http://youtube.com/watch?v=_NeOuO9EB68

wahcheck
05-17-2007, 05:47 AM
Johnson City Classic – Boston Shorty vs Whimpy

I saw Mosconi vs Ponzi

VIProfessor
05-17-2007, 06:56 AM
What??!! Willie hooks himself on the game ball, gets the news that his wife just delivered a boy and then drains a five rail kick shot to win the World Championship? Outrageous! I didn't know about this one! Pool Bum, I know you've been the videomeister for years--do you have this?

Marvel
05-17-2007, 07:37 AM
What??!! Willie hooks himself on the game ball, gets the news that his wife just delivered a boy and then drains a five rail kick shot to win the World Championship? Outrageous! I didn't know about this one! Pool Bum, I know you've been the videomeister for years--do you have this?

You're kidding, right?

VIProfessor
05-17-2007, 07:54 AM
You're kidding, right?

No joke, man! Click on the link--it will astound and amaze you!

Marvel
05-17-2007, 08:26 AM
No joke, man! Click on the link--it will astound and amaze you!

I'm puzzled. Should I cry or laugh.

Ps. Coltrane and Gibran were both great. So, I think I should laugh..

JAM
05-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm puzzled. Should I cry or laugh.

Ps. Coltrane and Gibran were both great. So, I think I should laugh..

What is interesting about this vintage video clip of the World Pool 14.1Championship is that while the match is in progress, the scores124 to 123, Willie is temporarily distracted when the scorekeeper writes on the scoreboard: "It's a boy." Right after that, he makes an incredible 5-railer for the almighty win. I think this is a 10-foot table, too.

Also, Willie is shown smoking a cigarette, which would never happen today on film. Great stuff.

JAM

Snapshot9
05-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Talk about pressure. How good did he hit that 5 railer!!! Amazing ... :D

JAM
05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Talk about pressure. How good did he hit that 5 railer!!! Amazing ... :D

And to do it under pressure for the win, too!

I saw Freddie Boggs make the exact same shot at USA Billiards in Laurel, Maryland, against local player Colin Bowie, again, as the game-winning shot. The place became unglued, erupting in applause and loud cheers.

JAM

Marvel
05-17-2007, 08:52 AM
heh heh :p

Steppwolf
05-17-2007, 09:44 AM
That clip looked every bit as staged/rehearsed as the Mizerak Miller Lite commercials. I think Willie was "just showin' off."

Bob Jewett
05-17-2007, 10:16 AM
That clip looked every bit as staged/rehearsed as the Mizerak Miller Lite commercials. I think Willie was "just showin' off."
Did you see the shot that Ponzi supposedly missed? Cue ball frozen to the cushion and object ball frozen to the cue ball. Shoot the cue ball into the cushion to kick the object ball in. Looked to me like he made it, but they didn't show the pocket. Then Mosconi fails to roll the cue ball ahead six inches on an easy shot and leaves himself hooked. The script and camera work needed a lot of help. And the audience doesn't look like any pool audience I've ever seen, and there are only 10 of them.

I wonder if Willie really shot that in a match.

And it was about as far from Johnston City as you could get.

Marvel
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
And to do it under pressure for the win, too!

Yeah, but sometimes even the Greatest of Champions fail to keep their nerves under the pressure.

I think this is from Snooker World Championships, and it's a decider, a hill-hill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4vIRfgvRlk

Fast Lenny
05-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Did you see the shot that Ponzi supposedly missed? Cue ball frozen to the cushion and object ball frozen to the cue ball. Shoot the cue ball into the cushion to kick the object ball in. Looked to me like he made it, but they didn't show the pocket. Then Mosconi fails to roll the cue ball ahead six inches on an easy shot and leaves himself hooked. The script and camera work needed a lot of help. And the audience doesn't look like any pool audience I've ever seen, and there are only 10 of them.

I wonder if Willie really shot that in a match.

And it was about as far from Johnston City as you could get.
It could be a conspiracy like man landing on the moon.:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

sixpack
05-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Johnson City Classic – Boston Shorty vs Whimpy

That was great. Thanks for posting.

I enjoyed this one a bit more though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4vIRfgvRlk&NR=1

Cheers,
RC

Neil
05-17-2007, 02:51 PM

pwd72s
05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I heard about that shot years ago. I believe it was in a book I read 'cause it was diagrammed.Not very difficult of a set-up shot, but his wasn't a set-up shot. It looks like he had this tape (movie) made for posterity or maybe for advertising?? It sure wasn't the actual tournament. It was obviously staged for the film.

Party pooper...:rolleyes:

Neil
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM

pwd72s
05-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Just to clarify, I believe he did make that shot in a world champ.. but the film of it was staged so others could see it.

As a set-up shot, you can get it in a few trys. The amazing part is that he devised it in a clutch and pulled it off on the only attempt at it that he got. Just goes to show his genius on the green felt.

Agreed! :D

Bob Jewett
05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Just to clarify, I believe he did make that shot in a world champ.. but the film of it was staged so others could see it. ...
I suppose he might have made it in a tournament, but without a contemporary, written account, it is really hard for me to believe. In any case, it is a matter of belief at this point, not one of fact.

Neil
05-18-2007, 06:42 PM

VIProfessor
05-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey Bob J.; I had an idea you might be able to help with. You seem to have a lot of records, can you check and find out what year Mosconis' sons were born and if he won a world cham. that year? I know he held it for 15 yrs or so, but it might not match up with his sons' birth.

I don't know the exact year of Willie, Jr.'s birth, but I do know that he was born not long after Willie, Sr. got married in '41, and Mosconi beat Ponzi for the Championship in late '42. So its certainly plausible that Willie could have a son born during this match.

BTW, Wikipedia's article on Mosconi states that he did the shot on Ponzi after getting the news of his son's birth, but a closer examination reveals that the source for that statement is the very same youtube video that is under discusion in this thread! This shows that Britannica may have a point, if you're familiar with the Wikipedia vs. Britannica debate.

Neil
05-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Bob Jewett
05-18-2007, 07:33 PM
... what year Mosconis' sons were born and if he won a world cham. that year? I know he held it for 15 yrs or so, but it might not match up with his sons' birth.
Even if the birth year was right, it would just mean that one thing mentioned in the movie clip verges on accuracy. What is the chance that someone would have told Mosconi about the birth with the timing portrayed in the clip? Zero.

I suppose Charles Ursitti is the best reference in this matter, and I'll try to remember to ask him.

Mick56
05-18-2007, 07:50 PM
This clip is taken from the Pete Smith short, "The Mosconi Story".