PDA

View Full Version : An incredible break shot

Blackjack
08-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Here is a diagram of my unbelievable break shot during my 128 ball run yesterday (08-11-07)

I was at 112... and came up WAYYYYYYYY short on my position ... and I was left with this...

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AChA4BMLx3CCpA4DCYe4EFCe3FCxe4GBKP3HAMB3IAUe3JF bd4KDnP3LBjP3MEMO4NBJl3OBal4PXFV@

I had seen this shot before, but I had never tried it or had the opportunity to try it... the trick is to send the two into the stack and have it deflect back into the corner pocket. When I shot it, the 2 actually leaped off the table and flew into the pocket! I am going to try to set it up again and post in on youtube...

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AChA4BMLx3CCpA4DCYe4EFCe3FCxe4GBKP3HAMB3IAUe3JF bd4KDnP3LBjP3MEMO4NBJl3OBal4PXFV4VMLx4VGYM4Vcpp4Vc pp4kXFV4kOwp4kOgq@

Pushout
08-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Many years ago, I made a similar shot. Both balls were higher, though. And I couldn't duplicate it:(

robertno1pool
08-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Very nice shot.

I have made this shot many times. Likely only because I did not leave as good a position on the cue ball as I was trying to get.

I have made it with the break ball a little closer to the head rail where collision with the cue ball was a concern and used a ligther hit.

This is a pretty shot in pool when you can get the "click-click" action correct. This is diagramed in someone book (but I can not rember which).

Pretty in practice, but a safety might make more sense if my percentages of success do not improve for sinking this shot.

Blackjack
08-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Very nice shot.

I have made this shot many times. Likely only because I did not leave as good a position on the cue ball as I was trying to get.

I have made it with the break ball a little closer to the head rail where collision with the cue ball was a concern and used a ligther hit.

This is a pretty shot in pool when you can get the "click-click" action correct. This is diagramed in someone book (but I can not rember which).

Pretty in practice, but a safety might make more sense if my percentages of success do not improve for sinking this shot.

Robert,

I am pretty sure that I saw the shot diagrammed in 99 Critical Shots, but I may be wrong. It really is a beautiful shot!

3andstop
08-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Wow, LOL, if you made that one, I'd love to see what got ya stuck 15 balls later...

btw, after that shot, is it even legal to count the rest up to 128? :)

jk of course ...

cuetable
08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
This is amazing. Did you look at it as a "Kiss Back" shot?

mosconiac
08-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I saw that shot in an instructional feature in some random magazine recently, but it was shot into the back of the rack. Kudos for knowing it, committing to it, and (most importantly) making it.

CreeDo
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm the only guy apparently who hasn't seen and made this shot 287 times before. WTF is going on here? Someone called it a kissback? So the 2 hits the 11 square and sits there, then something else pops out of the stack, rebounds into the stack, and kisses it back towards the hole?

Or the 2 hits the left side of the 11, caroms into the 5 and and in turn caroms into the pocket, like one of those "between balls" scratches?

Bob Jewett
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm the only guy apparently who hasn't seen and made this shot 287 times before. ... Or the 2 hits the left side of the 11, caroms into the 5 and and in turn caroms into the pocket, like one of those "between balls" scratches?
I had never seen this shot before, either. Frankly, I thought that BJ (the other one) had been into Aunt Bessie's "herbal" brownies. Rather than immediately point out the impossibility of the shot, I tried it last night. If the balls are sitting right, it's about a 50% shot for me. It is made by hitting the 11 ball first and then caroming off the 15. If you hit the 15 barely first, I think you have a good chance to make the ball in the other corner on that side of the table, but I didn't try that on purpose.

It helps if the break ball is sitting a little higher on the rack, so you have more speed to the side and into the 15. The break ball often seems to have some funny spin on it between the rack and the pocket.

This is one of those shots that is an interesting psychological move. Your opponent will think you're insane if you try it. If you make it, he'll figure the gods are against him. If you miss it, he might be distracted enough by playing a crazy person to miss his next shot.

The other off-the-rack shot that was recently published I believe was a "bounce off the back of the rack" shot by Bob Byrne in Professor Q-Ball's National Pool and 3-Cushion News.

the9ballroller
08-15-2007, 11:42 AM
To me it looks like a bumper pool shot, nothing wrong with a little creativity and keeping the run going.

Good shot BlackJack

thyme3421
08-15-2007, 02:34 PM
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AAMv4BCYB3CCpA4DCYe4EFCe3FCxe4GBKP3HAMB3IAUe3JF bd4KDnP3LBjP3MEMO4NBJl3OBal3PBUk3UAMv4Ucxs3kBUk3kB TL7kCyF3kEdq7kFSu3kKgM3kKgM3kOmp2uDKA@

I was checking out a book a while back... and it was discussing the transfer of english to object balls.

Displayed this shot, the CB has a ton of top english, and because of the entire rack supporting the OB, there's more contact time to transfer english from CB to OB.... since the reverse of Top, is Bottom... Fwd. english turns into backspin, backspinning the ball right into the pocket.

I've earned a drink or 2 from friends showing this exact shot... "I'll put the 1 in this corner pocket, with 1 stroke."

The reason I bring this up is I'm wondering if it's the same concept (transfer of english, inducing draw on the OB??) or if it's different.

Neil
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM

Mike_Mason
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Billy Hodgkins used to play a break ball in this position off the side of the pack...with good results only against me lol...into the upper right corner in this Blackjack diagram...