PDA

View Full Version : Coker Cue vs Schon Cue - (( Quality Of Investment ))

barkcinnamon
05-13-2007, 03:34 AM
. . . . . .

Gerry
05-13-2007, 03:45 AM
a friend of mine plays with a Coker and likes it a lot.....it has more of the big pin new school feel to it, and he used to play with a Schon. I have played with and sold Schons for ever and I have yet to have a clunker. My playing cue right now is a Schon stl17.....it plays more old school forward weighted, SS joint type of hit, and I love it.

my vote is Schon, but with no slight towards the Coker.

Gerry

14.1player
05-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Both horrible for investment, as a matter of fact, 99% of cues are... :)

scottycoyote
05-13-2007, 11:25 AM
i agree investment wise.......look at mutual funds lol. I dont think you will lose money on either if you dont overpay when you buy.......but i doubt either is going to go up in value either.

Str8PoolPlayer
05-13-2007, 05:43 PM
and here's why ... I have personally watched Tom Coker build his Custom Cues (step by step) from a square, blank piece of wood and have witnessed the amount of Time and Craftsmanship involved in producing Custom Cues that consistently Look Great, Hit Great, and provide an excellent value for dollars spent ... Without question, Schon has been a well-respected name in the Pool & Billards Industry for many years ... However, in this case, I must cast my Vote for Coker Custom Cues ...

metallicarokerx
05-13-2007, 05:58 PM
i pick schon all day..

heres a question.. how do you pronounce coker.. is it like coke (the soda) or like cocker? dont mean to seem funny and please no jokes i just am curious on how its pronounced

cuetechasaurus
05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I play with a Coker. The one I have doesn't look anything like any Schon. I like Schons, most of them hit pretty good. This Coker I have hits better than any cue I've ever laid my hands on. In fact, everyone at the local poolhall agrees with me. And they arent the type to patronize someone either. :)

poolplayer2093
05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Both horrible for investment, as a matter of fact, 99% of cues are... :)

i love it when people ask for help picking something out and people post helpful advice like this

my vote is for a coker

poolplayer2093
05-13-2007, 07:19 PM
I play with a Coker. The one I have doesn't look anything like any Schon. I like Schons, most of them hit pretty good. This Coker I have hits better than any cue I've ever laid my hands on. In fact, everyone at the local poolhall agrees with me. And they arent the type to patronize someone either. :)

you know its funny i live in california and i've only seen like 3 cokers (i don't know exactly how it's pronounced) but the ones i've seen looked great. ha cuetechasaurus are you in california?

poolmouse
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
you know its funny i live in california and i've only seen like 3 cokers (i don't know exactly how it's pronounced) but the ones i've seen looked great. ha cuetechasaurus are you in california?

coker is a good custom cue for the money. i bought one used for $600. six points, two shafts, dark/light brown color combination. nice to look at and hits sweet. no regret buying it. :)

poolmouse

cuetechasaurus
05-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Yep, SoCal actually.

icem3n
05-14-2007, 01:55 AM
add in more $ and get a southwest or a runde instead. Safe some $ if you do not have enuf..

arsenius
05-14-2007, 03:20 AM
I'd go with the Coker myself, just because it's custom. Why would you want something a thousand other people have? This seems like a surprising question to me. Usually people are asking about which of two production cues to buy, or which of two custom cues to buy, but this is between a custom and a production cue.

JCIN
05-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Both are good cues. If you buy them right you probably will not get hurt when you try to sell (like everything else in life). If you pay anything close to "Retail" you will take a bath.

Try to sell a used 6 point Coker without ivory for more than $600. I'm sure it has happened just never to me.

I wouldn't pay more than 600-800 for any used Schon (unless it was an R-series or Runde era cue, there is a demand for these and as such will hold their value better, but cost more up front on top of being hard to find in good shape).

I have owned 2 Coker cues and an arsenal of Schons. I still play with an old cocobolo Schon sneaky pete. Hard to go wrong with either as far as playability, just depends on what you like. Schon has a steel joint, Coker big pin wood to wood. Try 'em both if possible, pay a smart price for the one you like. But do not consider either an "investment".

PROG8R
05-14-2007, 04:34 AM
They are both pretty good cues. But Coker can make you one that no one else has. Plus I love the ring work in the cokers. The one I used to own actually had a softer hit to it than my Mcdaniels did so I sold it. I have been trying to get it back since then.

Fatboy
05-14-2007, 05:16 AM

were from the same city and i never seen one in my life, there or la or vegas,

as far as cues being a bad investment, they are if you buy wrong, if you buy right there is $$$ in them, i have done both, i just took the worst of it on a cue but i had my own reasons, money isnt everything all the time. buy what your heart tells you.

barkcinnamon
05-22-2007, 02:36 PM
. . . . . . .

barkcinnamon
05-25-2007, 01:36 AM
. . . . . .