PDA

View Full Version : 2007 World Straight Pool Qualifiers

PALMERJOHN
04-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Can anybody tell me if Dragon Promotions have announced where and when
they are going to hold their qualifiers for 2007. I'm pretty sure they already
had one in Maryland. There website gives me a dead link under qualifiers???

Williebetmore
04-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Palmer,
I've just heard that Danny Harriman and Jeanette Lee may both be playing in this qualifier. Even though they are both invited to the World tournament (and do NOT need to qualify), they are thinking of playing just because they love the game so much.

I think I may play as well; but WE NEED MORE INFORMATION (all I've heard is early June, Annapolis, Maryland). Need a little help folks.

P.S. - If we don't hear something today; I'll make some calls and post what info I find here tomorrow.

Steve Lipsky
04-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Palmer,
I've just heard that Danny Harriman and Jeanette Lee may both be playing in this qualifier. Even though they are both invited to the World tournament (and do NOT need to qualify), they are thinking of playing just because they love the game so much.

I think I may play as well; but WE NEED MORE INFORMATION (all I've heard is early June, Annapolis, Maryland). Need a little help folks.

P.S. - If we don't hear something today; I'll make some calls and post what info I find here tomorrow.

Ugh, has Dragon made any announcements about eligibility of invited players into qualifiers?

Steve Lipsky
04-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Let me just amend my thoughts here. The Maryland tournament is an existing one (this is the 2nd annual of hopefully many more), with a large prize fund. I think invited players should be eligible to play this tournament. But I hope that the more "pure" qualifiers (i.e., ones without a large prize fund - most of the money just goes to pay for the spot) are specifically for non-invited players only.

- Steve

Gerry
04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Let me just amend my thoughts here. The Maryland tournament is an existing one (this is the 2nd annual of hopefully many more), with a large prize fund. I think invited players should be eligible to play this tournament. But I hope that the more "pure" qualifiers (i.e., ones without a large prize fund - most of the money just goes to pay for the spot) are specifically for non-invited players only.

- Steve

OK, that was diplomatic!:D........so I'm gonna say it....If I go to a qualifyer and get knocked out by someone ALREADY in the main event, I'm going on TILT!

yes I want to see them play, but not like that.

Gerry

Steve Lipsky
04-30-2007, 07:58 PM
OK, that was diplomatic!:D........so I'm gonna say it....If I go to a qualifyer and get knocked out by someone ALREADY in the main event, I'm going on TILT!

yes I want to see them play, but not like that.

Gerry

Gerry, you'll just join a long line of people who have been screwed by an indefensible policy. Oops, did I just say that?? :eek: ;)

Williebetmore
05-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Here is what I know so far.

June 9th and 10th at Bill & Billie's in Arnold, MD.

I have no idea what time, it sounds like round robin play on Saturday with eliminations on Sunday.

I was told that this was an existing tournament with the added bonus to the winner of qualification (and ?paid entry?) into the World Tournament. I think there may be several players in the field who are already in the World Tournament.

Those who think the field should exclude those already in the World Tournament are doing a disservice to the organizers of this tournament. I believe that they are running this tournament out of a love for the game, and a desire to promote straight pool; NOT TO PROVIDE AN EASY SHORTCUT INTO A SEPARATE AND UNRELATED EVENT.

Those that want such a limited event should have contacted Dragon Promotions last year and volunteered to run a restricted event; I bet he would have let you.

Anyway, I and DABABE will both be playing (I'm not afraid to play Danny or Jeanette, bring it on....oops, maybe I've been out in the sun too long) and I hope that many will attend and many will play. I look forward to seeing some AZB'ers in the field and in the audience.

P.S. - a friend is forwarding a poster for the event which I will try to post later in this thread.

Williebetmore
05-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Here is the flier:

Williebetmore
05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
From what I have heard, the tournament organizer/director is a TRUE student of the game, and has a sincere desire to promote straight pool.
Here is the informational letter:

Steve Lipsky
05-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Willie, I hope you saw my prior message. Peter Burrows, the organizer of the Maryland event, is a great guy who does truly love the game. His tournament last year was a wonderful, professional event that all the players and fans appreciated greatly. As I said, and as you said, I consider this to be more of a separate tournament with an added bonus of a qualifier spot. No problems there whatsoever.

My problem is not with an event like this letting in the invited players. There's real money to be won. It is with events like the one in Chicago last year where the express purpose of that tournament was to allow the winner to gain entry into the world championships, yet at least one invited player was allowed to participate.

I don't know if it's just a northeast thing, but when Amsterdam held its qualifier last year, none of the invited players even considered playing. There was no real money to be won and all we would have done was mess up the draw for the truly deserving players. I would consider it statistically improbable that the best non-qualified player would win the spot under such conditions.

- Steve

Bob Jewett
05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Ugh, has Dragon made any announcements about eligibility of invited players into qualifiers?
We have a similar situation in the USBA (3-cushion) Nationals. The top 4 finishers from the previous year get automatic invites, and most of the other positions are filled with qualifiers or people who have played in qualifiers and then done "open" entries. The 4 invited players are specifically excluded from playing in the qualifiers.

BigCat
05-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Anyone ever notice how none of the qualifiers are on the west coast? There is a lot of talent in the rest of the U.S. as well, yet Dragon Promotions only holds qualifiers on the east coast. Does this seem correct for a "14.1 World Championship" qualifier system? What about outside North America?

PALMERJOHN
05-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Hey BigCat,
That's a good point. I have wondered what was up with the west coast.
I know there must be talent there. Where are the events and the players ?

JoeW
05-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the fliers Willie -- see you all there.

Figured I better update my avatar to reflect what I look like now -- old and ugly. Most of you guys don't post photos so you may know me but I won't know you !

Dan White
05-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the fliers Willie -- see you all there.

Figured I better update my avatar to reflect what I look like now -- old and ugly. Most of you guys don't post photos so you may know me but I won't know you !

It's funny because I had a mental image of you based on your original avatar. Now you seem like an imposter taking over JoeW's computer! :eek:

I think you actually look better in the newer photo.

dwhite

Jimmy M.
05-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Anyone ever notice how none of the qualifiers are on the west coast? There is a lot of talent in the rest of the U.S. as well, yet Dragon Promotions only holds qualifiers on the east coast. Does this seem correct for a "14.1 World Championship" qualifier system? What about outside North America?

I was thinking the same thing. Is there anything that can be done to get some qualifiers out here on the Western half of the country? I'd be willing to offer my assistance in putting 1 or more of them together (provided I could still play) if it would get some qualifiers over here so some of us could have a crack at it. Admittedly, there aren't a ton of straight-pool players over here, but there are enough and for a "World Championship", especially one hosted in the U.S., to only hold qualifiers in select parts of the country doesn't really seem quite right.

I wonder if it's going to be played on the Gabriels again. I just bought one (in fact, it might have even been used in the 2006 14.1 World Championship since it is tournament used), although I won't have it until next weekend some time. :)

poolmouse
05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
i would buy tickets but i wonder if there's a chance the location may be changed? if so i don't want to get stuck with unusable vip tickets. the paypal page doesn't outline venue.

poolmouse