PDA

View Full Version : Drop in level of play as a match goes on

kryptonite9
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
After playing and watching this week in Thorndale's invitational tournament I noticed a strong trend in both my play as well as the top players. Most of the play would degrade as the match progesses. The middle of the game would have numerous mistakes that did not look possible in the start as players were running balls. To me it did not look like a fatigue issue because when a new match would start, the high runs would start right up again.

So some questions to the better straight pool players here:
What are the reasons behind these gaps in good play?
What can be done to improve the consistency of per inning runs in longer games?

nick serdula
09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
When a player steps away from the table in any game the can loose their rythm. Starting fresh and getting into a rythm is natural. Giving up the table wether intintionally or not always can lead to a player loosing their natural rythm as the face opponents arguements so to speak. In other words saftey play or two way shots.
The best players always seem to stay on top becuase they pretty much know what will happen as you face their arguements and are prepared for their next inning so the don't break their rythm. In other words they stay in control.
Nick :)

Reaper114
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
After playing and watching this week in Thorndale's invitational tournament I noticed a strong trend in both my play as well as the top players. Most of the play would degrade as the match progesses. The middle of the game would have numerous mistakes that did not look possible in the start as players were running balls. To me it did not look like a fatigue issue because when a new match would start, the high runs would start right up again.

So some questions to the better straight pool players here:
What are the reasons behind these gaps in good play?
What can be done to improve the consistency of per inning runs in longer games?

Its something i tend to struggle with at times in practice and sometimes although very rarely in competitions. i think its mainly about concentration and having lapses in that. I know if i lapse it will be around the two hour mark depends on mainly whom im playing and whether il be punished etc! simply at times i take things for granted or i jus dont give a shot the full concentration it requires and i make a mistake! If im lucky enough not to hav missed or can shoot another option il step back from the table for a minute take a few deep breaths and go at it again. I also find that when on a high run and struggling to concentrate il slow down the last few shots of each rack and take more time than usual to analyse situations and then all of a sudden you get a energy burst and your back in the zone!

What can be to improve consistency... hmm well id say its all about the practicing! try push your mental barriers and setting goals while practicing, and constantly trying to improve. when u do feel yourself getting tired while on a high run finish the rack, take a small break try and focus, take a sip of a cold drink, slow down a little bit, and force yourself to play threw it,

In sum tournaments you can hav intervals between sets which is gr8 for jus freshing up and re focusing the mind.

Sometimes if i feel like rubbish on a very long run or in the later stages of a tournament, Ill see if i can pop out to the toilet, Splash some water on the face, actually go to the toilet and freshen up quickly. Come back in a new frame of mind.
Its a skill that you can aquire over time, some are naturally blessed with it but every player has too work hard to play at a high level when going through a tough period and its the great players who manage this!!

Hope that helps in answering the questions

R114