of one article that I read and it changed my game nearly over night. I really enjoyed reading those articles and I even apply them to my life in generally. Oh yeah, the one about feeding the correct animal was a great one as well. Hang tough brother!

Glad you enjoyed the articles! If you ever need help with anything, just let me know!