PDA

View Full Version : Just made at decent run, have some questions.

SPINDOKTOR
05-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I ran 212 today, I feel pretty good, but the shot I missed, I shouldnt have, it was 3' from the pocket, Then I noticed the tip on my cue was mushroomed a lil, when your on a high run do you stop occasionaly to groom your tip?...lol Im using a Triangle, just put on the other day, Naturaly once the tip wears down a lil it will stabilize somewhat, and useualy last me a long time, Do you cut a new tip down? press it or something? Playing straight pool I really like a Triangle tip, I dont like the fact it gets hairy on the sides and mushrooms. I quess Im curious as to what tips your guy's use?

SPINDOKTOR

selftaut
05-19-2007, 07:06 PM
decent run??? how about TREMENDOUS RUN!!! wow super run , I have triangle on mine as well but it didn't mushroom , must be a harder tip. And yes sometimes I will stop and use my tip tapper or pick between racks.

Dan White
05-19-2007, 09:50 PM
That was 212 right? Not 21 or 22? I can't tell you anything you don't know better than I, but I have to wonder how your tip mushrooms so quickly playing 14.1. It must be a pretty soft tip because you can't be hitting the ball that hard playing 14.1.

dwhite

CreeDo
05-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Haha, if I ever ran over 200 I'd be posting OMG I RAN OVER 200!!!@!@!@@!@!@ That's some crazy modesty.

I've seen a bunch of long run videos (sadly never saw one myself)... I never saw a player stop to groom his tip in the middle of a run. It must have been a tiny bit shroomed at the start of the run. Maybe you just got a little mentally fatigued and had one eye on your position and it was a plain old miss?

tpdtom
05-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Running 212 is only a dream to most who shoot 14.1 all their lives, myself included. Congratulations !

When we used to use very hard Champion tips with a pad back in the day, we'd wet the edges a few times when the tip was first applied, then burnish it on the felt of the rail, turning the tip till we got all the way around. It seemed that you had to do this for about a week if you were playing everyday, along with some trimming, until it stopped mushrooming. I'm sure you know all that but I thought that I'd mention it anyway. I use a laminated tip now, either a Talisman medium or a Moori medium. I wet them right across the entire top surface as my cuemaker friend recommended, then chalk and go. I haven't had one delaminate yet.

By the way, we used to pay $5 for those french Champion tips. That was installed, and they were considered to be so expensive that they were a luxury. Normal tips like an Elkmaster were $1 or $2 :D .

Keep up the high runs...Tom

Blackjack
05-20-2007, 07:34 AM
212 just so happens to be my high run. Decent? Ok. Congratulations . ! ? :p

SPINDOKTOR
05-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the replies, and Yes!!! I feel great, I didnt do it on a 9' though, I have a 8' now at home, and Ive spent the last week playing straight pool day and night, Like always I struggle with the first 50-75 balls, this time once I climed that mountain I felt at ease and relaxed, I still cant believe I missed that 3' footer, I couldnt hardly sleep at all last night.

No I dont shoot hard, I was actualy playing straight pool to break the tip in, I didnt expect a high run... If I tried, it would never happen, I can say Im hooked! The feeling I had not just because of the number of balls, but the state of mind..

Blackjack, yes, but I would be alot more excited if Id had done this on a 9' I almost feel guilty it was a 8 footer..

SPINDOKTOR

Pushout
05-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I ran 212 today, I feel pretty good, but the shot I missed, I shouldnt have, it was 3' from the pocket, Then I noticed the tip on my cue was mushroomed a lil, when your on a high run do you stop occasionaly to groom your tip?...lol Im using a Triangle, just put on the other day, Naturaly once the tip wears down a lil it will stabilize somewhat, and useualy last me a long time, Do you cut a new tip down? press it or something? Playing straight pool I really like a Triangle tip, I dont like the fact it gets hairy on the sides and mushrooms. I quess Im curious as to what tips your guy's use?

SPINDOKTOR

This is why I don't use Triangles. They were already on a Gilbert that I had about 2 years or so ago. Both tips on both shafts had to be burnished after play for 15 minutes or more. Didn't like the feel of them, either.
I use Moori mediums on my Dishaw now. GREAT run, by the way!! Congratulations!!!

Tony Longoni
05-20-2007, 01:01 PM
spindoktor, thats a great run on any size table! i can tell you that i do maintenence to my tip as i play straight pool. just burnish the sides alittle every few racks with a dollar bill. my high run is 188 and i use an EXTREMEMLY soft tip, so i probably burnished the sides about 3 times or so during that run. i do it between rack usually at the same time i clean up and reset. for me it helps to keep an even pace as i have a bad habit of starting to play faster as the run gets longer till it gets out of control. hope this helps

skins
05-20-2007, 01:45 PM
nice run. don't feel bad about doing the run on an 8 footer. strong play on any table has more to due with pocket size, pocket angle cut, cloth, and the player, of course, more than the size of the table.

Bob Jewett
05-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I ran 212 today, I feel pretty good, ...
You should feel good, that's a tremendous run. If you have the time, you really should look into entering one of the qualifiers for the 14.1 world championships. I'm almost willing to bet that no one else at the qualifier will have run that many that recently. The 9' tables will be a little change, but anyone who can run 212 on any size table belongs in a qualifier.

The Dragon Promotions web site is screwed up as far as the "US Schedule" page goes, but here is a separate link to the qualifiers (in NYC, MD, PA, Chicago, and LA):

http://www.dragonpromotions.com/predator141Qualifier2007.html

Good luck, and I hope to see you in Louisville in January for the 14.1 Challenge.

poolcuemaster
05-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I read somewhere a few years ago that one of the largest 14.1 runs was also on a eight footer, I'm thinking Mosconi's record here. Anyway it might be just as hard on a eight footer because of congestion and either way you have made a awesome run, congratulations from Leonard

Try a medium Tallisman pro they are as awesome as your run

SPINDOKTOR
05-21-2007, 10:03 AM
You should feel good, that's a tremendous run. If you have the time, you really should look into entering one of the qualifiers for the 14.1 world championships. I'm almost willing to bet that no one else at the qualifier will have run that many that recently. The 9' tables will be a little change, but anyone who can run 212 on any size table belongs in a qualifier.

The Dragon Promotions web site is screwed up as far as the "US Schedule" page goes, but here is a separate link to the qualifiers (in NYC, MD, PA, Chicago, and LA):

Good luck, and I hope to see you in Louisville in January for the 14.1 Challenge.

Thank you Bob, your comments mean alot to me.

Me playing in a 14.1 world championship? :D you sure do know how to make a fellow feel good.

Id like to, but to me thats seems a lil out of reach, Im not sure If I can raise enough funds to go, If I can, I'll be there.

SPINDOKTOR

pdcue
05-22-2007, 01:33 AM

SPINDOKTOR

About the run:
What they said!!!

About the tip:

Here I do know a bit. I have a Triangle on one of my own playing shafts.
If you do a search of "Triangle tips" on the 'Ask a cuemaker' forum, you will see a ton of groussing(sp?) about the recent decline in quality.

Still, 212 Straighjt Pool Shots would seem premature for mushroom-ige.
My usual advice for tips in general is:
Play with the tip 'till it stops mushrooming - then bring it back and
I'll trim it.

Typically, tips like, say, the old Le Pros, would pound down and mushroom
till they stablized, then if trimmed right, would not mushroom any more.
If you trimmed them before that point, you just extended the time
required for them to become stable.

Dale Pierce

Jimmy M.
05-22-2007, 04:13 PM

I saw their list of qualifiers. It's too bad that there is only 1 here on the West Coast. There really are pool players on this half of the country! No! really!

mnorwood
05-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I go pretty deep in debt to go the the world championship if I could run 200. You should compete on a high level if you can do that. With that type of game someone is bound to stake you.

Congrats.
Marcus

Voodoo Daddy
05-26-2007, 05:26 AM
I saw their list of qualifiers. It's too bad that there is only 1 here on the West Coast. There really are pool players on this half of the country! No! really!

People live west of the Mississippi, really? :eek: If they truely wanted that 14.1 to be full of "real" quality 14.1 players they would have started qualifiers months ago in every section of the country and the rest of the world. Not saying the player list isnt star studded but its flawed...

ps...congrats Spin on your 200+ run, good job

Voodoo~~~22 days til I become a Michigander!!!

Fatboy
05-27-2007, 05:50 AM

SPINDOKTOR

i'm the worst 14.1 player on the planet, i play all other games except golf pretty good and have been around along time, something I saw here in Germany a few weeks ago on TV it was the snooker players playing at the4 Cruciable-the super bowl of snooker, man these guys can play and the photography or videography was amazing and about 40% of the players had mushroomed tips, they would leave little blue lines of chalk from the tip on the top of the cushion when the CB was near the rail and they had to bridge back from it, they would video a close-up shot of it and it looked like the tip was ready to pop off when they drew the cue back as it rubbed the top of the cushion, the brass ferrel never touched the cloth just the over lapping tip-it bugged me just to see it, , how they can stand that i'll never know, my point is after seeing them play and how good they play it seems that if you deliver the cue correctly a mushroom tip works, until i saw it i wouldnt have believed it, i've been around pool since 85 so i've seen alot.

congrats on the nice run, thats better than a nice run thats awesome!!!

SPINDOKTOR
05-28-2007, 03:13 PM
i'm the worst 14.1 player on the planet, i play all other games except golf pretty good and have been around along time, something I saw here in Germany a few weeks ago on TV it was the snooker players playing at the4 Cruciable-the super bowl of snooker, man these guys can play and the photography or videography was amazing and about 40% of the players had mushroomed tips, they would leave little blue lines of chalk from the tip on the top of the cushion when the CB was near the rail and they had to bridge back from it, they would video a close-up shot of it and it looked like the tip was ready to pop off when they drew the cue back as it rubbed the top of the cushion, the brass ferrel never touched the cloth just the over lapping tip-it bugged me just to see it, , how they can stand that i'll never know, my point is after seeing them play and how good they play it seems that if you deliver the cue correctly a mushroom tip works, until i saw it i wouldnt have believed it, i've been around pool since 85 so i've seen alot.

congrats on the nice run, thats better than a nice run thats awesome!!!

lol, yeah, the mushrooming isnt what ended my run, I made a mental error, when I realized how many balls I had ran Fear hit me, I manged to run another 12 balls but I was seriously struggling. The Mushroomed tip just added to the pressure, what I should have done was take a small break, groom my tip and get back the focous.

I know someone mentioned Talisman, and I recently came across KAMUI tips, what Im wondering is is there a Layered tip available that grips the cue ball as good as a triangle? I was thinking of trying one or the other, or possibly a sniper, the cue Im using is a P2 with a original 314 uni lock shaft.

thanks, SPINDOKTOR

barkcinnamon
05-28-2007, 06:22 PM
. . . . . .

SpiderWebComm
05-29-2007, 06:39 AM

SPINDOKTOR

Congrats, Spindoktor! I'm embarrassed to give you any advice, since I'm still fighting to break 100. I use a Moori medium (the old kind, not the brand new type out). I play with the thing constantly (4x a week at least) for months on-end and it NEVER goes out of shape or mushrooms.... and I still have the "zip" of a triangle. I think it's the best tip I've ever played with. Check it out-

Dave

Fatboy
05-29-2007, 07:29 AM
lol, yeah, the mushrooming isnt what ended my run, I made a mental error, when I realized how many balls I had ran Fear hit me, I manged to run another 12 balls but I was seriously struggling. The Mushroomed tip just added to the pressure, what I should have done was take a small break, groom my tip and get back the focous.

I know someone mentioned Talisman, and I recently came across KAMUI tips, what Im wondering is is there a Layered tip available that grips the cue ball as good as a triangle? I was thinking of trying one or the other, or possibly a sniper, the cue Im using is a P2 with a original 314 uni lock shaft.

thanks, SPINDOKTOR

i've got no credintials to give you advice, i'm super impressed with your run and just told you about the snooker players to possibly put your mind at ease, i'm very happy for you, while your hitting them like this I'd play as much as you can-thats my advice yur an a roll keep it up!!!! CONGRATS-man thats strong and the best part is onceyou did it, no one can take it away from you, 200 is HUGE!!!! at any level, wow