PDA

View Full Version : going to my first 14.1 tourney this weekend

bigskyjake
06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
pulzcul and I are headed out to a straight pool tourney this weekend(my first) I don't play a lot of 14.1 so any helpful 14.1 specific tips would be super

Thanks, Jake

CreeDo
06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not that great but here's some of the more useful advice I've gotten:

Take every shot seriously, a lot of runs end on a routine shot. Shoot even the easy ones as carefully as the toughies. Don't let your concentration fade.

Clear out balls that are blocking other balls.

You probably already know about saving a certain ball to be a break ball, but you also should know about saving a good 'key ball' to use to get on the break ball. A perfect key ball would let you do something easy like a stop shot to get the right shape on the break ball. Often the ideal key ball is a shot in the side. So look for those two balls and save them for last if possible. If you have a pretty easy group of 4 or 5 at the end, try to pick a nice ball to get onto the key ball also.

Don't use the cueball to break up clusters if you can see there's no guaranteed shot afterwards. Try to have an insurance ball every time you run into the pack. Sometimes you can't so just make sure you really stroke the ball with good follow or draw to ensure the cueball fights its way out of the cluster area. So many times I've gone into a cluster, and ended up in trouble because I didn't properly strok the ball with the true follow or draw that I wanted.

Shoot break balls as if there were regular shots and ignore the rack.

Find the right time to solve problems, you don't have to solve every cluster or bad ball problem right away but don't leave them until late in the rack either. Some advice I got is to use the first five balls to maybe clean up the rack and get rid of a few useless balls (and solve problems if it's easy and safe to do so), the middle five to solve problems like clusters etc., and the last few balls to get the best possible position on your break ball.

If you're wondering about what english to put on a typical side-of-the-rack break ball, a rough rule of thumb I've found is if the cue ball is hitting around the middle of the rack, a bit of draw + a firm stroke is good (hitting with good draw + a firm stroke will send you all the way up table). If it's hitting the bottom corner of the rack, follow will probably be best (you can scratch if you follow and hit the middle of the rack, especially if you're hitting the crack between two balls). Lastly, if the break ball is high and you're just going to clip the top of the rack, to the point where you could use draw to avoid the rack entirely, more of a center ball hit is often ideal, or with a little side. Follow can cause it the cb to die at the top of the rack or glance off the side and scratch in some cases. Draw makes it not touch the rack. So center with a little outside english may be ideal.
All of these aren't 100% sure because it also depends on what part of the ball you're gonna hit when you go into the rack. You might need more or less english in some cases.

Sometimes an intentional foul is the best option. If both a shot and a decent safety are very low percentage, roll the cueball somewhere safe and easy and give the other guy a chance to screw up. You might think he'd just trade fouls with you until you're forced to do something (the three foul rule)... but for some reason people have an amazing ability to make mistakes. Even if he answers with his own intentional foul, he might roll it to a slightly different position, and from this new perspective you can find a legal safe instead of fouling back.

Don't be suckered by wishful thinking and trying questionable frozen combinations ('dead ones') in the pack. You should understand how throw and the size of the gap between balls will alter the combo. I find that if you think you see a dead combo but there's more than a half inch between the two balls, you might be in for a bad surprise. Look at it really carefully before trying it, and remember to play shape if you do go for it.

Have courage :)
If you're wondering about going for a shot with a high reward, and you think you're 50/50 to make it, try it. It's a nice feeling for you if you get a run from it and it breaks the opponent's heart. If a safe is as tough as a shot, shoot... you can't win from a safe even if you do it successfully. That isn't to say play dumb and aggressive and take flyers at kicks and banks, just saying that if the shot is there and it's something you'd try in a game of 8 ball with a friend, try it in straight pool. Just make sure you reserve those shots for situations where there's some reward, don't play a tricky shot for 1 ball.

Good luck

bigskyjake
06-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks CreeDo:)

selftaut
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
bigskyjake , don't take any unnessesary chances , saftey play is a big part of the game. Good luck to you guys in the tourney.

pdcue
06-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Excellent post Mr DO.
Good candidate for a sticky - IMHO
.................................................. ..........

Bigsky,
Good luck to you guys.
let us know how you do and what you think of 14.1 tourny experience

ps: CreeDo gave you about 10 years worth knowledge<took 40 for me>

Dale Pierce

bigskyjake
06-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I'll definately let you guys know how I do and I'm sincerely grateful for the knowledge that you guys have shared

Thanks, Jake

nyjoe14.1
06-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Wheres the tourny?

bigskyjake
06-14-2007, 06:51 AM
It's at the Edge in Helena MT

bigskyjake
06-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Well I got back from the tourney, I pulled ye olde 2 and out. It was a helluva lot of fun though and I learned a lot

CreeDo
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
haha, the old 2-and-out... oh well. I remember when mike sigel had like 3 balls left on a 150 run in a tournament, one of the commentators said "well I think the other fella's gonna get the handshake ready" or something, the other says "yeah I think I've seen mike sigel go 3-and-out before once." ... the first guy without missing a beat says "and that was unfinished!"

:D :D :D

Cool you get tournaments there, we don't have 14.1 in this state.

bigskyjake
06-18-2007, 02:56 PM
this is the only 14.1 tourney in our state but at least it's twice a year

Jack Madden
06-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Who placed? Hamper or Boucher there? Don't think Cole was since I talked to him this weekend and he was in some good action.

bigskyjake
06-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Don and myself both got snuffed early so we took off to get home at a decent hour so I'm not to sure