PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen the show "Pinks" on Speed Channel? (Pool Related inside).

Scottster
05-11-2007, 08:04 PM
IF you have never seen this show on Speed Channel, you need to check it out. IMHO this show has a basic format that I believe could be used to promote pool.

To fully understand what I am about to say, you need to be familiar with "Pinks" and "Pinks All Out".

In "Pinks", the Drivers and crews negotiate a "spot" to what they think will be a fair race between the 2 cars. The set is a best out of 5 "Lose the Race, Lose Your Ride. After each drag race the crews re-negotiate to even up the race.

In "Pinks All Out", they have a bunch of cars qualify and take 12 cars that run the drag strip in about the same time. For qualifying, each team earns $1000.00 to gamble with. It is up to the drivers to determine how much they gamble on each race, which is single elimination between the 12 cars. The winner takes home 10,000, plus whatever he won "gambling" between each of his races.

For the pool format, my initial thought is to have a one on one competition with a random selection of 3 of 5 disciplines in pocket billiards:

1) 10- ball
2) 8- ball
3) 1-pocket
4) Bank Pool
5) Straight Pool

Each player, and their Stakehorse start out with (ie) $5k. Before each discipline the involved parties work out a game (spot), and how much will be wagered on that particular discipline.

Part of the negotiations will determine how much each discipline will be worth. The first 3 disciplines will be played and if a player is bust at the end of the 3 disciplines, a victor is determined.

However, if a player has some cash left over after the 3 disciplines a flip of the coin will determine what discipline of the 2 that are left will be played and the player with the least amt of money will be "All In" for that Discipline.

If the final discipline is needed, again the lowest player will be "All In" and at the end of this discipline whoever has the most cash will be determined the winner.

I think something like this would be fun for the viewers. The audience will get to no more about the personality of each player, and be part of the action that goes along with matching up in pool, plus get to see excellent pool as well.

I think this would be fun. Can you imagine the character of Keith M. matching up with Alex P. or Scott F. that is what pool needs, the audience becoming familiar with the personalities of the players.

This would allow the general audience to pick there "favorites" to root for, or against.

What do ya' think?

JCIN
05-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Great idea.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=694191&postcount=21

Da Poet
05-12-2007, 02:50 AM
IF you have never seen this show on Speed Channel, you need to check it out. IMHO this show has a basic format that I believe could be used to promote pool.

To fully understand what I am about to say, you need to be familiar with "Pinks" and "Pinks All Out".

In "Pinks", the Drivers and crews negotiate a "spot" to what they think will be a fair race between the 2 cars. The set is a best out of 5. After each drag race the crews re-negotiate to even up the race.

In "Pinks All Out", they have a bunch of cars qualify and take 12 cars that run the drag strip in about the same time. For qualifying, each team earns $1000.00 to gamble with. It is up to the drivers to determine how much they gamble on each race, which is single elimination between the 12 cars. The winner takes home 10,000, plus whatever he won "gambling" between each of his races.

For the pool format, my initial thought is to have a one on one competition with a random selection of 3 of 5 disciplines in pocket billiards:

1) 10- ball
2) 8- ball
3) 1-pocket
4) Bank Pool
5) Straight Pool

Each player, and their Stakehorse start out with (ie) $5k. Before each discipline the involved parties work out a game (spot), and how much will be wagered on that particular discipline.

Part of the negotiations will determine how much each discipline will be worth. The first 3 disciplines will be played and if a player is bust at the end of the 3 disciplines, a victor is determined.

However, if a player has some cash left over after the 3 disciplines a flip of the coin will determine what discipline of the 2 that are left will be played and the player with the least amt of money will be "All In" for that Discipline.

If the final discipline is needed, again the lowest player will be "All In" and at the end of this discipline whoever has the most cash will be determined the winner.

I think something like this would be fun for the viewers. The audience will get to no more about the personality of each player, and be part of the action that goes along with matching up in pool, plus get to see excellent pool as well.

I think this would be fun. Can you imagine the character of Keith M. matching up with Alex P. or Scott F. that is what pool needs, the audience becoming familiar with the personalities of the players.

This would allow the general audience to pick there "favorites" to root for, or against.

What do ya' think?

The Pinks episodes I saw, the loser turned over his wheels to the winner.

That was friggin' cool!

I agree that something like you are saying could work for an audience. The production would be tricky being indoors and all but when I saw the show, I was thinking the exact same thing.

chefjeff
05-12-2007, 07:53 AM
The guy that announces on that show, Gavin Jerome, was my "professor" when I attented Comedy College a few years ago.

I emailed him to come over to this thread and wondered if the producers would be interested in doing a similar thing with pool. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

I sent him this link, so any ideas anyone has would be welcomed and might help this idea come to fruition.

Jeff Livingston

ShaneT58
05-12-2007, 08:02 AM
I think something like the would be pretty entertaining. Maybe at some point the cue they are playing with should be part of the bet too.

Cue Crazy
05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I Like the idea, and watch that show all the time. "Lose the Match Lose Your stick"

I'd even put a heck of a nice Wally World cue on the line just for the show,;) :D

Greg

Scottster
05-12-2007, 01:21 PM
I Like the idea, and watch that show all the time. "Lose the Match Lose Your stick"

I'd even put a heck of a nice Wally World cue on the line just for the show,;) :D

Greg

I say keep it to the cash. Players want cash, they dont want another player's cue.

If this took off, we then would need to possibly break the country into regions and have some form of qualifying system to determine say 16 players? $1000.00 entry to go to overall prize fund (I am brainstorming here, just throwing ideas out there as they come along).

The qualifying segment would be strictly heads up (no spot negotiations).

(Cont later, gotta run... please share all ideas).

Big Bad Bern
05-12-2007, 03:27 PM
As I like to watch "pinks" I think the Idea would be great if applied to pool.
I think they should play ten ball best 3 0f 5 each team puts up $5000 winner takes all, the first match should be played even (run whatcha brung) and spots should be negotiated from there.

Bern

Loves this idea

Cue Crazy
05-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Yes Sir, That was kind of My point with My joke.

Pinks is alittle different in that a good driver also needs a good car, so there is value of parts in the cars even if they are'nt not a looker per say. Skill could get him/her alot closer to the win, but not without a car that will run hard enough, will hold up the duration of the race, or allows them to make good negotiations. For a pool player these issues are very subjective, as the cue does'nt always make the player in alot of opinions.

The regular Pinks show- title for title usually ends up in sandbagging, and holding back the true speed of their rides. resulting in the person that makes the best negotiations winning the race alot of the time.

In the all out version of the show, they switched things up to limit the sandbagging. They have to qualify to make the list of drivers entered into the show. At any point during the show they break their original qualifying times, then they are disqualified. They also picked the drivers based on what times they wanted the cars entered in the competition to post up. Like they don't neccesararly pull the fastest cars, but encourage everyone to put up their fastest qualifying time before deciding what times they want to run in the competition.

You could do something simular with pool I suppose, but when It comes down, and you take out the key ellements, then It's still basically just a tournament, league play where top reginal teams go to vegas, or a headsup matchup. With the exception of the 1000 dollar entry, and a possible better payday.

My opinion only- I like the concept, but the more I think about It the more different It would be from the show It'self. It's still a cool idea though, and I would love to see something like that related to pool on TV:)

Greg

I say keep it to the cash. Players want cash, they dont want another player's cue.

If this took off, we then would need to possibly break the country into regions and have some form of qualifying system to determine say 16 players? $1000.00 entry to go to overall prize fund (I am brainstorming here, just throwing ideas out there as they come along).

The qualifying segment would be strictly heads up (no spot negotiations).

(Cont later, gotta run... please share all ideas).

Scottster
05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Heres my brainstorm on how to get started. Start off with 8 "Stake Horses"

willing to put up 5k? 10K? (Money is up for discussion too). Present them with a list of top "All Around" players, or if they already have a player in mind to put in the box, thats fine, its their money.

From these 8 players have them match up through the 3 out of 5 disciplines as discussed earlier to determine an "all around" champion.

The possibility of breaking down the disciplines to have matchups exclusive to a certain discipline to determine a discilpine champion is also a possibility.

In regards to other "contenders" Some sort of regional tournaments can be set up to determine players or, heres a revolutionary idea, individual players can approach one of the stake horses and challenge one of the stakehorses players to a match, of whatever discipline by putting up say 2k of his own money for an opportunity to match up in a single discipline event (for the show) if the stake horses player wins, he gets $1000 of the challenge money. If the challenger wins, he wins hinself a stake in a single discipline event. Or, how about 5k for an "all around" challenge against the stake horse's current player. If the current player of the stake horse wins, he gets $2500 of the challenge match. If the challenger wins he becomes the stakehorse's new player, and the current player is "released."

This show could put a strong emphasis on both, the stakehorse and his stable of players allowing fans to get to know the personality of everyone involved in the pool world. In essence, it becomes more about the surroundings of pool, than just the the great game of pool itself. This is what makes great TV.

Also, help out with suggestions for a name of such a show. The best one I have come up with so far is "Road Players"

Again, please share any ideas.

Scottster
05-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I must confess, this idea goes against what I have "preached" in the past about how i thought of the relationship between gambling and pool.

I wanted to come clean about this before anyone jumps in and starts flaming me about my past comments about the effects of gambling on pool.

I have come to believe the 2 will always be connected and for pool to ever have a mainstream following, it should be promoted as such.

Lets face it, if you are not an avid fan of high level pool, it is boring to watch on TV, heck, I even fall asleep watching it sometimes.

The general public are watching players they have no clue who they are making a game look ridiculously easy.

Another note, when the major events are goin on, where are most the audience? The tournament arena? or the "Action Room"? The action room where they can get a glimpse of these characters in action. Something the general public never gets to see. This is what the general public would find entertaining. The one on one competition/confrontation(?) of players and stakehorses matching up.

We need to come up with a presentation/type of competition that would make Louis Roberts proud.

chefjeff
05-15-2007, 05:37 AM
The guy that announces on that show, Gavin Jerome, was my "professor" when I attented Comedy College a few years ago.

I emailed him to come over to this thread and wondered if the producers would be interested in doing a similar thing with pool. I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

I sent him this link, so any ideas anyone has would be welcomed and might help this idea come to fruition.

Jeff Livingston

I received a reply from Gavin...Here tiz...

Hey!

Of course I remember you. I remember all who have come and gone from Comedy College!

The idea is a good one and I think the PINKS concept could be applied to anything really. I do know that the producers of the show are only interested in automotive stuff at the moment and with the success of PINKS they are swamped.

The other thing to be careful of is SPEED owns the rights to the PINKS show and I know they have been very vigorous in defending any and all copyright and trademark infringements. You and I both know you can't trademark an idea but make sure you are very careful in how you package it.

I have been on the show since the beginning but you will hear me more than you will see me. Every now and again I get a cameo but not so much in the ALL OUTS.

If you get the Pool idea sold and they need an announcer drop me a line! LOL

Great to hear from you and keep me posted if anything transpires from this idea!

Gavin Jerome

Jeff Livingston

Scottster
05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Surprised not too many found this worthy of talking about.

This is the only "Bump" I will give it.

Dead Money
05-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I think they should play pool for their cars on that show PINKS instead of racing them:D:D

RBLilly
05-19-2007, 09:24 AM
If anyone saw Ball Busters on the game show network it was a really cool idea on betting and playing pool.

It was a cool show for anyone that liked billiards, however I don't think it made it very far in the ratings.

The other thing was that it was on the game show network. So a lot of people didn't really get the chance to see it.

We need something that is on a channel that everyone gets.