PDA

View Full Version : Help with new straight pool "league"

Club Billiards
09-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey, I need a little push in the right direction here. I figured this would be the best place to look. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is a "league" or what it would be called. I have several players interested in playing straight pool once a week in a structured event. What I'm looking to do if it's possible is set something up where anyone who becomes interested in the future could join at any time. However, I'd also like to encourage people to NOT just drop out at any time.

selftaut
09-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi Josh, visit my website at www.14and1.com , its a handicap format 14.1 league that I have set up nationwide, there is a start-up package offered that has everything needed to easily setup and run a league. All info and contact is on the site and if I can help in any way contact me from the contact page.

Kev
14and1.com

On letting players enter at anytime I don't think a league format would allow that, only a tournament format. Although if enough interest you could always go for league #2 and start it up. Or encourage these players to sign up for next session.

Club Billiards
09-04-2007, 03:21 PM
How long do your sessions typically run? 3 months? 6 months?

selftaut
09-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Josh , length it runs is according to the number of players, minimum of 5 players and max of 16 players, each player plays the others twice round robin. Typical league is 8 to 10 players, 8 players runs 14 weeks. You may run more than 1 league concurrently. No set starting date by 14and1.com, you start anytime you like, but to have your top 2 qualify for the 14and1.com Nationals in May 16-18 2008 the league must end before May 10th '08 or they qualify for the 2009 Nationals. Any questions at all give me an email from the site.

3andstop
09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Perhaps on an individual room level something along the lines of a weekly tournament with a percentage of the entry going toward a finals event that you may add to slightly if desired.

Players could accumulate points for qualifying in this final session which would be perhaps entry free, or a smaller amount.

Points could be awarded for just showing up for a weekly tourney and extra points awarded for each round won.

If for example there were 12 interested parties initially you could make the finals based on an 8 player field with the top eight qualifying.

Anyone could step in to play in a weekly event, but if they don't keep up, they wouldn't get those "showup" points.

Would this be something like what you are asking about?

Club Billiards
09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Perhaps on an individual room level something along the lines of a weekly tournament with a percentage of the entry going toward a finals event that you may add to slightly if desired.

Players could accumulate points for qualifying in this final session which would be perhaps entry free, or a smaller amount.

Points could be awarded for just showing up for a weekly tourney and extra points awarded for each round won.

If for example there were 12 interested parties initially you could make the finals based on an 8 player field with the top eight qualifying.

Anyone could step in to play in a weekly event, but if they don't keep up, they wouldn't get those "showup" points.

Would this be something like what you are asking about?

Yeah, that sounds great. The problem with a weekly tournament format for us is the room size. We currently have a 2500 sq ft room with 2 big tables and the rest bar tables. We're expanding our space before the end of the year and will have at least 6 tournament tables, but that may still be brutal to support a weekly tournament if I get more than 10-12 players. (Side note....how often have you heard of poolroooms expanding recently?!?!?!) Anyway... we were thinking of more of a league structure with payouts at the end of a session, mainly because I've heard of 14.1 leagues in other areas playing 1 match per week per player. The players contact their opponents to schedule a time to play their match that week, but the house doesn't designate a specific time. I think with the 14.1 format, that sounds like it could work out nice. I like your input though. If you have any other thoughts, please please keep them coming. I'm all ears right now! Thanks!

Bob Jewett
09-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Hey, I need a little push in the right direction here. I figured this would be the best place to look. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is a "league" or what it would be called. I have several players interested in playing straight pool once a week in a structured event. What I'm looking to do if it's possible is set something up where anyone who becomes interested in the future could join at any time. However, I'd also like to encourage people to NOT just drop out at any time.

(There was a fairly long thread just a couple of weeks ago in the main forum about starting a straight pool league. Here are my comments copied from that thread. There were lots of other good comments in that thread. I'll try to include a link to it, but I think links to threads don't always work.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=72537 )

I prefer the handicapping method we use locally. It guarantees more or less 100% handicaps (which you may not want, but that's your decision), and allows you to adjust the length of each match to the speed/level of the players.

It is described in the article at http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2003-06.pdf except that now we are adjusting ratings 3 points for each match won or lost after each week, with new players being adjusted at 6 points per match. This is very, very simple to do and you can keep track on a single sheet of paper for the season.

A table of match charts for various length matches is at http://www.sfbilliards.com/14.1_charts.htm

A previous article about handicapping in general is at http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/1996-12.pdf

Club Billiards
09-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Thank you for all the info Bob. I've got plenty to consider now!