PDA

View Full Version : Old Straight Pool Videos?

StraightPoolIU
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know if there is somewhere that has videos of old straightpool tournaments that might be currently out of print. I was thinking along the lines of any of the old PPPA World Championships or any of the U.S. Opens before 1992. Also as an adendem does anyone know why the old matches between Mosconi and Fats from TV have never been reaired on ESPN Classic or made available in video form? I understand these were quite popular at the time, but the only things I saw on ESPN classic were trickshot magic, international challenge of champions etc etc.

JimS
08-21-2007, 06:03 AM
Giving this a bump. I don't think that the Mosconi/Fats tapes were worth thinking about. No good pool there... as I remember. Mostly just edited crap with Fats running his mouth to entertain... again, that's how I remember it.

Blackjack
08-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Giving this a bump. I don't think that the Mosconi/Fats tapes were worth thinking about. No good pool there... as I remember. Mostly just edited crap with Fats running his mouth to entertain... again, that's how I remember it.

You're right Jim, it wasn't very good at all.

I know there are some Irving Crane tapes out there somewhere, as well as some old stuff from the Accu-stats vault (but you'd have to nudge Pat to transfer it over to dvd because I believe it's all VHS). I have the VHS tape of Mike Zuglan's 109 against Cisero Murphy - I think that was in 1991. I'm also pretty sure that Pat has some Miz laying around somewhere (let's hope so).

lfigueroa
08-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Does anyone know if there is somewhere that has videos of old straightpool tournaments that might be currently out of print. I was thinking along the lines of any of the old PPPA World Championships or any of the U.S. Opens before 1992. Also as an adendem does anyone know why the old matches between Mosconi and Fats from TV have never been reaired on ESPN Classic or made available in video form? I understand these were quite popular at the time, but the only things I saw on ESPN classic were trickshot magic, international challenge of champions etc etc.

I believe you can get a lot of old clips, like some of the old Mosconi and Hoppe WWII era trick shot videos, and the Mosconi/Fats events, on a couple of tapes Bert Kinister use to have in his catalog.

I also believe there's a 1963 Mosconi/Caras 125 point "World Invitational" that originally aired on ABC WWoS floating around somewhere out there. On that tape they refer to a match from the previous fall, that may also be out there.

Lou Figueroa

CreeDo
08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I'd like to check out some of those too.

I have some stuff from the 90's, send me a pm and maybe I can figure out if I have some of what you're looking for. I don't have the PPPA but I may have a video or two from the 1993 cleveland invitational, a 1989 match with ortman vs. jones, sigel vs zuglan at the 92 usosp, a few from the 95 maine event, and a handful of random other videos.

dmgwalsh
08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
I also believe there's a 1963 Mosconi/Caras 125 point "World Invitational" that originally aired on ABC WWoS floating around somewhere out there. On that tape they refer to a match from the previous fall, that may also be out there.

Lou Figueroa

I've got the 63 Mosconi/Caras and also have some old Crane/Burke and Crane with some other guys, 1986 I think.

Blackjack:

I'd love to see the Zuglan vhs. I could convert it to dvd for you.

PALMERJOHN
08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I would like to get the Mosconi/Caras 1963 match. Could you tell me where
you found it, or, could I somehow buy a copy from you. Would appreciate
info. Thanks, Palmerjohn.

pdcue
08-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I've got the 63 Mosconi/Caras and also have some old Crane/Burke and Crane with some other guys, 1986 I think.

Blackjack:

I'd love to see the Zuglan vhs. I could convert it to dvd for you.

Care to enlighten us on the level of play in the Mosconi/Caras match.
Any good runs?

I know Willie was still capable of raining 100s in 1963, and Jimmy
was still prety sporty too. IIRC - Caras was to win the first US Open
in 1965(?) - anybody remember?

Dale

dmgwalsh
08-21-2007, 12:11 PM
I would like to get the Mosconi/Caras 1963 match. Could you tell me where
you found it, or, could I somehow buy a copy from you. Would appreciate
info. Thanks, Palmerjohn.

pm me your address and I'll burn you a copy for the grand sum of bupkus.

dmgwalsh
08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Care to enlighten us on the level of play in the Mosconi/Caras match.
Any good runs?

I know Willie was still capable of raining 100s in 1963, and Jimmy
was still prety sporty too. IIRC - Caras was to win the first US Open
in 1965(?) - anybody remember?

Dale
Haven't watched it in a long while. I remember Willie pouting on the sidelines :mad: and Caras making like Machine Gun Lou and knocking everything in.:D

alstl
08-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Haven't watched it in a long while. I remember Willie pouting on the sidelines :mad: and Caras making like Machine Gun Lou and knocking everything in.:D

I enjoyed watching it even though Willie was a little past his prime at that point. One thing I remember is how Caras kind of shuffled as he moved around the table, he seemed very focused. The referee would call the ball, "two ball, corner pocket" and then reach out over the table and point to the ball and then draw a line from the ball to the pocket with his finger. That seemed to annoy Wille.

There is an interview of Caras on propoolvideo.com that is worth watching. He is still sharp as a tack, can remember details of matches from 50 years ago.

StraightPoolIU
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
I have the Sigel 150&out against Zuglan in 1992, but I've also heard Sigel has another 150&out on tape that's no longer in print. That suprises me because who doesn't want to see 150 and out? Also I heard Archer has one on tape that's not available any longer either. Anybody have those?

prewarhero
08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I have the Sigel 150&out against Zuglan in 1992, but I've also heard Sigel has another 150&out on tape that's no longer in print. That suprises me because who doesn't want to see 150 and out? Also I heard Archer has one on tape that's not available any longer either. Anybody have those?

sigel has a 150 form the 1989 us open vs rempe
zuglan had a 148 and out vs ray martin in the 92 us open
zuglan had another 148 and out in 1988 vs calavito
and reyes has a high run of 123 run in 1995 maine event.
and rempe has a 133 and out vs varner in the 1989 cleveland 14.1

all but the 92 zuglan i belive are out of print

but if anyone knows straight pool videos it is Dennis

JimS
08-21-2007, 08:37 PM
There used to be a series of tapes availble called the Legends of Pool. Balsis, Lassiter, Cowboy Moore, others. I don't recall if any were straight pool however. I have a couple of the tapes. I'll see if I can find them... if anyone is interested.

dmgwalsh
08-22-2007, 03:05 AM

Got them both.

Archer/Carter 1992, I believe. No commentary.
Sigel/Rempe 150 and out.

TheWizard
08-22-2007, 08:08 AM
The US Open title match between Crane/Balsis, is in the Divx site "Stage 6".

I'll post the link a little later, as the site stage 6 admin team must be doing some updating to the site, etc, as the site is unavailable at the moment, but I'll post the link later, when it's available again.

Willie

Blackjack
08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
The US Open title match between Crane/Balsis, is in the Divx site "Stage 6".

I'll post the link a little later, as the site stage 6 admin team must be doing some updating to the site, etc, as the site is unavailable at the moment, but I'll post the link later, when it's available again.

Willie

Here's the link...

Crane VS Balsis (http://stage6.divx.com/user/PoolRevoluter21/video/1068456/CLASH-OF-THE-TITANS)

its working now.

Poz
08-22-2007, 09:05 AM
pm me your address and I'll burn you a copy for the grand sum of bupkus.

Dennis

Could you burn one for me as well. Thanks.

Poz

SUPERSTAR
08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
zuglan had a 148 and out vs ray martin in the 92 us open

Actually, Zuglan runs 148 out of the gate and dogs it needing 2 balls.
It's the video where he makes a gun from his fingers, and shoots himself.

TheWizard
08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Here's the link...

Crane VS Balsis (http://stage6.divx.com/user/PoolRevoluter21/video/1068456/CLASH-OF-THE-TITANS)

its working now.

Thank you, BJ, some rep just sent to your good self :)

Willie

SUPERSTAR
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Can anyone tell me, what type of case both individuals, (Crane and Balsis), have in that video?

Bob Jewett
01-27-2008, 04:14 PM
... I also believe there's a 1963 Mosconi/Caras 125 point "World Invitational" that originally aired on ABC WWoS floating around somewhere out there. On that tape they refer to a match from the previous fall, that may also be out there.

Lou Figueroa
Selftaut has pointed out this on-line version of that match:

http://www.surreypool.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=180

I noted the following about the match in the main forum:

The referee was a total idiot. His main job seemed to be to shark the players with waving arms and missed calls. Also, he didn't help with the bridge as he should have.

The lack of call at 15:05 was questionable. I wonder what rules they were playing by.

The mechanical bridge evidently scratched Caras's cue as he had to work for a minute to smooth it after a bridge shot.

It looked like Mosconi missed two shots due to table roll. One was a safe where he missed the ball entirely and the other was a moderately soft shot to the far corner where he didn't even touch the jaws. Between that and the idiot ref, I'm not surprised that he was irritated.

bud green
01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Willie looked PISSED!!!! Holy crap, he looked like he wanted to kill that moron ref in a painful manner. I don't blame him- that guy was the biggest idiot I may have ever seen in pool.

Willie and Jimmy ran around the table like the place was going to blow up in an hour or something. I didn't realize they played THAT freakin quick.

I listened to Eddie Taylor talking about Mosconi the other day on a DVD. He said Willie was a good guy outside of the pool room, but hated to lose so bad he sometimes wouldn't even talk to someone who beat him for a year after the match. Thats hilarious.

Cool video. Thanks for the link.

metallicane
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Sigel/Rempe has no commentary either. I emailed Pat Fleming to see if he was going to put that tape on a DVD. I have not heard back yet. I would love to get that on DVD.

metallicane
02-29-2008, 06:51 AM
I got an email from Pat yesterday that he has no immediate plans to put the Sigel/Rempe match on DVD. Maybe if enough people ask for it he will do it. What does everyone think?

StraightPoolIU
02-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Since those are my two of my favorite players of all time I'd be all for that.

dmgwalsh
02-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I got an email from Pat yesterday that he has no immediate plans to put the Sigel/Rempe match on DVD. Maybe if enough people ask for it he will do it. What does everyone think?

Either that or convert the vhs to dvd.