PDA

View Full Version : zoning in in straightpool

Solartje
09-11-2007, 04:41 AM
Hi all,

had the first team match last night of the new season, and as usual im the 14-1'player and i won it with a nice score 50 vs -10. my game of 8-ball before was horrible, but after 10 balls of straight i was in it.

made a 15 from my opponents break, and played a safety after my breakball got kicked in the triangle :s, then again a 15 and a safety, then we played some safety's, he made 3 fauls, then i run another 12, he run 5, and then i run out. :D loved it

now my question is: i usually only get in my confort zone in 8 or 9-ball, after... lets say 5-10 racks. im a VERY slow starter, guess my brain runs on diesel.

now in straightpool its a hole different story, let me run 5 ball's and i'm playing like ive been warming up for 3 hours. is it purely because i like the game more, that i feel more confident? is it because you are running more balls that gives you a confidence boost?

14-1 is the only game where i really get into a trance, ive never experienced in other games.
Its kinda like in atheltics.

when i did longjump, 200m sprint, anything like this, i got pumped up with adrenaline, but i was very aware of everything that happened, especially the startshot.
BUT
when i run 3000m or 5000m , after 800m i got into a trance. i was running, but i wasnt aware i was running, i was feeling no pain, i was just in a trance.

This is exactly what i have in straightpool. in short racks like 8b and 9b, i dont get the trance of a 14-1 game....

any explenation? im I the only one? and help? (cuz it doesnt help my 8b and 9b game)

OneArmed
09-14-2007, 11:46 AM
I seem to have the same problem in 8 ball as I do in straight pool. In the midgame, once my rhythm is broken, i lose that "trance" state. I've been trying to keep my concentration in long SP matches or long 8/9 ball races, but I always seem to lose it.

I'm going lay off the RedBull and see if that does the trick... :)

tpdtom
10-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I think that when you play 14.1 , your average shot is 2-3 feet, maybe much less, whereas in 8 or 9 Ball, you're shooting the length of the table right away. It can happen that you start the game in Straight Pool with a long shot, as in returning the opening break, but in general you get half a chance to get in stroke slowly. That's the way I perceive it anyway. I also think that if you have a passion for something, and we do for 14.1 or we probably wouldn't be here in this forum, we are likely to have the confidence and the concentration to get in the zone quickly. Great feeling isn't it ? Good luck...Tom

playonepocket
10-11-2007, 09:23 PM
It is easier to exclude your opponent playing straight pool. When you are at the table, the possibilities are endless. I feel that I am more in control when playing straight pool. Knowing that my opponent NEVER has to shoot again helps me get into that "zone".

Nekdo
10-12-2007, 01:18 PM
If I`m playing good and have a nice layout in the first rack,I dont`t hear, see or feel anything else.Just cue,chalk,balls.Its a great feeling.It doesn`t matter even if i loose and do stupid things later in the game.but...If i mess up first few balls then it`s a struggle through out the whole game.
In 9b I get in the zone very late in the game.First I must lose few racks.I won a numerous times being 8-0 or 8-2 down in a race to 9.This is the reason why I absolutly hate handicaped tournaments with races to 2,3,4.It`s just nonsense for me.Waste of time and money:rolleyes: