PDA

View Full Version : UK pool equipment specs

Vahmurka
05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Search seems to be temporarily broken here, and when searching the Net I failed. I could find nothing but the rules of the game which I don't need now. What I want to know is balls diameter, table and pocket size (to compare them to traditional pool later). I've watched last year's UK 8-Ball World Champs (Appleton vs Selby) but couldn't guess anything except table size (it's smaller that 9 ft). Balls seemed to be the same like ordinary pool balls though my mates claim they are smaller.
I would like to have a link to reliable source with such info.

worriedbeef
05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
nothing too precise but hope i can help. balls are a touch smaller than snooker balls (hoping you know these otherwise my reference is useless), and tables are 5ft/6ft/7ft. pockets are about a ball and a half width, corners and sides rounded not cut straight.

99% of the time a green cloth is used, there's a headstring, oh and the cue ball is slightly smaller than the object balls. i assume this is to seperate it in the ball return. although in my experience shooting off the rail is a pain in the ass!

Vahmurka
05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
balls are a touch smaller than snooker ballsSmaller than snooker ones? :eek: Are you sure? They are small enough. It should be called pea pool then or smth similar :D
Well, if you mention 5-6 ft and cueball return I think you are talking about bar tables. I would like to learn about 'official' where they compete. Just like at the tourney I mentioned. The balls definitely were far bigger than on snooker table.
P.S. I could see the rounded pocket corners clear enough at the tape I was talking about ;)

Dave Mackay
05-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Smaller than snooker ones? :eek: Are you sure? They are small enough. It should be called pea pool then or smth similar :D
Well, if you mention 5-6 ft and cueball return I think you are talking about bar tables. I would like to learn about 'official' where they compete. Just like at the tourney I mentioned. The balls definitely were far bigger than on snooker table.
P.S. I could see the rounded pocket corners clear enough at the tape I was talking about ;)

For the event you are reffering to the tables are 8ft and yes the balls are def smaller than snooker balls...........i might be seeing Dynamite (Appleton) tomorrow so i will get him to refresh my memory of the ball size used for them.

For the most part of the competitions the tables used are the 7 foot tables with 2" object balls and a 1 7/8" white......the smaller white really does change the game and the way you think about shots as it reacts differently.

worriedbeef
05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Smaller than snooker ones? :eek: Are you sure? They are small enough. It should be called pea pool then or smth similar :D

that's the reason i personally don't like english pool, too small and piddly. it's out of scale with the human body! i've never played on a seven foot table before mind, never mind an eight.

Vahmurka
05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
For the event you are reffering to the tables are 8ft and yes the balls are def smaller than snooker balls...........i might be seeing Dynamite (Appleton) tomorrow so i will get him to refresh my memory of the ball size used for them.Wow! I played snooker last week and can not imagine a billiard ball smaller than that. Will be looking forward to Darren's word.
Still no link to official specifications? May be some British residents could ask in their local forums? I emailed Big Dave but seems like my message was considered spam.

Scaramouche
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Here is a link to a British outfit

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Snooker_Balls_15.html

Third set down
Aramith balls come in such sizes as

57 mm aka 2 1/4 inches
54 mm aka 2 1/8 inches
52.4 mm aka 2 1/16 inches
51 mm aka 2 inches
47.5 mm aka 1 7/8 inches
44 mm aka 1 3/4 inches
41 mm aka a 1 5/8 inches
37.5 mm aka 1 1/2 inches
35 mm aks 1 3/8 inches

Dave Mackay
05-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Wow! I played snooker last week and can not imagine a billiard ball smaller than that. Will be looking forward to Darren's word.
Still no link to official specifications? May be some British residents could ask in their local forums? I emailed Big Dave but seems like my message was considered spam.

Unfortunately Daz has already gone to the states for the 10ball, but i spoke to another player and they said its a 2" ball set normal with a 1 7/8" white, he thinks the 8ft tables might use a 2 1/16" ball set but he says they are very similar

Its like the reverse of Dave Matlocks speciality he liked the mud ball and the Uk use a small white.

Vahmurka
05-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Here is a link to a British outfit
http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Snooker_Balls_15.htmlThanks, but no pool balls sets there? Though I understand what you meant - that 2 1/16 is less diameter than 2 1/4 :) Which means UK pool balls are smaller than snooker.

Unfortunately Daz has already gone to the states for the 10ball, but i spoke to another player and they said its a 2" ball set normal with a 1 7/8" white, he thinks the 8ft tables might use a 2 1/16" ball set but he says they are very similarIt definitely didn't look that small on the video. I will watch it again. Dave, could be great if you ask Darren nevertheless and post it here. Or probably Mark Selby is easier to find now? ;)

Scaramouche
05-13-2007, 01:40 PM
The pool balls:D

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/acatalog/Pool_Balls.html

Vahmurka
05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
The pool balls:D
http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/acatalog/Pool_Balls.htmlAha, now it's obvious that English pool ball (set of yellows and reds) is less than normal pool ball (51 mm vs 57, 2" vs 2 1/4), and is a bit smaller than snooker ball (52.4 mm, 2 1/16)