PDA

View Full Version : Quick (and arguably dumb) question about Equal Offense

Cuebacca
08-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I intend to start playing straight pool more than once in a blue moon, and I played Equal Offense for the first time last night. My first rack went great and I got a 20. Yay! I continued to shoot and ended up with my high run of a whopping 26. Woo! :) The other 9 racks didn't go so well at all. LOL. :o

Anyway, on to my question... The rules (http://www.ieotour.com/about/rules.htm) state that play after the break starts with cue ball in hand in the kitchen. Is it implied that you have the option to leave the cue ball where it lies after the break? I just wanted to make sure, as I was surprised that it was not stated as being option. Thanks in advance.

Cuebacca
08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I was surprised that it was not stated as being option.

Thinking about this some more, maybe the point of the rule being that way is to force additional practice at starting with cueball in the kitchen, which is a scenario that comes up often in straight pool?

selftaut
08-30-2007, 12:26 PM
It is cue ball in the kitchen only, but I think it was because the cue ball could get frozen with no shot after the break, so it was intended to take that bad luck out of the game.

Cuebacca
08-30-2007, 06:41 PM
It is cue ball in the kitchen only, but I think it was because the cue ball could get frozen with no shot after the break, so it was intended to take that bad luck out of the game.

Thanks! Yeah, that part of the rule made sense to me. It seems analogous to playing the ghost in 9-ball, where you get ball in hand after the break. I just wasn't sure what the rationale was behind not letting you shoot from where the cueball stopped, if you like that position better. So, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. (I can already tell that I need all the help I can get in this game. :D)

alstl
09-04-2007, 12:07 PM
I play equal offense almost exclusively when I'm playing by myself. You spot any balls made on the break and start with ball in hand behind the headstring.

There is a version popularized by Alan Hopkins where you have more options after the break. Search for drivermaker memorial tournament for the rules.

I like equal offense better than straight pool because you use the whole table more. If I get to where I can average 100 on my table, 9', then I will add other stuff besides equal offense.

Cuebacca
09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I play equal offense almost exclusively when I'm playing by myself. You spot any balls made on the break and start with ball in hand behind the headstring.

There is a version popularized by Alan Hopkins where you have more options after the break. Search for drivermaker memorial tournament for the rules.

I like equal offense better than straight pool because you use the whole table more. If I get to where I can average 100 on my table, 9', then I will add other stuff besides equal offense.

EO definitely seems like a good game. I can see myself spending a good amount of time with it too.

I found those DMMHT threads. Thanks! Not only does it sound like a great game, but any thread that involves WBM and Breakup banter is worth reading. :D I'll give the Q Skill Challenge a try soon.

SoundWaves
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I found those DMMHT threads. Thanks! Not only does it sound like a great game, but any thread that involves WBM and Breakup banter is worth reading. :D I'll give the Q Skill Challenge a try soon.

You better start your practicing, the 2008 challenge is right around the corner!

Cuebacca
09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
You better start your practicing, the 2008 challenge is right around the corner!

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I tried a round of it last night and it was a lot of fun. The 10 frames included three 0's and three 20's. :D I guess I need to work on my consistency. LOL.

SoundWaves
09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I tried a round of it last night and it was a lot of fun. The 10 frames included three 0's and three 20's. :D I guess I need to work on my consistency. LOL.

So you are doing OK. I didn't see a 20 till long after I finished the challenge. You just need to know your limitations and get rid of those 0's. Good luck!

Shawn Armstrong
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I hate to ask, but how did you end up with a zero, let alone more than one? I'm not being smart. I just was wondering how you couldn't score a single point.

Shawn Armstrong
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I hate to ask, but how did you end up with a zero, let alone more than one? I'm not being smart. I just was wondering how you couldn't score a single point.

Cuebacca
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM

HAHAHA! Yes, I know, I suck at pool. Next question? LOL. :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe you thought I meant a zero for an entire session of 10 racks? The zeros were actually just for individual racks within one session. Basically, I had three racks where I missed the first shot of the rack. I made a poor selection and tried a difficult shot right out of the gate, instead of coming back for the ball later when I might have had a chance to create an easier shot.

SoundWaves
09-05-2007, 06:05 PM

If you try hard enough you can get a -1. You should try it. An example of a zero would be breaking the balls and missing the next shot, or scratching on the break and missing your second shot. Remember he is not talking about equal offence.