PDA

View Full Version : videos of you playing 14.1

poolplayer2093
06-14-2007, 07:32 PM
i thought it would be cool of some az'rs would post videos of themselves playing 14.1. commentary optional

RonsTheOne
06-14-2007, 07:37 PM
This would be great...Ron

CreeDo
06-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I'll second that.
We actually have a few on youtube.
Forcefollow/mnorwood explains his run here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiISMfUQEz4

There's 2 pretty good youtube videos of a guy named globetrotter, I always wondered if he's on here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t29nxSb-l0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxR6RE3SB-U

And of course there's john schmidt who has made the 256 run and 100 run dvds, there's a series of him messing around at DCC on youtube.

poolplayer2093
06-14-2007, 08:31 PM
i think it'll be cool if this thread works out, it'd be nice to put some faces with names and see exactly how i measure up with other straightpool players

Blackjack
06-15-2007, 08:10 AM
I'll second that.
We actually have a few on youtube.
Forcefollow/mnorwood explains his run here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiISMfUQEz4

There's 2 pretty good youtube videos of a guy named globetrotter, I always wondered if he's on here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t29nxSb-l0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxR6RE3SB-U

And of course there's john schmidt who has made the 256 run and 100 run dvds, there's a series of him messing around at DCC on youtube.

Globetrotter is Craig Riley/aka TheOne.

Steve Lipsky
06-15-2007, 08:26 AM
I have a VHS tape of me running about 142 in the finals of a tournament. It has no commentary, and it's not the best camera angle from what I remember. But hopefully I'll have some time soon to have it transferred to DVD. From there, maybe I can add commentary.

Have no idea how I would ever get something like that on youtube... don't they have limitations on space/time?

- Steve

Vahmurka
06-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Steve came up with another good idea some time ago, namely "Break shot Clinic", where one could post records of him making breaks he has problems with and get advice on what to do.
I even did a recording session but my pal must've had too much beer up to that moment, because he messed up pushing the start/stop buttton. So when I was racking he was shooting his knees and when I was breaking he was shooting me with the camera turned off :mad:
So my first attempt failed, hope for the next.

CreeDo
06-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Steve, I'd be glad to help you get it onto youtube, but the limitation is that you might have to decrease the video and sound quality to make it fit. Better yet, I could help you host a full quality version. If you want to add commentary I could help with that too.

PM me if you wanna give it a shot.

Jimmy M.
06-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I have a video of me running a 99, if you can believe that crap. However, the run is so ugly that I'd never actually show it to anyone. For the first 56 balls I was banking them, having to shoot at balls 8 feet away, etc. Mosconi rolled over his in grave several times during the run.

This is a funny game. I'll have stretches where I'll have decent runs for 3 or 4 days in a row, then I'll have stretches (which seem to last much, much longer) where I struggle to get past the first 2 or 3 racks. I ran a 113 2 nights ago that, while 113 isn't a phenomenal run or anything, I wish I caught it on tape because it was the easiest 100 I've ever ran. I never had a tough shot. I had to shoot a little bit of a tester only once in the run, but it was still a shot that, if you missed it playing 9-ball, you'd want to hang yourself. The run ended with me not getting a shot after the break.

poolplayer2093
06-16-2007, 03:41 PM
I have a video of me running a 99, if you can believe that crap. However, the run is so ugly that I'd never actually show it to anyone. For the first 56 balls I was banking them, having to shoot at balls 8 feet away, etc. Mosconi rolled over his in grave several times during the run.

This is a funny game. I'll have stretches where I'll have decent runs for 3 or 4 days in a row, then I'll have stretches (which seem to last much, much longer) where I struggle to get past the first 2 or 3 racks. I ran a 113 2 nights ago that, while 113 isn't a phenomenal run or anything, I wish I caught it on tape because it was the easiest 100 I've ever ran. I never had a tough shot. I had to shoot a little bit of a tester only once in the run, but it was still a shot that, if you missed it playing 9-ball, you'd want to hang yourself. The run ended with me not getting a shot after the break.

just because it wasn't textbook doesn't make it not good. i heard alex p beat john shmidt playing less than textbook. i'll take function over form anyday. comeon man post it.

ps i've never ran over 50 playing 14.1

TheOne
06-16-2007, 08:02 PM

Hey Jimmy will add u to the list asap, nice run hope to see u again in NY.

Sorry can't add u now, in a jungle on a satelite connection so gotta run!

:(

Jimmy M.
06-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey Jimmy will add u to the list asap, nice run hope to see u again in NY.

Sorry can't add u now, in a jungle on a satelite connection so gotta run!

:(

Well, if you're putting me on the list, I ran a 129 and a 133 as well in the last week or two. The 133 is the best I've done this year. Of course, this is just practicing alone, at my house, on a table that plays perfect (the pockets are a little large by some standards at 4.72"). I think my high run against anyone is 13.

EDIT: I distinctly remember running a 19 in competition so my previous estimate of 13 is obviously incorrect.

Edit Again: Follow that up with a 124 tonight. WTF is going on here? I honestly can't believe how many times I break 100 and have it end in the 120's (or earlier). It's uncanny, really. It's funny because, in recent times, I've put more pressure on myself AFTER I reach 100 because, well, I want to run a bunch of balls (who doesn't?). I guess the glaring truth is that I just don't play the game well enough yet. I'm going to sleep.

Jimmy M.
06-16-2007, 08:46 PM
just because it wasn't textbook doesn't make it not good. i heard alex p beat john shmidt playing less than textbook. i'll take function over form anyday. comeon man post it.

ps i've never ran over 50 playing 14.1

I actually bought a tripod for my camera and that 99 was the first and only time that I've used it. I probably shouldn't say this because, if it gets back to her, I might be in trouble. BUT ... my wife started on me about something-err-rather (I probably didn't pick something up in the house that I was supposed to) when I got to 70 so I'd like to point out the adverse conditions under which I was attempting to make any sort of run. ha ha ;)

If I ever happen to get any sort of run on tape, maybe I'll post it somewhere. I was just taping, actually, to get a glimpse of my mechanics. Unfortunately, the camera wasn't set up in a very ideal location for that, but it did offer a pretty good view of the table.

dmgwalsh
06-17-2007, 04:36 AM
i thought it would be cool of some az'rs would post videos of themselves playing 14.1. commentary optional

I just ordered a camcorder, so I might be videoing in the future. I got it to video my mechanics and maybe some good matches. Maybe some of the Chicago qulifier later this month.

However my own runs of 20 or so probably won't be too interesting.

CreeDo
06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
jimmy, you're too modest... over 100 ball run videos aren't common as dirt and it sounds like you do it every dat o_O

Please post any big run of yours, even if it's half trick shots. It'll be something to keep the 9 ball bangers awake.

Jimmy M.
06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
jimmy, you're too modest... over 100 ball run videos aren't common as dirt and it sounds like you do it every dat o_O

Please post any big run of yours, even if it's half trick shots. It'll be something to keep the 9 ball bangers awake.

I actually have been hitting the magic 100 number with some regularity recently. I'm going on Vacation tomorrow morning but, when I get back, maybe I'll try to catch something on tape. If nothing else, maybe it'll give me something to review and spot my own flaws. That was the only reason I ever taped myself to begin with. Well, that and that I just love staring at myself on TV! ;)

traa89
06-24-2007, 01:58 PM
keep posting up. Im a young buck trying to learn how to play straight pool.....the right way..there is just nobody around me that plays the game. So looks like watching is the only way for me. Keep it up with the vids

mjantti
07-05-2007, 08:34 PM
This is my run of 33, just pounding balls away like crazy and having fun. This was part of the "total chaos 14.1" challenge in this forum like 2 years ago or something... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHyZATg5bF0

Williebetmore
07-06-2007, 06:10 AM
This is my run of 33, just pounding balls away like crazy and having fun.

Mikko,
I had seen some video of you shooting before; obviously a very good player.

I happened to run into Mika Immonen at the Maryland straight pool tournament, he is a "friend of a friend." I asked him if he knew you; he responded that you are one of the 5 best players in Finland. Quite a compliment from a champion.

mjantti
07-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Mikko,
I had seen some video of you shooting before; obviously a very good player.

I happened to run into Mika Immonen at the Maryland straight pool tournament, he is a "friend of a friend." I asked him if he knew you; he responded that you are one of the 5 best players in Finland. Quite a compliment from a champion.

Me and Mika played in the same club for years before he moved to the USA. So he knows my abilities quite well. Mika has always been generous with compliments, I wouldn't say top 5... :rolleyes: :)

Williebetmore
07-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Me and Mika played in the same club for years before he moved to the USA. So he knows my abilities quite well. Mika has always been generous with compliments, I wouldn't say top 5... :rolleyes: :)

MJ,
Let's see....who am I going to believe; a world champion with impeccable credentials, or some anonymous guy on the internet. Sorry, I'm going to have to believe Mika......you are DEFINITELY going to have to spot me if I make it to Finland for some pool. Nice try though.

mjantti
07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
MJ,
Let's see....who am I going to believe; a world champion with impeccable credentials, or some anonymous guy on the internet. Sorry, I'm going to have to believe Mika......you are DEFINITELY going to have to spot me if I make it to Finland for some pool. Nice try though.

Knew it. You're much too wise and experienced to see right through my bluff... sigh. Had to try though.... :rolleyes: Challenge excepted.

dmgwalsh
09-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Weak 22 balls. Learning how to work the camcorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVSVpwnOFY

Reaper114
09-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Im In the running to become a manager at a new hall opening late october! So Crossed fingers ill get the job and will be able to put some hard hours in and get a few 100+ runs captured on video.

selftaut
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Weak 22 balls. Learning how to work the camcorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVSVpwnOFY

Dennis, I enjoyed that. Looks like a nice place to play too! Nice old brunswick and lots of room around the table.

Good shotmaking. You get some better cb control goin you gonna be dangerous :) of course who am I to talk, I have not got by 40 in 3 months :( my cb control left for the summer .

dmgwalsh
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Dennis, I enjoyed that. Looks like a nice place to play too! Nice old brunswick and lots of room around the table.

Good shotmaking. You get some better cb control goin you gonna be dangerous :) of course who am I to talk, I have not got by 40 in 3 months :( my cb control left for the summer .

Thanks for the kind words. Black jack, too.

My cue ball had a mind of its own and luckily I was making some tougher shots that day.

Illinois Billiard Club. Nice place. 5 anniversary tables, one gold crown and two billiard tables.

Here's a 38 I ran there last Thursday:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3200860660170366128

kennyratt
09-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Just lurking and noticed. 14.1 may not be as popular as 9-ball, but notice the posters here are from ALL OVER!! East coast, Midwest, West coast and of course abroad. I just think that's GREAT!! Regards, Kennyratt -I love 14.1 .

Panhdlce
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey dmgwalsh that E.Y. cue makes you look pretty sporty!

berry
09-28-2007, 04:14 AM
On the website of Niels Feijen (www.nielsfeijen.nl) you can see a run of +200 for free!

mikepage
11-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Well I just got a new video camera and set it on a tripod. Warning, there is nothing--nothing--pretty here.

The only saving grace is I got to 100 megabytes without missing. I know by the old-school use of the phrase, I'm still a chump. But by my new-school definition of the phrase, I've run a century.

Two recent comments on my game from people I respect:

(after playing some 14.1 and some 9-ball)

Me: "So Bob, what do you think of my straight-pool game?"

Bob Jewett: "You play better 9-ball."

While out of town, in a poolhall, and on the phone with a good-player friend.
His advice:

"Just hit some balls for a while. You'll get a good game with that stroke of yours."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7355376052739892035&hl=en

Bob Jewett
11-07-2007, 05:38 PM
... (after playing some 14.1 and some 9-ball)

Me: "So Bob, what do you think of my straight-pool game?"

Bob Jewett: "You play better 9-ball."
Remember that the same can be said of Luther Lassiter and George Rood.

FastMikie
11-13-2007, 08:08 AM
I may be taking liberties here, but I'm thinking he wouldn't mind it,
so check out this link
http://www.frankstorck.nl/nielsfeijen/videoplayer.php?view=41
to watch a run of 259
by Niels Feijen.

He ran 125 and out in a team straight pool match in 2002,
then continued the run to 259, his personal best,
and the highest run ever recorded in Europe,
according to his website.

Enjoy!

Bob Jewett
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
... continued the run to 259, his personal best, and the highest run ever recorded in Europe, according to his website. ...
I thought that Thomas Engert had the record with 491.

FastMikie
11-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I thought that Thomas Engert had the record with 491.

Well, I defer to your expertise, Mr. Jewett.
My comment was only copying what it says on Feijen's website.
He may have been emphasizing that the 259 run was *recorded*.
Has there been a video of Engert's run?

Bob Jewett
11-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Has there been a video of Engert's run?
Not that I know of. I suspect we would have heard of it if it existed.

mjantti
11-13-2007, 03:31 PM
English is not my native language, but I think there is a major difference between words "record" and "recorded". ;)

TheOne
11-14-2007, 08:41 AM
English is not my native language, but I think there is a major difference between words "record" and "recorded". ;)

Just for the record of course :p

dmgwalsh
01-29-2008, 05:35 PM

OK, here's a little 39 I was able to stumble through Sunday:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6998020963812604187

curiousofpool
01-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Hello Dennis:

Nice run! Couldn't you have waited one more week?

Michael

dmgwalsh
01-30-2008, 03:56 AM
Michael: See you Thursday. Will set up the camcorder on the Brunswick and give you a chance to run your age.

I may bring my new Duc/Brick for your review.

JohnnyP
01-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Dennis:

Why did you draw the ball on the shot that ended your run? What if you had gone forward? Could you have run into any of the other balls?

dmgwalsh
01-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Dennis:

Why did you draw the ball on the shot that ended your run? What if you had gone forward? Could you have run into any of the other balls?

That shot on the rail I was shooting could have gone clean and then I would have had the other two. They were both open. Unfortunately, I was a little too close and the object ball hit the rail and brushed one of the balls into the other making both of them unmakeable. I son't think I could have gone forward into them, but didn't really need to. Just needed to deliver the shot a little more precisely.

Vahmurka
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm about to watch your run Dennis, nice to see it was pretty fast, 15 mins only. You were close to beating your high run I see.
I wonder to what extent did clinics with JS influenced your straight pool abilities? Do you feel more confident, or see patterns beter, or else? Could you estimate how much your game is up now (I'm sure it is)?

dmgwalsh
01-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm about to watch your run Dennis, nice to see it was pretty fast, 15 mins only. You were close to beating your high run I see.
I wonder to what extent did clinics with JS influenced your straight pool abilities? Do you feel more confident, or see patterns beter, or else? Could you estimate how much your game is up now (I'm sure it is)?

Well, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I feel a little better at the table since the clinics with John. Staying calm and loose on the break shots more, trying to see the pattern and the last three balls when possible. shooting softer and trying to control the cue ball a little better. This table is a little tougher than any that I usually play on and a 39 there is pretty good. I have been playing a bit better in league so far with 12 wins and 2 losses my last 14 games, but it might just be a coincidence.;)

I've got to give JS credit for imparting some good things and I just hope I can apply them. Time will tell.

Vahmurka
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I watched the run and would like to ask if you played the secondary break at 5:45 as intended or you misplayed it? I mean the final position was pretty tough, but you managed to shoot a good recovery shot at 6:15, the cut in the corner was pretty severe. I thought you would have played a stripe (14?) in the right side, but as you mentioned here and in the vid comments that the table is tight enough, I suppose you were unsure about using that side pocket?

dmgwalsh
01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I watched the run and would like to ask if you played the secondary break at 5:45 as intended or you misplayed it? I mean the final position was pretty tough, but you managed to shoot a good recovery shot at 6:15, the cut in the corner was pretty severe. I thought you would have played a stripe (14?) in the right side, but as you mentioned here and in the vid comments that the table is tight enough, I suppose you were unsure about using that side pocket?

In retrospect, that probably would have been a better shot. The sides were not really that bad.

I thought I would bump flush into the bottom striped ball and be straighter on the ball I eventually shot, but I glanced off it.

tonmo
02-03-2008, 10:08 AM
If any azb'ers have videos of themselves at 14.1 and can contribute them to http://www.poolvids.com, that would be great. I'm looking for that site to be a useful (and totally free) repository for member-contributed pool videos.