PDA

View Full Version : I think they could

Johnnyt
06-27-2007, 06:44 AM
I know that this is like whipping a dead horse and has probably been discussed on here many times over the years…but I can’t see any reason that a top female pro couldn’t compete on a coed tour in 14.1.

The break isn’t a factor like 9-ball or 8-ball, and rotation. There aren’t many shots that come up in 14.1 that you need a lot of strength for. I would bet a moderate sum that if the top 20 or so women only practiced and played 14.1 for six months to a year they would be just as competitive as the top men in a year.

I believe they could play one pocket at a pro level if they played and practiced it more also.

Am I wrong or am I forgetting about something? Johnnyt

TheOne
06-29-2007, 01:57 AM
I know that this is like whipping a dead horse and has probably been discussed on here many times over the years…but I can’t see any reason that a top female pro couldn’t compete on a coed tour in 14.1.

The break isn’t a factor like 9-ball or 8-ball, and rotation. There aren’t many shots that come up in 14.1 that you need a lot of strength for. I would bet a moderate sum that if the top 20 or so women only practiced and played 14.1 for six months to a year they would be just as competitive as the top men in a year.

I believe they could play one pocket at a pro level if they played and practiced it more also.

Am I wrong or am I forgetting about something? Johnnyt

Ive always thought the women should be competing at the same level as men in any game, I really don't buy the break excuse.

People like Alex and Dennis, not to mention the young kids that are doing well make this hard to accept. I've heard the muscle denisty theory but I'm not convinced.

I think Jasmine is proving that iof you play with the guys all the time you will eventually reach the same level, Karen to a certain extent too has done well against the men.

I agree however that 14.1 completely takes the break "debate" out of the picture, I just tend to think that the ladies would probably play the same level as the men in any event, the break really isn't that big a deal.

TheWizard
06-29-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm very much an open minded and equal viewed person, and I agree wholeheartedly, that there's no reason on this earth, to say that women shouldn't be able to compete at gamesa like Straight Pool, 1 Pocket, and Banks (15 or 9 ball banks), after all, when you get players like Jasmine, Jannette Lee, Alison Fisher, Jennifer Berretta, Karen Corr, etc, they are the perfect example of just jhow good the standard of womens pool is today, and I very much have the belief that they can give the men a run for their money, even more so, than these lame a$$ excuses, about break strength, etc, allows the ladies to show.

I personally believe that Pool, in any discipline should be very much open to competitors of either gender, simply because it is a sport enjoyed and played by all, and should the competitions should be open to all as well :), (Inc 8 ball & 9 ball)

Willie

JoeW
06-29-2007, 05:45 AM
The people with the best breaks are not big people. It is not size that matters but technique. I have said for years that pool is one of the few sports where men and women can compete on an equal footing. Not that they do but they can.

Blackjack
06-29-2007, 06:28 AM
IMO, Jasmin Ouschan is easily a better player at 14.1 than most male professional players and she is capable of competing with anybody, to include the top men. That is my opinion, I am sure there are those that will disagree - however I remember Jean Balukas tearing male players apart back in the day.

14.1 is a game where all you need is one good opening to start a big run. It is not a matter of male or female, but how we solve the puzzle of getting out. I had written an article quite a few years ago and it dealt with Male Vs Female problem solving/thinking. I modeled the article after a study I had seen about how men and women follow map directions differently and the information transferred over beautifully to pool - as it relates to patterns - problem solving - etc. I'll see if I still have it but it may have been lost when my last PC died.

SpiderWebComm
06-29-2007, 06:56 AM
I first met Jasmin at last year's world 14.1 championship. At first, like many others... all I thought was... wow, is she hot.

After I watched her play for about 15 minutes I thought.... oh my god, she's a killer. She beat some TOP-TOP male pro (i forget who) by running 75, safe, 75-out.

Can you imagine taking her into a poolroom before people knew who she was and trapping "WHOEVER" in a set of 14.1 (w/ them probably spotting her because she was a hot girl)?

I think unless you're a top echelon male pro, you're in for a long fight and most likely a headache in that game.

TheWizard
06-29-2007, 07:02 AM
The people with the best breaks are not big people. It is not size that matters but technique. I have said for years that pool is one of the few sports where men and women can compete on an equal footing. Not that they do but they can.

That is very true, in fact there is 1 player that comes to mind, Francisco Bustamante, he's around the same hieght as Efren, but yet, he has unoubtedly got one of, if not the most powerful breakshot in pool, I remember a few years back in the US Open, his break speed was clocked at 36mph or so, and that's alot of heat behind the snowball :)

IMO, Jasmin Ouschan is easily a better player at 14.1 than most male professional players and she is capable of competing with anybody, to include the top men. That is my opinion, I am sure there are those that will disagree - however I remember Jean Balukas tearing male players apart back in the day.

14.1 is a game where all you need is one good opening to start a big run. It is not a matter of male or female, but how we solve the puzzle of getting out. I had written an article quite a few years ago and it dealt with Male Vs Female problem solving/thinking. I modeled the article after a study I had seen about how men and women follow map directions differently and the information transferred over beautifully to pool - as it relates to patterns - problem solving - etc. I'll see if I still have it but it may have been lost when my last PC died.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on that Blackjack :), because like you say, Straight Pool, has never been a game that determines a win or loss by strength, it's always been about who the best player is, at running balls, but with a good head for strategy in working out how to run the next rack, and with a good ability for concentration and focus, as well as being a good, fluent and steady cueist, and I believe that there are many ladies out there, that are capable of competeing with the best of the men, and like you have mentioned, Jean Balukas is the perfect example of that :), and now with ladies like Jasmine, Jannette, Loree Jon, Vivian, Jennifer, and many others, are also prime examples of this :)