PDA

View Full Version : What to do here?

cuetable
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I had a great chance and pleasure to play Steve tonight. Even though he has warned me he has been out of stroke recently, he still have some great run in the 40s.

Here is a layout where I got stocked. I was super lucky to get a good break shot somehow later and my solution might be a straight pool player's nightmare.

What would be the correct way to play this?

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4GLAC4HCPq4NRgO4PBXh@

Bob Jewett
08-08-2007, 10:55 PM
... What would be the correct way to play this? ...
I'd have to see it on a table, but I think you either have to get on the 7 for a poor break or move the 8 for a good break. I'd try 14 in the side and move the 8. If you hit it badly or end with no shot on the 7, you can probably play the 8 and get some kind of few-ball break from the 7.

Jude Rosenstock
08-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Well, I'm not the straight pool player Steve is but I'll give it a whirl.

I don't like any of these shots as break-balls as it stands so I'm pocketing the 14-ball and trying to run into the 8-ball. If I miss the 8-ball, I'm likely going to have another chance of bumping it when I pocket the 7-ball.

I would rather do this, fail and end up playing safe than trying to break into the next rack as is.

dmgwalsh
08-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Well, I'm not the straight pool player Steve is but I'll give it a whirl.

I don't like any of these shots as break-balls as it stands so I'm pocketing the 14-ball and trying to run into the 8-ball. If I miss the 8-ball, I'm likely going to have another chance of bumping it when I pocket the 7-ball.

I would rather do this, fail and end up playing safe than trying to break into the next rack as is.

I'd probably try the same thing.

The only other thing would be thin cut on the 8, TRY to hold the cue, cut the 7 and break off the 14 in the side, probably by dragging the cue ball down near the corner, two rails into the last ball on the bottom right of the rack.

Steve Lipsky
08-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Wei's shot on the 8 was a tad easier than he's making it look. It was a very makeable shot.

To my mind, 8-7-14 is the way to go. The 14 is the only viable break shot he had (2 rails with low right into the back corner of the stack). When I saw him shooting it first I tried to stop him but he would hear none of it ;)

Thanks for the game Wei!

- Steve

Jude Rosenstock
08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Wei's shot on the 8 was a tad easier than he's making it look. It was a very makeable shot.

To my mind, 8-7-14 is the way to go. The 14 is the only viable break shot he had (2 rails with low right into the back corner of the stack). When I saw him shooting it first I tried to stop him but he would hear none of it ;)

Thanks for the game Wei!

- Steve

I had a feeling the 14 was going to be the break shot. That's a nice one. I like those side-pocket break shots a lot.

3andstop
08-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Based on the layout as shown, I'd have to agree that playing the 14 and trying to hit the 8 for position on the 7 is what sticks out.

Of course there was in the back of my mind the fact that the 8 was in the rack and would be spotted. This lends itself to a possible two railer from behind the rack also if you could get postion to play the 8 in one of the top corners.

No matter what, it isn't really appealing. :)

Bob Jewett
08-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Wei's shot on the 8 was a tad easier than he's making it look. It was a very makeable shot....
I considered the 14 as a break, but as drawn above it looks impossible to hold the position on the 7 from the 8. Of course, as drawn, you could use a little reverse on the 8 and go to the end rail for 4 cushions (or 6) to the 7.

Steve Lipsky
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I considered the 14 as a break, but as drawn above it looks impossible to hold the position on the 7 from the 8. Of course, as drawn, you could use a little reverse on the 8 and go to the end rail for 4 cushions (or 6) to the 7.

I agree, Bob. That's why I thought it important to note that the 8 wasn't quite as tough a shot as Wei drew... the way he diagrammed it, you almost had to shoot the 14 first.

cuetable
08-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the game Wei!

- Steve

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4GLAC4HDFq4NRgO4PBXh4cDFq4ccpv4kBXh4kBaf3kLpj3kb PE1kLxk1kbQM3kLEy@4GLAC4HDFq4NRgO4PBXh4bLAC3bJqd4k BXh4kPsY4kbYW4kQnj4kNUL4kMmc@4GLAC4HDFq4NRgO4PBXh4 bLAC4bJMj4bFcv4iRgO1idxB4kBXh4kPsY4kbXc4kLwm4kEVj3 kCBc@4GLAC4NRgO3PKOq4QABD3RUUT@

As I got on the table to play, I told myself to try doing it the right way (no bank, no hanging up balls, no slow rolling, no trap setting, no fancy position, etc. Blocking out any ideas of one pocket completely)

Steve is right, the 8 was probably easier than the diagram, but I didn't feel I was able to stop the CB. Bob's shot was available (page 1). However, getting from the 7 to the right spots on the 14 would be a challenge for me honestly.. :o I will open a new case later about this layout...

What Happened
At the time I was thinking, hold up the CB long to knock the 7 up (something like page 2). Hopefully I would have some kind of shot on the 8, and I will deal with whatever happens later... Even if I went too long the CB could knock the 8 out.

Then I got too short, and the layout on page 3 happened. I was super lucky to get a straight in on the 8. I drew back and got a behing the rack reverse draw break...

A New Case
As a mid-level player I don't really have a clue here (page 4) on setting up the 14 ball for break shot....

Question: Where would be the ideal CB spot for the 7 and where would it be for the 14?

All comments welcome and appreciated :)

Thank you very much too Steve for the game. Looking forward to play again. There are many things I have to work on to play this game right, especially the pacing and the mental game. I do hope to improve by playing it more from now on.

3andstop
08-09-2007, 12:51 PM
IMO I don't see anything wrong with setting up for the 14 in the corner if possible. Play the cue ball parallel to the 14 about mid way up from the side pocket and the first diamond. This way, if position is obtainable, you don't have to go rail first for the break.

sjm
08-09-2007, 07:32 PM
If a pattern onto the fourteen in the side break shot is there, that's best.

If not, slow roll the fourteen into the side and it shouldn't be difficult to get dead staight on the eight in the corner. Leave the cue in the rack and break the next pack with the seven in the corner.

mnorwood
08-09-2007, 08:53 PM
If it were me shooting it I would use the fourteen in the side. I think I could move the 8 but for me it is too low percentage at this stage in my game.