PDA

View Full Version : small tables?

JayBates
03-12-2007, 09:25 AM
do any of you play on small tables? 7 foot 14.1 maybe? well i have an old 6.5 foot Valley made in the 60's with shimmed pockets. its not the greatest thing in the world cosmeticly but it plays great and it sure beats paying per game or per hour. anyway playing 14.1 on it is really hectic. it gets discuraging more often than not simply because there is no room to move around. pocketing balls isnt a big deal because its a small table but position play and breaking clusters really makes you focus. anyway i decided to play this past weekend with 10 balls instead of 15. there was a bit more room to move around and there werent as horrible of clusters as normaly. anyway, my personal best at 14.1 is 24 but playing with 10 balls i hit 35 (after spreading a few and running to a break ball, the break ball starts the run). i know it doesnt count as my best because its just not the real thing but it sure brought the excitement level back up. it wasnt as fustrating and discuraging as normaly. just thought i would share that i found a way to make this game more enjoyable on less than enjoyable equiptment conditions. and not all of us have the luxury of having a big room for a 9 footer :( so...anyone else play on small tables?

Neil
03-12-2007, 11:36 AM

jojopiff
03-13-2007, 09:53 AM
The bar I play league out of opens the bar boxes for our team anytime we come in and play and on the rare occasion I can get someone to play straight pool with me it's usually on a bar box. I don't particularly care for it but I never complain about it because I'm actually getting to play against someone.

forabeer
01-04-2008, 07:57 AM
I have a 7' Golden West with shimmed pockets. 2 balls side by side will not drop.
Just wanted to say that 14.1 is very frustrating but also fun. Still have not broken 50 on this table. Very close several times.
Would prefer a 9 footer but no room right now.

Does anyone else practice/play 14.1 on a small tight pocketed table?

dmgwalsh
01-04-2008, 08:00 AM
do any of you play on small tables? 7 foot 14.1 maybe? well i have an old 6.5 foot Valley made in the 60's with shimmed pockets. its not the greatest thing in the world cosmeticly but it plays great and it sure beats paying per game or per hour. anyway playing 14.1 on it is really hectic. it gets discuraging more often than not simply because there is no room to move around. pocketing balls isnt a big deal because its a small table but position play and breaking clusters really makes you focus. anyway i decided to play this past weekend with 10 balls instead of 15. there was a bit more room to move around and there werent as horrible of clusters as normaly. anyway, my personal best at 14.1 is 24 but playing with 10 balls i hit 35 (after spreading a few and running to a break ball, the break ball starts the run). i know it doesnt count as my best because its just not the real thing but it sure brought the excitement level back up. it wasnt as fustrating and discuraging as normaly. just thought i would share that i found a way to make this game more enjoyable on less than enjoyable equiptment conditions. and not all of us have the luxury of having a big room for a 9 footer :( so...anyone else play on small tables?

I've never done it, but I recall watching an old 14.1 instructional tape that George Fels did, along with Bert Kinister and because of whatever size the table was, they racked only ten balls and demonstrated that way, because there was not enough room with a full rack.

forabeer
01-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Full Rack straight pool on the shimmed 7 footer is rough.

nick serdula
01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Use a red dot cueball.
Just a thought,
Nick :)

putt-putt44
01-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Great Post Guys,,,,right Now I Have A 6' ''olhausen'' In My Upstairs Loft,,,,yes,,,i Have Played 14.1 On It Along With All The Other Popular Games Including 3 Ball With That Neat Novelty Rack,,,

I Guess Anything Can Work,,,anyone Else Have Any Tight Spots As Well ???

Some Angles Are Very Tough With A Full Size Cue,,nedless To Say,,it's A Lot Different With A Small Cue ,,,,

Any Other Dilemas Out There That Us 6' Table Users Can Share ???

It Beats Not Playaing At All When You Can House Even A 6 Footer In Your Home And Playa T Your Descretion.........alan.........

14oneman
01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Years ago, I lived for a brief period in NYC, in an apartment which had a 7'. I hated it, since I grew up playing on 10'.

Sometimes you just gotta' do what ya gotta' do!

mworkman
01-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I have a 7' Dynamo. I practice by myself once in a while playing straight pool 14.1. My high run on it is 65. Ussually after a hour or two of practice I will have a high run of 30-40 or so. I think it is great practice for me because I play in a 8-ball league on 7'ers. It teaches you how to break out clusters and play good shape if you want to continue your runs. I've always wondered how everyone else fairs on these small tables. Looks like not too many play 14.1 on them.

forabeer
01-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Finally!!! Ran a 51 this past weekend! Very proud because the little table can be a b#*ch being 7' & shimmed pockets. I wanted to break into the 5th rack so bad but got excited about the run being 50+ and failed to break apart a small cluster & got out of position to make another shot:(

Been trying to break 50 on that little Golden West for a few months!!!

JayBates
01-16-2008, 12:18 PM
talk about diging up the dead posts! lol. i still have my table. have been playing on it for a while now. yes, it is a small crappy valey but its even too big for the room. im adicted to pool tho...play pool in not so good playing conditions or not play at all? you bet im going for the first one. back to 14.1....i have ran 44 on this table but do not consider it my high run because its not at least an 8 foot. i play almost exclusively on bar boxes so i suppose im just more comfortable with this one compared to a big table. my high run on a real table is 32 and that was on a 9 foot with bucket pockets. i have used only 10 balls several times but never kept score. it adds a twist to things. i like to try to play with diferent twists to the game....only use the two bottom pockets like 1pocket...or only use the left 3 or right 3 pockets. makes things a little more interesting. just a little ramble...
Jay