PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pool Money Games???

TheWizard
08-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey Guys :)

I have been pondering a few thoughts, about the serious lack of majot Straight Pool tournaments, and so, I got to wondering, for those of you who play locally, do you ever play for money at straight pool, and if so, do you use any local league handicapps, or do you both play from scratch(000)?

The reason I ask is, I have been thinking about trying to set up a few local straight pool games for something small, say first to 150 for 25 GBP/$45 - $50 USD, would you play a few money games at Straight Pool, if the oppertunity arose? :)

Willie

Bob Jewett
08-01-2007, 03:31 PM
... I have been thinking about trying to set up a few local straight pool games for something small, say first to 150 for 25 GBP/$45 - $50 USD, would you play a few money games at Straight Pool, if the oppertunity arose? ...
Just get the word out that you are looking for such a thing and you might find a lot of old-timers coming out of semi-retirement.

But I think a better way to get some interest going is to start up a handicapped league -- either a local one or the national one that selftaut is working on. I think it is a less threatening environment to get players into the game. I think you will find that some of them will try small wagers at 14.1 if they were doing something similar at 9 ball before.

poolplayer2093
08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
yeah i try every now and again. i don't play it that well but i still enjoy adding a few bucks to the game.

steev
08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
the guys i play 14.1 with always negotiate the spot each time. i usually play to 100, but one guy likes to play to 50 (he gets 33). we usually play cheap, 10 or 20 beans. i get about 2 games a month so it's a little rare.

-s

Joe
08-03-2007, 06:49 AM
IMO, the only real way to have people play in a straight pool tournament is to handicap it. It'll promote gambling outside of the tournament in the game too as people try to focus on the game. Anyone who can run 50 balls 1/20 racks though will probably beat a player with a high run of 30 even with weight. So, some skill levels just can't play together.

Williebetmore
08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey Guys :)

I have been pondering a few thoughts, about the serious lack of majot Straight Pool tournaments, and so, I got to wondering, for those of you who play locally, do you ever play for money at straight pool, and if so, do you use any local league handicapps, or do you both play from scratch(000)?

The reason I ask is, I have been thinking about trying to set up a few local straight pool games for something small, say first to 150 for 25 GBP/$45 - $50 USD, would you play a few money games at Straight Pool, if the oppertunity arose? :)

Willie

W,
As I basically only play 14.1; I do try to play for money fairly regularly. On the advice of one of my guru's (a top pro player with whom I play 14.1 weekly) I only gamble with "strangers". I probably find a money match once a month or so - usually the up and coming "kids" at the pool hall who only play 9-ball, but want some new diversion. I think they intuitively realize what readers of the "Barouty/Orcullo" thread are being shown - if you can pocket balls, you can be a 14.1 force.

If I gambled with my friends, I would feel badly if I won and took their money; I would feel badly if I lost to them. With "strangers" no such compunction exists, and the gambling really helps me develop my concentration and "killer instincts." The local pro's (friends) refuse to gamble with me.

We use handicaps in our straight pool league, making the matches usually very close no matter the relative skill level of the contestants. I have never used handicaps in gambling at 14.1.

Bob Jewett
08-03-2007, 11:40 AM
IMO, the only real way to have people play in a straight pool tournament is to handicap it. It'll promote gambling outside of the tournament in the game too as people try to focus on the game. Anyone who can run 50 balls 1/20 racks though will probably beat a player with a high run of 30 even with weight. So, some skill levels just can't play together.
I think you can have a pretty wide range if the handicaps are adjusted correctly. In league last week I played to 140 while my opponent was going to 35. I happened to be playing very well and he only got to 7 (or about 15 if you give back the fouls ;) ). I think the same player beat me the previous time we played.

The advantage to the weaker player in a match like that is that he gets to experience first hand a higher-level game. The advantage to the better player is that he is forced to play well even against the weak player because of the large handicap -- no slacking off allowed.

I've played with spots as wide as 140-20 in this league.

Williebetmore
08-03-2007, 02:55 PM
So, some skill levels just can't play together.

Joe,
I will have to respectfully disagree with this notion. Our 14.1 league (as does Bob Jewett's league on the other side of the country) has players of hugely different skill levels. We have 2 top pro players, as well as several total bangers. With proper handicapping the bangers are always a threat to win (the pro's play them 200-30; and you know what happens when you give a banger a wide open table; he is liable to run a 10 on you). It is a BUNCH of fun.

Mike_Mason
08-03-2007, 10:12 PM
We had terrific straight pool tourneys in Salem back in the 70's...Play to your handicap.

Top players were rated 100...we had a half dozen...and they had to make 100 balls to win a match.

Whatever your rating, that was how many balls you needed to pocket in order to win the match. For instance, if you were rated at 25...and matched up against someone rated 100...then you simply had to pocket 25 balls before your opponent pocketed 100.

If you were rated 45 and your opponent rated 60...then you won if you pocketed 45 balls before your opponent pocketed 60...

Very simple...and we kept the ratings chart posted prominently...tournament director...me...aka benevolent dictator...could be convinced by a player to change his/her handicap...but the players pretty much played to their handicap over time...and policed themselves...

And the chart was used extensively to negotiate money games...

It's simple and it works...

Scottster
08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
some skill levels just can't play together.

Joe I am gonna have to humbly disagree with you.

The 14.1 league I run is handicapped, and the matches are super competitive. The skill level of the league members range from high "C" level to "World Champion" level (NO BS) and on numerous occasions we have had matches come down to a difference of only 5 points or less.

14.1 is the game that all league players whom are students of the game should be playing.

selftaut
08-04-2007, 01:07 AM
I think you can have a pretty wide range if the handicaps are adjusted correctly. In league last week I played to 140 while my opponent was going to 35. I happened to be playing very well and he only got to 7 (or about 15 if you give back the fouls ;) ). I think the same player beat me the previous time we played.

The advantage to the weaker player in a match like that is that he gets to experience first hand a higher-level game. The advantage to the better player is that he is forced to play well even against the weak player because of the large handicap -- no slacking off allowed.

I've played with spots as wide as 140-20 in this league.

I am 100% in agreement with Bob here, if properly handicapped it works just fine, I had a match last night in one league that was handicapped 140 to 30 , it was 138 to 29 when the player with 29 "dogged it" with a routine looking shot, but just happened to leave safe behind the rack! safety battle ensues, 140 player wins the safety battle and the match 140 to 29.