PDA

View Full Version : Dream Straight Pool Matchup

StraightPoolIU
08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Since it has been the trend lately for two top players to match up in a long race in rotation games like 9ball and 10ball who would you like to see matched up head to head in a straight pool game to 1000 points? I just wanted to throw the idea out there and if there's a demand maybe someone will put it together.

Solartje
08-30-2007, 02:19 PM
i'd love to play vs myself when im playing well, so i can see what i never see and learn...

i'd pay ALOT for that :)

TheOne
08-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Ronnie O Sullivan after 6 months coaching with Alan Hopkins v Mosconi on a 10ft table with tight pockets.

I know who'd I'd back ;)

COLLECTION GURU
08-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Jasmine And Thorsten

Vs

Jeanette And Mr. 400

StraightPoolIU
08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Yea I was definitely thinking of what two current players would you liked to see matched up in a 1000 point match. I think I'd like to see Thorsten and John Schmidt.

marknyc
08-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Thomas Engert and Thorsten

Blackjack
08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Danny Harriman Vs Leil Gay

sjm
08-31-2007, 04:47 AM
In forum fantasyland, we could surely manage to arrange Willie Mosconi vs Irving Crane, but if we can't pull that one off, Thorsten Hohmann Vs Niels Feijen is, in my view, the best 1,000 point match out there.

CreeDo
08-31-2007, 05:26 AM
I like engert and thorsten, you can see them race to 200 in last year's wpc.

I'd wanna see Feijin vs. Nick van den Berg because Niels held the dutch straight pool record for a while, then nick beat it just a few months ago with a run of 293. I think on his site niels said he wants to get it back. They're probably pretty close in straight pool, but maybe nick has a slight edge.. Niels is fresh off a big tournament win tho.

predator
08-31-2007, 05:40 AM
Hohmann vs Yang

Best 14.1 player against best 9baller. I think it would be VERY interesting to see.

Blackjack
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Here's another good one...

John Schmidt VS Alex Pagulayan -

I'd love to see them go at it again, only this time we need to capture it on dvd. If it's anything like the first matchup, it would definitely be a colletor's favorite!

3andstop
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Ralph Farnsworth vs my wife. Ralph couldn't run a half dozen balls if they were by each pocket with ball in hand. My wife .... she chalks the rubber bumper end of the stick. A 1000 point game .... think of it, they'd be gone forever. :D

Seriously, I'd like to see Efren vs Souquet :)

Blackjack
08-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Seriously, I'd like to see Efren vs Souquet :)

Ask and you shall receive -
Its from 2000, but here you go...

Efren Reyes Vs Ralf Souquet - Semi Finals US Open Straight Pool Championships - Roseland Ballroom in NYC (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4427704399620308870&q=souquet+Reyes&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0)

Commentary by Billy Incardona and Nick Varner...

3andstop
08-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Ah yes, thanks David. I actually have a VHS of that match. Thanks for posting the link. I enjoy it so much I thought seeing them in a 1000 pointer would be the ultimate grind of heart! They are so proficient in their individual styles that a 150 point game doesn't seem to do them justice. :)

JayBates
08-31-2007, 11:57 AM
id like to see me vs reyes...well more like me watching reyes play! i just wanna meet reyes thats all :)
jay

J Christensen
09-04-2007, 05:05 AM
I'd love see Mosconi play anybody. I can't believe that there is no film record of any of Mosconi's matches when he was in his prime. As far as an opponent, I'd like to see in order: Ralph Greenleaf, Irving Crane, and Steve Mizerak, all in their primes.

Shawn Armstrong
09-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Schmidt vs. Engert. The battle of the "400" men. Race to 1000. I think this would be one for the ages. Both guys are a testament to the sport, and I think it would be some of the most surgical straight pool ever seen.

nick serdula
09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I watched Crane beat Cranfield in the T St. poolroom for the NY state champeen title in Sarycuse NY in the early 70's. He had to do it from the loosers side. The last game was won by 1 ball when Cranfield was affraid to play safe on a out of position break shot because he knew he couldn't out safety play Crane.
Before the shot Babe looked at the table in deguist threw his cue in the middle of the table and put both elbows on the table resting his jaw in his hands just staring. He did this for a minuite or two!
I could not believe how hard that cue hit the table. He just slid it out of his back hand and let it fly a foot or two onto the table. I never saw anyone treat a cue like that before. It just rang like a bell and I heard it very clearly from across the gaint poolhall. I rember hearing Allen Keil saying o-oh.
Then after all that Babe shot one of the craziest shots banking the ball cross sides and forcing the cueball into the pack 1000 miles a hour. It was his game ball!
He missed and Erving had the open table to pocket one.
Cranfield just unscrewed his cue.
Best match and espcially because all the swetters were saying that Crane was dead on his feet because he had been playing all day. Cranfield was fresh as a daisy because he had left and been relaxing in his room all day!
The odds were against Crane big time.That was a match that no one wanted to bet on and when I watched it I realized why.
Crane was so mentally strong. Babe was so talented. It was fire meeting Ice. Crane was ice. He was a pleasure to watch. Watching Babe was like watching the circus when it came to town. They were opposites in every way but one they both hated to loose!
Nick :)

Reaper114
09-07-2007, 03:57 PM
mizerak vs mosconi, Thorsten vs Reyes, wudnt mind seeing ortmann vs NVberg

CreeDo
09-08-2007, 10:51 AM
now that I think of it, thorsten vs reyes is interesting. I don't think I've seen that, not in straight pool.

rep to nick for a good recap :)

StraightPoolIU
09-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Thorsten vs. Reyes is an interesting concept because you have a technician against a guy who is an all around great and probably the most creative. I'd just like to see all of the things Efren would do at the table and all the situations that would come up in a 1,000 point match.

Bob Jewett
09-09-2007, 11:09 AM
now that I think of it, thorsten vs reyes is interesting. I don't think I've seen that, not in straight pool. ...
Efren is said not to like 14.1. He didn't enter either of the DCC 14.1 challenges (2006 and 2007), and I'm pretty sure he was there.

Reaper114
09-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Even if Reyes doesnt like 14-1, I think we'd all still like to seem him play against a top quality player in the disipline, Its the curiousity of what he's capable of doing at 14-1 that makes it appealing !!!!!!

nick serdula
09-09-2007, 02:16 PM
One of my friends that knew him in the Philipines before he came here. He said Efrin found nothing hard about it. First time he tried he ran to about 150 and just walked away from the table. He was told Efrin said it was too easy!

Blackjack
09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
One of my friends that knew him in the Philipines before he came here. He said Efrin found nothing hard about it. First time he tried he ran to about 150 and just walked away from the table. He was told Efrin said it was too easy!

Straight pool is too easy? Okay. :p :p :p

No offense to Efren Reyes, but I have heard many players tell this same exact story. These stories all have one thing in common ... I don't believe any of them.

This is why:

When I was about 14 years old I asked Steve Mizerak why players were gravitating towards 9 ball and away from straight pool. Steve said that it was because a lot of players lacked the discipline necessary to properly learn how to play straight pool. Games such as 9 ball were faster, easier to gamble with, etc. Straight pool took too long, and little by little it was eased out. When it was "eased out" it wasn't because the game was so easy. That is like saying that one pocket is too easy ( on second thought, maybe 1 pocket is too easy for Reyes). :p

If running 150 was so easy, why is it that not everybody is out there doing it every day? Admittedly, Efren is a special player, quite possibly the greatest player to ever play the game of pool. I find it kind of silly to hear this story, primarily because I have watched Efren get in a groove playing 14.1 and I have also seen him struggle just like everybody else. That's the nature of the beast known as 14.1 - and that is what makes it such a great measuring stick.

Steve Lipsky
09-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree with David completely. Also, anytime you hear a story about someone running a lot of balls and just walking away, you might as well disregard it as untrue, and also make a mental note to not believe much coming from that source ever again.

- Steve

nick serdula
09-10-2007, 09:25 AM
You read too much into my post. It was too easy for Efrin. The reason poeple gamble more to 9 ball and one hole is you can make it look close and still win. And they are faster games.
Straight is the opposite. You know right away if your opponent runs 100 or more and out the action is usually over.
If you ever watched Efrin play 15 ball rotation you might understand how much harder it is to run out but after making a few moves Efrin does it all the time.
Straight pool is no easy disiplin but for gambling it has disadvantages save one it is the one game that can bust a poolroom! Everyone bets on the lock. Then they usually find out there is no lock.

I would however love to see any of the younger players match up on a backed cloth table. I think there would be very few runs over 100 only because you have to break the balls at different angles to explode the pack and shoot so much harder and still strok the rock for the action you want to put on it. Many break shots on todays cloth go nowhere on backed cloth and alot of players with 19 oz and lighter cues might find out they are almost helpless on the slow stuff.
This is why women can compete with men today. The cloth allows it. The power needed to play on the older stuff is not needed today. I really think it takes away alot from a skill point of view.
This is not a put down but a fact. The same players would dominate. They just would have a way harder time with it.
JMO