PDA

View Full Version : Most Perfect 14.1 Run You've Seen on Video

JLW
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
What is the most technically perfect 14.1 run you have ever seen on video? I don't pretend to know a great deal about straight pool, but Mike Sigel's 150 and out against Mike Zuglan and Irving Crane's 150 and out against Joe Balsis stand out in my mind as two nearly perfect runs. Anyone have any others they would recommend as required viewing for straight pool fans?

sjm
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Well, this one I saw live. In Sigel's 150 against Zuglan at the 1992 US Open, he gets out of line exactly once and cruises to 150, with Jimmy Caras and Willie Mosconi watching from the front row. This run has often been acclaimed as a picture of technical excellence and elegance.

Zuglan's now legendary comment when the match ended was "I need to work on my lag."

sjm
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Another technically superior run was Ralf Souquet's 120-something in the semi-finals of the 2000 BCA 14.1 championships against Efren Reyes.

StraightPoolIU
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, this one I saw live. In Sigel's 150 against Zuglan at the 1992 US Open, he gets out of line exactly once and cruises to 150, with Jimmy Caras and Willie Mosconi watching from the front row. This run has often been acclaimed as a picture of technical excellence and elegance.

Zuglan's now legendary comment when the match ended was "I need to work on my lag."

I've watched that tape many times, and I don't see how a run gets much better than that. 1. Sigel does it in 1 inning from the break 2. there are no banks in it 3. there are very few combinations 4. he only has to come with a tough shot 1 time that i remember when he is forced to back-cut the 5 ball uptable. I didn't know Caras and Mosconi were watching that when it happend. Talk about pressure.

Gerry
03-02-2007, 04:44 AM
I've watched that tape many times, and I don't see how a run gets much better than that. 1. Sigel does it in 1 inning from the break 2. there are no banks in it 3. there are very few combinations 4. he only has to come with a tough shot 1 time that i remember when he is forced to back-cut the 5 ball uptable. I didn't know Caras and Mosconi were watching that when it happend. Talk about pressure.

I see it a little differently. I don't think Mike felt pressure, I think he wanted to put on a stellar performance for 2 of the greatest living legends. I think he showed confidence more than anything during that match. I also watch that match at least once a month!

Gerry

bruin70
03-02-2007, 05:55 AM
miz beating sigel. i forget when,,,maybe the year orttman won. don't know. what's technically perfect? simplest pattern?,,,easiest shots?,,,something that makes the most sense to me?,,,

JLW
03-02-2007, 09:56 AM
miz beating sigel. i forget when,,,maybe the year orttman won. don't know. what's technically perfect? simplest pattern?,,,easiest shots?,,,something that makes the most sense to me?,,,
Well, let me put it this way. It appeared to me that Sigel only made 1 or 2 shots that entire run that didn't turn out exactly the way he wanted them to. The earlier comment about confidence applies too I think. He just seemed to be on auto-pilot. It was really an incredible run. The first time I saw it, I was blown away.

poolplayer2093
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
i've got a tape of efren reyes running 147 in a race to 150 against dallas west. dallas west didn't give up though he fought back with some great safety play

eales
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Another technically superior run was Ralf Souquet's 120-something in the semi-finals of the 2000 BCA 14.1 championships against Efren Reyes.

I agree with this one. Ralf Souquet runs 28 & misses position on the break. He plays safe & Reyes wins the battle. Reyes runs 40+ and misses, I think. Souquet is absolutely perfect running out. I can't recall one hard shot.

Jim Eales

DJKeys
03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
He also has to break out two tied up balls on the upper side rail. He has very few balls left with which to do it, but he gets them separated and the run continues. Fabulous run.

JLW
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
He also has to break out two tied up balls on the upper side rail. He has very few balls left with which to do it, but he gets them separated and the run continues. Fabulous run.
Yes, I rank that run and Ronnie O'Sullivan's fastest recorded 147 as the two most impressive pool related feats I've ever witnessed.

Vahmurka
03-02-2007, 04:58 PM
And it's just amazing when Grady Mathews, one of doing commentary for Sigel vs Zuglan match, describes what is to be done and Sigel performs it hust like Grady suggests. Great game, great run, great commentary.

In regard with commentary I remember hilarious moment from Souquet's run. Ralf leaves a key ball (next to break ball on the same rail) and DannyD starts saying "Oh I don't like what he's doing, I don't like the way..." and is forced to interrupt by what he watches "Oh, what a shot!!!" Souquet made several breaks like that one later I think and Danny didn't blame him for that any more :)

sjm
03-03-2007, 10:23 PM

I don't think Miz would have played Sigel the year Ortmann won, because, if memory serves, that would be 1993, the year of the boycott by many of the top players, including both Miz and Sigel. As Sigel went undefeated in the 1992 Straight Pool Championships and there was no championship in 1991, more likely is that the match to which you refer occurred in the 1990 Straight Pool Championships won by Bobby Hunter.

Technically perfect, to me, means the racks were run with adherence to the most basic principles of running balls at straight pool: a) clearing the rails early, b) unlocking blocked pockets, c) minimal short side position, d) avoidance of long and/or difficult shots, and e) very easy end patterns involving minimal cue ball movement due to accurate planning.

Tommy-D
03-04-2007, 12:26 AM
> I'm with you there,Sigel's 2nd 150-out against Zuglan has and always will be a source of inspiration for me,as flawless as can be. His other one,against Rempe in '89,is also a personal fave. He really shows heart and balls in this one,to come up with the shots he did to keep the run going. Tommy D.

StraightPoolIU
03-04-2007, 07:40 AM
> I'm with you there,Sigel's 2nd 150-out against Zuglan has and always will be a source of inspiration for me,as flawless as can be. His other one,against Rempe in '89,is also a personal fave. He really shows heart and balls in this one,to come up with the shots he did to keep the run going. Tommy D.

I was just about to ask if anyone had seen Sigels 150 and out in the 1989 championship. I've personally always wanted to see this tape, but all of the Accu-stats videos from the '89 U.S. Open are out of print. Personally, I think if it's a 150&out it should always be available for sale.

Bobby
03-04-2007, 02:20 PM
i've got a tape of efren reyes running 147 in a race to 150 against dallas west. dallas west didn't give up though he fought back with some great safety play

Are you referring to the match they played at the 2000 U.S. Open? Where Reyes wins 150-1? I don't
believe Reyes ran 147 balls, he may have been up 147-0 but I don't recall a big run like that, I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Bobby

StraightPoolIU
03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Are you referring to the match they played at the 2000 U.S. Open? Where Reyes wins 150-1? I don't
believe Reyes ran 147 balls, he may have been up 147-0 but I don't recall a big run like that, I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Bobby

You're right I don't think it was a 147, but I do think it was around 140.

DJKeys
03-06-2007, 10:02 AM
You're right I don't think it was a 147, but I do think it was around 140.

I have that tape, the run was 141, and it was beautiful.

One of the most impressive runs I have ever seen is in the same tournament, 2000 US Open, Ortmann vs. Rempe. After Ortmann runs 129, Rempe gets a chance at the table. The first rack he has two bad rolls and has to make a bank and a very difficult shot off the rail. He continues his run and just gets lousy spreads on almost every break shot but picks away at the balls and keeps his run alive with a head spot break shot, side pocket break shot, etc. He had about 4 run-ending situations and gets out of all of them. He ends on a safety (after running 96) and Ortman scratches and leaves a dead ball in the stack. Rempe shoots it, but he has to cut the first ball in the combination to his right, and the cueball hits the one ball and blocks the dead ball from going in the corner. Talk about frustrating. Ortmann only needs about 17 and gets out, match ends, 150-144. This is one amazing run, this tape is highly recommended.

Road Warrior
03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I have both of Sigel's 150 and outs and I had the crane balsas one (Not sure what the hell I did with it) But can anyone here recommend any other great str8 pool matches, not necessarily huge runs just great shot making, commentary, whatever. Any thoughts will be appreciated

Donovan
03-06-2007, 06:58 PM
What is the most technically perfect 14.1 run you have ever seen on video? I don't pretend to know a great deal about straight pool, but Mike Sigel's 150 and out against Mike Zuglan and Irving Crane's 150 and out against Joe Balsis stand out in my mind as two nearly perfect runs. Anyone have any others they would recommend as required viewing for straight pool fans?

No one likes to sound like a broken record, a broken record, a broken record...I love Zuglan's game, but yeah Mike's run was really amazing. Would have been great to see it continue, like they did for Niels Feijen's 259.

metallicane
02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I have both of Sigel's 150 and outs and I had the crane balsas one (Not sure what the hell I did with it) But can anyone here recommend any other great str8 pool matches, not necessarily huge runs just great shot making, commentary, whatever. Any thoughts will be appreciated

How about the match between Sigel and Schmidt where Sigel breaks his cue:eek: . Listening to the commentators say he slipped just cracks me up.

dave sutton
02-21-2008, 10:48 PM

i agree. best one ive ever seen. ive studied it. he gets out of line one time and shoots the ball down tablelike it was a hanger.

im glad someone else shares my feelings.

the opening shot was great! seigel came to pay that day

dallas west had a big run on the next table during that match.

i had a tape:

1 jim rempe: how to run a rack in straight pool
2 jim rempe: how to run 100 balls
3 seigel vs. zugland - 150 and out

all on the same tape

my straight pool bible!!! i wanted it every night before bed and while i slept

bud green
02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Rempe played fantastic straight pool. His 1989 match with Varner is a good one if you can find it, he runs 133 and out.

Any of the 2000 14.1 US Open tapes with Rempe are excellent. He beats Ginky 150 to -12 (great player review tape), then loses two heartbreaking matches where he runs 85-96 balls and then Ortmann or Engert run out.

Grady's 102 and out at the 1995 Maine Event against Dallas West was also a great run.

Jimmy M.
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I was just about to ask if anyone had seen Sigels 150 and out in the 1989 championship. I've personally always wanted to see this tape, but all of the Accu-stats videos from the '89 U.S. Open are out of print. Personally, I think if it's a 150&out it should always be available for sale.

It isn't nearly as good as his run in 1992. Greenleaf may have rolled over in his grave a few times during that run. :D

Jimmy M.
02-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Dallas West vs. Mike Zuglan, also from the 1992 US Open, is a great match. Dallas runs 57, comes up with no shot after the break, Zuglan runs 48, then Dallas runs 93 and out. Dallas plays an older style of game (as pointed out several times during the match by Johnny Ervolino), where he's chipping away at the rack and moving balls, as opposed to the Sigel style where he explodes the rack and rarely moves a ball. It's a great tape, especially if you want to see that style of game played at the highest level.

selftaut
02-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Dallas West vs. Mike Zuglan, also from the 1992 US Open, is a great match. Dallas runs 57, comes up with no shot after the break, Zuglan runs 48, then Dallas runs 93 and out. Dallas plays an older style of game (as pointed out several times during the match by Johnny Ervolino), where he's chipping away at the rack and moving balls, as opposed to the Sigel style where he explodes the rack and rarely moves a ball. It's a great tape, especially if you want to see that style of game played at the highest level.

I love that match, I watch it over and over. Dallas is one of my favorite players.

dave sutton
02-23-2008, 03:17 AM
well when it comes to straight pool the old school guys are the best. they played the game very simple.

conetip
02-23-2008, 10:51 AM
FIGJAM: F!@k I'm Good Just Ask Me

Where did you get that from. I have not heard that in about 15 years.
Neil

jhendri2
02-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Though not a match, the DVD that John Schmidt that he put out running 245 balls is amazing.

The Rempe v Ortmann match from the 2000 U.S. Open is a classic also.

Jim

beetle
02-24-2008, 10:23 PM
You all have to get the Harriman - Schmidt straight pool match that TAR put out. It is a great battle, with good runs in the 40's, 50's and even a 100+ from Schmidt on the way to a close finish (going to 400).

Harriman is the more aggressive of the two, in particular with his break shots where he sometimes has so much angle you just can't believe he's going to take the shot, but he spears it in and gets a great spread.

Schmidt is also aggressive a few times, though, like once when he makes a 4 ball combination that's not at all lined up!

I learned a lot about theory anyway, even if I can't execute.

Salamander
02-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Technically the best straight pool match I've watched. On several of the racks Ervolino actually calls all the shots when there is something like 8 or more balls left in the rack. Dallas West was magnificent.

bluepepper
02-28-2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks for posting this. This is the one tape I've been wanting to get, and after this post I'm finally going to order it. I have the Reyes/West match and the Varner/West match from Accustats. Both tapes don't show enough of Dallas doing his thing. But there was a taste of his style of play that left me wanting more. I got the impression he really sees the balls in a different way.

Jeff

jjr183
02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't think Miz would have played Sigel the year Ortmann won, because, if memory serves, that would be 1993, the year of the boycott by many of the top players, including both Miz and Sigel. As Sigel went undefeated in the 1992 Straight Pool Championships and there was no championship in 1991, more likely is that the match to which you refer occurred in the 1990 Straight Pool Championships won by Bobby Hunter.

The Miz lost to Ortmann in the finals of the 1989 Championship. This match was actually very poorly played on both sides; even the commentators had a tough time finding good things to say about it.

bluepepper
03-05-2008, 10:08 PM

I have to say I was excited to see this match and ordered it. But the way Dallas ran the balls wasn't as unique as I expected. The way he ran the last few racks when he sped up his shooting tempo was nice to watch, but still not all that unique. I didn't see it as chipping away at the rack so much as clearing the open balls before going back into the remaining cluster for just one more breakout. This is something I'll certainly try doing. It allows for more space to move around as well as avoiding bumping balls into already open ones.

Commentating, I love the threesome of Grady Matthews, Bill Staton, and Johnny Ervolino. It's always a treat to hear Grady and Bill, and Johnny was truly impressive, as he was in the Sigel 150 and out tape against Zuglan. He seems to see the table a bit differently, and I only wish I could have taken some lessons from him while he was still alive. I would have picked his brain and paid well for it. Obviously a very knowledgable man about straight pool layouts. It almost makes me want to get the Ervolino match against Strickland, but I wonder if it really shows enough strategy that's significantly different from the tapes I have.

I have straight pool matches showing Sigel, Mizerak, Zuglan, Varner, West, Grady, Efren, Ortmann, Chin, Souquet, Engert, Rempe, Garcia, Crane, and Massey. I even have a short run of Mosconi's. I also have the Mike Schmidt 245 DVD. Probably plenty to learn from.

I think I'm looking too hard for the perfect way of running balls, and I always think the answer is in the next tape. Maybe I already think fine, and just need to practice the embarassingly easy shots that often end my runs.

I don't regret the purchase of the West/Zuglan match. I was just expecting too much.

Jeff

bluepepper
03-05-2008, 10:14 PM
By the way, for me, watching Mizerak is the most enjoyable. There's just an effortlessness and rhythm to the way he played. Of the tapes I have, the Mizerak/Sigel match in '89 is my favorite, but of course, way too short in length.

I also ejoy the Reyes/West match at the 2000 US Open. Efren plays with the same fluidity and rhythm that makes spectating a meditation.

Jeff

PoolBum
03-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Sigel's 150-and-out against Zuglan in '92 is also the best I've ever seen. Crane's 150-and-out against Balsis is also legendary, of course.

Other notable matches I can think of...

Mizerak's win over Sigel in 1989, where I think the Miz ran 104.

Zuglan's 148 against Ray Martin, which I think was later in the same day in '92 after Sigel ran that 150 on him. Zuglan was 2 balls away from 150-and-out when he got funny on a ball and had to shoot a combination that missed. Mike feigned shooting himself in the head after the match for not getting the 150 ball run.

Sigel's 150-and-out against Rempe in 1989 was very suspenseful, though not nearly as flawless as his '92 run. IIRC, Sigel broke, Rempe came with a very tough shot that he hit perfectly, only to get an unfavorable kiss and end up without a shot. Rempe then played a touchy little safety trying to stick the cueball on the endrail under the rack behind a ball. He barely, barely missed hiding the cueball, left a tough shot in the side pocket that Sigel made, and 149 balls later it was over.

Finally, there was Sigel's 2nd round match against Varner in 2000 after Sigel lost his comeback opener to Schmidt, and Varner also dropped his first-round match. Incredible play by both players, with Sigel getting out in 2 innings with a run of 64 after a safety battle in between and a 60+ something run by Varner after Sigel opened with an 86.