PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NJ Straight Pool Championship

Blackjack
09-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I saw this posted over at the CCB, and I figured I would repost it over here - It is from Jack Colavita Jr - and it is announcing this annual tournament started by Jack Sr. Hope to see a lot of great players show for this one!

On September 28th through September 30th, Comet Billiards in Parsippany New Jersey is holding the 6th (2007) Jack Colavita Memorial NJ Straight ool championship.

My dad (Jack Colavita) passed away 2 years ago on 9/20, it is very heartening that his passion to revive the game of straight pool has continued in his name.

I thank everyone (including Bill Haley owner of Comet Billiards).. to continue the passion of my fathers legacy in continuing this great event.

I will be here on Friday September 28th with my Mom Lee and sister Cindy..

Hope to see all you straight pool buffs show up and support this great cause... Straight pool has begun to pick up some popularity and interest based on this years prestigious World Straight Pool Championship....

Keep the true game of champions alive.....

Thanks to all...

Sincerally, Jack Colavita Jr...

sjm
09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
The first pool mentor I had, other than my dad, was Jack Colavita, whom I met in the mid 1970's and who helped me, on and off, with my game until about 1986. He was a gifted player with one of the prettiest strokes you ever saw. In 1981, he was voted by his PPPA peers as having the best stroke on the tour, high praise given that a fellow named Mizerak also competed on that tour.

Jack Colavita is sorely missed, but his legacy lives on and the NJ Straight Pool Championships will serve as a reminder of his excellence. In the 1970's, New Jersey gave us Jack, along with Steve Mizerak, Ray Martin, Tom Jennings, Jose Garcia, and Allen Hopkins. Must be something in that New Jersey water!

Williebetmore
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
The first pool mentor I had, other than my dad, was Jack Colavita, whom I met in the mid 1970's and who helped me, on and off, with my game until about 1986......

sjm,
You met Jack during a time when the old school masters were fairly secretive about the finer points of the game. Could you possibly guess as to why he decided to share with you????:) :) :) :)

Gerry
09-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Jack was one of the coolest guys I have ever met at a 14.1 tourney. We had a couple of matches together at the annual Pete Sinkler event. Between matches he filled my head with wisdom while we would watch guys like Allen, Sigel, Barouti, Maidhoff etc.....

I think He realized I was a young guy who loved the same game they all did and I think when you get older all the "secret info crap" goes out the window and preserving the game becomes more important IMO.

I'm going to the event, I know that! introduce yourselves if you bump into me, I'll have a D&D Billiards/Pete Sinkler tourney t-shirt on.

Gerry

Williebetmore
09-18-2007, 06:23 AM
I think He realized I was a young guy who loved the same game they all did and I think when you get older all the "secret info crap" goes out the window and preserving the game becomes more important IMO.

Gerry

G-man,
Actually I was fishing for sjm to tell us a very entertaining story about JC...his view of what qualifies a person to receive such information.

highrun55
09-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Jack was one of the coolest guys I have ever met at a 14.1 tourney. We had a couple of matches together at the annual Pete Sinkler event. Between matches he filled my head with wisdom while we would watch guys like Allen, Sigel, Barouti, Maidhoff etc.....

I'm going to the event, I know that! introduce yourselves if you bump into me, I'll have a D&D Billiards/Pete Sinkler tourney t-shirt on.

Gerry

Jack is really missed here at D&D Family Billiards,
he was a pleasure to watch playing 14-1, he always had a story for me when he was in town.
And he kept the room on there toes.

mickey
highrun55

sjm
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
sjm,
You met Jack during a time when the old school masters were fairly secretive about the finer points of the game. Could you possibly guess as to why he decided to share with you????:) :) :) :)

Well, to answer this honestly, I'm going to have to embarass myself. Jack once noted that there were two types of players he was happiest to help: a) young enthusiastic players (I was 18 when I first played Jack), and b) serious players that he didn't consider a threat to ever compete successfully against him at the pro level. He told me I qualified on both counts!

Jack may have been a little less secretive than some of the other old masters, perhaps due in part to the fact that Gene Nagy helped him with his 14.1 breakshots. Jack always considered Gene to be the most knowledgeable person in the world about what speed, attack angle, and stroke to select on the 14.1 breakshot.

Williebetmore
09-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, to answer this honestly, I'm going to have to embarass myself. Jack once noted that there were two types of players he was happiest to help: a) young enthusiastic players (I was 18 when I first played Jack), and b) serious players that he didn't consider a threat to ever compete successfully against him at the pro level. He told me I qualified on both counts!

sjm,
Thanks for the replay....you took it like a man.

At least you can count yourself lucky that you didn't have to ask Jack more recently.....you would have failed the test on both counts.:) :)

frankwhite
09-20-2007, 03:52 PM
sjm,
Thanks for the replay....you took it like a man.

At least you can count yourself lucky that you didn't have to ask Jack more recently.....you would have failed the test on both counts.:) :)

I don't think that comment was to funny, myman................:mad:

Williebetmore
09-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't think that comment was to funny, myman................:mad:

FW,
Actually sjm had told me this story before, and I believe he added a very similar afterthought to what I posted. I didn't want to "steal" his story; but it was definitely one of the best I have heard.

If sjm was offended, I sincerely apologize. I meant no disrespect, just attempting to inject some humor.

Steve Lipsky
09-21-2007, 06:59 AM
FW,
Actually sjm had told me this story before, and I believe he added a very similar afterthought to what I posted. I didn't want to "steal" his story; but it was definitely one of the best I have heard.

If sjm was offended, I sincerely apologize. I meant no disrespect, just attempting to inject some humor.

Willie,

Frank was offended by your seeming implication that SJM couldn't ask that question anymore because Jack has passed on. Frank was very close to Jack.

However, Frank, you misread Willie's comments. What Willie meant was that if he had asked Jack more recently to help, Jack would not have because

a) SJM is no longer a kid; and
b) SJM played in a pro event

Thus, Jack would have said no to helping SJM because his rule (see SJM's first post) would have "failed on both counts". It was a joke by Willie, and a funny one at that.

Frank and Willie, you two are among the nicest guys I know - this was a total misunderstanding. Hope there are no hard feelings.

- Steve

Williebetmore
09-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Willie,

Frank was offended by your seeming implication that SJM couldn't ask that question anymore because Jack has passed on. Frank was very close to Jack.
- Steve

SL,
OUCH!!! I didn't even think of that implication. Sorry Frank. I knew that Jack had passed away; and was very sad that I never had the chance to meet him (I had been planning a road trip to New Jersey just for the chance to meet him). His Accu-Stats commentary at least gives us some hint of his character; VERY IMPRESSIVE. A great loss to pool.

P.S. - thanks for the clarification Steve; that was exactly what I meant (I should just quit posting while at work - not enough time to really express myself clearly).

Njhustler1
09-21-2007, 07:34 AM
I saw this posted over at the CCB, and I figured I would repost it over here - It is from Jack Colavita Jr - and it is announcing this annual tournament started by Jack Sr. Hope to see a lot of great players show for this one!

On September 28th through September 30th, Comet Billiards in Parsippany New Jersey is holding the 6th (2007) Jack Colavita Memorial NJ Straight ool championship.

My dad (Jack Colavita) passed away 2 years ago on 9/20, it is very heartening that his passion to revive the game of straight pool has continued in his name.

I thank everyone (including Bill Haley owner of Comet Billiards).. to continue the passion of my fathers legacy in continuing this great event.

I will be here on Friday September 28th with my Mom Lee and sister Cindy..

Hope to see all you straight pool buffs show up and support this great cause... Straight pool has begun to pick up some popularity and interest based on this years prestigious World Straight Pool Championship....

Keep the true game of champions alive.....

Thanks to all...

Sincerally, Jack Colavita Jr...

Where can we read more about this tournament (i.e. starting times, entry fees, etc...)?

Blackjack
09-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Where can we read more about this tournament (i.e. starting times, entry fees, etc...)?

I guess you'd have to call Comet Billiards... I'm sure they could fill you in on all of the particulars.

973) 334-7429

Blackjack
09-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Here is a link for their events at their website...

2007 NJ 14.1 StraightPool Championships (http://www.cometbilliards.com/events.nxg)

frankwhite
09-22-2007, 11:14 PM
SL,
OUCH!!! I didn't even think of that implication. Sorry Frank. I knew that Jack had passed away; and was very sad that I never had the chance to meet him (I had been planning a road trip to New Jersey just for the chance to meet him). His Accu-Stats commentary at least gives us some hint of his character; VERY IMPRESSIVE. A great loss to pool.

P.S. - thanks for the clarification Steve; that was exactly what I meant (I should just quit posting while at work - not enough time to really express myself clearly).

I do apologize myself. I loved Jack like he was my grandfather. I potected him when he was alive and when we went on the road, and will always. Once again Im sorry if I took it the wrong way, but it hit a nerve when I heard that post.
Hey Stevie, what's up brother???

Frankie