PDA

View Full Version : 2007 straight pool qualifiers announced

dmgwalsh
05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
2007 Predator World 14.1 Championship Qualifiers

Qualifiers will be held from June 2 - June 30 to earn playing berths for the 2007 Predator World Straight Pool Championship. Each qualifier will have 2 winners who will receive a free entry fee into the main event.

This year's event will be even more prestigious and more in demand as players are already stacking up the alternate list for an invite to the 64 player limited field in the main event. The main event will be held at the Hilton East Brunswick, NJ once again on July 9-14,2007. Tickets for the main event are available now at www.dragonpromotions.com

"This is a great opportunity for the any player to get a shot at the World Title in 14.1. We have had a tremendous amount of support from fans and players since last year, and this year's event looks even better already." said Cindy Lee, President of Dragon Promotions which is producing the event for the second year in a row.

Early Entry fees will be $95 paying 5 days prior to event. Afterwards entry fee will be $120.

Qualifiers will be held at the following location and dates:

June 2 House of Billiards- Weert, Netherlands contact Maurice at info@hobweert.nl
June 9 Danny K's - Los Angeles,CA contact Danny at (714) 771-9706
June 9-10 Bill & Billie's CuesPort - Baltimore MD $2500 added contact Peter at peterpool@comcast.net
June 23 Drexeline Billiards - Philadelphia,PA contact Bob at (610) 259-9144
June 30 ON-Q Club -Chicago IL Contact Tom at 847-567-7665
June 30 Amsterdam Billiards - New York, NY contact Greg at 212-496-8180

You may pay cash at the location of the qualifier or mail a check or money order made out to Dragon Promotions for entry fees
Mail to:
Dragon Promotions
2516 Waukegan Road Unit #144
Glenview, IL 60025

For more details goto www.dragonpromotions.com or email worldstraightpoolchampionships@gmail.com

JimS
05-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Are you going to play in the qualifier?

Williebetmore
05-11-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm going to take a shot at the June 9-10 event in Maryland. I hope any AZB'ers who attend will look me up.

Blackjack
05-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm going to take a shot at the June 9-10 event in Maryland. I hope any AZB'ers who attend will look me up.

Good luck Willie.

Has there been an official roster of "invited" players handed out yet? I couldn't find one.

dmgwalsh
05-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Are you going to play in the qualifier?

I don't know yet. Do I want to be fodder for the big boys?? Maybe. I've played 3 or 4 of the guys that were in the qualifier last year and have beaten each of them at least once. I am scheduled to be in Rockford that weekend, but might be able to reschedule.

Are you coming up to watch? Sailor was there last year.

alinco
05-14-2007, 05:23 PM

I'll see you there!
Andy

JohnnyP
06-01-2007, 01:53 PM
It's been forty years since I could run two racks, but this guppy signed up!

I watched Wayne Norcross run off 67 like it was nothing last night. He explained every move he was going to make, and then he executed.

I scheduled two lessons with him next week (better late than never).

AuntyDan
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
It's been forty years since I could run two racks, but this guppy signed up!

I watched Wayne Norcross run off 67 like it was nothing last night. He explained every move he was going to make, and then he executed.

I scheduled two lessons with him next week (better late than never).

I'd heard they were only taking 16 entries at Danny K's (Not sure about the other locations) and they were fully booked with a waiting list if anyone dropped out. Can you confirm Johnny?

I also heard a rumour that Reyes and Bustamente would be in town and may want to get in on the qualifier. Anyone else heard this?

BTW Best of luck Johnny.

Roy Steffensen
06-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I'd heard they were only taking 16 entries at Danny K's (Not sure about the other locations) and they were fully booked with a waiting list if anyone dropped out. Can you confirm Johnny?

I also heard a rumour that Reyes and Bustamente would be in town and may want to get in on the qualifier. Anyone else heard this?

BTW Best of luck Johnny.

Reyes playing a qualifier!? That makes you wonder about the level of the already invited players, doesn't ;)

AuntyDan
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Reyes playing a qualifier!? That makes you wonder about the level of the already invited players, doesn't ;)

I don't know for certain he isn't already qualified, this is just a rumour as far as I know, unless anyone else can confirm or deny it.

Is there a published list of qualified players yet? The only ones I can see are the ones on the flier for the tournment. (Engert, Hohmann, Hopkins and Schmidt.)

JohnnyP
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Shirley and I were at Hard Times last Friday afternoon. Bustamonte came in and practiced for an hour, and she got his autograph. He told her he lives here now, and comes in to practice every day.

I'll check with Wayne this evening about any openings.

Jimmy M.
06-07-2007, 12:05 AM

They have this silly rule that invited players can still play in qualifiers. Others might disagree, but I think it's absurd that an invited player has the opportunity to eliminate a player from a qualifier, thereby eliminating their chances of qualifying for the main tournament, when the invited player already has a spot.

One could argue that, if a player can't beat the invited player, then they have no business in the main event but I don't agree with that line of thinking at all. What if all of the aspiring golfers had to beat Tiger, Phil, Ernie, Vijay, <add more pro's here> during the U.S. Open qualifying process? It just sounds silly to me.

Williebetmore
06-07-2007, 08:17 AM
They have this silly rule that invited players can still play in qualifiers. Others might disagree, but I think it's absurd that an invited player has the opportunity to eliminate a player from a qualifier, thereby eliminating their chances of qualifying for the main tournament, when the invited player already has a spot.

One could argue that, if a player can't beat the invited player, then they have no business in the main event but I don't agree with that line of thinking at all. What if all of the aspiring golfers had to beat Tiger, Phil, Ernie, Vijay, <add more pro's here> during the U.S. Open qualifying process? It just sounds silly to me.

JM,
You make an excellent point; but there are some extenuating circumstances in some of these qualifiers:

#1 - I don't believe Efren played in the World Tournament last year - I have not heard anyone say he was invited this year (I can't find ANY list of invited players). I think he has to qualify if he wishes to play - bad luck for anyone in his qualifier.

#2 - The Maryland "qualifier" was the Maryland state open tournament BEFORE it was a "qualifier". Should we penalize the tournament promoter by saying he can't have any famous players in his tournament because qualifier spots are there? Perhaps in this case it is okay to say that if a person can't beat a "name" player perhaps he has no business in the World Tournament anyway. At the very least, any criticism in this regard should be directed at the World Tournament personnel who allowed this tournament to be used as a qualifier, rather than at the Maryland Open promoters.

Realize that there will be a number of "name" players at this tournament who are playing STRICTLY for love of the game, and out of desire to promote 14.1. Their participation (and attendant publicity) will do FAR more for the advancement of the game than some Joe Schmo (like me) winning a couple of more matches.

#3 - Most importantly - POOL IS NOT GOLF. There is no established mega-tour for the men. There are no "big dollars on tour" for everyone to chase. The World Tournament is NOT the Masters/British Open/PGA/US Open rolled into one. When pool gets as big as golf, then I definitely believe a qualifying system will be appropriate; but for now, everyone should just play where they want and let the chips fall where they may. I RELISH the opportunity to get in some games with Mika Immonen, Danny Harriman, Jeanette Lee, and Mike Davis. I'm not complaining; let's wait and see if any of the other competitors will whine about it. I will state categorically that I truly believe that if I can't beat these players in the qualifier, then I have no business being in the World Tournament.

P.S. - having said all of that; it would be great if pool had a real tour; and a real (read organized, well run) qualifying system that was coordinated with the real tour. If that was the case then your analysis is dead-on.

AuntyDan
06-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Shirley and I were at Hard Times last Friday afternoon. Bustamonte came in and practiced for an hour, and she got his autograph. He told her he lives here now, and comes in to practice every day.

I'll check with Wayne this evening about any openings.

Very cool! Do you think Bustamente specifically meant Orange County when he said he lives "here" or LA/somewhere in southern California? If he starts hanging out at Danny's every night I might have to finally try and make it over there more than twice a year.

Did he confirm he is playing in the Straight Pool qualifier this weekend?

AuntyDan
06-07-2007, 08:35 AM
I can't find ANY list of invited players
As I mentioned above there is a flier on their website that lists 4 players already (Engert, Hohmann, Hopkins and Schmidt.) Not sure if these were invited or if they qualified though.

Most importantly - POOL IS NOT GOLF. There is no established mega-tour for the men. There are no "big dollars on tour" for everyone to chase.
You've been stuck down in your basement waaay too long WBM, have you never heard of a little something called the IPT? Sure, they may have had a little set back but there's going to be a 2007 season announcement Real Soon Now that'll make all those cynical losers who're critizing them eat all their words (flavored with sprinkled coral calcium), just you wait and see ;-)

Jimmy M.
06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
#3 - Most importantly - POOL IS NOT GOLF. There is no established mega-tour for the men.

In my opinion, this line of thinking is what causes many promoters and tournament directors to make poor decisions. While there are so many reasons why pool is what it is, I truly believe that, until we start treating it like it is more than just a basement past-time, or some sort of sub-sport, it will never be more than that. Lack of money is no reason for lack of organization.

Caromsoft
06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
As I mentioned above there is a flier on their website that lists 4 players already (Engert, Hohmann, Hopkins and Schmidt.) Not sure if these were invited or if they qualified though.I can't find anything on the Danny K web site that talks about this. Can you post a link to the flier?

justnum
06-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Im preppin for the Amsterdam event on the 20th.

Should I be excited?
All I have to do is play well and ideally win.
Easy goals

Steve Lipsky
06-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Im preppin for the Amsterdam event on the 20th.

Should I be excited?
All I have to do is play well and ideally win.
Easy goals

You'll do even better than you were hoping, cuz you'll have ten extra days to prep! Isn't the Amsterdam event on the 30th? ;)

- Steve

AuntyDan
06-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I can't find anything on the Danny K web site that talks about this. Can you post a link to the flier?

Do you mean the people already qualified I mentioned? If so that flier is here (http://www.dragonpromotions.com/flyer.php?file=2007straightpoolchampionship).

Caromsoft
06-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Do you mean the people already qualified I mentioned? If so that flier is here (http://www.dragonpromotions.com/flyer.php?file=2007straightpoolchampionship).
That's it. Thanks.

NYC cue dude
06-09-2007, 12:54 AM
top 16 finishers from last year automatically get an invite back.

rg

sjm
06-09-2007, 02:27 PM
top 16 finishers from last year automatically get an invite back.

rg

Top 16 finishers that I remember from last year:

Thorsten Hohmann
Thomas Engert
Max Eberle
Mika Immonen
Jasmin Ouschan
Danny Harriman
Allen Hopkins
Mike Davis
Bobby Hunter
Michael Felder
Dan Barouty
Craig Riley
John Schmidt
Ralf Souquet

Well, that's 14 of them, the last two Im not so sure, but it may have been Nico Otterman and Oliver Ortmann.

dmgwalsh
06-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Top 16 finishers that I remember from last year:

Thorsten Hohmann
Thomas Engert
Max Eberle
Mika Immonen
Jasmin Ouschan
Danny Harriman
Allen Hopkins
Mike Davis
Bobby Hunter
Michael Felder
Dan Barouty
Craig Riley
John Schmidt
Ralf Souquet

Well, that's 14 of them, the last two Im not so sure, but it may have been Nico Otterman and Oliver Ortmann.

pretty good memory:

st Thorsten Hohmann (Germany) 11 – 2 HR 174

2nd Thomas Engert (Germany) 11 – 3 HR 99

3-4th Max Eberle (USA) 11 – 1 HR 127

Mika Immonen (Finland) 10 – 3 HR 132

5-8th Allen Hopkins (USA) 9 – 2 HR 123

Mike Davis (USA) 9 – 2 HR 90

Danny Harriman (USA) 8 – 3 HR 103

Jasmin Ouschan (Austria) 8 – 4 HR 85

9-16th Charlie Williams (USA) 8 – 3 HR 65

Michael Felder (Austria) 8 – 3 HR 55

John Schmidt (USA) 7 – 3 HR 91

Bobby Hunter (USA) 7 – 3 HR 42

Ralf Souquet (Germany) 7 – 4 HR 111

Nico Otterman (Germany) 7 – 4 HR 77

Danny Barouty (USA) 6 – 4 HR 62

Craig Riley (England) 6 – 5 HR 54

alinco
06-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the list. I didn't realize that Danny Barouty was already in.

Andy

dmgwalsh
06-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Does anyone know who qualified from the Netherlands qualifiers?

Are all 16 of last years finalists confirmed for this year?

Where do the other players come from?

Have other pros, foreign or home-grown been invited and have any confirmed?

poolmouse
06-11-2007, 09:40 PM
gotta love it!

ln -s /home/bed /dev/work

:)
poolmouse

Jimmy M.
06-12-2007, 01:25 AM
gotta love it!

ln -s /home/bed /dev/work

:)
poolmouse

It's a great arrangement. ;)

TheOne
06-12-2007, 06:59 AM
I kinda agee with Jimmy that invited players should be able to play in qualifiers but if you can't beat 'em join 'em! It does seem that this is the only competiton practice around at 14.1 at the moment.

Maybe you could put all the players already in one one side of the draw!? Atleast that way the last two on the other side get the spots and can't be elimated by a bad draw?

Anyway my question, are the NYC/Chicago events on the 30th open to players already in? :confused:

dmgwalsh
06-12-2007, 08:17 AM
I kinda agee with Jimmy that invited players should be able to play in qualifiers but if you can't beat 'em join 'em! It does seem that this is the only competiton practice around at 14.1 at the moment.

Maybe you could put all the players already in one one side of the draw!? Atleast that way the last two on the other side get the spots and can't be elimated by a bad draw?

Anyway my question, are the NYC/Chicago events on the 30th open to players already in? :confused:

The one in Chicago was last year. Jimmy "5 ball" Mataya was already in and he played. Tom Karabotsos is running it this year, too, so probably the same.

TheOne
06-12-2007, 08:24 AM
The one in Chicago was last year. Jimmy "5 ball" Mataya was already in and he played. Tom Karabotsos is running it this year, too, so probably the same.

Thanks Dennis, good luck if u play either.