PDA

View Full Version : some questions about 14.1

havoc
06-13-2007, 01:36 PM
i know the traditional 14.1 opening break.my question is do you have to break from the box?if not can you call use a more aggressive break and call a ball?

if you blow it on the next to last ball,say you pocket the ball but lose the cueball,or bump the last ball and they fall into the rack area,what do you do?

selftaut
06-13-2007, 01:45 PM
you break from anywhere in the kitchen , you can call a ball to a pocket and if it goes you continue , if the cue ball is in the rack it goes anywhere in the kitchen , if the last object ball is in the rack it goes on the spot at the other end and the cue ball stays where it is, if the last ball gets pocketed by accident then it gets racked in a full rack , if both the cue ball and last object ball are in the rack then the object ball gets racked with the others for a full rack and the cue ball is moved to anywhere in the kitchen.

havoc
06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
you break from anywhere in the kitchen , you can call a ball to a pocket and if it goes you continue , if the cue ball is in the rack it goes anywhere in the kitchen , if the last object ball is in the rack it goes on the spot at the other end and the cue ball stays where it is, if the last ball gets pocketed by accident then it gets racked in a full rack , if both the cue ball and last object ball are in the rack then the object ball gets racked with the others for a full rack and the cue ball is moved to anywhere in the kitchen.

thank you.
i was hoping siderail breaks were allowed.

SpiderWebComm
06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
i know the traditional 14.1 opening break.my question is do you have to break from the box?if not can you call use a more aggressive break and call a ball?

if you blow it on the next to last ball,say you pocket the ball but lose the cueball,or bump the last ball and they fall into the rack area,what do you do?

First, let me say there's no % offensive shot that I know of (champs, chime in at anytime)... meaning, any world-championship caliber match you'll see a safe-break.

I THINK the highest % offensive shot is the head-ball 2-rails in the side pocket. I can make it nearly 1 out of 4 times...sometimes more (depends on humidity, etc). If I'm playing a cripple, I always open w/ that break. If you miss, no damage and if you make it-- you can sit the cripple down for a while.

Put the CB between the head spot and the rail and kick behind the rack, hitting the corner ball flush (no english-- just a dead ball). You'll be surprise how accurate it is. On good equipment, you'll come real close on every shot - even if you miss...always in the area. NOTE** MAKE SURE THE RACK IS TIGHT!

Like I said... it's my guess. Banking that corner ball or attempting the head ball in the side-pocket (like 9-ball, breaking from the side) is way too iffy.

3andstop
06-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Another wacky opening shot is to attempt to bank one of the corner balls back up table. All ridiculous IMO. Just remember, on the opening break, two object balls and the cue must hit a rail or its a "2" ball penalty.

CreeDo
06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
You can also try the 9-ball style 1-in-the-side (in this case "1" means whatever ball is at the top of the rack). Usually you need to move the cueball off to the side a fair amount... not always all the way... and then just a firm hit in the face. It's something you try only on a table you're familiar with from playing 9 ball (and of course vs a beginner).