PDA

View Full Version : A remarkable foul -- 2007 WC 14.1

Bob Jewett
07-16-2007, 06:10 PM
One reason to attend tournaments is to see things that just aren't supposed to happen. One of those was a miscue on the opening break shot in one of the semifinal matches. The cue ball hit the head ball rather than the corner ball and then went down to the foot rail. Only one object ball went to the cushion so it was a breaking violation.

The incoming player took the balls in position. It's not clear that he knew he had a choice since I didn't hear the referee announce that he did. The scorekeeper marked the shot as the first of three fouls, which it wasn't. I managed to do a break violation three times in a row once and neither of us knew that it was only a 6-point penalty and not 21.

As I mentioned earlier in the main forum about Lassiter, it was said that he would take a two-point foul at the start of the game in hopes of setting the record with a 152-and-out run. Tony Robles had a chance for a 152 (I think) at the 2000 US Open, but missed at 148.

sjm
07-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Tony Robles had a chance for a 152 (I think) at the 2000 US Open, but missed at 148.

Absolutely right, Bob. Tony came to the table sitting on -2 and ran 148 against Johnny Archer, and I was there watching it at the Roseland in NYC.

cmssuits
07-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I too was there watching and still can't believe he missed. Funny how you're on a run and all the sudden a number gets to you, and bam, it's over.

juggler314
07-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah it is crazy, I played tony yesterday in the ABC straight pool league...he ran 145 and out on me. Needed 6 of the last rack, but obviously he was playing for the high run at this point. So he is on the last ball of the rack (aside from the break ball) - ball number 154 of the run. He takes his time, chalks up, it's a pretty much straight shot into the side pocket, at a medium angle. BAM miscue! Can you believe it...

and he had at least 2 potential run ender shots earlier in the middle of *very* difficult racks...