PDA

View Full Version : scoring beeds

Ant812
04-11-2007, 07:52 AM
im looking to install some beads in my pool room. i have never actually seen them other than pictues of just the beads on a string. probably a stupid question but how do you install them so they function properly? any pictures you could show me would be great. i just started playing straight pool this week and im addicted. also, if there is any other methods or better methods please mention them also. thanks guys, the pen and the notebook is getting old fast.

Irish634
04-11-2007, 08:00 AM
im looking to install some beads in my pool room. i have never actually seen them other than pictues of just the beads on a string. probably a stupid question but how do you install them so they function properly? any pictures you could show me would be great. i just started playing straight pool this week and im addicted. also, if there is any other methods or better methods please mention them also. thanks guys, the pen and the notebook is getting old fast.

Do you have the counters on the foot rail of your table? That's another way to count.

selftaut
04-11-2007, 08:44 AM
The score marker beads are easier to keep score than the counters in the table from my experience , there is a hanging kit made for them , you can hang them away from the table or high up over/next to th table , hanging kit and score markers found here http://www.poolndarts.com/60-Billiards-Accessories/

Njhustler1
04-11-2007, 08:45 AM
If you use the beads, you absolutely must:
1) not use string. use fishing line instead. The beads slide much easier over the plastic line than string fibers.
2) make sure its pulled tight so there's zero slack in the line.

That's pretty much it!

Ant812
04-11-2007, 09:12 AM
sorry guys, the hanging part is the part i dont understand. if i tack each side up they will hang down in an arch. how do you move the beads without them all falling down to the lowest point of the arch.

selftaut
04-11-2007, 09:15 AM
sorry guys, the hanging part is the part i dont understand. if i tack each side up they will hang down in an arch. how do you move the beads without them all falling down to the lowest point of the arch.

They won't hang in an arc , the hanging kit is constructed with adjustable type ends where you can set it up to length you want and attatch the wire on each end and it holds tight. You have to set the wire to the desired length first so that there will be little slack. The kits only come with like 10 ft. wire or something , usually not long enough , hardware store has plenty of cable if not long enough.

JoeW
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM

I use one piece of wire. Buy three eye bolts and two turn buckles from the hardware store. The eyebolts at either end and in the middle serve as a standoff from the ceiling (or whatever) and the turnbuckles allow you to tighten as needed. The wire does not need to go through the center eye bolt. The center eye bolt can be opened up and simply attached to the center bead. That way it is a continuous wire from end to end.

When attaching the wiring to the turnbuckle simply wrap and tie off reasonably tightly. Use the two turnbuckles to adjust the wire as needed.

I learned to set scoring beads like this in the 1950s and have never had it fail.

Foot counters are "OK" but it would not be a "real" table without the beads.

PS, you only need one turnbuckle. Two just make it symetrical.

Ant812
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
thanks guys i understand now. i guess all i have to order is the beads and take a trip to the hardware store. i have plenty off fishing line up to 200 lb test. ill try that out and see how it is and change it if i need. i also have some fishing cable, that would be another option.

selftaut
04-11-2007, 09:40 AM
thanks guys i understand now. i guess all i have to order is the beads and take a trip to the hardware store. i have plenty off fishing line up to 200 lb test. ill try that out and see how it is and change it if i need. i also have some fishing cable, that would be another option.

That will work.

jdr
04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
This is probably a dumb question from a novice, but how do you keep count above 50 using the beads?

selftaut
04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
This is probably a dumb question from a novice, but how do you keep count above 50 using the beads?

There is no such thing as a dumb question when you dont know the answer , when you get to 50 the beads are all pushed back to the other end again and the #1 bead is now #51.

JoeW
04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Here is a picture of half of the string. If you are playing to 200 set a space between the last four beads on the left in the picture and the rest of the beads. These are the counters for each set of 50. Proceed as indicated by selftaut. BTW, I use copper wire. Works best for me and doesn't tarnish -- to date.

Kevin Lindstrom
04-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Typically 2 sets of blacks and 2 sets of white 50's are used to get to 100.
Three sets of 50 to get to 150.
All of the newer sets of beads are only numbered 1-50 and I was unable to find a set of 60-100 so eventually when I get my set I will convert the numbers with paint to get the 60-100

Ant812
04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Here is a picture of half of he string
there we go, thats what i was looking for. next question....how do i train my friends not to hit the ceiling with the tip of their chalked up tips?:eek:

selftaut
04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
there we go, thats what i was looking for. next question....how do i train my friends not to hit the ceiling with the tip of their chalked up tips?:eek:

You set up a bucket , on the bucket you write "A$$hole Bucket" , evry chalk mark on the cieling has to throw $1 in the A$$hole Bucket , can be used for many other things as well , drinking the last beer etc...etc...:)

JoeW
04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Well you could buy 8" eye bolts and give your friends 3' cue sticks or you could keep all beer in the kitchen. OTOH you could get new friends or put rafters on the ceiling (like I did).

You know, I never thought of it before but it would be easy to add a couple of colored beads after the 50 counter for counting to 200 or so. Nothing I know says that you can't add a few extra beads. Hmm have to think about that.

Ant812
04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
You set up a bucket , on the bucket you write "A$$hole Bucket" , evry chalk mark on the cieling has to throw $1 in the A$$hole Bucket , can be used for many other things as well , drinking the last beer etc...etc...:)another good idea, i know where you were when God (:confused: am i allowed to mention his name here?) was handing out brains. i have just the bucket for it too.

Ant812
04-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Well you could buy 8" eye bolts and give your friends 3' cue sticks or you could keep all beer in the kitchen. OTOH you could get new friends or put rafters on the ceiling (like I did).

You know, I never thought of it before but it would be easy to add a couple of colored beads after the 50 counter for counting to 200 or so. Nothing I know says that you can't add a few extra beads. Hmm have to think about that.
i am going to look into getting them as low as possible but the table is in my living room with 8' ceilings so i cant imagine they be more than a few inches from it. those things look pretty big, would 100 fit across the top of an 8' table or would i be hanging them all around the room? if i have to go with 50, i will figure something out to mark 50, 100, etc...

Vahmurka
04-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Ever seen smth like that one? ;) Though I doubt it is suitable for straight pool or any race to over 13.

JoeW
04-11-2007, 11:44 AM
The beads are 1.5" diameter. the beads with tabs are 3" in (or so). The length, with no space is 60" for the tradiational set. When the extra space is added for the turnbuckles and to move the beads around you need about 7 - 8' of space. I think that another five or so beads will be added to my setup to make it easier to count games that go to 250.

I suppose that if they were low enough you could move them with your hand but that just wouldn't seem right to me.

I have not seen the setup described by Vahmurka. However, I have seen wiffle balls used by glofers strung over tables for 9-Ball matches. If I remember right some of the balls were white and some were day-glo orange. Seemed like a cheap seat kinda thing but it also worked well for spectators to easily read the count.

Ant812
04-11-2007, 12:19 PM
thanks joe, ill guess ill put 50 on each side, put a stopper (im thinking a ball cork that is used on boat outriggers with a couple crimps to hold it in place) on followed by 4 or 5 more beads on the end.

corks like these. you can usually buy just the corks for a couple bucks at marine stores.

http://www.meltontackle.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id=13034

JoeW
04-12-2007, 06:38 AM
It just occured to me this morning that the string of counters comes from the factory mounted on a wire. I added the eyebolts, turnbuckles and extra wire for the turnbuckle. I bought my set many years ago so I am not positive and you may want to check before buying a whole lot of stuff. I have played in many pool halls and have never seen more than one string of counters per table.

The rafters in the prior photo are two foot on center so that gives you some idea of the spacing. I guess there is about 25 - 50 # of tension on the wire so I think you will need to hit the ceiling studs with the eyebolts. You could also use a 1/2" plate under the eyebolts with some toggle bolts through the drywall ceiling to support the tension.

Barry Doc
04-12-2007, 07:31 AM
this is all good advise,but forego the copper wire it can really do a number on the ferule(?) or shaft of your cues. stick with fishing line or plastic coated wire(thats what my home room is doing) trust me i learned the hard way!
hope that helps
doc

Ant812
04-12-2007, 07:35 AM
this is all good advise,but forego the copper wire it can really do a number on the ferule(?) or shaft of your cues. stick with fishing line or plastic coated wire(thats what my home room is doing) trust me i learned the hard way!
hope that helps
docgood point, never thought of that. fishing line it is.

BooBoo
04-12-2007, 08:29 AM
The beads were one of the first things I put up when I did my room. The brackets were made by a friend of mine and worked out great.

JoeW
04-12-2007, 09:33 AM
If you look close, it appears that the leg from a Gold Crown is shown at the bottom left. Soooo, he put up the beads first --- now that is a straight pool player:)

Mounting on the wall is cool idea.

Your right Doc, when I looked I had only used copper wire fromthe turnbuckle to the eyebolt, the rest is factory stuff which is not copper. Whatever it is I have used for years with no problem.

selftaut
04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
If you look close, it appears that the leg from a Gold Crown is shown at the bottom left. Soooo, he put up the beads first --- now that is a straight pool player:)

Mounting on the wall is cool idea.

I noticed and thought the same thing.

Booboo , I wish I lived in Mich. , I would bring the beer and pizza , nice room!

Williebetmore
04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
OK, here is the dissenting opinion.

Check out the "Grady Visits Betmore's Basement" thread on the main forum (JCIN posted it). You can see some pictures in the background of the scoring string.

Here are the details. I bought THREE sets of the 50-bead strings from Muellers. They came on string (no wire or tensioners). I painted the tags black and white (3 coats of enamel), then put white and black stick-on decals on the tags (available at any hardware store). The string has 150 beads on each side - which makes it about 10 feet long.

I used brass wire (smooth, one piece, NOT braided).

I initially used a turnbuckle tensioner; then removed it. If the wire is taut, it makes it harder to move the beads without scuffing the ceiling. A slight curve seems to be nicer. Tighten it as much as you can by hand.

I made a wooden over-hang for the beads, so scuffing doesn't really matter.

Good luck.

PALMERJOHN
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I think Joe W. has the best design.

Kevin
04-13-2007, 02:30 AM
On the low ceiling issue, I have seen standoffs, usually made of 3 pieces of 1x2 wood attached from ceiling to proper height above table for easy reach with cue. One for each end, one for the center, notched or drilled to hold the wire. Wish I had a picture, its easier to show than describe.

jondrums
04-13-2007, 08:57 AM
One pool hall I visited has their scoring beads on a small diameter stainless steel rod! They sure slid smoothly and I felt ok about my ferrule doing it. The rod was plenty strong enough so that there was no need for tensioning it. I really liked that setup, the nicest I've ever seen!

Another pool hall I play in every now and then has scoring beads that are encrusted in that gross brown goo that is on ceilings of bars that have a lot of smoking in them... We have to use a house cue for scoring - lol!

TheBook
04-13-2007, 09:15 PM
If you use the beads, you absolutely must:
1) not use string. use fishing line instead. The beads slide much easier over the plastic line than string fibers.
2) make sure its pulled tight so there's zero slack in the line.

That's pretty much it!

I bought a brass rod at a metal suppy. Works even better. I suppose any metal rod will do.

str8poolbanger
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Heh....at least the guy with the GC has his room finished...I didnt even start mine yet...but the table is up...and my ingenious friend decided to make me a set of beads for our straight pool games. Not a bad decsion I might add. Went to a local Michaels store and bought some wooden beads and a thread spool holder for the center.

JoeW
04-19-2007, 12:43 AM
That is a nice looking set of beads. They might be a little easier to use if you used wood stain to dye them tan and black as shown in some of the previous posts.

str8poolbanger
04-19-2007, 04:06 AM
That is a nice looking set of beads. They might be a little easier to use if you used wood stain to dye them tan and black as shown in some of the previous posts.

Yeah we were thinking about that...but then what ever would we do to keep score...:D

TheBook
04-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Another way to keep score would be with a cribbage board. You could also make one to use for pool. Take a board, drill two sets of 25 holes grouped in sets of 5 for easier counting and 2 sets of 6 holes to mark off each group of 25. Using the pegs like in cribbage you can look back and see what the previous run was and also make sure that the proper amount was marked off. Would also prevent chalk marks on a wall and cue damage.

Run the Century
04-19-2007, 02:05 PM
What about an electric scoreboard you hang with a remote. Simple up and down. That would rock!