PDA

View Full Version : "The GosPool" by Freddie Bentivegna

Terry Ardeno
05-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I received the book and shirt in the mail today and I want to thank you very much! What an enjoyable book! These stories are so funny that I called a few of my friends up and read them some excerpts. You're getting more fans by the day!

I have a question for you...how fine a line is there between "managing" a game ala Artie & Ronnie and being a "locksmith"? Between setting everything up just so right vs not playing unless you got "the nuts"?

Thanks again!
Terry

jay helfert
05-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I received the book and shirt in the mail today and I want to thank you very much! What an enjoyable book! These stories are so funny that I called a few of my friends up and read them some excerpts. You're getting more fans by the day!

I have a question for you...how fine a line is there between "managing" a game ala Artie & Ronnie and being a "locksmith"? Between setting everything up just so right vs not playing unless you got "the nuts"?

Thanks again!
Terry

I'll take this one Freddie. "Managing" a game is far different from being a "Locksmith". Working backward here, a Locksmith will only play a game when they have the "nuts". They must have way the best of it to even get on the table.

Managing a game on the other hand means to get the conditions right where you think you have a fair chance to win. You don't want to put yourself in a bad spot, where all the little factors are weighted against you. A good manager gives himself the best possible chance to win a close game. You aren't looking for the "nuts", you just want a fair chance in the game.

An example might be that when I had my first poolroom in Bakersfield in the 70's, I was on every road man's map. They knew that the owner of the joint (me) was gonna play whoever walked in the door, and I was good for a three or four hundred dollar score if you could beat me. My old friend Jimmy Reid showed me all his notes he got from another player about me.

The first year or so, I would get up and play the moment someone came in looking for a game. Hey, it was my joint, and my tables. Well I was getting pounded over and over again. My problem was that I was playing mostly at night when the poolroom was packed (Tony Anningoni said it was the busiest room on the West Coast). So there were many distractions while I played. Customers to deal with, phone calls, employees with questions etc etc.

Finally I figured it out...duh. So when a player came in at say 8 PM, I would tell him to come back at 2 AM when I was closing and we could play all night. Now I had peace and quiet and the whole room to myself. Maybe me and one of my buddies and the player and his road partner. A cozy little game which I loved. All of sudden, the soft Jay became a tiger and I began to pound on a few guys. I won money, cues, cars and more! I felt sorry for Jerry Mackey and gave him back his cue and $200. He was on the road after all. I kept his Caddy though.

This is what is meant when you manage well. You create conditons more to your liking. Not change the game, just change some aspects of it. It can entail the size of the bet, the length of the match, where you play, the table, the cue ball or even the time you play. Got it?

Just covering your back Freddie. Chip in here if you want. By the way I love the GosPool! It is amazing how similar our experience of so many players. You made me chuckle many times with your dead on appraisals of so many players we both knew. I don't have a copy of Banking With The Beard though, so chalk it up.

jay helfert
05-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I LOVE THIS BOOK! You now have a chance to find out what some of these great pool characters were like. Freddie nails them time after time with dead on assessments.

Like when Ronnie had a triple tough shot to win a big game, and he would look up in the sky to implore God with a "why me" look. And he would tell all assembled that he had no chance to make this ball. I knew then it was all over and I could count the money (which I usually was holding by the way). When Ronnie went into his "Too tough to shoot, I'm out of line, I sell out if I miss" routine, I knew the game was one shot from being history. He NEVER missed these shots! Be it a backwards bank or a super thin cut down the rail, that ball was going in, no question about it.

Or when Cornbread had the money ball in his sights, straight in and six feet away, and the cue ball two inches off the end rail. He might look around and say to no one in particular "f-ck this shot" and hammer it in a 100 miles an hour. He had disdain for the popular conventions of what constituted pressure. He applied pressure, not submitted to it.

And Fred grasps it all in his little tome, and brings back memories of a bygone era when poolplayers were bigger than life, and anti-heros reigned supreme!

thrasher789
05-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I also gotta give praise to this book, I got it for my birthday and read it twice in the next week at school, during every class my teachers would rattle on and I'd just be reading the stories and studying the diagrams, loved it.

freddy the beard
05-13-2007, 05:46 AM
I LOVE THIS BOOK! You now have a chance to find out what some of these great pool characters were like. Freddie nails them time after time with dead on assessments.

Like when Ronnie had a triple tough shot to win a big game, and he would look up in the sky to implore God with a "why me" look. And he would tell all assembled that he had no chance to make this ball. I knew then it was all over and I could count the money (which I usually was holding by the way). When Ronnie went into his "Too tough to shoot, I'm out of line, I sell out if I miss" routine, I knew the game was one shot from being history. He NEVER missed these shots! Be it a backwards bank or a super thin cut down the rail, that ball was going in, no question about it.

Or when Cornbread had the money ball in his sights, straight in and six feet away, and the cue ball two inches off the end rail. He might look around and say to no one in particular "f-ck this shot" and hammer it in a 100 miles an hour. He had disdain for the popular conventions of what constituted pressure. He applied pressure, not submitted to it.

And Fred grasps it all in his little tome, and brings back memories of a bygone era when poolplayers were bigger than life, and anti-heros reigned supreme!

Thanks Jay, for that perfect description of my hero, Cornbread Red. "Anti-heroes." That's pretty good too. I'm sending you a Banking With The Beard also. I got the hint.

the Beard

Donovan
05-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Yes, both of his books ROCK. I can't imagine owning one without the other. It is a great concept too. Where else can yo get great banking instruction and great stories inter-twined like this. Being a younger guy, these books really let me get a feel for how it was back then. Some of the stories still sit with me in a way that cause me to laugh out loud. Thanks Freddie for sharing the love!

poolnut
05-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Where can I come up with these books?

freddy the beard
05-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Where can I come up with these books?

The is a link to my website, where you can buy the books, at the bottom of every post that I make on this forum. www.bankingwiththebeard.com

the Beard

X Breaker
05-14-2007, 06:26 AM
I love my books by Fred. Lots of knowledge, and very entertaining at the same time.
I love those pictures, diagrams, and the stories are priceless.
Terry, I am glad you asked this. Thank you for the respond, Jay.:)
Richard

bigskyjake
05-14-2007, 07:34 AM
I love the song on your website " oooohhh ooohh oohh, banking with the beard"

JimS
05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I have both books and have enjoyed them a lot. Also benefited from the banking school in the books. Thanks Freddie.

Railbird Hero
05-29-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm glad I found this post. I love seeing incredile bank shots and have been looking for any dedicated instructional material. It was even better seeing that Freddy has a link direct to the site. Im ordering the book and shirt now. I was hesitating at first because I couldnt look at the pages to check the diagrams and see if I could comprehend them. However the many reviews here and seeing his site in person have me feeling like its christmas eve and I want to race downstairs to see whats under the tree. Shipping will not be quick enough if you know what I mean. Thanks to many of you who have posted and know Ill get more knowledge for banking games.

Fatboy
05-30-2007, 06:17 AM
corn bread has hard as nails, i remember watching him hang a couple balls in the 1P tournment in reno 1993, he was cold as ice, i rode in the elevator with him, and mentioned it, he was cool-dont remember what he said, but he was cool. wish i could remember, being back around pool the past 6 months has woke up a few old memories

vagabond
05-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks Jay, for that perfect description of my hero, Cornbread Red. "Anti-heroes." That's pretty good too. I'm sending you a Banking With The Beard also. I got the hint.

the Beard

Is it on page 181 where a guy with out touching himself goes bananas?That is the most unbelievable and funnies thing I ever heard so far in my life.Freddy,Both your books are very good.

vagabond
05-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Is it on page 181 where a guy with out touching himself goes bananas?That is the most unbelievable and funnies thing I ever heard so far in my life.Freddy,Both your books are very good.

Correction: it is on page 127 of Gos pool

PKM
05-31-2007, 01:26 PM
I love the song on your website " oooohhh ooohh oohh, banking with the beard"

Haha, that song is awesome

Railbird Hero
06-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm glad I found this post. I love seeing incredile bank shots and have been looking for any dedicated instructional material. It was even better seeing that Freddy has a link direct to the site. Im ordering the book and shirt now. I was hesitating at first because I couldnt look at the pages to check the diagrams and see if I could comprehend them. However the many reviews here and seeing his site in person have me feeling like its christmas eve and I want to race downstairs to see whats under the tree. Shipping will not be quick enough if you know what I mean. Thanks to many of you who have posted and know Ill get more knowledge for banking games.
The Mailman brings toys today. I must thank Freddy For the quick shipping. The shirts awesome. I know have The Gospool. The Collection is complete. Although I was supposed to dress nice tonight theyre gonna have to see Freddys Shirt and Deal. Thanks to everyone for also helping point to salvation. The Stories are definately perfect reading material. Cant wait for the DVD's!!!!:) :) :)