PDA

View Full Version : The "L" drill

JohnnyP
07-26-2007, 12:15 PM
I've been working on the L drill for a couple months, and got close a few times. Made eleven twice last night, practicing nothing else for three hours. I don't get bored with it.

How many out there can do it, and how long did it take you?

cuetable
07-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Here is the first CueTable Video Contest we put together with Tiger Products last June, including a layout and a video of a special version of L-Drill :

http://pl.cuetable.com/showthread.php?t=26

I would very much like to start something like this again if people are up for it...

steev
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I occasionally do this drill in many variations (left-to-right, right-to-left, every other ball, outside-in, inside-out). Pretty good success rate usually.

try it using no rails :D

-s

Bob Jewett
07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
I've been working on the L drill for a couple months, and got close a few times. Made eleven twice last night, practicing nothing else for three hours. I don't get bored with it.

How many out there can do it, and how long did it take you?
Well, I had been playing a year at least when I saw it for the first time, but I did it the first session that I tried it. Once you get past the corner, it gets easier, at least for me. Here is an article about it http://www.onthebreaknews.com/Jewett3.htm#December04 that might help. Try it with only 9 balls as shown. Move up to more when you can do 9 at least 1/3 of the time.

TheWizard
07-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I have used 30 different practice drills, including the "L" or as I remember it being also called "Around The Corner", I use this drill with 2 balls sets on the 1 table, 15 ball "L" set up at each opposing corners, and I would then practice running out the first set, but then playing position from the last ball of the 1st set, to the 1st ball on the 2nd set at the other end, playing in a continuous fashion :)

I have came up with a few drills of my own, a few with 2 full racks of balls on the table at once, and others that use 1 full set, but are quite difficult :)

All practice drill are worth playing, because they help you become sharper and keep you playing sharp :)

Willie

mnorwood
07-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Here is my rendition of the L drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cXUP9lr8OA

TheWizard
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Nice shooting, but man, the classical music just didn't quite fit :p lol, just kidding :)

Willie

JayBates
07-27-2007, 06:19 AM
that music reminds me of the old looney tunes cartoons....oh, nice shooting!
Jay

cigardave
07-27-2007, 01:04 PM
From the first time that I tried it to the first time that I got through all 15 balls was ~25 attempts IIRC... it was quite a few years back.

JohnnyP
07-27-2007, 01:41 PM
I usually mess up somewhere in the middle of the first string, failing to get high enough for the next ball. I often end up close to the rail near the side pocket, and can sometimes draw my way out of it. I'm also trying to avoid using two rails.

One of the rare times I went around the corner, I ended up about a ball below the string and out from the rail far enough to bridge, shooting at number ten. A very severe backward cut. I shot it with inside and made it, the ball just getting to the pocket, but the cueball scratched in the side. arg.

I'm impressed that you guys can do it with regularity. Back to the old drawing board.

Bob: Thanks for the diagrams. Referring to your half ball set up, using the four ball rack, I'm surprised that I can pocket a ball, considering the difference between the line of the shot, and the amount of throw. I never think of throw unless I'm trying to get some.

Bob Jewett
07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
... Bob: Thanks for the diagrams. Referring to your half ball set up, using the four ball rack, I'm surprised that I can pocket a ball, considering the difference between the line of the shot, and the amount of throw. I never think of throw unless I'm trying to get some.
And the trick is that you better not be thinking about it when you are playing or you are pretty much guaranteed to shoot the ball into the rail. See the ball, see the pocket, hit the ball into the pocket -- keep it that simple.

Practice and teaching are a different matter, and there I think it does help if all parties understand what's happening. Most don't seem to. There are still some instructors who don't think throw exists.

arsenius
07-31-2007, 04:41 AM
I can now do it once in about 5 tries. I was surprised to find this out. The last time I tried this drill was maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and I hadn't played very long. All I'll say is that I wasn't very good at it. I tried it again for the first time about 2 months ago and found it wasn't _too_ difficult any more.

Very pleasant surprise!

JoeW
07-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks Bob for the L drill articles. Makes practice more interesting. A great way to learn CB control.

JohnnyP
08-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I finally did it Thursday evening. I was just about ready to give up for the night after spending another three hours on it.

I made eleven and twelve a couple times, made it to the corner ball a lot, so I knew I was getting close.

Proud moment for me when Wayne Norcross came over to tell me he was watching. He said I played those last few perfectly, then said, "Ok, you made fifteen in a row, now try for thirty."

There is so much going on with some of these shots that the casual spectator won't see, but I don't have to tell you guys that. Main thing is to stay off the rail. I can sometimes get back in line from there, but you have to allow for a lot of swerve, even when rolling the ball.

TheWizard
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Nice one Johnny :D, 30 is what I used to practice quite regularly, and it's definitely good practice for Straight Pool, because you're learning to fine tune your CB control, but also you're looking to keep running balls :)

Well done again Johnny, keep up the good work :)

Willie

JohnnyP
08-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mr. Wizard. I'm also learing to use both sides of the pocket when the ball's not a hanger.

A couple times I came up with too steep an angle on the second or third ball, so instead of ultra slow rolling it, I stroked it hard enough to go up and down the table, falling good on the next ball.

TheWizard
08-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Anytime buddy :)

I know what you mean about getting too long a roll on the CB to get the shape you're looking for on the next OB, in those situations, it's sometimes better to roll a 2 lengths of the table for shape and other times it's better to slam the brakes on, it pretty much depends on what you feel most comfortable with, where the CB is located and what angle you got to shoot at :)

Again, well done on completeing the drill and you're now well on your way to the 30 balls, but give yourself a chance to master the 15 ball drill first :)

Willie

CreeDo
08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
This drill has been kicking my ass lately. It seems like the first 3 balls are automatic, then suddenly I have to start thinking. I can't reach a point where ball 4 is automatic too. I run 7-8 very often and almost never get enough angle on the 9th. If I do it's far away or on the rail or both.

Do you try to go 1 rail and over every single shot ideally? Also, I feel like there's a pattern when I shoot that goes... 1st ball - just side, 2nd ball, just side with a tiny hair below center, 3rd ball a touch less side and a little more below center, 4th ball even less side and maybe more below center... etc etc...

So as I progress, I need less and less side and more and more draw to ensure it isn't rolling forward much when it arrives. Is this natural? And do people try to play it this way? Does anyone try to do this with little or no side?

JohnnyP
08-04-2007, 03:59 AM
When I set up the balls, I put the first and last ones on the rail, to make it a little harder. With the first ball on the rail, I set the cueball at a shallow angle and use a little draw.

After about three hours of practice, I noticed a narrow triangle of chalk marks on the cloth in the area where I set up for the first shot.

At first I was trying to stun balls 2 - 5, but found that I was often going to the side rail. Duh. I'm having more success slow rolling them with some side, or sometimes a drag draw. I've found that the sharper the angle, the less outside you should use, or you will end up on the side rail, unless you want to use more side and go two rails.

Balls 6 - 8 may require just natural roll or with a hint of inside, but that's if you get perfect on them. Many times I'm straight in on them, or what's worse, just slightly above straight in. You have to stroke it with low outside to come back to the rail and spin up table a bit, but it's real easy to overdo it.

One of my favorite shots on the lower number balls is when I don't quite have enough angle to roll it, but it's too much angle to draw back and up, so I slam it with high outside. The cueball swoops forward and down to the bottom rail, then comes back off the rail on the same path it took going in, spinning into position like a top, if you're lucky.

TheWizard
08-04-2007, 09:16 AM
If you find yourself getting stuck on the side rail alot, when playing draw shots for shape on the next ball, then try playing a steeper angle when you get to the 3rd ball, by leaving the CB a tough shorter, than perfect shape, that way, you you make the 3rd ball, the CB should finish up a little high for the 4th ball, to finish up around 3.25 diamonds up the side rail and about 1.5 diamonds out is about perfect, this way you have a nice 1/2 ball angle and you can use follow and "running" English on the Cb, to follow 2 rails, and back out again to fall a little high again on the next ball, this way, you'll still be able to hve the angle you need to get shape on the next ball, and also you'll find that you have that little bit more error space for your next shot :)

Willie

Williebetmore
08-04-2007, 10:56 AM
So as I progress, I need less and less side and more and more draw to ensure it isn't rolling forward much when it arrives. Is this natural? And do people try to play it this way? Does anyone try to do this with little or no side?

Creed-man,
It can definitely be done without side English. I have done it many times without side, using only the vertical axis of the cue ball. For me, I only find myself needing any side English when I'm getting out of position and need to make a radical recovery shot.

See the "Deska Drills" as a way to play position without side English. I do think most will agree that if a shot can be made easily without side; it is probably a lower risk than using the side unnecessarily (your pocketing percentage is bound to go up at least a bit).

JohnnyP
08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Creedo: I'm trying to do the first seven balls one rail only. Down and back, unless I get straight in, then try to draw my way out of it.

Williebetmore: I'm replaying all the different shots in my mind. No spin would be great, but that means you need to control where and with what angle and speed the cueball hits the bottom rail. Well, you have to do that with every shot, so I'm confused again. Too many choices. Back to the table next week.

CreeDo
08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm looking forward to trying it with just vertical axis because it's stressful to judge how thick to hit it and now much it'll curve and throw etc. It'll be pretty delicate though to judge the amount of draw I'd think, and I dunno if I can make these funny cuts without outside (having had the awful habit of throwing them in for years).

I guess this is also a good time to learn to get rid of that completely.

Anyway I have new respect for anyone who can do the drill, I'd tried it last like 7 years ago without expecting to complete it. When I took it up again I expected to finish it in a few tries and was rudely surprised =)

SoundWaves
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
:rolleyes: When I took it up again I expected to finish it in a few tries and was rudely surprised =)

You and me both... Maybee I never tried this with all 15 balls. Gives me something to do this year I guess.

arsenius
08-24-2007, 02:34 AM
This drill has been kicking my ass lately. It seems like the first 3 balls are automatic, then suddenly I have to start thinking. I can't reach a point where ball 4 is automatic too. I run 7-8 very often and almost never get enough angle on the 9th. If I do it's far away or on the rail or both.

Do you try to go 1 rail and over every single shot ideally? Also, I feel like there's a pattern when I shoot that goes... 1st ball - just side, 2nd ball, just side with a tiny hair below center, 3rd ball a touch less side and a little more below center, 4th ball even less side and maybe more below center... etc etc...

Creedo,
I have noticed this "first 3 balls are automatic" phenomenon myself. For me, that can make me kind of fall asleep because those are so easy. To overcome this I try to play super tight position for those 3 balls. I try to pick the exact spot I want, instead of taking whatever position I get, since you can't go wrong. If I mess that up I'm likely to start over, even if I don't miss a ball. If I don't do this, I am liable to be out of position by the fourth ball.

Bob Jewett
08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
In another thread, I proposed the "C" drill with balls surrounding the cue ball so you would have to shoot them to the corners and the sides. I tried this but couldn't find any practical arrangement of the balls in any shape resembling a "C".

predator
08-27-2007, 04:23 AM
I do this L drill with all 15 balls. Unfortunately, I can only finish it once in about 30 tries. Wish I could do better, but I don't position the cueball very good.

CreeDo
08-27-2007, 06:14 AM
This drill is still kicking my ass, and I'm supposed to be instructing people lol... doing it without sidespin is *tough*. A slight difference in how high or low you hit and the speed matters a lot.

Today I watched a guy do a neat practice drill. He lined the balls up for what I thought was the wagon wheel. But he didn't shoot them. Instead he lined up a basic 35ish degree cut on the short rail and used varying spins to try to collide with the ball nearest the rail (which he removed if he hit it), then the next ball in line, then the next, etc... until all the balls were removed. Why is it people like that won't play with me?! We get good players so rarely and they all flee if you offer a game. Must be my approach. Anyway I learned a new drill.

I've seen an O-drill but you can't use all the balls, I guess it's just called the circle drill and it's a pretty small circle. I'd be impressed with anyone making more than 6 balls out of it without leaving the circle.

Neil
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM

CreeDo
08-28-2007, 05:04 AM
=_= 2nd try...