PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Ipods?

1on1pooltournys
05-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I recently got an Ipod and was wondering on what players think about practacing and/or playing with them? I've found they are excellent for blocking out any distractions while in an important pool session. However, I've also found that it sometimes distracts me a bit, depending on the song, usually if i know the lyrics or not. It's definitely more intense than say listening to a loud juke box while playing. Anyhow, just looking for an opinion from somebody who has been playing while listening to an ipod for awhile. Does it help you focus or not? Thanks

Jude Rosenstock
05-10-2007, 12:15 AM
I recently got an Ipod and was wondering on what players think about practacing and/or playing with them? I've found they are excellent for blocking out any distractions while in an important pool session. However, I've also found that it sometimes distracts me a bit, depending on the song, usually if i know the lyrics or not. It's definitely more intense than say listening to a loud juke box while playing. Anyhow, just looking for an opinion from somebody who has been playing while listening to an ipod for awhile. Does it help you focus or not? Thanks

Personally, I don't play better or worse with an iPod. I tried and was mildly disappointed to see my regular game. However, I do think it's arguably problematic if you become accustomed to it. Distractions are part of pool and learning to perform with those distractions will only make you better.

Slider
05-10-2007, 12:23 AM
You might start to see them being prohibited. Search the forum on "ipod" for a fairly recent thread with proposed revisions to WPA or maybe BCA rules.

Ken

Big C
05-10-2007, 12:29 AM
If you want to block out distractions, why not wear ear plugs and a blind fold?
It might not help your pool game, and I can't imagine an ipod will either. But why care what other people think? Do it if it makes you happy.

Gerry
05-10-2007, 04:07 AM
if you are playing alone I see no problems, but if it's a match I kind of see it as disrespect to the other guy. It might be good for reminding you about what you are working on. Maybe make a looping track with a hynotic type of trance enducing suggestions to pu you in dead pop.

Gerry

Da Poet
05-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Can you imagine a room full of 20 or so players in a tournament all with Ipods on?

That sounds like a real blast. :rolleyes:

Practicing, if you're enjoying youself, who cares? I don't because I would never wear one at a match or tournament so why practice in a different environment? That's just me though.

catscradle
05-10-2007, 04:16 AM

I find it doesn't effect me one way or another. Generally I don't take it out in a pool room because the combination of the Ipod with a totally different music blaring on the jukebox is distracting. Also I don't wear it when playing somebody else because I think it is rude and disrespectful to the other player. I use it when practicing at home and will listen to anything from rock to classical to audio books with no detrimental effect on my practice.

pete lafond
05-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Personally, I don't play better or worse with an iPod. I tried and was mildly disappointed to see my regular game. However, I do think it's arguably problematic if you become accustomed to it. Distractions are part of pool and learning to perform with those distractions will only make you better.

Well said...

Icon of Sin
05-10-2007, 04:47 AM
I practice a lot with my Ipod on. I cant stand those in ear head phones though. I bought some nice Sony over ear head phones for mine.

But yeah, I practice at least once a week with my ipod on. Every Sunday I shoot at the pool hall instead of at home before league starts and I throw the ipod on a shoot for about 4 hours by myself.

I dont feel I shoot better or worse with it. It's good for blocking things out though, like bangers a few tables over, or the little kid that comes to the pool hall with his mother who just sits there and watches the little bastard play radcks of 8ball over and over and it takes the kid 20 mins per rack and he doesnt even hodl the cue right and just pokes at the balls....

yeah it helps to block that out....

Normally though, if Im playing someone else (money, league, tournament, fun, etc) I take the ipod off. It's just a little more respectable. That way you dont look like an ass when your opponent says good shot but you seem to ignore him because you couldnt hear him. Plus some people like to talk when they shoot. Notice I said normally, if you start getting on my nerves, the ipod goes back on.

Fatboy
05-10-2007, 05:10 AM
it would drive me mad, i cant stand the things they give me a headache, i wouldnt care if the guy i was playing was wearing one as long as I was winning.

8-ball Rat
05-10-2007, 05:29 AM
While hitting 'em around by myself.....absolutely. LOVE that thing....and half the time, I hate the music coming out of the poolroom jukebox, anyway.

While playing against somebody...ALMOST never. I think it's kinda rude. Then again, I'm a social player, and enjoy the conversation with my opponent IN BETWEEN shots. If the guy I'm playing starts yapping at me while I'm in the middle of a shot...the Ipod comes back out.

PROG8R
05-10-2007, 06:03 AM
I hate playing in DEAD SILENCE, so I will go get mine instead of pumping .50 cent to a dollar per song in the juke box.

Black-Balled
05-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Can you imagine a room full of 20 or so players in a tournament all with Ipods on?

That sounds like a real blast. :rolleyes:

Practicing, if you're enjoying youself, who cares? I don't because I would never wear one at a match or tournament so why practice in a different environment? That's just me though.

I played a guy who was using one in a tourney last weekend. I felt like I was not able to communicate...that said, what makes me think I have the right to communicate?

Black-Balled
05-10-2007, 06:25 AM
.... i wouldnt care if the guy i was playing was wearing one as long as I was winning.

Amen, Brother! That is what I should have said!

1on1pooltournys
05-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the input, after two days of practacing with it i can see what everybody is talking about. I recently played a 2,000 dollar set and the guy hit a gear like Johnny Archer on me and it happened after about the first couple of games and he threw his Ipod on, not due to being sharked or anything, and the next thing i know the set was over. So, I thought i'd give it a try, although i haven't got to play any kind of big gambling set with it yet. So, we will see what happens. Thanks again guys.

Luxury
05-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I recently played a guy that said his mother got out faster than me. This was when I was on the hill about to skunk him 5-0 which I did.

He had made a bunch of other shark comments like "I bet he misses this one."

Unbelievable if you asked me.

But what if I pulled out an ipod and put it on right after one of his comments? That might send a message and I didn't shark myself by starting an arguement with him.