PDA

View Full Version : Got to be an error!

davesyrja
03-30-2003, 04:12 PM
I was just reviewing my 2000-2005 League Handbook I received from the BCA. Look at 8-Ball Rules:

4.9 OPEN TABLE. (Defined) The table is "open" when the choice of groups (stripes or solids) has not yet been determined. When the table is open, it is legal to hit a solid first to make a stripe or vice-versa. Note: The table is always open immediately after the break shot. When the table is open, it is legal to hit any solid or stripe or the 8-ball first in the process of pocketing the called stripe or solid. However, when the table is open and the 8-ball is the first ball contacted, it is a foul and no stripe or solid may be scored in favor of the shooter. The shooter loses his turn; the incoming player is awarded cue ball in hand; any balls pocketed remain pocketed; and the incoming player addresses the balls with the table still open. On an open table, all illegally pocketed balls remain pocketed.

Just a little contradiction here!

I checked the web site for reference to 4.9 and this sentence is different:

When the table is open, it is legal to hit any solid or stripe first in the process of pocketing the called stripe or solid.

jjinfla
03-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi Dave, The words "or the 8 ball first" are not in my copy of the BCA rulebook from 2002 - Billiards: The Official Rules & Records Book. Maybe they were trying to say that it is "possible" to hit the 8-ball first, but if you do then it is a foul. Or maybe they did intend the 8-ball to be neutral after the break. One would think that by now if they decide to change the wording in the rule book then a committee would make sure that they have the wording correct before they go to print. Jake

davesyrja
03-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Jake,

At one time it was OK to hit the 8-ball first on an open table. However, you didn't get to score any balls you might have made and you lost your turn at the table. But, it wasn't a foul.

They've changed the rule but didn't change it properly in the League Player's Handbook (received it this January). Nice to know they've got it right in the Official Rule Book.

jjinfla
04-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Dave,

I looked at a 1999 copy of the BCA rule book and the wording where it is okay to hit the 8 ball first is in there, but it is not a foul. Just a loss of turn and the incoming player does not get ball in hand. I think in 2002 (or 2000-2002) they changed the rule to make it a foul to hit the 8 ball first and the incoming player got ball in hand. I don't knnow what they were thinking when they wrote the new version of the rule. Because it sure can't be a legal shot and a foul. Jake