PDA

View Full Version : Opening Break Shot

kennyratt
05-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Can someone explain in detail, playing a ball off of a full rack of balls? Or a source to learn this shot.Thank you! Regards, Kennyratt

selftaut
05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
A bit confused here , your title says opening break shot , which is a safety most the time , are you talking about making a ball out of the full rack?

Anyway , on the opening break 2 balls and the cue ball have to hit a rail , so you place the cue ball about 3 or 4 inches from the spot and thin the corner ball with outside english, this will send that corner ball to the back rail and hopefully back into the rack somewhere near where it was , and the second ball to go to a rail on that shot will be the other corner ball will go to the side rail and hopefully back to the rack , and also on this shot the cue ball should go back up table close to the rail leaving long and nothing to shoot at.

3andstop
05-05-2007, 03:33 PM
LOL, or in the other scenario, to play an object ball off the rack into a corner pocket, to increase your chances of pulling this off, you would want the OB to have a slighter rather than steeper angle into the rack. More a sliding, glancing hit to the rack than a 80 degree angle into it. (maybe 35 or 40 degree is nice)

Conversly, you would like to have a fuller hit from the CB to the OB while still sending the OB into the rack at that lesser angle.

With a fuller CB to OB hit you would want to apply draw to the CB which woud induce follow on the OB. The follow english on the OB together with a smoother less abrupt angle to the pack will keep the OB fighting to stay on the rack as it travels toward the pocket. Try to aim at the meat of the rack and hitting a ball on the tangent line to the pocket.

Next you will need 3 rabbits feet, a box of salt to throw over your shoulder, a death wish, and you're good to go. :)

CreeDo
05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I find that when I try to do the standard opening break (cue ball about halfway between the spot and the rail) the corner ball 'wants' to bank towards the pocket nearest me. The outside english helps throw it a little back towards the rack so that but very often (maybe due to dirty equipment) it doesn't go back towards the rack no matter how much spin I put on it, it sorta sells out and ends up banking in a straight line back towards me, leaving the opponent at least 1 ugly shot.

Anyway I guess if you wanted to gamble on making a ball, you could bank that corner ball. You can also put the cueball as far as possible to the side, near the rail, and then hit the top ball of the rack square. As with the 9-ball break, this will sometimes pocket the top ball in the side pocket.

kennyratt
05-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry Guys, I mistitled the thread. On a intermediate whole rack; object ball 6" on either side of the rack. Play the object ball off of the 14 ball rack, into the corner.Saw this shot on the twightlight zone episode and some where else but can't recall where. Also, which ball to play the object ball off of? Thanks, Kennyratt

selftaut
05-05-2007, 04:56 PM
3andstop figured out what you meant :) ..its just a carom shot like any other carom shot , you have to pick one of the balls to carom off of and calculate where the "dead kiss" is , I like to use the corner ball because I can see more of the ball to calculate the carom.

CreeDo
05-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I gotcha now... it's pretty tough to do, I personally would be scared to death of it. One shot that's usually suicidal but not nearly as tough is to leave yourself with a hanger for the break ball, but then instead of trying to sink it and hit the rack, you hit the rack and try to carom into it like you wanted to scratch. If you're precise you can hit one side of the hanger or the other, but usually the cueball just follows it in :P

1str8shooter
05-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I've never seen that one before, but a guy banked the corner ball on the opening break on me the other day.

selftaut
05-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I've never seen that one before, but a guy banked the corner ball on the opening break on me the other day.

You won't see it very often as it is very low percentage, probably about the same percentage as banking the corner ball on the break.

CreeDo
05-06-2007, 12:27 AM

You won't see it very often as it is very low percentage, probably about the same percentage as banking the corner ball on the break

The odds of doing either of those are slim, about as likely as banking in the corner ball when you break.

Dan White
05-06-2007, 07:42 AM
I found a website a long time ago that had some unusual break shots detailed. I can't find the website anymore. Here was a shot that is actually makeable more than you'd think. I still wouldn't set up for it as a standard back of the rack break works just fine, but here it is:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ABLS4BCYB3CCpA4DCYe4EFCe3FCxe4GBKP3HAMB3IAUe3JF bd4KDnP3LBjP3MEMO4NBJl3OBal4PBML4UBLS4UAlt4UBCs4Uc hs4kBML4kBck@

You have to contact the crack between the 9 and the 4, but slightly more to the 9 so that you hit it first. I think you might have to put follow or draw on the cue ball depending on the exact situation, which I don't remember. I set this one up a few times and was surprised how close it went. If you hit the 4 first, though, the cue ball goes in the wrong direction! Doh! It's a fun shot to know if you're just foolin' around.

dwhite

CreeDo
05-06-2007, 08:53 AM
The site you were thinking of might be this one:
http://www.jimloy.com/billiard/break.htm

http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/cornerbank.jpg

Here's one of those weird corner banks in action, leski vs. mizerak at the the Cleveland Open - Leski tried an unlikely break shot, missed the rack and left himself underneath it. Steve was playing pretty well and had dumped a 130+ point lead on leski. So leski decided to go for it. He smacked the far right corner ball (the 15) with middle right english, about as full as possible and a medium firm (not hard) speed. The 15 banked cross side.

I think I'll play for that leave the next time I screw up and leave the wrong angle on my break ball and I'll be heading for the rail.

Dan White
05-06-2007, 09:21 AM
The site you were thinking of might be this one:
http://www.jimloy.com/billiard/break.htm

http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/cornerbank.jpg

Here's one of those weird corner banks in action, leski vs. mizerak at the the Cleveland Open - Leski tried an unlikely break shot, missed the rack and left himself underneath it. Steve was playing pretty well and had dumped a 130+ point lead on leski. So leski decided to go for it. He smacked the far right corner ball (the 15) with middle right english, about as full as possible and a medium firm (not hard) speed. The 15 banked cross side.

I think I'll play for that leave the next time I screw up and leave the wrong angle on my break ball and I'll be heading for the rail.

Yes, that's the site. Thanks. The shot you show actually isn't that hard if you know the table. I shoot it with the cue ball a little closer to the bottom row (thinner hit on the 15) and use hold up english to keep the 15 from missing the side long. It just depends on where the cue ball is. Maybe I make it 50% of the time at best.

dwhite

aeoliner
05-06-2007, 02:11 PM
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AALW4BCYB3CCpA4DCYe4EFCe3FCxe4GBKP3HAMB3IAUe3JF bd4KDnP3LBjP3MEMO4NBJl3OBal1PHNV4YFCe4YFUj4YFKpzb3 eFbd3ebpc3eGIdzb1kHNV4kHOY4kRUi4kbps2kaYh2kGjj3uCd K@
here is the intial break

CreeDo
05-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I tried it today for the first time (the bank from the full rack) and got it on my first try... it's not bad.

I've seen a few people link to cuetable.com, but I can't seem to get the shockwave plugin to install in firefox even though I went out of my way to allow it, and also installed the latest version. They should switch to flash. Anyway is it neat?