PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous Spots!!!!!

Barboxlegend21
05-08-2007, 09:48 PM
This should be fun:) this thread is open discussion for the most ridiculous/unbelievable/unthinkable/hilarious/ handicaps(spots) in the wonderful world of pocket billiard gambling..

Efren Reyes spot Amarillo Slim 15/14 to 5:eek: And got there..

Cliff Joyner spot a Houston short-stop(can't say his name) 12 to 4:eek: And got there.

Jack Hines spot Roger Griffis the 7 and the last two:eek: And tortured him.

CRAZY SPOTS POST HERE.................:D

MikeJanis
05-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Cliff gave me 12-4 then 12-3 and the breaks and I still couldn't beat him. After a little while at 100 per game I unscrewed my stick, payed him and then thanked him for the exhibition.

PS.. I have not played 1-Pocket since then and probably wont for a long time to come.

Mj

Barboxlegend21
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Cliff gave me 12-4 then 12-3 and the breaks and I still couldn't beat him. After a little while at 100 per game I unscrewed my stick, payed him and then thanked him for the exhibition.

PS.. I have not played 1-Pocket since then and probably wont for a long time to come.

Mj

Awwwwwwwwwwwww Man!..Don't give up!..Always remember,this pool journey is won by the tortoise..not the hare..and besides we have'nt played yet!..LMAO:D

MikeJanis
05-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww Man!..Don't give up!..Always remember,this pool journey is won by the tortoise..not the hare..and besides we have'nt played yet!..LMAO:D

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of that. So when can we match up and can I get a spot like the one Cliff gave me ?

Russ Chewning
05-08-2007, 10:28 PM
The biggest spot I ever gave out wasn't for money.

It was the first time I played my girlfriend (current wife) pool. I absolutely refused to ever take it the slightest bit easy on anyone, including her. We started playing even 8 ball, but I kept running out every game. Then I offered to bank the 8. I kept running out. I offered to play the 8 in whichever pocket my last ball went in. I kept running out.

I offered to play one handed, even up. I kept running out. I then played one handed, bank the 8. I kept running out a large percentage of the time.

An even game was finally reached when I adjusted to playing one handed, banking the 8 ball wherever my last ball went. This gave her about 4 innings, which was enough for her to win a few games.

I used to think outrageous spots you heard guys like Eddie Taylor, Eufala Kid, Marshall Carpenter giving out were just made up.

The fact I could give my girlfriend those spots and still keep running out taught me an important lesson: You can play like God when you know your opponent has no chance. It allows you to play your TRUE speed, unaffected by nerves.

Russ

Hail Mary Shot
05-09-2007, 01:09 AM

Mj

Man, that must be one hell of a beating. considering that you developed a phobia. I know it takes a while to lick your own wounds. however, would Cliff agree to play you 15-1?

Franky
05-09-2007, 02:29 AM
I'd love someone to spot me 15-3 and beat me (for fun). I'd suck up 1-pocket knowledge like a sponge!. The 100 per rack though sucks, I feel for ya. Hopefully you learned a couple things and will pick it up again soon.

crawfish
05-09-2007, 06:01 AM
I have seen Cliff give Cowboy, from Asheville, the 3,5,7, and the break on the barbox and win an ahead set. I give a few of the local guys who don't ever run five balls the same. You have to play perfect and get a little lucky. Never, never would I give it unless it was cheap. Toooo much pressure. Fun, though. I also played a fellow in Morehead City with a broom for fifty a game. It's actually not that tough on a bar table. You just don't want to be straight in.

Varney Cues
05-09-2007, 06:15 AM
I have seen Cliff give Cowboy, from Asheville

Action from Haywood Rd. in Buncombe county.:D
Ever meet Keith Morgan aka "Coach" in there? He was an ex NFL player that liked to match up.;) I know he was playing Cowboy some.

crawfish
05-09-2007, 06:45 AM
Action from Haywood Rd. in Buncombe county.:D
Ever meet Keith Morgan aka "Coach" in there? He was an ex NFL player that liked to match up.;) I know he was playing Cowboy some.Yes, I sure have. What's that character been up to? We actually went over into Tennessee together. I became quite good friends with him. Tell him the bald guy Keith Crawfish said "hello." I played with the guy when I was first starting to be able to run out.

scottycoyote
05-09-2007, 06:49 AM
I have seen Cliff give Cowboy, from Asheville, the 3,5,7, and the break on the barbox and win an ahead set. I give a few of the local guys who don't ever run five balls the same. You have to play perfect and get a little lucky. Never, never would I give it unless it was cheap. Toooo much pressure. Fun, though. I also played a fellow in Morehead City with a broom for fifty a game. It's actually not that tough on a bar table. You just don't want to be straight in.

i gave a local the last 3 and 3games on the wire race to 7 and beat him about 3 sets b4 he quit me. It was tough, i pretty much couldnt make a mistake, you learn alot givin out spots like that. He wasnt very happy needless to say

Barboxlegend21
05-09-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm glad you got a good laugh out of that. So when can we match up and can I get a spot like the one Cliff gave me ?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Negative!

crawfish
05-09-2007, 07:06 AM
i gave a local the last 3 and 3games on the wire race to 7 and beat him about 3 sets b4 he quit me. It was tough, i pretty much couldnt make a mistake, you learn alot givin out spots like that. He wasnt very happy needless to sayI truly believe that some people are beat before they start. They just like to be in action. They will find a way to lose. I do agree that to be a better player, you have to give up the weight and get used to it. I honestly would rather give it up to the lesser player than get it from a champion. The lesser player knows why he's getting the spot. And.... The champion knows why he's giving it.

CreeDo
05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Maybe the 3-and-out in 9 ball is not as bad as it sounds. Those guys who run racks on TV pretty much always seem to run out from either the 1 or the 2, depending on how the break went. It's pretty rare to see them give away 6-ball-runs to each other, or to sell out in the middle of the rack once they're in line.

Of course that's the guys on TV :D

But for example, the last 9 ball video I watched was efren reyes vs. dennis orcollo. It went 10-6 efren. Efren never once gave his opponent a look at a ball past the 2. He either got out or safed before the rack got that far. So efren could have given orcollo the 3-and-out and it wouldn't have made a difference, even though orcollo is a very strong player and efren logically should never give him a big spot. Orcollo failed to get out after the 1 & 2 were pocketed only twice (both times he gave efren a look at the 3 ball). So if in theory orcollo gave efren the same spot, again the results would have been the same.

I guess the 3-and-out is a great spot though for regular guys who usually fall apart after running 6 or so.

Firecracker
05-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Gary Aboud (?) was drunk one night about 4 years or so back and wanted to gamble, so we went to a 24 hour pool room. He gave me the 2-out and the breaks for $20 a set, race to 5. I was up a quite a few sets and he wants to adjust...balls on the break don't count was the only adjustment he wanted to make. I was so tired by the end of it, that I let him buy out for 100, when I was up a couple. I have never seen anyone play as well as he did drunk, it was fun to watch.

Slider
05-09-2007, 08:11 AM
But for example, the last 9 ball video I watched was efren reyes vs. dennis orcollo. It went 10-6 efren. Efren never once gave his opponent a look at a ball past the 2. He either got out or safed before the rack got that far. So efren could have given orcollo the 3-and-out and it wouldn't have made a difference, even though orcollo is a very strong player and efren logically should never give him a big spot. Orcollo failed to get out after the 1 & 2 were pocketed only twice (both times he gave efren a look at the 3 ball). So if in theory orcollo gave efren the same spot, again the results would have been the same.

True, but I suspect that there would be a big psychological difference when you go into the match knowing that you're giving up that spot.

Ken

CreeDo
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
yeah, I don't know if I could play as well knowing that missing a certain 'easy' bank would lose for me. I'd prolly play a lot safer.