PDA

View Full Version : Keeping shaft smooth

jed1894
05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Without having to order/buy products from a billiard supply (other than I what I can get at Wal-mart), anyone have any homemade ways to keep the shaft slick and smooth. I'm not really talking about cleaning, such as with Majic eraser, but something to make it slide smooth after cleaning.

thanks, JED

Bastian
05-14-2007, 01:53 PM
1200 grit sandpaper.. pick up some sheets at the local auto parts store and cut them up into little squares.. cheap and easy.

Irish634
05-14-2007, 02:02 PM
If you can only go to Walmart, go to the craft section and see if you can pick up a small piece of leather. Use it to burnish your shaft.

Other things people use are brown paper bags, dollar bills, old pool table felt, etc. The key is not to use something that will remove wood.

jed1894
05-14-2007, 02:04 PM
If you can only go to Walmart, go to the craft section and see if you can pick up a small piece of leather. Use it to burnish your shaft.

Other things people use are brown paper bags, dollar bills, old pool table felt, etc. The key is not to use something that will remove wood.

Okay, I got the leather and I got the brown paper bag. I assume I wrap the shaft and go up and down like crazy?

MrLucky
05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
1200 grit sandpaper.. pick up some sheets at the local auto parts store and cut them up into little squares.. cheap and easy.
I have done this when I did not know better, I will never use any kind of sand paper on my shaft again I do use a scrap of leather at times to burnish and seal the shaft but outside of a little canuaba wax every now and then I just use a slightly damp cloth to wipe the cue down after a heavy use!

Richm
05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
wipe with mineral spirits then burnish with leather, works as good as any thing I have ever tried.

Frankenstroke
05-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Don't rub the shaft so hard as to generate heat from friction.

tjlmbklr
05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Without having to order/buy products from a billiard supply (other than I what I can get at Wal-mart), anyone have any homemade ways to keep the shaft slick and smooth. I'm not really talking about cleaning, such as with Majic eraser, but something to make it slide smooth after cleaning.

thanks, JED

Once you get the stick smooth and free of nicks & dings and burnished keep a piece of smooth leather and burnish it every now and then.

Sensation
05-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Carnauba Wax seems a good way to seal a shaft. I've been told you can spray some Teflon dry lubricant (from Dupont or else) on the waxed shaft.

Microfiber towel to wipe down between racks, sets.

Post #24
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=687899#post687899

3kushn
05-14-2007, 05:47 PM
1200 grit IMO only burnishes and maybe cleans surface grit. 600 grit won't take much wood off at all.. I use 600 then a piece of leather then rub the shaft with my hand. After you get the shaft where you like it do nothing but use it. The oil from your hands will put the best finish you can get.. I've been using Slip Stic about every 5 or 6 months simply because I believe it's good for the wood. Slip Stic is the only thing I've found that doesn't raise the grain and leaves the shaft extremely smooth. This and natural oil form your hand is the ultimate finish. Then just be careful with your cue so you never have to sand again.

JimS
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Okay, I got the leather and I got the brown paper bag. I assume I wrap the shaft and go up and down like crazy?

Correct. Burnish/polish the shaft to a nice bright finish. Wipe clean w/a towel, dry or damp, then dry it, then burnish it. I'm finding that's all that's needed if done frequently. I do it every time I play and several times while playing when it starts to feel a lil sticky etc.

Bastian
05-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I have done this when I did not know better, I will never use any kind of sand paper on my shaft again I do use a scrap of leather at times to burnish and seal the shaft but outside of a little canuaba wax every now and then I just use a slightly damp cloth to wipe the cue down after a heavy use!

So it's bad? I only started doing it on Predator's recommendation.. they say abrasives are bad, to use 1500 grit instead.. Is this not true or am I missing something here?

From predatorcues.com 'technique' section:

Stay away from abrasives
Do not use any abrasives on your shaft and stay away from green pads in Pool Rooms. Using abrasives is going to take the diameter of your shaft down and modify the shape of your taper. It may even void the warranty of your Predator shaft if the ferrule or wood diameter falls below 12.25mm for 314 shafts and 11.4mm for Z shafts. Very fine micro papers (1500 grit) or burnishing is about all you need.

ziskan1013
05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
i just want to clarify here a bit. a peice of leather rubbed along the shaft for maintenance. is this to be done with each use of the cue or periodically?

Eric H.
05-14-2007, 09:03 PM
How about Pledge? I read somewhere you should be able to put a light coat on just to keep it slick.

Eric

Mike in MN
05-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Yes, and no. Use long, light, even strokes. Don't go fast, it will generate heat and friction and those are two things we don't want. Be gentle, and the items you have should work fine. In my opinion, if you're paying decent money for a nice cue, you should allow yourself to "splurge" on some kind of product made specifically for your shaft rather than use something laying around your house. I use Q-Smooth (you can get it online for a little less than $8 I believe) and it works fantastic. You should definitely consider investing a small amount to keep your cue in great shape for a long time to come.

Sensation
05-14-2007, 09:25 PM
How about Pledge? I read somewhere you should be able to put a light coat on just to keep it slick.

Eric
Eventually going to get gunky. The problem with stickiness will be enhanced.

mr2_serious
05-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I, myself, use 2000 grit. I lightly run a small 2x3 inch piece once around the whole shaft. It is just enough to take off the dirt. When you look at the sandpaper you will notice the black smudge... if you rub too hard you will see white. White would be part of you shaft. Use with caution.

Ky Boy
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I clean with a damp cloth and wipe dry. Wax, then burnish. In between waxings I use a quarter sized amount of lighter fluid on a cloth to make it smooth. Just use a towel periodically when playing to keep your hands dry and your shaft free from dirt. I very rarely use hand powder as this makes a film on the shaft. Tip chalk can also build up on your shaft and hands. So, with that said I also like to wash my hands if I have been playing for say more than 4-5 hours.

Snapshot9
05-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I use 'Orange', Kroger product for cleaning, does good job.

I use Pledge for a smooth finish.

I use leather burnishers that I bought from Hal, who got them
from Jack Justis, the case maker, and they are excellent.

If shaft seems a little sticky, I grab the burnisher while out
playing and burnish it, and it is good-to-go.

I gave a few to some of my Pool buddies.

Tommy-D
05-15-2007, 02:53 AM
> I use a micro-fiber towel that I treated using a little white polishing compound,which is way up in about the 5-6000 grit range,and follow it up by rubbing Meguiar's #26 yellow carnauba wax into it. Once I get a shaft sanded and sealed like I want,I don't sand it again until I have to replace the tip. If it does get a little sticky,I use either a worn-out piece of 2000 or a slip of 3600 Micro-Mesh I've had since 1992. In cases of real humid conditions,I'll use denatured alcohol and clean all the finish off,down to bare but still slick wood,and use a fresh piece of 2000.

Sandpaper get clogged and some people think it's worn out. Others,like me,have found that once a piece of 600-up is totally loaded,if you keep going it gets "better". As the grit is getting smaller,or falling out,it becomes over time the equivalent of a fresh piece of a higher grit. If you work on a piece of 600 long enough that it gets all slick looking,it's basically the same as 2000. I had a 3"x4" piece of 2500 that was so great I used laminating plastic on the back of it to keep it from getting wrinkled up. I had that thing for 5 years. I lost it in Wal-Mart parking lot. Tommy D.

MrLucky
05-15-2007, 04:22 AM

Eric
and oils which are OK but even for furniture not the best way its just the "good OLE'" American Fast way! :p On a Cue these types of products leave a Oil sheen that actually besides making it easier to attract the chalk dust and other dirt they will only feel smooth due to the oil not the smoothness of the shaft !:) Carnauba Wax is a natural product (the real stuff not a wax that "contains" carnauba !) and will not leave a residue !

MrLucky
05-15-2007, 04:29 AM
So it's bad? I only started doing it on Predator's recommendation.. they say abrasives are bad, to use 1500 grit instead.. Is this not true or am I missing something here?

From predatorcues.com 'technique' section:
the high numerical "abrasives" LOL! any "grit" is an abrasive just a finer one! :eek: is taking some wood off albeit much less it is never the less taking it off over time the process is still reducing shaft size and removing finish however you look at it ! I just prefer to not do that by keeping my shaft clean and using a fine natural wax as explained! ;)

JimS
05-15-2007, 05:26 AM
the high numerical "abrasives" LOL! any "grit" is an abrasive just a finer one! :eek: is taking some wood off albeit much less it is never the less taking it off over time the process is still reducing shaft size and removing finish however you look at it ! I just prefer to not do that by keeping my shaft clean and using a fine natural wax as explained! ;)

I've read several times that the Cue Wiz doesn't take off wood but that's bull. The rough side dammed sure does take off wood. If you rub the cue with something rough and it shows white on that something rough then that's wood from the cue.. but guys will still swear that the Cue Wiz isn't abrasive. Nonsense.

I'm at the point where I use nothing on the cue. I've tried everything and I think that everything (except possibly lighter fluid) leaves a residue that gets sticky. I believe the best way to have a clean shaft is to wash your hands before and often during play, wipe the shaft w/a damp towel, dry, burnish and get it warm or hot (maybe a bad idea w/a glued shaft). No cleaners except Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, no wax's, no slick liquids... nothing. Just cleaned and burnished wood.

Irish634
05-15-2007, 05:38 AM

Kind of yes... but you aren't trying to start a fire. Get the shaft a little warm will suffice. It'll get smooth.

All I use for my shafts is:

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - 99c or less at walmart
2.5" x 4" Piece of leather - $2 in my local leather shop.
If I need to clean more than the magic eraser I have a bottle of McDermott's cleaner. But once it's gone, I probably won't buy any more (no need to).

Hope this helps.

i just want to clarify here a bit. a peice of leather rubbed along the shaft for maintenance. is this to be done with each use of the cue or periodically?

I would say either is ok. Once you get the shaft conditioned by burnishing often, I think you'll find you need to do it less and less. That was my case. All I do now for the most part is wipe it down after playing. I burnish as needed now.

Bastian
05-15-2007, 07:40 AM
You all make a lot of sense.. I think I'll stick with the leather and microfiber towels for cleaning and smoothing. For the magic eraser, I'll just use the 91% alcohol. The comments on heat make sense too, considering the amount of glue that must be needed for all those pie wedges in the Predator.

Thanks again to everyone for taking time to comment on this age-old topic, some of us are still learning something new every day!

SCCues
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM

thanks, JED
I like to go to the restroom and wash my hands just before I play and I keep the moist (not wet) paper towel that I dried my hands with to wipe my shaft. The damp part of the paper towel will remove the chalk and then use the dry part of the paper towel to burnish your shaft. Try this method and see if it helps.

jed1894
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.

JED

JimS
05-15-2007, 07:16 PM
I like to go to the restroom and wash my hands just before I play and I keep the moist (not wet) paper towel that I dried my hands with to wipe my shaft. The damp part of the paper towel will remove the chalk and then use the dry part of the paper towel to burnish your shaft. Try this method and see if it helps.

Ditto but I use a waffle weave microfiber towel to dry the shaft after wiping w/the damp paper towel. Then use both as needed while playing.