PDA

View Full Version : DP Cues going "cheap" on eBay ...

Str8PoolPlayer
05-11-2007, 03:23 PM
It amazes me that a Custom Cue Builder would sell his $1600.00 Cues for under $300.00 ... The average price for the last (31) Dale Perry (Official listings) Cues sold on eBay is under $300.00 ... Can anyone name another famous, or semi-famous, Custom Cue Maker who cranks out $1600.00 Cues and sells them for less than $300.00 ... Obviously, I have a personal interest in this, as I was TOTALLY SCREWED by Dale Perry last year and I will NEVER let him forget about it ...

cueandcushion
05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Join the club.

Str8PoolPlayer
05-11-2007, 06:28 PM
My whole family is located in and around the Greater St. Louis area and I plan to visit later this year ... I will make it a point to stop by your Pool Room for a session or two of One-Pocket or Str8Pool ...

cueandcushion
05-11-2007, 06:41 PM
My whole family is located in and around the Greater St. Louis area and I plan to visit later this year ... I will make it a point to stop by your Pool Room for a session or two of One-Pocket or Str8Pool ...

We look forward to having you there. Be sure to print out some coupons for half off pool from the links below when you come. They are good Sun-Thurs.

Str8PoolPlayer
05-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Thank You for the invitation ... I'll be in touch when the time comes ...

Mike in MN
05-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm sort of new here, so I don't know all the goods. What happened with you and Dale??

Slider
05-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm sort of new here, so I don't know all the goods. What happened with you and Dale??

Briefly, and to my best recollection, he received a cue with a horrible finish, and DP tried to say that the flaws were caused from use, refusing to refinish it. Something like that.

Ken

td873
05-12-2007, 07:11 AM
It amazes me that a Custom Cue Builder would sell his $1600.00 Cues for under $300.00 ... The average price for the last (31) Dale Perry (Official listings) Cues sold on eBay is under $300.00 ... Can anyone name another famous, or semi-famous, Custom Cue Maker who cranks out $1600.00 Cues and sells them for less than $300.00 ... Obviously, I have a personal interest in this, as I was TOTALLY SCREWED by Dale Perry last year and I will NEVER let him forget about it ...[/SIZE][/FONT]
Nobody makes a $1600 anything and sells if for $300. Plenty of people make $150 things and sell them for $300 though. Hint hint.

-td

Str8PoolPlayer
05-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Nobody makes a $1600 anything and sells if for $300. Plenty of people make $150 things and sell them for $300 though. Hint hint.

-td

I kind of feel that way also, and it's nice to know others are on the same wave-length ...

Ruthless
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
ahhh don't forget that every DP cue is a 1/1(,000) and that finish just made it unique :)

He's not doing things much different than Meucci and McDermott did except that he will never get the following that they did.

John Barton - Materials, Design, and Perfection in workmanship is what makes the difference in value of any product that you buy (Diamonds vs. Cubic Zirconia to Rolls Royce vs. Toyota).

Fast Lenny
05-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Its funny that i picked up an inexpensive Dufferin sneaky and have been playing with it recently as opposed to my $500 cue and i am pleasantly suprised,i feel like i am playing a ball better,perhaps its the Moori tip on it,lol. :D

Thunderball
05-13-2007, 12:24 PM
My DP is my primary shooter.Got it off ebay January of this year.$330 or so shipped.

At was exactly as advertised and frankly I love it.Anyone who hits a few with it falls in love (or at least really like it) and it brings quite a few compliments on the look,which is flawless.

I know nothing of the "history" with DP execpt for what I read here from time to time so I can't speak on that part of it all.

I'll add that if my cue case were stolen today,I would not hesitate to buy another one.Good cue for the money imho.

JoeyA
05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
We look forward to having you there. Be sure to print out some coupons for half off pool from the links below when you come. They are good Sun-Thurs.

You know, posting those links are a really nice thing to do and a good business decision. I don't know how long you have been posting that particular link on the discount coupons but I would never have checked it out if you hadn't have mentioned it. I'm not headed that way but I like the idea.

JoeyA

cueandcushion
05-14-2007, 02:27 AM
You know, posting those links are a really nice thing to do and a good business decision. I don't know how long you have been posting that particular link on the discount coupons but I would never have checked it out if you hadn't have mentioned it. I'm not headed that way but I like the idea.

JoeyA
I only do it for AZBilliards and Myspace "friends" to stimulate new customers. I have on occasion added the link to Craigslist ads and such just to track traffic to measure it. I have a couple regulars that use them but it is mostly people who have never been in before that use them. I appreciate the compliment, its hard to come up with business ideas or coupons or discounts that are good for both customer AND for us.

150shot
06-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm gonna bring this back to life since this caught my eye as well. I had a DP before I dissappeared from pool almost 10 years ago and was a killer cue and easliy sold it for $1k back then knowing its rarity, and before ebay and other online retailers existed.

I come back lately and see these CHEAP on ebay. I couldnt believe it was the same DP. Now doing some research obviously you get what you pay for in most cases, I see them ranging from $300 to $1.5k. Its just weird that Im not sure what you get now if you do buy from him. Alot of sellers still calling them "custom" and at the same time the low $300 ones are "custom " as well???

how is the hit these days with anyone that still has em?

6 Pocket Mike
06-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I have owned 3 of Dale’s cues and currently shoot with one. I have sold the others in the 5-600 dollar ballpark over the past 6 months. I haven't had any problem with the general workmanship of the cues and they all hit great. About 4 months ago I bought a DP and payed extra to have a DPR which is an 8 spliced laminated shaft which is supposed to be on PAR with a Predator 314. I asked him if it was a pro taper which he said it was. When I got the cue I noted the shaft was a bit meaty and no where close to a pro taper:mad: . I figured it was not a big deal since I let Mark Thomas from MTC cue repair take it down to a pro taper. It still hit good but was not quite the same feel I am use to:( . I looked around for a 314 radial pin with a silver ring to match my cue but could not find one. I then bought a blank 314 and called Dale up to see if I could send him the shaft to match the collar for me. Getting him to do it was like pulling teeth!:mad: He kept telling me that the quality was bad and his DPR should suffice. This completely baffled me...:confused: I advised him that the DPR was not to my liking and what should it matter to him since he already made the money on the sale of one. I just don't get what the big deal was, I think he was a little offended because he went into a pitch that he designed their programs and that they are now all being made in China. I don't know if that was BS or not but it is beside the point. I'm the customer and I know what I want. I was not asking for a hand out I was willing to pay for his work to match it. I finally said never mind and had Tom Coker do it for me. Up to that point I was completely happy with Dale.

6 Pocket Mike
06-28-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm gonna bring this back to life since this caught my eye as well. I had a DP before I dissappeared from pool almost 10 years ago and was a killer cue and easliy sold it for $1k back then knowing its rarity, and before ebay and other online retailers existed.

I come back lately and see these CHEAP on ebay. I couldnt believe it was the same DP. Now doing some research obviously you get what you pay for in most cases, I see them ranging from $300 to $1.5k. Its just weird that Im not sure what you get now if you do buy from him. Alot of sellers still calling them "custom" and at the same time the low $300 ones are "custom " as well???

how is the hit these days with anyone that still has em?

Mine hits like a champ ever since I put a predator on it. It hit good with the DPR but the predator with a Mori medium sure made a difference.

skydiverbob
07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
It amazes me that a Custom Cue Builder would sell his $1600.00 Cues for under $300.00 ... The average price for the last (31) Dale Perry (Official listings) Cues sold on eBay is under $300.00 ... Can anyone name another famous, or semi-famous, Custom Cue Maker who cranks out $1600.00 Cues and sells them for less than $300.00 ... Obviously, I have a personal interest in this, as I was TOTALLY SCREWED by Dale Perry last year and I will NEVER let him forget about it ...
He owes me $950 for a cue I refused. Now I'm in the process of going after him. Please send me an email to skydiverbob@gmail.com so I can gather some evidence before I go to the Attorney General. Thanks!

jay helfert
07-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Bottom line, Dale Perry (DP) is selling $300 cues for $300.

DaveK
07-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Bottom line, Dale Perry (DP) is selling $300 cues for $300.

Yer a smart fella Jay.

Dave

cplayermagic
07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
... Obviously, I have a personal interest in this, as I was TOTALLY SCREWED by Dale Perry last year and I will NEVER let him forget about it ...

Well that's obvious, because DP doesn't stand for Dale Perry.

gpeezy
07-26-2007, 11:04 AM
he's having them made over seas.PLs notice the I think.He has been pumping those cues out.I myself had one that I bought at the start of his eBay shiz and its was retailed at 2200.00 that I paid close to eight hundred for.I tried to swap it for one of his radial pin cues in vegas and he offered me 200 FOR THE P O S,what an ass.He said he can't sell his own cues after they have been used.?What?

Methodman201
07-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Well that's obvious, because DP doesn't stand for Dale Perry.
How have You come to this instance? DP, First and Last Initial.
I was told Diffrent. He must be Lying to Me then, Uh?

gpeezy
07-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Dip Shi...........

cplayermagic
07-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Double penetra..

jay helfert
07-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Yer a smart fella Jay.

Dave

Better than being a f-rt smeller.

DaveK
07-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Better than being a f-rt smeller.

Yep, and it'll save ya money too !

Dave, would take a free $300 cue, or a free $1600 cue, makes no difference to Dave

Str8PoolPlayer
07-26-2007, 07:49 PM
He owes me $950 for a cue I refused. Now I'm in the process of going after him. Please send me an email to skydiverbob@gmail.com so I can gather some evidence before I go to the Attorney General. Thanks!

I knew this would happen to other buyers and I Thank You for coming forward with your story ... There are so many reputable Cuemakers out there and no one should be subjected to that kind of treatment Before, During, or After the Sale ...