PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 14.1 nation league idea

duckie
04-27-2007, 07:42 AM
I saw this banner on AZ yesterday http://www.14and1.com. Sounds interesting. I was wondering what others thought.

Bob Jewett
04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I saw this banner on AZ yesterday http://www.14and1.com. Sounds interesting. I was wondering what others thought.
The previous discussion was here:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=59133

In my view, the main problem is that the method of adjusting ratings is entirely broken.

selftaut
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Bob , the issue you had brought up about someone waiting to shoot the game ball and essentially creating sandbagging was visited, and a measure put in place to remedy that, by doubling the bonus points I had originally in place, as it is now a player could do what you suggested as sandbagging the entire league through and have no chance of winning the league because this player could not gain bonus points.

Steve Lipsky
04-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Bob , the issue you had brought up about someone waiting to shoot the game ball and essentially creating sandbagging was visited, and a measure put in place to remedy that, by doubling the bonus points I had originally in place, as it is now a player could do what you suggested as sandbagging the entire league through and have no chance of winning the league because this player could not gain bonus points.

Kevin,

Is there any way you'd consider using a relative system for the bonus points, rather than an absolute one? I know we've discussed this before, but your system as I understand it basically makes it impossible for lower-ranked players to get bonus points, especially when playing each other. It won't be long before the lower-ranked players figure out they have no chance of making it to the playoffs because of their inability to score these extra points.

- Steve

selftaut
04-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Kevin,

Is there any way you'd consider using a relative system for the bonus points, rather than an absolute one? I know we've discussed this before, but your system as I understand it basically makes it impossible for lower-ranked players to get bonus points, especially when playing each other. It won't be long before the lower-ranked players figure out they have no chance of making it to the playoffs because of their inability to score these extra points.

- Steve

Steve , thank you for your thoughts once again.

#1) I absolutely would consider any change if it bettered the system , your point is a valid one on the issue you brought up here , but I am not totally convinced that the lower handicaps can't gain the bonus points , for example if an A player is playing a C player then the race is to 125 points with the A player giving up 85 balls on the wire , with the C player only needing to pocket 40 balls to get to 125, I am not convinced the C player can't beat the A player (at times) lets say 125 to 112 and gaining bonus points. And lets say two C+ players were matched up , the race is to 50 even up , I again am not convinced that these matches at times can't be won by 10 balls or more also gaining bonus points. I can see a problem probably with the D player at 20 and if 2 D players were matched up , but the D player is most likely a total entry level pool player and maybe will have to improve from D level to really have a chance, that I can agree on but it does give them a place to start and compete, but if it turns out that you are correct on all lower handicaps then it will be changed in a heartbeat, and your suggestion of a relative system will be implemented.

#2) There are several leagues right now being started all across the USA under the system at present, so it would be probably a nightmare to try and change it right now until we have a session under our belt, but a close eye will be on it.

Thanks much
Kev