PDA

View Full Version : Who Is "Big O"

!Smorgass Bored
05-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Who is Big O ?
I know it's not Oscar Robertson. Buddy Hall is in the room practicing on the Diamond table and a player the same size and age (approx.) came in and said to just call him "Big O"...
Anyone have a clue ?
Doug (pool detective)

Edited to add: brownish hair, balding, hair comes to a point (widow's peak), built Exactly like Buddy and smokes a cigar.

Pushout
05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Think there is a black guy up this way with that nickname, but he'd be much younger than Buddy.

Russ Chewning
05-10-2007, 04:09 PM
I da know, but I think he has a lot of girlfriends. A lot of ladies are always looking for him. :D :D :D

Russ

Jimmy M.
05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I guess it isn't Oliver Miller either. ;)

!Smorgass Bored
05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
I guess it isn't Oliver Miller either. ;)

Great, we only have a few Billion more people to rule OUT...
Doug :)

Terry Ardeno
05-11-2007, 04:59 AM
Who is Big O ?
I know it's not Oscar Robertson. Buddy Hall is in the room practicing on the Diamond table and a player the same size and age (approx.) came in and said to just call him "Big O"...
Anyone have a clue ?
Doug (pool detective)

Edited to add: brownish hair, balding, hair comes to a point (widow's peak), built Exactly like Buddy and smokes a cigar.

Smorgie,

I just looked at this thread this morning. If I had to venture a guess, I'de say Bob Ogburn, a taller man of "some repute" on the senior circuit, who, by the way, is friends with Buddy Hall.
If you saw the guy described above, maybe you can recognize him again. There is a clip of him on Pro Pool Video...
http://propoolvideo.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/limit,15/limitstart,15/

Hope this helps

gulfportdoc
05-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Buddy Hall is in the room practicing on the Diamond table ...
Doug, what is Buddy doing in Tampa? Is he in the area for the FL tour?

Doc

!Smorgass Bored
05-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Smorgie,

I just looked at this thread this morning. If I had to venture a guess, I'de say Bob Ogburn, a taller man of "some repute" on the senior circuit, who, by the way, is friends with Buddy Hall.
If you saw the guy described above, maybe you can recognize him again. There is a clip of him on Pro Pool Video...
http://propoolvideo.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/limit,15/limitstart,15/

Hope this helps

Terry,
I didn't see this player in person, I had a call asking me if I could identify him and I said that I'd ask online. I know Bob Ogburn and the description didn't fit him. The "Big O" in question was big and heavy and shaped like a pear. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Bob though. Thanks for the link to the pool match.

Doc,
I think Buddy IS in town for the upcoming Florida Pro Tour stop at Capone's.

JAM
05-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Terry,
I didn't see this player in person, I had a call asking me if I could identify him and I said that I'd ask online. I know Bob Ogburn and the description didn't fit him. The "Big O" in question was big and heavy and shaped like a pear. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Bob though. Thanks for the link to the pool match.

Doc,
I think Buddy IS in town for the upcoming Florida Pro Tour stop at Capone's.

Last time I saw Bob Ogburn, he was still tall and not heavyset at all. I'd post a picture up of him, but because of a lame comment about a picture I posted of a pool player a short time ago, I am today trying to exercise caution when posting pictures of players who may desire to fly under the radar. :p

Hmm, "shaped like a pear" reminds me of the thread on the other forum pertaining to Big Goose [not to be confused with Geese]:

Excerpt from The Snap: With fellow players from Kansas City, he went to the famous tournaments of the decade. Events like The Stardust Open in Las Vegas and The World All-Around Championships in Johnston City, Illinois, became his training ground in the following years.

Benny remembers it was his first trip to Johnston City when he got the nickname he was to make famous. One of his best friends, a player named Al George, told promoter George Jansco to announce Benny as "The Pear," an affectionate nickname the Kansas City players had given him because of his unusual shape, but when George got ready to announce the players, he had forgotten the nickname. He guessed, and to the surprise of all, Benny "The Goose" Conway came out. When later asked about his choice, George said, "Well, he reminds me of a big goose."

JAM

JAM
05-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Doc, I think Buddy IS in town for the upcoming Florida Pro Tour stop at Capone's.

I feel kind of lame asking this, but will there be any more senior tournaments down Florida way? As soon as Keith turns legal age to play in one, they cease to exist. :D

JAM

!Smorgass Bored
05-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Last time I saw Bob Ogburn, he was still tall and not heavyset at all. I'd post a picture up of him, but because of a lame comment about a picture I posted of a pool player a short time ago, I am today trying to exercise caution when posting pictures of players who may desire to fly under the radar. :p

Hmm, "shaped like a pear" reminds me of the thread on the other forum pertaining to Big Goose [not to be confused with Geese]:
JAM

I thought about the Goose when the Big O was described as pear shaped and smoking a cigar, but he (Goose) doesn't have brown hair and mostly bald and he may still have his moustache ( I've had mine since '75 )....
Doug
( there have been some really good pictures of players put up this morning on onepocket.org by Captain Hook )

crawfish
05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
I had the big "O" last night. Does that count?

pbat2751
05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
I had the big "O" last night. Does that count?

Since you were alone.... No!:eek:

Keep both hands on the keyboard at all times.

ribdoner
05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
OPRAH....from what I hear forgot more moves than most will know when it comes to one hole

!Smorgass Bored
05-11-2007, 11:12 AM
OPRAH....from what I hear forgot more moves than most will know
when it comes to one hole

Which one ?
Doug

crawfish
05-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Since you were alone.... No!:eek:

Keep both hands on the keyboard at all times. My girl will be ticked off if it doesn't count. All that work for nothing!

MrLucky
05-11-2007, 12:35 PM
OPRAH....from what I hear forgot more moves than most will know when it comes to one hole

:eek: OOPS!!! Actually i just opened this thread for some new stroke techniques ! :confused:

Russ Chewning
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
In mah country we make the sexy time with the big rich woman...

Poor skinny woman, not so much...

Oprah.. NIIIIIIICCCE!

Russ

jungledude
05-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Sounds like Olinski, a guy who hangs out at the pool hall in Mobile, he owns a gentlemen's club and invented an energy drink, goes by the name Big O and is shaped just like Buddy but abount 6 or so years younger.

!Smorgass Bored
05-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Sounds like Olinski, a guy who hangs out at the pool hall in Mobile, he owns a gentlemen's club and invented an energy drink, goes by the name Big O and is shaped just like Buddy but abount 6 or so years younger.

I just this second got off the phone with Buddy while he's practicing at Planet 9-Ball. Even though this fellow talked and acted like a player and practiced on the Diamond table with Buddy, Buddy didn't know him. Big O played in last night's weekly 9 Ball tournament and went 2'n Out. He was illuminated by P-9-Ball's cue repairman Pete S.
Hump, you, Casey and Joey A. met my friend Pete at Grady's Senior's tournament in Naples,FL. and we all went to the Chinese Buffet for dinner....remember

Buddy's in town to relax and play in some local tournaments. Tomorrow he will be playing at Hammerhead's, where Corey Deuel is now the House Pro.
He will also be at Capones for the Florida Tour stop.
Doug
( well King, I guess we can call this case CLOSED......'Sergeant Preston of The Yukon' )

ribdoner
05-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Which one ?
Doug

Hmmmmm, if you start at taint anything's possible

Terry Ardeno
05-11-2007, 03:26 PM
I just this second got off the phone with Buddy

Buddy's in town to relax and play in some local tournaments.
Doug

Doug,
Where does Buddy live now? He used to live in Sefner but I heard he moved back to Metropolis, Il. But then other people said he's accross the river in Kentucky again.

Thanks

!Smorgass Bored
05-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Doug,
Where does Buddy live now? He used to live in Sefner but I heard he moved back to Metropolis, Il. But then other people said he's accross the river in Kentucky again.

Thanks

I believe thast he's in Kentucky, but I'll ask him when I see him.
Doug

COLLECTION GURU
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Guys/Gals; it is not an O but a zero. He is hiding

JoeyA
05-12-2007, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=Smorgass Bored]I just this second got off the phone with Buddy while he's practicing at Planet 9-Ball. Even though this fellow talked and acted like a player and practiced on the Diamond table with Buddy, Buddy didn't know him. Big O played in last night's weekly 9 Ball tournament and went 2'n Out. He was illuminated by P-9-Ball's cue repairman Pete S.
Hump, you, Casey and Joey A. met my friend Pete at Grady's Senior's tournament in Naples,FL. and we all went to the Chinese Buffet for dinner....remember

Buddy's in town to relax and play in some local tournaments. Tomorrow he will be playing at Hammerhead's, where Corey Deuel is now the House Pro.
Doug
( well King, I guess we can call this case CLOSED......'Sergeant Preston of The Yukon' )
---------------------------
I remember Pete. He shapes a real mean tip.

Get a flashback Buddy. Go Buddy Go.
JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored
05-12-2007, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Smorgass Bored]I just this second got off the phone with Buddy while he's practicing at Planet 9-Ball. Even though this fellow talked and acted like a player and practiced on the Diamond table with Buddy, Buddy didn't know him. Big O played in last night's weekly 9 Ball tournament and went 2'n Out. He was illuminated by P-9-Ball's cue repairman Pete S.

Doug
---------------------------

I remember Pete. He shapes a real mean tip.

Get a flashback Buddy. Go Buddy Go.
JoeyA

Terry, Buddy is living in Metropolis,ILL.

Joey, Buddy Hall won the barbox tournament at Hammerheads, with Donnie Mills second and Will Bilbrey third.
Corey and a handful of others did not play, they flew out to Vegas for the BCA shindig...
Doug
( I had Buddy in the calcutta and won enough to pay my ENTIRE bartab for 13 hours as a spectator )

JoeyA
05-13-2007, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=JoeyA]

Terry, Buddy is living in Metropolis,ILL.

Joey, Buddy Hall won the barbox tournament at Hammerheads, with Donnie Mills second and Will Bilbrey third.
Corey and a handful of others did not play, they flew out to Vegas for the BCA shindig...
Doug
( I had Buddy in the calcutta and won enough to pay my ENTIRE bartab for 13 hours as a spectator )

How is Buddy's weight doing?
FTR, I don't blame Corey for high-tailing it out of there. When Buddy comes to play, he is a bulldog. :p
JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored
05-13-2007, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=Smorgass Bored]

How is Buddy's weight doing?
FTR, I don't blame Corey for high-tailing it out of there. When Buddy comes to play, he is a bulldog. :p
JoeyA

LOL, Buddy was eating right before the tournament started, then he ate pizza before he won the hot seat match and then a Subway sandwich. He reminds me of the famous saying, "what happens in Buddy, stays in Buddy."
Slow and steady wins the race.
Don't move to Austin, move to FLORIDA.... imo
Doug

( btw, Dan Lavoie has a BEAUTIFUL room in Holiday, FL. with lots of room for expansion and candles burning in little fancy dishes in the mens room, there are at least five restaurants within 100 yards walking/delivery distance of Hammer Heads and a full liquor bar )

JoeyA
05-15-2007, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=JoeyA]

LOL, Buddy was eating right before the tournament started, then he ate pizza before he won the hot seat match and then a Subway sandwich. He reminds me of the famous saying, "what happens in Buddy, stays in Buddy."
Slow and steady wins the race.
Don't move to Austin, move to FLORIDA.... imo
Doug

( btw, Dan Lavoie has a BEAUTIFUL room in Holiday, FL. with lots of room for expansion and candles burning in little fancy dishes in the mens room, there are at least five restaurants within 100 yards walking/delivery distance of Hammer Heads and a full liquor bar )

Does Dan need another house pro and is it non-smoking?
JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored
05-15-2007, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Smorgass Bored]

Does Dan need another house pro and is it non-smoking?
JoeyA

Sadly, it is smoking and I had to move from the prime spot that I'd picked out and retained for 8 hours, when smokers sat on each side of me.... dammit !
The room, the counters, the bar, etc., are all done in real wood (no particle board) by hand by craftsmen, including roomowner Dan Lavoie.
I think Planet 9-Ball is in need of a 'house Pro' that will spend time with other players (kinda like the deal you had at Pickles).
Doug