PDA

View Full Version : Grady Mathews has a BLOG!

Johnny Colaw
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Grady Mathews has a new blog - GRADY's PLACE (http://gradymathews.com/blog/)

Grady is new to blogging, but I think once he starts voicing some of his opinions or telling his road tales, that the interest will only grow. Randi has posted a quick summary from Grady's recent Exhibition Road Show. Please stop by and drop a comment or two and support this new online endeavor by the Professor.

I confess, I am his webmaster, and if I can get him updating that blog it will be less work for me working on the website! Grady is a true professional, and a fearsome gambler. Please help support the site by dropping in once in awhile.

Thanks! Keep your head down and follow through...

Johnny Colaw

Southpaw
05-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Make sure he puts the story on there about how he agreed to play a local in Athens,GA a set of back-pocket 9 ball and a set of regular 9 ball only to pull up after he won the back pocket set....Yeah thats right and I know for a fact because I was backing the kid.

Southpaw

CreeDo
05-15-2007, 07:58 PM
This'll be neat whenever Grady actually posts in it. I was in his regular room in Portland a long time ago and heard him chat about some pretty hair-raising stuff at the counter. I think it made me blush =)

Grady
05-16-2007, 05:41 AM
Southpaw, that's an outright lie. I only agreed to play the backpocket set. Why didn't, if you were staking the kid, mention that it took me two years to collect that paltry $500 bet. Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with people like you!!!

uwate
05-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Bookmarked...thanks for the heads up on that.

Southpaw....why didnt you guys post it up?

JackUGA
05-16-2007, 06:07 AM
it is true, Southpaw is right, i was there also. the reason it took 2 years to collect the money is because Grady agreed on 2 sets, and then backed out, after he won the first set of backpocket 9ball. then he had some goon strong arm the kid to get the money.

uwate
05-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Sounds to me like there are two sides to this story.

If you didnt post it up, I am not sure you guys should be slamming Grady over this on a public forum anonymously. Everyone knows who Grady is...who are you guys?

Grady
05-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Now there are two gentlemen saying that I agreed to play two sets. I don't know eother one of them and don't remember speaking to anybody except Bruce. I have, for more than 40 years honored every gambling thing I said I would do. Simply stated, again, I only agreed to play one set.
This is a classic case where it's often bad business to deal with mid-level backers. They often make mistakes and are prone to cause a person trouble.
Yes, I did call in a favor to collect my money. So what? Ok, I'm through with this. I really would like to focus on only positive things in my life.

SCCues
05-16-2007, 06:45 AM
That's an interesting idea having a pool related Blog. I'll be looking forward to reading some of Grady's stories.

Grady
05-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Look, Southpaw and anyone else who's interested in this sort of thing: In the hope that we could even be friends, isn't it much more likely that Bruce made the mistake than me? I mean, I hope he's he's got his life together but at the time he was a space cadet and had substance problems.
Secondly, even thoiugh I only agreed to play the first set, I had every intention of playing a second. Why wouldn't I, since I would have had a free shot to win $1,000, BUT I WAITED and I waited and no payment was forthcoming for the first set. I'm used to paying off immediately after any set is over.
And if there were some misunderstanding about agreed upon sets, stiffing me for the first set wasn't the right thing to do.

JAM
05-16-2007, 07:49 AM
I have limited experience in seeing Grady Mathews engage in gambling-related activities, though I've been a witness as well as personally involved in several.

I don't particularly agree with Grady Mathews, et al., on a variety of topics. However, I feel compelled to state that I have never seen him back down from a commitment when it comes to a game of stakes -- never. If anything, he's usually the one pushing for the action to happen.

That's a very nice blog, Grady. Hopefully, this thread will return to the Grady blog subject and move on from this other nonsense.

JAM

Grady
05-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Thank you, Jenny. Keith and I have pretty much made up, which makes both of us happy.

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Southpaw, that's an outright lie. I only agreed to play the backpocket set. Why didn't, if you were staking the kid, mention that it took me two years to collect that paltry $500 bet. Honestly, I don't know what's wrong with people like you!!!

You did agree to play both sets. There were 25 or 30 people sitting there watching. And as for how long it took you to collect, once you pulled up and we were arguing about playing the other set you said "just keep it then" and left. Then you saw the kid later in Atlanta at Mr Cues and cornered him and told him to "pay or else there are people here with me that can get it". I wish I would have been there when you told this kid that!

Southpaw

Andrew Manning
05-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Look, Southpaw and anyone else who's interested in this sort of thing: In the hope that we could even be friends, isn't it much more likely that Bruce made the mistake than me? I mean, I hope he's he's got his life together but at the time he was a space cadet and had substance problems.
Secondly, even thoiugh I only agreed to play the first set, I had every intention of playing a second. Why wouldn't I, since I would have had a free shot to win $1,000, BUT I WAITED and I waited and no payment was forthcoming for the first set. I'm used to paying off immediately after any set is over.
And if there were some misunderstanding about agreed upon sets, stiffing me for the first set wasn't the right thing to do.

A very well-reasoned response to a sort of out-of-the-blue attack. Grady should have been paid after the first set, whether or not there was going to be another. If he didn't get paid after the first set, why would he be willing to play a second? I don't gamble much, but I would never play somebody a set for a stake matching the amount they just stiffed me for. Sounds a lot to me like he didn't have the money, and that's why it was so important they play that other set, so he could maybe break even and not get caught firing air barrels.

-Andrew

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:06 AM

Yeah he was a "space cadet"! He had just gotten finished roasting Marcus Chamat playing even.....thats right. Ask Helena and Monica how much of a "spce cadet" he was, they brought Marcus to Athens.

Southpaw

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Like I said, there were 25-30 other people there including the owner that knows Im telling the truth about this....and Grady knows it too.

Southpaw

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
it is true, Southpaw is right, i was there also. the reason it took 2 years to collect the money is because Grady agreed on 2 sets, and then backed out, after he won the first set of backpocket 9ball. then he had some goon strong arm the kid to get the money.

Im not sure who you are Jack, but thank you for your honesty.

Southpaw

bomber
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Southpaw,

This is not the time or the place to do this. There is no proof on either side of this issue. All you are doing is stirring up sh#t. You should have posted up and all would be ok. Then, if Grady quit ahead after agreeing to play two sets, you have a legitimate complaint.

Also, by posting this kind of message opens yourself up to critiscm from posters like me. If you dont want it then dont post junk like this on a public forum. If you have beef with Grady then settle like big boys.

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Southpaw,

This is not the time or the place to do this. There is no proof on either side of this issue. All you are doing is stirring up sh#t. You should have posted up and all would be ok. Then, if Grady quit ahead after agreeing to play two sets, you have a legitimate complaint.

Also, by posting this kind of message opens yourself up to critiscm from posters like me. If you dont want it then dont post junk like this on a public forum. If you have beef with Grady then settle like big boys.

This is an open public forum and you are entitled to your opinion. But I was there and it was wrong of Grady who is a monument to the sport to pull this crap on a young kid just trying to making a living playing pool. You can criticize me all you want. It doesnt change the truth!!

Southpaw

uwate
05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
This seems to be common on AZB. Players cannot come on here without anonymous posters slamming them. Look at the John Hager Jr/Incardona thread and there is another anonymous poster saying that Hager is a cokehead. You think Hager Jr. or Hager Sr will want to be on here discussing pool?

Everyone has skeletons in their closet and yet this board is setup so that known players get slammed by unknown ball bangers.

uwate
05-16-2007, 09:24 AM
This is an open public forum and you are entitled to your opinion. But I was there and it was wrong of Grady who is a monument to the sport to pull this crap on a young kid just trying to making a living playing pool. You can criticize me all you want. It doesnt change the truth!!

Southpaw

If this "young kid" beat Chamat, then he isnt some kind of innocent pool lamb. Did he get that good without airballing someone? Maybe he backed the dump truck up on a few of his prior stakehorses?

You want to bring up dirt on anyone, why dont you start by telling everyone your real name and where you live and whether your life is so clean and without any bad deeds?

rack'em zach'em
05-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Southpaw,

Just drop it....take it up with someone who cares

Rack'em

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
If this "young kid" beat Chamat, then he isnt some kind of innocent pool lamb. Did he get that good without airballing someone? Maybe he backed the dump truck up on a few of his prior stakehorses?

You want to bring up dirt on anyone, why dont you start by telling everyone your real name and where you live and whether your life is so clean and without any bad deeds?

Tell ya what....You ask Johnny Archer, Stevie Moore, Tony Watson, Mike Gulyassy,Monica and Helena or ANYONE else that can play serious pool in Georgia or South Carolina if Bruce Berrong or anyone he has ever had backing him has EVER airballed anyone. If you find 1 that can say yes, other than this incident with Grady, then you get $1000.

Southpaw

uwate
05-16-2007, 09:33 AM
But we cant ask anyone about you right? oh thats right you prefer to be anonymous. You should stop before you look like an even bigger jackass.

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:35 AM
But we cant ask anyone about you right? oh thats right you prefer to be anonymous. You should stop before you look like an even bigger jackass.

Not up for the challenge...I understand. But you just ask John Schmidt, whom I consider to be the epitome of class and very reputable, if me or anyone else who backs Bruce would ever air ball anyone.

Southpaw

corvette1340
05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Hey Grady, would you care to play the "space cadet" some right now? He doesn't even play anymore, but we can post $10,000 and invite everyone here on AZ to attend the place of YOUR choice to play. I'm not starting any more crap, just trying to make a game. We can even let Jay or someone of your choice hold the money. Let me know.

corvette1340
05-16-2007, 09:51 AM

lol, obviously you don't know Bruce. He has never dumped anyone or done any of the shady things that 99% of the pool world expects from players. In fact, there are 3 players that I would trust with my money and any game they chose to be on the square, Bruce, Stevie, and Brian White. In the times I've spent on the golf course and out with Corey I would probably afford him this also until he proved me wrong.

Grady
05-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Look, Southpaw, I apologize for anything I may have said or done to offend you. How about we just stay out of each other's business from now on?
Mr. Wilson, if you're reading these posts, how about a little protection? I knew it would come to this guy's not so subtle "muscling". All I want to do is post and have a good time, telling the truth as I've always done.

uwate
05-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Not up for the challenge...I understand. But you just ask John Schmidt, whom I consider to be the epitome of class and very reputable, if me or anyone else who backs Bruce would ever air ball anyone.

Southpaw
Yeah I will make the check out to "Southpaw" address "cyberspace" pullease

No I dont think you do understand. My point was not that Bruce Berrong is of bad character...hell I didnt even know who you all were talking about until you named him, and I certainly wasnt trying to say that Berrong airballs people. My point is that it is classless to badmouth players who are not afraid to identify themselves, while you sit in anonymity.

Btw..Berrong from what I hear has the nuts in this game. Maybe your just hot because Grady Mathews outmoved Southpaw?

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Fine Grady....it will never be mentioned again. You got the money for the 1 set that you did play and I guess thats all that matters. But you know how it all went down and you know that you were never in a situation to get aired! We just wanted to play the game that we were told we could play. Does it sound smart for Bruce to agree to play you a set of backpocket 9 ball and not have the condition to want to play the regular 9 ball set?? He doesnt even play one pocket so to just play your game would have been foolish. And Mr. Colaw, I apologize to you sir for hijacking your thread.

Southpaw

Fast Lenny
05-16-2007, 12:10 PM
So they were "locked in" for 2 sets?If your locked you have to play them unless its a mutual agreement to quit.I played a guy last night and he said we would play 3,we play one and he quit,i was alittle pissed but for the spare change we were playing for it wasnt worth saying anything.:cool:

manwon
05-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Grady Mathews has a new blog - GRADY's PLACE (http://gradymathews.com/blog/)

Grady is new to blogging, but I think once he starts voicing some of his opinions or telling his road tales, that the interest will only grow. Randi has posted a quick summary from Grady's recent Exhibition Road Show. Please stop by and drop a comment or two and support this new online endeavor by the Professor.

I confess, I am his webmaster, and if I can get him updating that blog it will be less work for me working on the website! Grady is a true professional, and a fearsome gambler. Please help support the site by dropping in once in awhile.

Thanks! Keep your head down and follow through...

Johnny Colaw

Hello Johnny, this is a great site, and I completely agree with the following statement (Grady is a true professional, and a fearsome gambler. Please help support the site by dropping in once in awhile.)

I recently had Grady, and his lovely wife Randi put on his pool seminar on pools history at my pool hall in Lakewood, Washington. The event was total success, my customers were very happy with this gentleman's presentation.

The knowledge all gained from the encounter was completely priceless. I hope this new site is a success, and I will personally encourage people to visit it.

Thanks for posting this tread, and if I can help any further please contact me or have have Grady and Randi contact me they have all my information.

Have a great day!!!!!

Johnny Colaw
05-16-2007, 12:54 PM
How interesting. I post that Grady Mathews has a blog, and the thread gets hit with an anonymous drive-by - shot in the back no less!

Apology accepted for hijacking the thread "Southpaw" - but not for hiding behind your handle to slam my good friend Grady Mathews, who is a fine person and an honest gambler. Identify yourself or shut up your unsubstantiated whining. A lot of people talk crap about Grady, but I have yet to see it backed up. So excuse me as I reject your version of events. He is my personal friend and I stand by him. Why would he duck a 2nd match after winning the first one? fear? LOL! Not collecting the first bet makes far more sense. Even people that do not like Grady can figure that out.

You evaded every question as to "who are you?". Everyone knows you pay when you lose. Anybody here not agree with that? If the response is - I am not paying until you play me another match - that is air-barrel BS. I am from little old Wichita, Kansas, and even there that just don't fly.

Then criticizing Grady for leaning on him to get his $500 - yeah that speaks loads for the character of the loser that let Grady walk away without his money. LOSER behavior. Table skills have nothing to do with moral issues, like paying your debts.

BACK TO THE BLOG, PLEASE!

Cue: Ray Schuler original, billiards taper
Years playing: 46
Favorite game: 12 foot Snooker

SEMPER FIDELIS

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
How interesting. I post that Grady Mathews has a blog, and the thread gets hit with an anonymous drive-by - shot in the back no less!

Apology accepted for hijacking the thread "Southpaw" - but not for hiding behind your handle to slam my good friend Grady Mathews, who is a fine person and an honest gambler. Identify yourself or shut up your unsubstantiated whining. A lot of people talk crap about Grady, but I have yet to see it backed up. So excuse me as I reject your version of events. He is my personal friend and I stand by him. Why would he duck a 2nd match after winning the first one? fear? LOL! Not collecting the first bet makes far more sense. Even people that do not like Grady can figure that out.

You evaded every question as to "who are you?". Everyone knows you pay when you lose. Anybody here not agree with that? If the response is - I am not paying until you play me another match - that is air-barrel BS. I am from little old Wichita, Kansas, and even there that just don't fly.

Then criticizing Grady for leaning on him to get his $500 - yeah that speaks loads for the character of the loser that let Grady walk away without his money. LOSER behavior. Table skills have nothing to do with moral issues, like paying your debts.

BACK TO THE BLOG, PLEASE!

SEMPER FIDELIS

Like I said I was there.....Why would a young 9 ball player that doesnt play any one pocket play a game of backpocket 9 ball without agreeing to play a second set of regular 9 ball???? Think about it....the second set was agreed upon to be played and it didnt get played, bottom line. And Grady knew he couldnt win playing a regular set of 9 ball. I understand you standing up for your friend so you have to understand that I am/ was doing the same for my friend. I have put Bruce in the box against alot of players like Chamat, Scott Rabun, and many others that can verify that the funds were there and available. And one last note about this then I am finished with it....Bruce had the money in his hand handing to Grady when he said "just keep it then" and left.

Southpaw

Johnny Colaw
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Thank you for the kind words Craig. If I am ever in the Tacoma area, I will be sure to drop in. Sounds like you run a great poolhall.

I first met Grady by hosting one of his Pool Clinics in Kansas City. I was in rec.sports.billiard talking smack, and got an email asking if I was interested in hosting a clinic. I was very impressed by the Clinic. Like you said, everyone in attendance derived great benefit from The Professor.

A year later, I found myself in Columbia, SC, and got in touch with Grady. I had no money for lessons, and am a nobody. Yet this 4 Time World Champion invited me into his home, and let me come over and practice with him in his garage for a year. A dream come true for this Wichita home-boy. At the time, Grady mainly kicked my butt, yet I still improved my game just by getting smacked around on the green felt. Grady has promised me the next time I come around, that he will actually give me some training, instead of just sparring. I cannot wait for that opportunity to come true. He also told me that he usually charges for his time - so how lucky was that for me?

In gratitude, I built gradymathews.com and support it no charge. Just added the Blog yesterday. All because a World Champion Pool Player named Grady Mathews reached out to a poor nobody like me and did not ask a dime for our year spent practicing together. He is a class act, and he knows his stuff. I am proud to call him my friend.

Thanks again for your kind words about this fine gentleman.

Johnny Colaw

FYI - I am currently working in Denver, if anyone there wants to knock some balls around. I will be attending some free Tom Ross pool clinics soon, I hope.

SEMPER FIDELIS

manwon
05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Tell ya what....You ask Johnny Archer, Stevie Moore, Tony Watson, Mike Gulyassy,Monica and Helena or ANYONE else that can play serious pool in Georgia or South Carolina if Bruce Berrong or anyone he has ever had backing him has EVER airballed anyone. If you find 1 that can say yes, other than this incident with Grady, then you get $1000.

Southpaw

Dude I think you need to chill, you made the following statement (if Bruce Berrong or anyone he has ever had backing him has EVER airballed anyone. If you find 1 that can say yes, other than this incident with Grady, then you get $1000.) Now where I come from, once is all it takes, no matter the situation, there will never be a second time.;) So relax, take a deep breath, and stick you head out the nearest window and scream!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Because people on this forum are looking at you, just like the homeless guy standing on the street corner telling everyone that the world is coming to an end.:D

So do not use excuses or make a fuss when you get caught red handed firing blanks and you are really busted.:rolleyes:

Have a great day, and remember if you are going to play, you have to pay.:p

Southpaw
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Dude I think you need to chill, you made the following statement (if Bruce Berrong or anyone he has ever had backing him has EVER airballed anyone. If you find 1 that can say yes, other than this incident with Grady, then you get $1000.) Now where I come from, once is all it takes, no matter the situation, there will never be a second time.;) So relax, take a deep breath, and stick you head out the nearest window and scream!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Because people on this forum are looking at you, just like the homeless guy standing on the street corner telling everyone that the world is coming to an end.:D

So do not use excuses or make a fuss when you get caught red handed firing blanks and you are really busted.:rolleyes:

Blanks...thats cute.

Southpaw

Johnny Colaw
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Like I said I was there.....Why would a young 9 ball player that doesnt play any one pocket play a game of backpocket 9 ball without agreeing to play a second set of regular 9 ball???? Think about it....the second set was agreed upon to be played and it didnt get played, bottom line. And Grady knew he couldnt win playing a regular set of 9 ball.

LOL! I am through with this "unsubstantiated beef" from an anonymous drive-by, except to point out the obvious. The insinuation that Grady Mathews was afraid to play a second set is beyond ridiculous. What exactly did he have to lose? The money not paid? When was the money held out, when the door slammed? I don't know you SouthPaw, heck apparently nobody does, but even if everything you say is true, this is the wrong way to deal with it. Post it up, use your real name, and then everyone can pile on and set it straight.

nuff said....

corvette1340
05-16-2007, 01:21 PM

lol, I love when people make statements on here and they have no idea what they are talking about. You weren't there and you didn't see Bruce with the money in hand for Grady and him say "just forget about it", like me and 20 or 30 more people were. The fact is that Grady pulled up on an agreed upon bet and after he won his strong game he decided that he had no chance at the other set of straight nine ball and wanted to quit winner. Now, if you want to come to the Atlanta area with Grady or any other stiff and see who has the most money and gamble then lets eat, otherwise good day.

manwon
05-16-2007, 01:26 PM
So they were "locked in" for 2 sets?If your locked you have to play them unless its a mutual agreement to quit.I played a guy last night and he said we would play 3,we play one and he quit,i was alittle pissed but for the spare change we were playing for it wasnt worth saying anything.:cool:

Oh, so you would continue to play even when the your oponent could not pay for the first set you won. Are you crazy:confused: ? I mean letting a player, that first of all is being backed, by a backer who is broke, play you another set is nothing more than letting this individual gamble with you with your own money.

Now who in their right mine will do that, if you find someone, I want that action!!!!!!!

bruin70
05-16-2007, 01:26 PM
i thought azb was grady's blog site.

PoolSharkAllen
05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
FYI - I am currently working in Denver, if anyone there wants to knock some balls around. I will be attending some free Tom Ross pool clinics soon, I hope.
Hey Johny, We may bump into each other sometime at the Sky Lark as I'm a regular lately at Tom's free clinics too.

Johnny Colaw
05-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Allen. Maybe I will see you there next week. I am traveling to KC this week to see the family. I have not been to the Sky Lark yet, but I know Tom's reputation as an instructor and am eager to see what I can pick up.

Grady
05-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks, guys, for having my back. You know what's ridiculous about this? I lost $14,000 to Cliff in two hours, $30,000 to Alex in one set, these betting every dollar of my own money. To have to defend myself against this recent drivel is really nuts.
I also borrowed $8,000 this year to gamble with. I lost every penny of it. Rather than complain I decided to do an ambitious tour and turn in some good work and maybe even play myself into shape. I've done this, I think.
Over the years, I usually had to play good players their best game, on their home equipment. If I lost to a "Bruce" of the billiard community playing 9 Ball, they never would play me One Pocket. So at over 60 years old, playing young champions is usually a bad deal for the Gradys of pooldom, especially if they are getting staked. AND if an older guy like me gets into an argument or debate over something the other side never even admits that I might be right.
So again, thanks more than I can put into words. I'll be telling some stories later,too. Thanks.

Johnnyt
05-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I've been on this forum for five years. I can't begin to count how many pro's were run off by this kind od BS that doesn't belong on here. Most of the ones that were run off were willing to spend some time here to give tips and share what they know. It's a damn shame. Johnnyt

manwon
05-16-2007, 03:55 PM
lol, I love when people make statements on here and they have no idea what they are talking about. You weren't there and you didn't see Bruce with the money in hand for Grady and him say "just forget about it", like me and 20 or 30 more people were. The fact is that Grady pulled up on an agreed upon bet and after he won his strong game he decided that he had no chance at the other set of straight nine ball and wanted to quit winner. Now, if you want to come to the Atlanta area with Grady or any other stiff and see who has the most money and gamble then lets eat, otherwise good day.

I love it too Sweet Heart, there is always more than one side to any story. The next time I go home to Ludowici, GA to visit relatives maybe you could come down and visit.

By the way, there is a good river you could go rafting on, you may like it, they play Banjo's!!!!!!!:D

Have a great day!!

JimmyB500
05-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Backpocket 9ball is played by running out all of the balls just like in nine ball except you play the nine in an upper corner up where you break the balls from, right? So if Grady won a set of this for five would he just walk out the door with nothing or shoot a set of nine ball to win a thousand. He knew all the time if he loses every game in the second set he still walks out the same way. Yet he definitly left and told him to keep the money?!! Sounds like a misunderstanding to me.

I feel like if I beat someone playing backpocket, that I have a pretty good chance to beat them playing regular nineball. I know it's not like going from nineball to one pocket. I may be way off base with my thinking but I know that if I said that I would play a set of each, and then WON the first set, I would damm sure go ahead and play the other way, knowing the worst I could do is break even. Grady has never been known to do anything like this has he? Sounds like a misunderstanding to me.....

Russ Chewning
05-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah.. It just doesn't make sense the dude was gonna give Grady the $500.00, Grady said "Keep it.", and then had someone strong arm the guy for it later.

I think MUCH more likely is that Grady wanted to get paid for the first set, the other guy said "Let's just play the second set, before we pay up.", and Grady started smelling air barrel. Grady says he's not playing the second set until he gets paid.. The other guy starts acting like Grady is backing out of the second set.. Grady decided not to push the issue, as he was on the road by himself. He knew he'd get his money "one way or the other."

It is a moot point "how many times Bruce has/has not stiffed people". Tony Ruberto had probably never stolen $10,000+ from somebody, either, but there's a first time for everything.

What it comes down to is (young gun) versus (old gun with spotless gambling reputation). In that situation, I'm gonna side with the old gun, every single stinking rotten time. Why? Because of the earned reputation.

Russ

jay helfert
05-16-2007, 10:58 PM
I just read this entire thread and I am troubled by one thing. If the two players "agreed" to play two sets, why wasn't the $1,000 posted in advance?
That would be customary in most gambling situations where the players are not old and familiar rivals.

That way after the two sets, either one player gets the 2K, or they both take their money back. Pretty simple formula and it has worked fairly well for decades, unless you're dealing with outlaws. Then you've got no chance anyway, and you should have known better than to be in the spot.

Other than that one question, it's none of my business. I hesitated to even ask this obvious question, to me anyway. I know if I put someone in the box for two sets at 500 each, the money would be up! I'd hate to win the two sets and get stiffed.

catscradle
05-17-2007, 04:06 AM
This seems to be common on AZB. Players cannot come on here without anonymous posters slamming them...
I agree...
I don't know beans about this particular transaction. However, Grady comes on this forum in the open, if somebody is going to attack him, whether the attack is founded or unfounded, they should come out from behind their screen name.

Grady
05-17-2007, 05:50 AM
The reason I didn't put up is because I'm playing in a good friend of mine's place and a set for $500 has always been a very small bet for me and this kid had been robbing all the locals. I mean, I just didn't dream I might get stiffed.
Since I'm at it let me add this to the discussion. These guys keep saying there were 25 or 30 people who heard me say I'd play two sets. An absolute falsehood. What must have happened is Bruce said in front of these folks that I had comitted to two sets.
To have Southpaw suggest that I somehow cheated to get out of playing Bruce a second set is just ridiculous.
If Southpaw thinks Bruce is such a great player, he can make a stakehorse out of me. But let's make it a little more equitable. Larry Nevel or Shane Van Boeing in a neutral court. No? I didn't think so. Well, I've had enough of this. I have no more to say on this subject.

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Yeah.. It just doesn't make sense the dude was gonna give Grady the $500.00, Grady said "Keep it.", and then had someone strong arm the guy for it later.

I think MUCH more likely is that Grady wanted to get paid for the first set, the other guy said "Let's just play the second set, before we pay up.", and Grady started smelling air barrel. Grady says he's not playing the second set until he gets paid.. The other guy starts acting like Grady is backing out of the second set.. Grady decided not to push the issue, as he was on the road by himself. He knew he'd get his money "one way or the other."

It is a moot point "how many times Bruce has/has not stiffed people". Tony Ruberto had probably never stolen $10,000+ from somebody, either, but there's a first time for everything.

What it comes down to is (young gun) versus (old gun with spotless gambling reputation). In that situation, I'm gonna side with the old gun, every single stinking rotten time. Why? Because of the earned reputation.

Russ

Russ,
I usually agree with most of what you have to say on here, but on this one you are way off. The fact of the matter is that anyone that has ever came through Athens or Atlanta and made a game with Bruce or Stevie or anyone else. They have always been allowed to play for whatever they can bear and have always been paid in full. This includes Nick Varner, Doug Young, Mike Coltrain, Scott Rabun, Danny Basavich, Jimmy Wales, The Somanski Brothers, Marcus Schamat, Ronnie Alcano, John Hager, Jr., Mark Gregory, Chris Bartrum, Paul Song, Brian Butler, and I'm sure I'm forgetting countless others over the years. So, for you to express your thought on "what you think happened in the Grady incident" is just silly when you have no idea what you are talking about. I would think that AZ might want the opinions of someone closer to both parties than Russ Chewning. So ask Shannon Daulton or Corey Deuel if they think Bruce or anyone associated with Bruce would air Grady.

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 06:37 AM
The reason I didn't put up is because I'm playing in a good friend of mine's place and a set for $500 has always been a very small bet for me and this kid had been robbing all the locals. I mean, I just didn't dream I might get stiffed.
Since I'm at it let me add this to the discussion. These guys keep saying there were 25 or 30 people who heard me say I'd play two sets. An absolute falsehood. What must have happened is Bruce said in front of these folks that I had comitted to two sets.
To have Southpaw suggest that I somehow cheated to get out of playing Bruce a second set is just ridiculous.
If Southpaw thinks Bruce is such a great player, he can make a stakehorse out of me. But let's make it a little more equitable. Larry Nevel or Shane Van Boeing in a neutral court. No? I didn't think so. Well, I've had enough of this. I have no more to say on this subject.

How about this proposal Grady. Bruce will play Larry or Shane a set of 8 ahead nine ball for $5000 and then you a set of 8 ahead 9 ball for $5000.
The $10,000 will be posted and no pulling up after the first set.

Southpaw
05-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Well we didnt think posting was necessary since we were playing someone that was supposed to be reputable, boy were we wrong. And I was right there when the agreement of 2 sets was decided so thats not hear-say. And the funny thing is, yes there were 25 or 30 people there and a few have spoken up, one even PM'd me and said he saw it too but didnt want to get involved, and said they saw it happen just like i said. So why hasnt anyone that was wathcing a legend of the game and some local kid play, come on here and say they were there and thats not the way it happened???? And as for Bruce playing Larry or Shane....he doesnt even hardly play anymore, but you have the exact same game that you didnt finish with him and we will POST UP $5000 per set. But it will be very hard for you to worm your way out this time!

Southpaw

gulfportdoc
05-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Grady, you have a great looking blog site! I'll bookmark it, and refer to it often. You gave a nice travelogue, Randi! And Johnny, that was a real classy thing for you to do.

Art "Doc" Tripp

Terry Ardeno
05-17-2007, 06:55 AM
I have not been on AZB a lot this week and just saw this thread.

For anybody to come on here and publically try to besmirch a man and champion of Grady Mathew's stature is stupid. I look at this like this; when somebody comes on here and tries bashing one of these pros for something that supposedly was done some time ago, it is that posters attempt to gain some feeling of importance and significance, even if it's only in their mind and for a very short time. It makes them feel very important because they have some fleeting attention. And they fail to care that what they got in momentary attention they've lost 10 fold that amount of respect from many of their fellow posters.

I'm on Grady's side 100%. More if that were possible. BUT, even if he did pull up...SO WHAT??????? "Bruce" never had that happen before? He never had to do that himself, ever? It so distraught him that he gave up pool and is still in counseling? And yet somebody who needs to "break a scoop!!!" and put down an all time great feels compelled to keep it going even when his fellow posters think it's in poor taste and even worse judgement. What do you want? Should Grady be barred forever from pool? How about a public flogging? A jail senetnce? What would make you happy? What would make you get over it? Never mind, we don't care. Grow up.

Johnny Colaw
05-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Grady, you have a great looking blog site! I'll bookmark it, and refer to it often. You gave a nice travelogue, Randi! And Johnny, that was a real classy thing for you to do.

Art "Doc" Tripp

Thanks, Doc. I appreciate the kinds words and the compliments on the site.

I sincerely believe Grady has a rare opportunity to seize a high percentage of pool/billiards internet traffic with his new blog. There are many thousands of blogs, but none that offer the unique information that an old pro like Grady has. His road tales are very colorful and he knew so many old-time players that nobody talks about much these days. Not to mention sharing his wealth of knowledge about the skills of the sport itself.

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 07:16 AM
I have not been on AZB a lot this week and just saw this thread.

For anybody to come on here and publically try to besmirch a man and champion of Grady Mathew's stature is stupid. I look at this like this; when somebody comes on here and tries bashing one of these pros for something that supposedly was done some time ago, it is that posters attempt to gain some feeling of importance and significance, even if it's only in their mind and for a very short time. It makes them feel very important because they have some fleeting attention. And they fail to care that what they got in momentary attention they've lost 10 fold that amount of respect from many of their fellow posters.

I'm on Grady's side 100%. More if that were possible. BUT, even if he did pull up...SO WHAT??????? "Bruce" never had that happen before? He never had to do that himself, ever? It so distraught him that he gave up pool and is still in counseling? And yet somebody who needs to "break a scoop!!!" and put down an all time great feels compelled to keep it going even when his fellow posters think it's in poor taste and even worse judgement. What do you want? Should Grady be barred forever from pool? How about a public flogging? A jail senetnce? What would make you happy? What would make you get over it? Never mind, we don't care. Grow up.

lol, obviously you don't gamble very much do you? The two sets were agreed upon and that is "SO WHAT".
I personally wouldn't have given Grady a damn dime, but Bruce wanted to pay anyway. If the terms of the game are defined and then one party renegs on the given terms then the game is null and void IMO. By your way of thinking, I assume it would have been ok if they would have played the first set of regular nine ball and Bruce win and then pull up and want the money?

Johnny Colaw
05-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Well we didnt think posting was necessary since we were playing someone that was supposed to be reputable, boy were we wrong. And I was right there when the agreement of 2 sets was decided so thats not hear-say. And the funny thing is, yes there were 25 or 30 people there and a few have spoken up, one even PM'd me and said he saw it too but didnt want to get involved, and said they saw it happen just like i said. So why hasnt anyone that was wathcing a legend of the game and some local kid play, come on here and say they were there and thats not the way it happened???? And as for Bruce playing Larry or Shane....he doesnt even hardly play anymore, but you have the exact same game that you didnt finish with him and we will POST UP $5000 per set. But it will be very hard for you to worm your way out this time!

Southpaw

Gee, Lefty. You apologized for hijacking my thread but you won't shut up, will you? You have been called out to identify yourself, but still you cower in the shadows and throw your little rocks at a world champion like a back-shooting anonymous coward. Man up and say who you are, or crawl back under your rock and let this thread be about Grady's new blog. No wonder so many pros give up on posting here, with such easy cheap shots from nobodys.

Southpaw
05-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Gee, Lefty. You apologized for hijacking my thread but you won't shut up, will you? You have been called out to identify yourself, but still you cower in the shadows and throw your little rocks at a world champion like a back-shooting anonymous coward. Man up and say who you are, or crawl back under your rock and let this thread be about Grady's new blog. No wonder so many pros give up on posting here, with such easy cheap shots from nobodys.

Who I am really isnt important. I am just someone that backed a local to play a legend of the game and didnt get the chance to play the complete game that was agreed upon. As for cheap shots....as soon as 1 single person comes on here and says they were there and this isnt the way it happened, then you can accuse me of cheap shots. Until then, or until Grady admits the truth, you are just speculating while I am stating facts. And he still has the same game for a posted $5000/ set and you can come with him and bet too if you want to.

Southpaw

uwate
05-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Tony Ruberto had probably never stolen $10,000+ from somebody, either, but there's a first time for everything.

Russ, you should be careful propagating unsubstantiated claims of thievery like this. I have heard from a number of sources that there is alot to this particular story that has not been told. Not saying that it did or did not happen, just saying that unless you saw it with your own two eyes, you shouldnt state it like its a fact.

Terry Ardeno
05-17-2007, 07:43 AM
lol, obviously you don't gamble very much do you? The two sets were agreed upon and that is "SO WHAT".
I personally wouldn't have given Grady a damn dime, but Bruce wanted to pay anyway. If the terms of the game are defined and then one party renegs on the given terms then the game is null and void IMO. By your way of thinking, I assume it would have been ok if they would have played the first set of regular nine ball and Bruce win and then pull up and want the money?

corvette1340,
Since you can't understand what I'm saying, let's try it this way...The "so what" means "Oh well" or better yet, "so what", as in of all the things we have to face in life such as the death of people we love, job problems, health issues, etc this pales on the "my life is ruined" list. Now do you get it? Not that pulling up is ok, not that somebody would not be p@##%$ off if it did happen to them, only like to so let it consume you or that anybody is so eteranlly messed up over this is stupid. How about saying it this way (and I'm sure this will go over like an anvil)...let's say for the sake of argument (something you seem to enjoy) that some pool players with an affinity for gambling also like to partake in a little drinking and then driiving drunk or smoking crack or a doobie. When they get caught, they want nothing to happen to them. "Everybody does it, so what" etc. When some people break the law, they want no consequences. BUT, when somebody else does something that they feel broke THEIR law or code, then nothing short of the death penalty is in order. Get the point? So, IF he was denied the chance to play a 2nd set of pool, life as we all know it is over? THAT'S what you guys are acting like.

!Smorgass Bored
05-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Grady sez:
Well, I've had enough of this. I have no more to say on this subject.

Now, THAT bets. Post it up.
Doug
( tush hog )

Southpaw
05-17-2007, 07:48 AM
corvette1340,
Since you can't understand what I'm saying, let's try it this way...The "so what" means "Oh well" or better yet, "so what", as in of all the things we have to face in life such as the death of people we love, job problems, health issues, etc this pales on the "my life is ruined" list. Now do you get it? Not that pulling up is ok, not that somebody would not be p@##%$ off if it did happen to them, only like to so let it consume you or that anybody is so eteranlly messed up over this is stupid. How about saying it this way (and I'm sure this will go over like an anvil)...let's say for the sake of argument (something you seem to enjoy) that some pool players with an affinity for gambling also like to partake in a little drinking and then driiving drunk or smoking crack or a doobie. When they get caught, they want nothing to happen to them. "Everybody does it, so what" etc. When some people break the law, they want no consequences. BUT, when somebody else does something that they feel broke THEIR law or code, then nothing short of the death penalty is in order. Get the point? So, IF he was denied the chance to play a 2nd set of pool, life as we all know it is over? THAT'S what you guys are acting like.

Hate to break it to you but this incident isnt what turned Bruce away from pool. It was getting robbed at gun point on the road after a score. Treachery consumes this sport sadly.......and thats why Grady will never admit the truth, because some may put him in that category if he does.

Southpaw

Terry Ardeno
05-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Grady sez:
Well, I've had enough of this. I have no more to say on this subject.

Now, THAT bets. Post it up.
Doug
( tush hog )

Agreed.

And to quote a famous American with welt marks all over him "Can't we all just get along?" :)

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 07:54 AM
corvette1340,

You are probably right. There are more important things to worry about, but since I have a job that pays $150,000 a year where I sit at my desk and play internet poker all day, a beautiful wife and a beautiful month old daughter, I guess this is all I really have to argue about. I am still right and Grady is wrong though, IMO.

Johnnyt
05-17-2007, 08:04 AM
More dead wood in the American work force. Johnnyt

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 08:08 AM
More dead wood in the American work force. Johnnyt

lol, I agree

Terry Ardeno
05-17-2007, 08:15 AM
You are probably right. There are more important things to worry about, but since I have a job that pays $150,000 a year where I sit at my desk and play internet poker all day, a beautiful wife and a beautiful month old daughter, I guess this is all I really have to argue about. I am still right and Grady is wrong though, IMO.

corvette1340,

Now THAT is a classy post that, for me at least, gained you much respect!
You have all the right in the world to post whatever you feel. Many of your previous posts were super. It's just that I personally think we can agree to disagree and still be "buddies" on this board and that we can do it without tearing somebody up and running them off.

It sounds like God has really blessed you! I'm very happy for you and I sincerely mean it.

I look forward to reading more of your posts....but on another thread :)

And Grady is really a top shelf man, IMO
Your friend,
Terry

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 08:24 AM
corvette1340,

Now THAT is a classy post that, for me at least, gained you much respect!
You have all the right in the world to post whatever you feel. Many of your previous posts were super. It's just that I personally think we can agree to disagree and still be "buddies" on this board and that we can do it without tearing somebody up and running them off.

It sounds like God has really blessed you! I'm very happy for you and I sincerely mean it.

I look forward to reading more of your posts....but on another thread :)

And Grady is really a top shelf man, IMO
Your friend,
Terry

Agreed. If we ever meet I will buy the first drink.
Take Care.

Blackjack
05-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Hate to break it to you but this incident isnt what turned Bruce away from pool. It was getting robbed at gun point on the road after a score. Treachery consumes this sport sadly.......and thats why Grady will never admit the truth, because some may put him in that category if he does.

Southpaw

I have heard these "I quit because I was robbed at gunpoint" stories over and over and I think all of them are complete horseshit. The truth is that the first thing that fades away on you out there is your heart - the second thing that goes is your nerves, the third thing that fades away are the people you can trust with your life. I believe his "quitting" has more to do with #3 than anything else. That's just how it goes when you put your ass on the line for a living. Only the strongest survive, and I am in awe of Grady for the fact that he is still out there and still in the fight. He is either one tough SOB, knows what he is doing, or he's a winner. My money says that its probably all 3. One dangerous incident is not going to scare away anybody - hell, I had stuff like that happen to me every other night in one way or another - and the risk was always there and you had to be prepared for that. It comes with the territory.

As far as all of that ancient history goes, it was due to not conducting business the right way (on either end) - so IMO, you should forget about it and move on. Out there you can win, you can lose, you make some good deals, and you make some bad deals. The one thing that you should never do is get all caught up in the emotion of a deal whose outcome wouldn't significantly change your life - win or lose. It was a lousy 2 sets for 1K. You ended up out half. Shrug it off and keep hunting. Holding a grudge over such a small amount will eventually kill your action or steer people away from you. Five hundred bucks isn't worth all of that.

Grady
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Boy, Southpaw, it sure takes a lot of guts to hustle a 64 year old man to play 9 Ball. Oh, wait, it's not you, is it? One thing about me, I always did my own playing. I didn't need somebody else to do it.
You want a fair game? I doubt that but I'm gonna try anyway: I'll get in my car and drive to Dallas to Cardone's new place and play you and Bruce this: Two out of three sets, you have to win two to win the money: 150 points straight pool, 4 out of 7 One Pocket and 11 out of 21 9 Ball. Or I'll play Bruce even , I get the break and Nevel breaks for me and I rack my own balls. The bet will be 5 or 10 dimes and we'll post and have a referee.
You've as much as called me a liar and a cheater and I'm deeply offended at that. What you are is a low life hustler and exactly the type of person I've tried tp avoid in my gambling life.

Southpaw
05-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Boy, Southpaw, it sure takes a lot of guts to hustle a 64 year old man to play 9 Ball. Oh, wait, it's not you, is it? One thing about me, I always did my own playing. I didn't need somebody else to do it.
You want a fair game? I doubt that but I'm gonna try anyway: I'll get in my car and drive to Dallas to Cardone's new place and play you and Bruce this: Two out of three sets, you have to win two to win the money: 150 points straight pool, 4 out of 7 One Pocket and 11 out of 21 9 Ball. Or I'll play Bruce even , I get the break and Nevel breaks for me and I rack my own balls. The bet will be 5 or 10 dimes and we'll post and have a referee.
You've as much as called me a liar and a cheater and I'm deeply offended at that. What you are is a low life hustler and exactly the type of person I've tried tp avoid in my gambling life.

You werent 64 when this game was originally to be played and it was agreed upon by you and Bruce. Now if you want the same game you got it. There is a very nice triple shimmed Diamond table at The Poolroom in Duluth, GA. that is just perfect for these 2 games. Ask Shane V. and Larry about the table they have both played on it. As well as Corey, Troy Frank and many others.

Southpaw

Johnny Colaw
05-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Who I am really isnt important.... As for cheap shots....as soon as 1 single person comes on here and says they were there and this isnt the way it happened, then you can accuse me of cheap shots... Southpaw

LOL! Sir, you attacked a WORLD CHAMPION in a public forum, not saying who you are makes you a sniveling coward, and I am calling you out as a liar to boot. Your manners here are worse than what you accused Grady of in the first place.

There may have been a "misunderstanding", as someone else generously put it - but I know Grady personally, as do many others, and there is no way it went down as you portray it.

As for " If 1 single person comes on here and says they were there and this isnt the way it happened..." - ONE SINGLE PERSON WHO WAS THERE DID DO THAT. HIS NAME IS GRADY MATHEWS. IF HE WAS THE PERSON YOU CLAIM, IT WOULD BE WELL KNOWN ALREADY. YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW THE MAN WELL AT ALL. AN ANONYMOUS HIT IS ALWAYS A CHEAP SHOT!

I SUGGEST WE TAKE A VOTE. WHO AGREES THAT ANONYMOUS ATTACKS IN PUBLIC FORUMS ARE CHEAP SHOTS FOR LOSERS?

I DO. That makes it 1 so far in favor of you being the jerk. So be a little pussy and hide behind your handle, coward. You suck. And my handle is my name, in case you don't like it.

Southpaw
05-17-2007, 09:02 AM
LOL! Sir, you attacked a WORLD CHAMPION in a public forum, not saying who you are makes you a sniveling coward, and I am calling you out as a liar to boot. Your manners here are worse than what you accused Grady of in the first place.

There may have been a "misunderstanding", as someone else generously put it - but I know Grady personally, as do many others, and there is no way it went down as you portray it.

As for " If 1 single person comes on here and says they were there and this isnt the way it happened..." - ONE SINGLE PERSON WHO WAS THERE DID DO THAT. HIS NAME IS GRADY MATHEWS. IF HE WAS THE PERSON YOU CLAIM, IT WOULD BE WELL KNOWN ALREADY. YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW THE MAN WELL AT ALL. AN ANONYMOUS HIT IS ALWAYS A CHEAP SHOT!

I SUGGEST WE TAKE A VOTE. WHO AGREES THAT ANONYMOUS ATTACKS IN PUBLIC FORUMS ARE CHEAP SHOTS FOR LOSERS?

I DO. That makes it 1 so far in favor of you being the jerk. So be a little pussy and hide behind your handle, coward. You suck. And my handle is my name, in case you don't like it.

Your opinion of me doesnt matter 1 little bit to me. I was there and you werent. If this was in a court of law, I have provided eye witness accounts of what happened and the defense has not. How would you "vote" if you were a juror on this case with an UNBIASED opinion??? And if it had been just a misunderstanding then it would no have been taken this far, but it wasnt. And the last thing I really want is some "Shady Grady" phanatic stalking me....but you can let me know when you will be in Athens, GA. and see if you have the balls to call me a pussy to my face....

Southpaw

VIProfessor
05-17-2007, 09:03 AM

TAP! TAP! TAP!

!Smorgass Bored
05-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Man, oh man. There's nothing like a thread about a pool match played, money owed, money paid, money collected, tush hogs, the proper spot/weight, who's right and who's wrong and who's known and who's unknown, to get the pool juices flowing..... imo

I smell a RE-match and I think the the only people that should be allowed to be present at this match are the participants, the previous backers/sweators and any current backers. And of course, ANYONE that's participated in this thread.

Doug
( let's get it on.......... carpool anyone )

!Smorgass Bored
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm on my way out the door to play some $2-$5 no Limit Hold 'Em at the naked girl's condo, but I've been thinking about this (and another) thread.

I think that we should combine these matches. Grady M. playing Bruce B. and Dave Matlock (getting the 8) or James Walden playing Corey Deuel on the barbox.

Now, these matches should be played somewhere that is allowed to be Open 24 hours. Somewhere that has liquor around the clock and great food, not to mention ample & comfortable sweators chairs.

Buffalo's or The Corner Pocket in New Orleans comes to mind, but I'm certain that other locations fit the bill. What have we got ?

Doug
( I'll check back after the poker game )

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM

The fact that four people, not including the ones that PM'd southpaw have stood up and said that they were there and disputed Grady's story. Some of you seem to argue that everyone can make a mistake in their otherwise unblemished actions from time to time. Well, in this instance, "the honorable" Grady was the one making the mistake. I'm sorry that all of the Grady backers have to hear this, but on at least 4 eye witness accounts it went down to the contrary of Mr. Mathews. Has Grady had anyone confirm his side of the story? NO. I personally like some of Grady's stories about who he played and gambled with before the depression, so its fine if all of this is forgotten. But, for you to dispute Southpaw's side of the story when it is complete fact is a bit shortsided even for someone with just 9 posts. IMO

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm on my way out the door to play some $2-$5 no Limit Hold 'Em at the naked girl's condo, but I've been thinking about this (and another) thread.

I think that we should combine these matches. Grady M. playing Bruce B. and Dave Matlock (getting the 8) or James Walden playing Corey Deuel on the barbox.

Now, these matches should be played somewhere that is allowed to be Open 24 hours. Somewhere that has liquor around the clock and great food, not to mention ample & comfortable sweators chairs.

Buffalo's or The Corner Pocket in New Orleans comes to mind, but I'm certain that other locations fit the bill. What have we got ?

Doug

( I'll check back after the poker game )

Smorg,
I agree. New Orleans sounds like a good place. I will bet on Bruce and Corey and buy everyones first shot. Then you and I can play heads up hold em for shots until one of us passes out.

bomber
05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Louisville, Kentucky sounds like a fine place to me!!!!!!!!!! I would love to sweat this action.

Grady
05-17-2007, 10:03 AM
I need to stop this. I promised my wife I wouldn't let this jerk get under my skin.

Southpaw
05-17-2007, 10:09 AM
I need to stop this. I promised my wife I wouldn't let this jerk get under my skin.

Grady just answer these simple questions....
1) Why would Bruce agree to play you a game that you basically invented without wanting to play a game he thought he had an edge at?
2) Why hasnt anyone that was there said I am lying?
3) Why would your "good friend" that owned the place at the time and knew we were locals, allow you to play a game if you werent gonna get paid?
4) Why, when confronted about not playing the 2nd set, did you tell Bruce to "just keep it" when he was handing you the money?

can you offer realitic answers to these questions? I am taking Blackjack's advice and dropping it after this... $500 isnt worth it, but its the prinicple.

Southpaw

r0ttie1
05-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Look, Southpaw, I apologize for anything I may have said or done to offend you. How about we just stay out of each other's business from now on?
Mr. Wilson, if you're reading these posts, how about a little protection? I knew it would come to this guy's not so subtle "muscling". All I want to do is post and have a good time, telling the truth as I've always done.

I agree. I for one appreciate reading Grady's, Freddies and Jay Helferts posts. I hate to see another flame war.

Irish634
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
This post was in another thread (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=716242&postcount=132), but I think it fits this thread perfectly.

Matt_24
05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
No wonder you and Grady get along so well. Instead of admitting you are wrong you want to try and strong arm someone, well that shit wont work with me! Bring your punk ass to Athens, GA and sayit to my face instead of hiding behind your keyboard. In other words, put your money where your Grady-pleaser is...unless you are just a chickenshit! I have said I would let this die, but you seem to want to keep it going. I will not be threatened or bullied by some hack that wasnt there and has absolutley nothing but speculation to go on.

Southpaw

He can't say it to your face...he doesn't know who you are???...hahahahaha...

Johnny Colaw
05-17-2007, 12:25 PM
No wonder you and Grady get along so well. Instead of admitting you are wrong you want to try and strong arm someone, well that shit wont work with me! Bring your punk ass to Athens, GA and sayit to my face instead of hiding behind your keyboard. In other words, put your money where your Grady-pleaser is...unless you are just a chickenshit! I have said I would let this die, but you seem to want to keep it going. I will not be threatened or bullied by some hack that wasnt there and has absolutley nothing but speculation to go on.

Southpaw

Who is strong-arming who? I sent you the dictionary definition of pussy. Weak, timid, hiding. You are still hiding...

Seems like all I did was try to share with this forum that Grady has a new blog. You hijacked it, made unproven allegations, and called Grady a cheat and a liar in so many words.

I called you a pussy because your actions demonstrate you fit the definition. YOU are the one who issued the bullying tactic - in your words "if I have balls to say that to your face". I have those balls, sir (assuming you are male?). I am not hiding behind my keyboard or anything else - you have my name and where I work. What do you need, a bus ticket? I will buy you one! All we have from you is coward talk from a no-name loser. Did I miss something here, mister thread hijacker?

Fast Lenny
05-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh, so you would continue to play even when the your oponent could not pay for the first set you won. Are you crazy:confused: ? I mean letting a player, that first of all is being backed, by a backer who is broke, play you another set is nothing more than letting this individual gamble with you with your own money.

Now who in their right mine will do that, if you find someone, I want that action!!!!!!!
The only thing i am saying is if your "locked" for 2 sets they are played,the money maximum loss should be posted by the parties,if its $500 a set each side post $1000 for the sets perhaps with a neutral party or the room owner and since it wasnt both parties foofed up.

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks Dave. From the MODS: "To be included, there will be no ad hominem attacks. No name calling nor insults. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but calling them an idiot because of their opinion is not."

Does this apply to calling people liars and cheats too, I wonder? Presumably we will find out before long. What it the forum policy on hijacking threads to make ad-hominem attacks?

Well, then I apologize for calling a weak, timid, unmanly man a pussy.
SORRY whoever the heck you are, for calling you a pussy. Tell your mommy not to turn me in to the principal please. I was just defending my friend against your calling him a cheat and a liar.

another intelligent post for your 12th, good job. Keep them coming. Is that a troll in your avatar?

Southpaw
05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks Dave. From the MODS: "To be included, there will be no ad hominem attacks. No name calling nor insults. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but calling them an idiot because of their opinion is not."

Does this apply to calling people liars and cheats too, I wonder? Presumably we will find out before long. What it the forum policy on hijacking threads to make ad-hominem attacks?

Well, then I apologize for calling a weak, timid, unmanly man a pussy.
SORRY whoever the heck you are, for calling you a pussy. Tell your mommy not to turn me in to the principal please. I was just defending my friend against your calling him a cheat and a liar.

still cant let it go can you? Thanks for showing everyone on AZ YOUR true colors....and my positive rep points just keep adding up...thanks.

Southpaw

Russ Chewning
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I say that the overwhelming majority of AZ forum members who believe "Grady Mathews" over "Anonymous" band together and scrape up $500 to give Grady... free of charge.

Just to piss Southpaw and his compadres off.

We can name it the "I whooped Bruce's ASS" fund.

I am willing to come up with $100, as long as the other $400 gets committed from well established forum members.

Anyone with me? And I am being totally serious here..

Russ

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I say that the overwhelming majority of AZ forum members who believe "Grady Mathews" over "Anonymous" band together and scrape up $500 to give Grady... free of charge.

Just to piss Southpaw and his compadres off.

We can name it the "I whooped Bruce's ASS" fund.

I am willing to come up with $100, as long as the other $400 gets committed from well established forum members.

Anyone with me? And I am being totally serious here..

Russ

If you and Grady and Johnny Colaw will perform a 3 way kiss then I will give the entire $500. And, I am being TOTALLY serious here.

DGunter
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't think anybody really cares...

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't think anybody really cares...

Oh, come on 11 post guy, you know you care :D

DGunter
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM
As entertaining as watching an argument on the internet is, I'm just throwing that out there to point out that this is all kindof pointless.

I would suggest you all get together and play a $500 set of Hungry Hungry Hippos and let the winner claim the bragging rights.

corvette1340
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
As entertaining as watching an argument on the internet is, I'm just throwing that out there to point out that this is all kindof pointless.

I would suggest you all get together and play a $500 set of Hungry Hungry Hippos and let the winner claim the bragging rights.

or better yet, a set of hungry hungry hippos followed by a set of chutes and ladders.

DGunter
05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
That could work...although I'm partial to the hippos. :)

uwate
05-17-2007, 02:05 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/435/rockemsockemrobotspa0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Grady
05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
I blogged today for the first time. I think this might be an enjoyable and interesting pursuit.
I'm not going to say anything else on this thread except one last item: Has everyone else noticed that not only has Southpaw more or less called me a liar and a cheater but he wasn't even the one who paid the $500 and he still hasn't stated his own name.

mroberts75
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM

I must say that I was there and what Southpaw and Corvette1340 are stating is the truth. The agreement was for two sets. Grady won the first set and pulled up, bottom line. Grady was offered to be payed for the first set and he said just keep it. I never understood why he didnt play the second set. He won the first one and then quit.

just my 2 cents

Martin Roberts

Big Perm
05-17-2007, 03:05 PM
I must say that I was there and what Southpaw and Corvette1340 are stating is the truth. The agreement was for two sets. Grady won the first set and pulled up, bottom line. Grady was offered to be payed for the first set and he said just keep it. I never understood why he didnt play the second set. He won the first one and then quit.

just my 2 cents

Martin Roberts

Good.....and taking your post, perspective, and information to be 100% truth.....so what. Maybe he was tired, maybe he felt bad, maybe he got a bad feeling, or maybe he just didn't like the kid.....so, again taking everything you said to be truth without knowledge or question, so he made a mistake, did something out of character, or just plain old screwed up.....

We all make mistakes (again, not saying he did), but we have somebody with a lot of knowledge that is offering a contribution of sorts to the sport.....what is the value of replaying one of the possibly rare and dumb mistakes he might have made???? Hell, I don't want all my mistakes aired on here :D

The post was about his blog, and not Bruce, or this one event.....from an outsider and newb who hasn't met many or you nor lived that type of life, I enjoy stories like Grady's and Jay's and all those guys....no reason to run them off.....none of us are beyond reproach and we all have skeletons.....some people here probably have graveyards :D

It just doesn't seem appropriate or of value to steer the post in this manner, and I wouldn't want people doing it to one of my posts. Sometimes good people do bad things, I know I have.

With all due respect,

Jason

jgpool
05-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Logically you have to ask two questions.

1) What are the intentions of the thread highjacker?

2) What results does the tread highjacker hope to achieve?

Russ Chewning
05-17-2007, 03:18 PM
To tell the truth, I really give two craps about how many people come forward and say they "saw this", and "saw that".

You know why?

Because Lil Jon was up gambling in Boston.. Left something like 10K on the lights while he was playing Tony Ruberto. He comes back, and it is gone. Tony "says" he didn't see anyone take it. NOONE ELSE in the room saw anyone take it. And there were probably 20-30 people sweating the match.

When there is an argument, local players almost ALWAYS side with their local champ. Even when it comes to theft, or if their guy fired an air barrel. Why? Because they still have to be at the same tournaments and halls as these "champs", and don't want to rock the boat.

Most pool hall denizens out there look at it like, if the road player didn't protect himself, then he deserved what he got.

So quit using the excuse "I was there, I saw it!", balah blah blah blah. It doesn't mean anything. Grady has a much better reputation than any ANONYMOUS person out there. Or any TEN ANONYMOUS PERSONS out there. Or any TWENTY ANONYMOUS PERSONS out there.

Now, you want someone to consider you might be telling the truth about Grady. Grab your ****ing nuts, man up, AND TELL US WHAT YOUR ****ING NAME IS. So we can tell whether you have any credibility.

For all we know, you all are a bunch of smack addicts who just like starting s**t.

Russ

poolmouse
05-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Now there are two gentlemen saying that I agreed to play two sets. I don't know eother one of them and don't remember speaking to anybody except Bruce. I have, for more than 40 years honored every gambling thing I said I would do. Simply stated, again, I only agreed to play one set.
This is a classic case where it's often bad business to deal with mid-level backers. They often make mistakes and are prone to cause a person trouble.
Yes, I did call in a favor to collect my money. So what? Ok, I'm through with this. I really would like to focus on only positive things in my life.

grady, with all due respect, publicly admitting "calling in a favor to collect my money" wasn't very smart. i would remove that comment before someone archives it for leverage in a legal suit against you. ;)

poolmouse

DaveK
05-17-2007, 03:26 PM
So quit using the excuse "I was there, I saw it!", balah blah blah blah. It doesn't mean anything. Grady has a much better reputation than any ANONYMOUS person out there. Or any TEN ANONYMOUS PERSONS out there. Or any TWENTY ANONYMOUS PERSONS out there.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Martin Roberts reputation ?

Dave

Russ Chewning
05-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Martin Roberts reputation ?

Dave

Never heard of him. Suprisingly enough, I don't know every single player in the U.S.

Is he willing to go on record as saying he saw this incident? If so, let him come on here and say so. That way, the established forum members from that area can say whether or not he is a trustworthy person.

The only way I would call someone out by name is if they made a statement about someone, and I had some information about their personal integrity.

If Martin saw it, let him come on here and say who he is, and what he saw. All this anonymous bulls**t just shows how cowardly all these people are.

Russ

Russ Chewning
05-17-2007, 03:49 PM
grady, with all due respect, publicly admitting "calling in a favor to collect my money" wasn't very smart. i would remove that comment before someone archives it for leverage in a legal suit against you. ;)

poolmouse

Oh PA leeze.. What? So Grady can go in front of the judge and tell him "Yes, your honor.. I asked a friend of mine to go and ASK the person for the money, since I thought that would take all the emotion out of the transaction. I thought it would be the most civil way to conduct business."

Grady has owned multiple businesses, and has dealt with the police and the courts before. I doubt anyone here could offer much advice that Grady doesn't already have a solution for. Good god, the man has gambled for what? 40 years? And never been to prison? I'm not sure he ever spent more than a few days in jail, either.

Grady knows how to take care of himself, don't you worry about that.

Russ

Fatboy
05-17-2007, 04:03 PM

poolmouse

i've called in favors to my lawyers to collect debt for me, Grady said nothing that could/would stick in the legal syatem that could be held against him, his choice of words was good, he never implied "strong arm" collections whitch could lead to troubles,

Whats in a favor? its just a favor.

i'm not picking sides and dont care at all, i just wanted to clairify that point.

>>>>>>>if this was my forum this thread would have long ago been deleted, it doesnt serve pool it makes it look dirty and that the last thing any of us need, Delete the whole thing.<<<<<<<<<<<<< now!!!! my 3 cents-adjusted for infaltion. thanks for reading my post.

DaveK
05-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Never heard of him. Suprisingly enough, I don't know every single player in the U.S.

Is he willing to go on record as saying he saw this incident? If so, let him come on here and say so. That way, the established forum members from that area can say whether or not he is a trustworthy person.

The only way I would call someone out by name is if they made a statement about someone, and I had some information about their personal integrity.

If Martin saw it, let him come on here and say who he is, and what he saw. All this anonymous bulls**t just shows how cowardly all these people are.

Russ

Russ you really need to work on that reading comprehension problem of yours. I'll help by suggesting you re-read post # 107.

Dave

Russ Chewning
05-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Russ you really need to work on that reading comprehension problem of yours. I'll help by suggesting you re-read post # 107.

Dave

Gotcha,

Just didn't see that he posted his name. I leave it up to the established posters from the area to vouch for the reputation of Mr. Roberts..

But I do have a question for Martin. If what he says is true, why on earth would Grady turn down the money for the first set, then "call in a favor" to collect? It didn't make sense when the first person said that, and it doesn't make sense now.

Perhaps Martin can clarify this for us?

Russ

Fatboy
05-17-2007, 04:27 PM
geez guys read my last sentance in my post above 3-4 ago and give it a little thought, were all pool players and this is making a mokery of pool, action and feeds right into the hands of people who have a bad impression of pool. for the betterment of the image of pool, take the egos into a pm war. and i'm still not picking sides, i want no enimies, think about it thats all i ask gentalmen.

best

fatboy

RiverCity
05-17-2007, 04:29 PM
And the last thing I really want is some "Shady Grady" phanatic stalking me....but you can let me know when you will be in Athens, GA. and see if you have the balls to call me a pussy to my face....

Southpaw
http://images.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/05-21-04-magazines/dorquemada.jpg
:D :D :D
Chuck

poolmouse
05-17-2007, 04:39 PM
i've called in favors to my lawyers to collect debt for me, Grady said nothing that could/would stick in the legal syatem that could be held against him, his choice of words was good, he never implied "strong arm" collections whitch could lead to troubles,

Whats in a favor? its just a favor.

i'm not picking sides and dont care at all, i just wanted to clairify that point.

well said. however, if the person grady "called in" for the "favor" got physical, bragging about it on an open forum isn't very smart. it's no fun being brought up on charges.

poolmouse

shinobi
05-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Note to self: Cancel plan to gamble with Grady, lose, and then not pay, due to inference of "collections committee" :D :D :D

mroberts75
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Gotcha,

Just didn't see that he posted his name. I leave it up to the established posters from the area to vouch for the reputation of Mr. Roberts..

But I do have a question for Martin. If what he says is true, why on earth would Grady turn down the money for the first set, then "call in a favor" to collect? It didn't make sense when the first person said that, and it doesn't make sense now.

Perhaps Martin can clarify this for us?

Russ

I cannot clarify why he pulled up after the first set and did not accept the payment for the first set. It seemed silly to me at the time also, but my gut told me that he knew he couldnt win the second set and to save face he pulled up after the first set. I guess he figured they were going to break even anyway, so why continue. I think it was wrong of him to try to collect the bet later or as he put it "called for some help", which I did not know about until this thread.

I just feel from what I saw that day, that the game was not played the way it was discussed and any collection on that first set was plain wrong!!!!!!

Martin

fidget
05-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Grady,

I am looking forward to reading your blog. Good luck with it and have fun.

Mrs. Bushwhacker

bud green
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I have a ton of respect for Grady, and it doesn't seem that he would give a sh*t about 500 bucks when he gambles for 50 times that sometimes, but I used to live in Athens, GA and and knew both Bruce and Martin a little bit and they both seemed like real solid guys to me.

As far as Bruce getting jacked on the road goes, people told me him and Stevie Moore made good money (10's of thousands) on the road. This was years ago and Bruce has won a bunch since then so I don't think its unreasonable at all that he might of got held up. He's a VERY laid back personality so this kind of trouble would bother a guy like him, maybe. All of the talented players in the South know him; he definately can play and he's known to gamble so I could see him becoming a target.

Mr. Wilson
05-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Look guys, it is pretty straight forward.

Southpaw, You started this mess and need to know I won't let this happen again.

The next time will be the last, since you have a penchant for stiring things up.

Everyone else on the language bandwagon, consider whether you feel strongly enough about your language to accept the warnings and possible ban before you hit enter.

I have stated many times before:

I do value the Professional players being here and will defend them from the warrantless attacks on thier personality every danmed time.

"Who is Southpaw", like you said, it doesn't matter.
I'll chose Grady, Blackjack....etc in that fight.....every time.

I'm not kidding people, I won't let someone drive these people off.

Don't leave me with no option other than removing you.

Sincerely,
Dave Wilson

Southpaw
05-18-2007, 08:27 AM
I didnt start the name calling. I stated an incident that was 100% fact and it was confirmed by 4 other people who were there. Sorry if the truth hurts! And I dont have any problem not posting here anymore. So play God all you want to....its still 100% FACT!

Southpaw

Mr. Wilson
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
What you did, was hijack a thread, change the subject and launch a personal attack.

100% true.

Southpaw
05-18-2007, 08:32 AM
And I apologized right off the bat for hijacking the thread and said I was done with it until I was called every name in the book even though its the truth.

Southpaw

Mr. Wilson
05-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I've been specific in my address to you.

It is your choice, whether or not I have to stop you from attacking.

Everyone else is being held accountable for their choices of language too.

It is a warning, Please consider it.

!Smorgass Bored
05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
SO, does this mean that there won't be a re-match ?
Doug

uwate
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I do value the Professional players being here and will defend them from the warrantless attacks on thier personality every danmed time.

I'm not kidding people, I won't let someone drive these people off.

Better late than never.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8694/azbcalvaryro4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lots of pro players who are now former AZB posters are pictured on the field...

corvette1340
05-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Better late than never.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8694/azbcalvaryro4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lots of pro players who are now former AZB posters are pictured on the field...

They must have really partied hard last night because it looks like most of them are passed out. Some are taking the high road I see since it looks as if they are smoking outside instead of in the pool room.

smokeandapancak
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
If you are to start holding people accountable for highjacking threads....then this board would be reduced about 7 people.......

If I got let down by somebody on here I would speak up about it also... esp if I saw a thread praising the "offender"..... you have a sticky dedicated to reporting bad transactions.... this was a bad transaction......
few different folks have stepped up to verify the claim...even disclosed full names...but southpaw gets hit pubicly whilst the OP strolls around freely after dropping Pussy 17 times in 4 post....along with threats of assualt... :)

I always thought it funny when dudes do that on the net....

either way .... the blog could be cool .. once the blogging starts, that is...

corvette1340
05-18-2007, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=smokeandapancak] dropping Pussy 17 times

lol, the last time I did that was few years ago and I stayed blacked out for a solid month. A couple of them were decent though.

Mr. Wilson
05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Both of you, corvette and smoke, first warning.

Guys, I am trying to keep the playing field level, please cooperate.

smokeandapancak
05-18-2007, 01:43 PM
dizamn.... hey vette.. looks like me and you might headed to the penalty box together.... :D...

Are you anywhere around mid GA ... I moving there in a few months ... would like to get a beer or 15 in with ya!!

Serioulsy... wilson.. I am not trying to get you all riled up.... just pointing out what I see ... or better yet ... what I dont see....

Smoke

JAM
05-18-2007, 01:57 PM
dizamn.... hey vette.. looks like me and you might headed to the penalty box together.... :D...

Are you anywhere around mid GA ... I moving there in a few months ... would like to get a beer or 15 in with ya!!

Serioulsy... wilson.. I am not trying to get you all riled up.... just pointing out what I see ... or better yet ... what I dont see....

Smoke

You like to stir it up.

JAM

JoeyA
05-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Smorg,
I agree. New Orleans sounds like a good place. I will bet on Bruce and Corey and buy everyones first shot. Then you and I can play heads up hold em for shots until one of us passes out.

Well, I know one of the pool room owners in Florida made a nice offer but I will put Buffalo Billiards up against ANY POOL ROOM in the country for making players feel welcome and I'll include sweaters and stake horses too.

Buff the Stuff has no peers when it comes to taking care of his customers and even newbies. And yes, they're open 24/7. Last night action ended at 6:00 am and boy was the wife STEAMED.

Corey Deuel has a welcome mat in New Orleans at Buffalo's anytime.

But as to the drinking contest, you can just send me some "favor jelly" because I saved you from a guaranteed loser. You can't out drink Smorg.
JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored
05-18-2007, 04:41 PM
But as to the drinking contest, you can just send me some "favor jelly" because I saved you from a guaranteed loser. You can't out drink Smorg.
JoeyA

Gee, thanks. Now that everyone knows I'm a Professional, I'm going to have to spot 'em a little sumpin sumpin.....
Doug
( I drank my way through the Mr. Boston bar book ALPHABETICALLY )

JoeyA
05-18-2007, 04:44 PM

REP for you Johnny Colaw.
I know Grady Mathews and he is a VERY HONORABLE MAN.

I think that people who hide behind their fake screen names should be barred from posting or at least be outed by the forum administrator or other forum members. While I don't know anything about any of the forum members except the ones that I have personally met, I find using screen names exclusively is just a way for a person to not have to back up what they are saying. If you use your real name and make false accusations, someone is going to call you on it.

JoeyA

smokeandapancak
05-18-2007, 10:23 PM
You like to stir it up.

JAM

nah.. shaken..with a twist :D